Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Something's Wrong series

Thievry and Wards

by Anaknisatanas 3 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Fred,George,Harry,Snape - Published: 2008-06-14 - Updated: 2008-06-14 - 3964 words

1TrainWreck


A/N: I can't believe I lost the beta'd version of this! smacks self But my beta reassured me that there weren't any glaring errors so I just decided to post it as is. If you do happen to notice an error let me know. Reviews are always appreciated. And thanks to Jaybird for continuing to help me with this story.



THIEVRY AND WARDS



Hermione nervously tugged on a lock of her curly hair as she rode up the stairs to the Headmaster's office. She had no idea why she had been summoned. Despite her insecurities and worry she kept her mental shields up, ready to be reinforced at a moments notice. She was glad that Ron had not been told to come with her; his shields were adequate at best. She rechecked her shields as she knocked on the door and was bid to enter by a cheerful sounding Dumbledore.



"Good morning Miss Granger," Dumbledore twinkled at her from behind his desk. "Lemon drop?"



"Thank you no," Hermione sat carefully in one of the chairs.



"How were your holidays Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asked.



Hermione felt a spike of fear flow through her, "Good sir. I spent them with friends while my parents went out of the country to celebrate twenty years of marriage."



"Splendid! Miss Granger, which friends were you with?" Dumbledore still twinkled but it was more forced.



"My mum has a friend from dental school she keeps in touch with and so I went and stayed with her for the holidays," Hermione lied straight-faced. "She's like an aunt to me and her parents passed away shortly before I came here to Hogwarts."



"I see,"Dumbledore nodded. "Do you know where Harry spent his holidays?"



"I thought he was going to headquarters?" Hermione pretended to be confused. "That's what we thought at least."



"Does he have any other close friends he might have gone home with?" Dumbledore put on the grandfatherly act with precision. "I need to know where he was for his own good to make sure that we can accurately protect him next time."



"He might have gone to the Longbottoms," Hermione said using the fabricated story they had come up with. "I know that Mrs. Longbottom is a formidable witch and she'd be able to keep Harry protected sir. Besides he's back safely in the castle so it shouldn't matter now."



"Well thank you for your insights into the matter Miss Granger," Dumbledore flashed afriendly smile.



"Harry's not in any trouble is he?" Hermione asked.



"No, he won't be punished for running off," Dumbledore assured the rule abiding witch. "You may go now Miss Granger."



Hermione nodded, stood and left the office. She rode quietly down the stairs and then ran down the hall. She ran all the way to the library and went directly to her favorite place to study deep in one of the corners. For several minutes she sat shaking from her first meeting with the Headmaster. Hermione had felt the gentle whispers of Legilimencyin her mind and had carefully held her shields, keeping her thoughts about rules and classes at the forefront of her mind. She felt tired but exhilarated. At the same time something pulled at her, making her feel exposed.



She was worried. The Headmaster was sure to try and bring Harry under closer watch, and when that failed he would probably go to the Ministry. Plans would have to be moved forward faster than she had thought.



Hermione reached into her ever present book-bag and pulled out the planner that was linked to Pansy's. In it she jotted down a brief message of her meeting with Dumbledore and mentioned that they might have to move up the take over of Hogwarts.



"Granger,"Zabini passed by her corner table and tossed a crumpled piece of parchment at her head.



Hermione ducked the paper and turned around to pick it up. She read it and frowned.



She quickly tore up the note into tiny pieces. Some of the pieces went into her book bag and others into her pocket so that summoning the pieces would be more difficult. She smiled at Harry as he approached and took the seat across from her. Acting like he was under some form of duress Harry pulled out his potions books and clean parchment and ink.



"Madame Pomfrey is going to wake Ron up from his healing sleep in a few hours," Harry commented opening his books. "And of course Snape had to give us that two foot essay which I haven't started which is due in two days."



He could tell that Hermione dearly wanted to lecture him for not beginning his homework earlier but something else was bothering her.



"I saw Dumbledore half an hour ago," Hermione bit her bottom lip. "He was hard on my shields but they held. I think we might have to move up taking control of the castle. He's onto us Harry and too many things could still go wrong."



"Shit!"Harry swore, running a hand through his messy hair. "You and Neville write a letter to his gran and take care of Bill and Fleur while you're at it. Have Pansy track down Cho and Luna. We'll try and do the warding late tonight if everyone can make it and if not then the next night."



"It gets worse I'm afraid," Hermione sighed. "I think that he's in contact with Fudge and that the Ministry is helping Dumbledore and vice versa."



"Damn it, this could cause things to fall apart fast," Harry was frowning. "We'll have to move things way ahead of schedule. Mione, I'm going to start this essay and then we're going to set things in motion."



The witch who was hailed as the smartest of her generation nodded and helped her friend start his Potions essay. Harry of course had difficulties concentrating on school work but Hermione was able to get his focus back on his essay. After an hour's work Harry was nearly bursting out of his seat to get ready to cut Dumbledore off at the knees. Hermione dried the wet ink on Harry's essay with a simple Charm and helped him pack away his books.



"Go find Neville and write to the ward team," Harry told her outside the library. "I'll get Pansy and meet you in an hour in the hospital wing."



Hermione nodded and dashed off. Harry, meanwhile, went down to the dungeons. He now spent more time in the Slytherin part of the castle than the Gryffindor but no one had mentioned anything to his face. Most of the Hogwarts students were now divided into three categories: those who supported Harry, those who were undecided and those who were pro-Voldemort. Most students who at first sided with Dumbledore and the Ministry had seen firsthand how ineffective both had been and a majority were either in Harry's camp or declaring they were neutral for the time being.



Harry ran across one of the first years who he sent to search the common room for Pansy Parkinson and Daphne Greengrass. He paced back and forth not far from the entrance of the Slytherin common room. Both girls came outside the common room. Harry stopped pacing when he noticed Pansy drawing her wand.



"Plans have changed," Harry explained in a low tone. "We're meeting Hermione in the hospital wing in an hour. Ron should be waking up soon."



The two girls led Harry through twists and turns in the dungeons knowing that the change in plans needed to be addressed before going to the hospital wing. There were few portraits down in the dungeons, mostly because there usually was not much activity and because of the oppressive mood. Pansy pulled out her wand, something she never let far out of her reach these days, and warded the hallway with silencing spells and perimeter charms.



"Talk Potter," Pansy crossed her arms over her chest impatiently.



"The warding has to get done tonight," Harry told them. "We might not be able to get Mrs. Longbottom here or Fleur. Bill said he could get away no matter what so we can count on him. That leaves just Cho and Luna to help him and that's not enough. Do you two know of any students who are even able to help with this sort of thing?"



"I can,"Pansy offered. "And Padma along with Hermione should be enough."



"I'll act as a lookout," Daphne smirked. "I've perfected being the gossip driven bitch. No one will think twice if I'm wandering around with my journal."



"You actually use that thing?" Harry was surprised to learn that that rumor was true.



"I mainly write insulting things about other people in it," Daphne's smirk widened. "Usually I do it because they've annoyed me in some way. Or because I just don't like them."



"I'll get into the Headmasters Office, but I'm the one in need of a lookout," Harry sighed. "It would be too suspicious if too many of us disappeared but I know that Neville will be a big help. Pansy, we need the Weasley twins here, how can we make it happen?"



The two blond Slytherin girls took down their spells and dragged Harry through the dungeons to their Head of Houses rooms. When Snape opened the door the two girls pushed past him dragging aconfused Harry in behind them.



"Why am Ibeing invaded?" The Potions Master scowled.



"We need to use your Floo," Pansy smiled sweetly as Daphne tossed in a pinch of Floo powder and connected to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.



The Weasley twins, having seen Harry in the background behind Daphne, stepped through the fire. Both wore bright matching blue robes and Fred had a black mustache that he was trying to pull off.



"What's up?" The two beamed at the Potions Master and Harry.



"We need the pranks today," Harry stomped down his desire to laugh. "The warding will be this evening and I need the Headmaster out of his office for at least half an hour."



"Say no more oh great Partner!" Fred finally yanked the mustache off his face.



"Yes, Gred and I shall get the old coot out," George winked outrageously.



"We just need to get the packages Forge and I set aside," Fred sighed with a dreamy expression on his face.



"For just amoment like this, excuse my dear brother and me for a few minutes," George and Fred stepped back into the fire and disappeared back to their shop.



A few minutes later the twins were back with several boxes and crates.



"We have everything we need," They declared with matching grins.



"Sir,"George turned to his former Professor. "We would appreciate it if you didn't kill us."



"What are you two cretins going to do?" Severus growled.



"Set off some smoke bombs and dung bombs in your classroom and some fireworks and swamps in the corridors," Fred said.



"As long as you don't contaminate the ingredients I'll let you live," Severus told them.



The twins nodded solemnly.



"Well, we're off then," They smiled, breaking the somewhat serious mood. "Peeves will be happy to help us."



The twins left Severus' rooms and the Potions Master turned his dark gaze to the three students before him.



"I can only hope that you're successful," Severus began. "Because if you aren't there will be hell to pay."



Harry, Pansy and Daphne quickly fled the Potions Master's quarters. They knew that he would end up letting the twins use his Floo again when it was time for them to make their escape. Harry sent Pansy off to locate Luna, Cho and Padma and took Daphne with him to the hospital wing to see Ron. Pansy promised to visit the next day if she could not make it before.



Hermione, Neville and Ginny were already in the hospital wing waiting for Poppy to bring Ron out of his healing coma. The Mediwitch, for once, did not warn them to stand back and not crowd her patient. She knew how worried they had been. Poppy had several vials of potions and one large goblet at hand as she waved her wand over Ron and muttered a long incantation that pulled him out of his healing coma.



Ron groaned and tried to roll over but winced as healing tissue pulled.



"Stay still Mr. Weasley!" Poppy spoke from beside his bed. "You're in the hospital wing. I need you to wake up and take some potions for me."



Ron scrunched his face in annoyance but opened his eyes. He saw a small gathering around his bed. Harry, Hermione, Neville, Pansy, Daphne, Ginny, Luna and Padma were all close at hand watching as Madame Pomfrey poured potions down Ron's throat. The large goblet was the last one that he drank and it caused him to gag on its way down. Poppy allowed him to drink some water to flush the foul taste from his mouth. Hermione and Ginny both gingerly hugged Ron.



"Nott and his cronies," Ron winced and leaned back against the mountain of pillows with the two girls help. "They jumped me in the dungeons. Bolstrude hung back for some reason."



"Things have changed Ron," Harry sighed and noticed that Ron was more alert after his quiet statement. "We're warding tonight and going through with what we discussed earlier in the year."



"That bad then?" The read head frowned.



"It is,"Luna was the one who answered, surprisingly enough. "The Minister is trying to take over Gringotts by using the threat of Voldemort-" No one shuddered at the name -"and he plans to turn them into slaves of the Ministry."



"Dumbledore and Fudge are joining forces," Hermione shot Luna a disgruntled look. "So we're moving forward while we still can."



"Madame Pomfrey," Harry turned to the Mediwitch who was carefully poking and prodding Ron and observing his reactions. "I hope you will continue to stay on at Hogwarts and serve as you always have."



Poppy narrowed her eyes at him, "Call me Poppy young man. You've been in my hospital enough times."



Harry rolled his eyes but said nothing as his friends laughed at him because it was true, he had been in the hospital wing more than any other student currently at school, "Poppy then. You wouldn't leave us to fend for ourselves would you?"



"Certainly not Harry," She said briskly. "As I told you before, though not as clearly, I'm with you. The only reason you don't have a godmother is because your parents couldn't decide between Minerva and I. As a Healer I am trained in the mind arts and they told me why they were going into hiding with you. I will guard the hospital tonight, though perhaps Miss Weasley would consent to stay and help me tend her brother?"



"Of course Madame Pomfrey," The red headed girl agreed. "Will you teach me some diagnostic spells?"



Harry glanced at the wall clock above the exit of the infirmary. Dinner had just begun. It was time to move.



"It's time," Harry noted casually. "Cho should be in place, let's go join her."



The group, minus Ginny, moved quickly to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Cho was waiting outside and reported that no one had come down the hallway since she had been waiting there for half an hour. The group entered the out of order bathroom and the moping ghost was looking at them in confusion. When she spotted Harry she blushed and gave him a shy wave.



"Hello Myrtle," Harry waved back to the ghost. "How are you?"



"Hello Harry," Myrtle giggled. "You brought friends! What are you up to?"



"We're going to strengthen Hogwarts," Harry told the ghost. "Can you keep a secret?"



"For you Harry," She giggled again.



"Can you make sure that no one comes in the bathroom tonight except my friends here?"Harry asked.



"Of course!" She gave a shy smile.



"Thanks Myrtle," Harry turned away from the ghost and pulled a bag out from a shadowed corner.



Bill Weasley came in with Fleur a few minutes later. Both were breathing a bit heavy and Bill handed over the Marauders' Map to Harry. He explained that they had almost been caught by Filch but that the caretaker had gone to get Dumbledore because the first wave of pranks set up by the twins and Peeves had just started to go off.



Harry handed each person a bracelet and explained that to activate them they needed to be tapped twice with their wand and say the activation phrase which was'Greatest four of Hogwarts'. If they had an emergency they could rip the bracelet off and hold it in their hand and it would take them to the hospital wing, otherwise once they were finished they tapped it and said Myrtle and would be returned to the bathroom. Myrtle promised that if anyone came into her bathroom that she would go down to the Chamber and warn the group. Harry thanked her again and left taking Neville and Daphne with him.



He activated the Marauders' Map and used it to help get Neville, Daphne and himself up to the outside entrance to Dumbledore's office. Once they were in the hallway Daphne pulled her journal out of her bag and wandered off a little ways explaining that most knew better than to bother her when she had her journal out. Harry pulled his Invisibility Cloak from his pocket and passed it to Neville along with the map. Harry told him that if someone was coming he was to set off the box of Filibuster's fireworks that was across the hall and that would warn Harry to get out.



Harry leaned in close to the gargoyle and whispered 'Candy Floss', that week's password courtesy of Minerva McGonagall. The winding staircase brought him up to the door of the Headmaster's office. He tested the handle and found it to be unlocked. Harry took out asmall bright orange grenade-like object from his pocket. The twins had found a way to put to sleep portraits but only for an hour.



He eased open the door and tossed the grenade into the office and waited for the bright flash to go off. A minute later he cautiously eased the door open. He could hear his heart and blood pounding in his ears and his breathing sounded loud enough to wake the dead. He glanced up at the wall where all Hogwarts former Headmasters and Headmistresses hung. All of them were in nightwear and asleep, some even snored softly.



Harry went straight to the shelf where the Sorting Hat was kept. He knew that Fawkes would leave the office with him but he still had to convince the Hat. The red and gold phoenix watched him with intelligent eyes.



"I have to talk the Hat into coming with us," Harry told the scarlet bird who gave a nod of his head.



Harry picked up the tattered brown Hat and placed it on top of his head.



'Erm, hello?' He hesitantly projected the thought to the Hat.



'What are you doing here Mr. Potter?' The Hat's voice sounded in his head. 'I assume you aren't here to request are-Sorting. What can I do for you?'



'Re-Sorting?'Harry was confused. 'We're allowed to request to be re-Sorted? I never knew that.'



'That's because the Headmaster doesn't make such things known,' The Hat replied. 'But it does happen, especially when I have difficulty placing one such as yourself. You must want something Mr. Potter.'



'I'd like to take you away from the Headmaster if you'll allow it,' Harry explained to the Sorting Hat. 'He probably won't be Headmaster for much longer and I could use advice from someone who knew the Founders.'



'So long as I stay on your head I can leave this office,' The Hat told him. 'You and I have much to talk about Mr. Potter. You are a true Gryffindor but you are also a Slytherin. Take Gryffindors sword from the wall, you pulled it from me so it will serve you well.'



Harry saw the sword mounted above the fireplace. He crossed the room and carefully lifted it down. The sword was not as heavy as it was when he had wielded it when he was twelve. It felt comforting to have his hand around the hilt, the cool metal resting firmly in his hand.



"Come on Fawkes, its time to leave," Harry held up his other arm for the phoenix. "Can you take us to the Forbidden Forest please?"



The phoenix chirped happily and flapped over to Harry's outstretched arm. The bird used his flame transportation to take them to the Forest. They appeared in a friendly looking glade. Harry tensed up, not sure just what might be around in the Forest but Fawkes gave him a reassuring chirp and perched over on a rock.



"You're free now Fawkes," Harry told the phoenix. "I know that you don't want to stay bonded to Dumbledore. Tell me what to do and I'll help you break the bond so you can be free."



Fawkes tilted his head to the side and studied Harry intently. Harry was mesmerized by the black glittering eyes. He felt a deep calm come over him and did not realize that Fawkes flew at him, diving at his face with his sharp talons outstretched. The force of the attack caused Harry to fall onto his back and the phoenix' talons cut deeply into each of Harry's cheeks below his eyes. Harry's eyes watered from the pain but soon Fawkes was cooing and crying into the wounds. Harry let the phoenix tend his wounds and soon felt like a blanket had been wrapped around the pit of his stomach.



The phoenix trilled happily and the feeling in his core strengthened. Harry felt so warm and comforted he felt like he would overflow. Fawkes stopped singing and perched on Harry's chest looking at him in a way that could only be described as smug.



"Are you sure about this?" Harry could hardly believe what the phoenix had done.



'Of course he is!' The Hat scoffed. 'He's been depressed the entire summer and snapping at Dumbledore. The best way to break a phoenix bond is for the phoenix to find another to bond to.'



"I don't mean to question you or anything Fawkes but I'm not the best person you could have bonded to," Harry was still awed by what had happened.



The feeling in his core seemed to disagree and Harry knew that it was Fawkes communicating him.



'Do I have to keep you on my head still?' Harry asked the Hat.



"No Mr. Potter you do not," The Hat spoke out loud this time. "I will need you to announce yourself to Hogwarts as Gryffindors Heir and Slytherins magical Heir.

"I wished to tell you about your heritage earlier but I was prevented by certain parties. There is a ritual that will allow you to bond somewhat with the castle. There are many benefits for doing this. Not all Heirs are able to bond with Hogwarts nor are all accepted by the castle but she has already intervened on your behalf more than once in the past."



Instead of getting angry at having such information kept from him Harry felt the bond with Fawkes helping to calm him. He was still upset and mad but not angry enough to go off and attempt to confront Dumbledore as he would have in the past. Harry slipped the Hat off his head and relaxed in the clearing knowing the Fawkes would warn him of any approaching danger. Why did these things always happen to him?

Sign up to rate and review this story