Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Something's Wrong series

Past and Present

by Anaknisatanas 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry - Published: 2008-06-14 - Updated: 2008-06-14 - 3224 words

0Unrated


AN: Another huge thanks goes out to Mandi who is my muse for this story. She really helped me when I was growing frustrated over how to go about doing Christmas... go thanks a bunch for your help in calming me so I could write this!!



PAST AND PRESENT



Narcissa was a pleasant hostess. She directed the House Elves to take their luggage up to rooms that had been set aside for them and then graciously allowed them time to refresh themselves if needed. Mrs. Longbottom and Harry both declined and so Narcissa showed them into a large sitting room.



"Would anyone care for some tea?" Narcissa asked politely.



"No thank you," Harry declined and Mrs. Longbottom echoed him.



"Now Mr. Potter, perhaps you can explain a few things now that we've arrived safely,"Mrs. Longbottom sat primly on a chair, handbag perched on her lap.



"I am at your disposal madam," Harry said sitting across from her.



Narcissa sat in a chair very near Harry's making it clear that although she herself did not know much about the situation she was more inclined to supporting Harry since he had her son's support already. Harry gave the beautiful blond witch a dazzling smile before focusing most of his attention back on the formidable Longbottom matriarch.



"I may not be part of Albus Dumbledore's group but I am a Light supporter," Mrs. Longbottom informed him proudly. "And Iwant to know exactly what you're involving my Neville in."



"My group is mostly made up of students from Hogwarts," Harry kept a calm expression on his face. "We call ourselves the Founders Order. We intend to fight against Voldemort but we want to take things a bit further as well. There are things about the Wizarding world that we don't approve of and that we feel need to change. One example being that those who are Muggleborn or Muggle raised should take at least two years of classes about the Wizarding world, our customs and history of the great families and some of the more important wizards and witches of our past. We feel that Dumbledore is eroding our culture and that the Ministry is too weak to do much of anything."



"And just how do you intend to fight against You-Know-Who?" Mrs. Longbottom used the ridiculous nickname but coming from her it was used as an insult rather than out of fear.



"We intend to defend Hogwarts and Hogsmeade should Voldemort or his people attack us," Harry kept his green eyes firmly locked on Mrs. Longbottom's steady gaze. "It is also possible that we will take the school out of Dumbledore's control and use it as a base of operations or we might use Malfoy Manor since Draco has offered it to us. If we feel we can't remain at school, we intend to study in our free time and take the NEWTs while we work on fighting against Voldemort where his forces pop up."



"High ambitions," Mrs. Longbottom commented.



"As my son has already pledged to you I do the same," Narcissa's pale blue eyes were firm. "The Malfoy's are behind you in this Harry Potter. If you would like Iwill see if I can win you more allies to your cause."



"Thank you Narcissa," Harry smiled warmly at the elegant witch. "Your support is greatly appreciated."



The door to the sitting room opened and Neville came in followed by Daphne.



"Come in and please sit down," Narcissa said warmly. "Shall I have the House Elves bring some refreshments for you?"



"Yes please Narcissa," Daphne said seating herself beside Harry. "Your home is as lovely as Iremember."



"Thank you," Narcissa said as she called for a House Elf.



Soon a tea service appeared with enough cups for all the guests present in the Manor. Narcissa poured, handing one first to Harry and then Mrs. Longbottom before serving Neville, Daphne and finally herself. Harry was not at all surprised that she considered him more important and powerful than Neville's grandmother but he would have preferred it if she had served the Longbottom matriarch first.



"Neville do you honestly intend to go along with Mr. Potter's schemes?" His grandmother asked the normally timid Gryffindor.



"I do Grandmother," Neville showed his backbone. "I think that Harry's right and I support him. I'm part of the Founders Order and proud of it. I stood by Harry in the Department of Mysteries and I stand by him now."



"Thanks Nev," Harry lifted his tea cup slightly to his year mate.



"I don't like it Neville," Mrs. Longbottom said frowning. "I think it's time we returned home."



"Then you'll be going home alone," Neville sat resolutely in his chair. "I'm sorry Gran but this is what I believe in and you may not like it but it's my life."



Mrs. Longbottom stared at Neville for a long moment before she finally nodded and to the surprise of all remained seated rather than leaving. She took a sip of her tea and ignored the shocked expression on her grandson's face and Daphne's discreet stares.



"It seems you command a great deal of respect Mr. Potter," The Longbottom matriarch set her cup and saucer on the table. "Very well then. I'll spend my holidays here with my grandson and give my answer on Christmas if the Longbottom's will support this scheme of yours."



"Thank you Mrs. Longbottom," Harry gave her a smile. "Daphne do you know what's keeping the others?"



"Hermione wanted to see the Library," Daphne shrugged her shoulders.



Hermione's parents left after they had been at the Manor for two days. They had closed their dental practice and had moved to the States to escape the wrath of Voldemort's Death Eaters. This way Hermione would not need to worry about her parents and could focus all her attention on the war. The now wavy haired girl was sad to see them go but the company of Harry and her other friends helped.



"Hermione are you sure that you don't want to go with them?" Harry asked a final time as her parents were getting ready to leave by portkey.



"You've been my best friend for nearly six years Harry," Hermione pushed her wavy hair behind an ear. "I'm part of this world and I plan to help you change things. I'm not leaving, besides you need someone to offset all the purebloods in this group."



Harry held her tightly, burying his face in her hair, "Don't ever change Hermione."



Harry left the girl alone and sought out Pansy and Daphne. Both females were with Narcissa seated together quietly chatting and laughing. Narcissa noticed him first and asked him to join in.



"You look as though something is on your mind," Narcissa said as Harry pulled up a chair.



"You're wearing a glamour," Pansy stared hard at him.



Daphne frowned, "Take the glamour off Harry, and show us what you're hiding."



"It's nothing," He tried to dismiss it.



Pansy swiftly picked up her wand and used several spells she knew of to get rid of glamours. Harry's charms disappeared and the three women saw the dark circles under his eyes and that he now looked a little thin. Harry stiffened but did not react in any other way. His green eyes were dull. Narcissa reached out and grasped one of his hands.



"You look terrible," Pansy bluntly informed him.



"You need to rest more," Narcissa said gently to him. "And I want you to take advantage of the Manor's House Elves so we can put a bit of weight back on you. Even though I don't know you well you have done so much for my Draco. I am not your mother but if you'll let me Iwill care for you."



Harry glanced at Narcissa up through his bangs, "I'd like that," He whispered.



"From now on I'm going to be looking after you too," Pansy declared. "We can't have you falling to pieces on us."



"You should listen to Pan here," Daphne nodded at her friend. "She'll take good care of you."



"We may not be your relatives Potter but we do care about what happens to you," Pansy tilted her chin up. "More than our future lies with you."



"Narcissa would you please show me where the kitchens in the Manor are?" Harry requested gaining back some control. "I'd like to make myself something to eat. I find that cooking helps me relax."



"Of course Harry," Narcissa stood and put her arm through Harry's.



Narcissa led him down to the kitchens. Three House Elves looked up from their work and one came over and politely asked what they needed. Narcissa led Harry over to awork space that was unoccupied and had the Elves getHarry the ingredients he needed to do some baking. She sat unobtrusively at a small table watching Harry work.



"You seem to have everything well in hand," She remarked observing him closely. "How long have you been able to cook?"



"I started when I was four," Harry answered without thinking as he measured out flour and sugar. "My aunt Petunia taught me. I started cooking by myself for the Dursley's when I was five, just breakfast though. But when I was seven I cooked nearly everything."



"You were just a child!" Narcissa protested. "Don't bother to defend your relatives to me Harry. A child should not be doing work like that all on their own, but clearly they never allowed you to be a child."



"I didn't miss out on too much," He shrugged self-consciously. "I had a roof over my head."



"And very little else I imagine," Narcissa seethed inwardly. "I've watched you over the past few days. You're much older than the other's here, no longer a child or teenager."



She stood as Harry put his coffee cake in the over to bake. Before he could turn to say something to her she wrapped him in her arms and held him tightly.



"You are awonderful person Harry Potter," Narcissa told him loosening her hold only abit. "I will shower you with affection but I promise to try my best to treat you as the adult you obviously are."



"Why do you care?" Harry closed his eyes tightly to keep tears from escaping. "I don't need anything, please."



"You deserve more than what you have dear," Narcissa stroked the back of his head refusing to let go. "I care because I am a mother, because I can tell that beneath everything you are hurting and you don't deserve it. You are not weak for needing another's affection."



Harry awkwardly hugged Narcissa back, desperately holding on as shudders wracked his slim frame. No tears fell and Narcissa held back just as tightly whispering soothing phrases and occasionally stroking his hair. After several long minutes Harry began to breathe easier and relaxed his hold on Draco's mother.



"Thank you," Harry said.



"Any time dear one," Narcissa drew back a bit to study his face. "I want you to promise me something Harry."



"What Narcissa?" Harry asked.



"That if someone says something to you, you will let me to respond back as a mother would," Narcissa smiled gently as held both of Harry's hands. "I won't fight your fights for you but I will support you. I won't try and shelter you from everything and everyone but I will defend you so you are not alone. I know what I am doing Harry, the dangers and losses and stresses that will come along. I was married to Lucius Malfoy and before that I was a Black. Don't be afraid to lean on me and don't be afraid to speak of hopes and dreams to me."



"I will try Narcissa," Harry drew in a shaky breath. "I'm still worried about the Dursley's, in spite of everything they did."



"That makes you better than them Harry dear," Narcissa spoke softly. "Do you want them moved to the Manor? We can put them in a guest house rather than in the main house if that will make you more comfortable. And yes, I will protect you even from them, don't try and tell me not to. But I will be civil and polite about it."



"I think having them come here might be best," Harry looked a bit uncertain and vulnerable. "Or at least giving them the option."



Narcissa nodded, "Would you like me to contact Gringotts on your behalf and have them approach your relatives? Or could you like to send them a message or just Apparate over?"



"Could we Apparate over?" He asked hesitantly. "That is if you want to."



"Of course I want to," Narcissa told him. "I wouldn't want you to go there alone. I suppose I should go and put on some Muggle clothing. Come with me dear one."



She took Harry up to her wing of the Manor. Quickly she changed her clothing to a gray dress shirt and a long black skirt. Harry was already dressed in jeans and a sweater. Narcissa grabbed his arm and Apparated them to the Dursley'sbackyard. It was no surprise to Harry to see that the grass needed cutting and that there were some weeds poking about in the flower beds.



Narcissa walked with Harry around to the front of the house. Upon seeing his hesitation she knocked briskly on the door. The two could hear loud footsteps approaching and Harry stiffened slightly but Narcissa put acomforting hand on his shoulder.



The door was opened by a heavy-set man with a thick mustache opened the door. He opened his mouth to say something but when he caught sight of Harry his face turned purple with anger.



"Now what's going on here?" He loudly demanded.



"Good afternoon Mr. Dursley," Narcissa gave the Muggle acool stare. "Mr. Potter and I wish to have a word with you and your wife and then we will be on our way. Of course if you insist we could just speak out here."



"No, no come in," Mr. Dursley opened the door wider and Narcissa swept imperiously inside with a sniff.



"What are you doing here boy?" Mrs. Dursley screeched when she saw Harry standing in the living room. "We aren't taking you for the holidays."



"As if Iwould allow Mr. Potter to reside here," Narcissa looked distastefully around the room.



"Aunt Petunia, I know you don't like my kind," Harry carefully avoided the word wizard. "I'm not sure if my Headmaster told you that Voldemort is back. I'm not sure how well protected you and Uncle Vernon are here when I'm not staying here. Dudley would be safe at school but Voldemort might try and attack here. I am hoping you would allow Narcissa to put up a few more wards and charm an item as a portkey to take you to safety if someone attacks your home."



"I am only doing this for Harry's sake," Narcissa looked at the thin long necked woman.



"Let me talk this over with Vernon,"Petunia rose from the couch and took her husband into the kitchen.



"They are distasteful Muggles," Narcissa noted.



"They aren't always so bad," Harry weakly defended. "Last summer was tolerable since they mostly ignored me."



Narcissa could only shake her head at that. Several long tense minutes passed with Narcissa and Harry standing waiting in the living room. Narcissa had no desire to sit on the Muggles furniture and Harry knew that he was not welcome to. After nearly a quarter of an hour the two returned to the living room and sat on the couch.



"We discussed your offer and decided to accept it for now," Petunia looked as though she had bit into a sour lemon.



"Very well," Narcissa inclined her head. "Harry, you'll need to make the portkey. I'll help you to make sure that the portkey will be able to get through all the wards."



The witch observed Harry pick up a bauble from the fireplace mantle and turn it into a portkey. She inspected it and gave Harry a smile when she found it to be done correctly.



"All you have to do to activate it is touch it and say haven," Harry explained to his aunt and uncle. "It will take you to aguest wing of the Manor. When you arrive a House Elf will appear before you and bring you refreshments and alert either Narcissa or I and one of us will come to you."



Petunia Dursley nodded her understanding.



Narcissa went out back and placed a few warning wards and one that would at least stall someone with bad intentions against the Dursley'sfrom entering their home. She then took Harry's hand and the two disappeared from the Dursleyresidence. They appeared back in Narcissa's wing at the Manor. Harry was pale but more relaxed now that he was away from his relatives. Narcissa discreetly summoned a House Elf and had it bring up some of Harry's coffee cake. The two sat down to a private tea.



Christmas morning was a bright affair. Narcissa spoiled her son and Harry whom she had partially adopted in much the same way Molly Weasley had. Harry had spoken with Narcissa on several occasions with just the two of them. He had confessed that while he enjoyed the attention he received from Mrs. Weasleyshe treated him more like one of her own sheltered offspring rather than his own person. Narcissa was pleased that he trusted her enough to confide some of the things he had endured while growing up and a few things of his adventures while at Hogwarts.



Everyone present in the family drawing room received a gift from Narcissa, although in Harry and Draco's case they received several from the stunning witch. Mrs. Longbottom had also gotten each person asingle gift and several more for Neville. Harry had gone over the top and had bought everyone more than one gift, although it had been hard to find things for the Longbottom matriarch.



"Merry Christmas Mrs. Longbottom," Harry said as he handed her the two gifts he had picked out for her.



He watched as she opened them. The first was a wine red shawl with the Longbottom crest discreetly sewn onto the back in a slightly lighter red. The second gift was aWizarding history book on Godric Gryffindor, his ancestors and descendants. Mrs. Longbottom gave him a black cloak with aGryffin on the back.



"Merry Christmas to you as well Mr. Potter," The Longbottom matriarch gave a nod. "I trust that the alliance between the Potter and Longbottom families will be beneficial to both. You've gathered quite a few unusual allies as well, particularly the Malfoy's."



"I'm glad you've deemed me worthy of allying with," Harry was grateful.



"You're asteady young man and I know that you will do all you can to accomplish what you outlined earlier on in my visit," Mrs. Longbottom said seriously. "You've also helped bring my Neville out of his shell and that alone deserves thanks."



Harry could only nod in embarrassment. The Order members spent the rest of the day relaxing, indulging in sweets and each others company. It was the best Christmas that Harry had ever had. For the rest it held the promises of what could be brought to them if they worked hard enough for it and continued to earn it.

Sign up to rate and review this story