Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Kingdom Divided

Who's That Man?

by sabeybaby 0 reviews

Ian encounters a strange ally while Laurel, Thanyel and Belle rush to safety.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-06-15 - Updated: 2008-06-16 - 1695 words

0Unrated
Ian slung the last pack onto Fal'lyn's back and roped it on. The dragon had protested to carrying more than one pack, but he won her over with a charming smile and the reassurance that the things were light. Stepping up onto her back, the red haired werewolf strapped himself into the saddle so he wouldn't be thrown off her back mid flight. They were about to leave when a voice spoke from behind him.

"Do you know if you can find him?" Turning around, Ian attached the voice to the face. It was Broderick. The tall, broad shouldered, and very muscular werewolf was leaning against the stable door, his expression bland. Near black eyes stared out of a tan face, his curly black hair wet from a recent shower. Ian scowled at the man.

"You doubt me? I could have you killed in the king's absence for any number of infractions." The larger man frowned, but did not make any action other than speaking.

"I do not doubt you, I merely have great faith in the King's ability of hiding. If he does not wish to be found, he will not be." His words were truthful and flared Ian's quick temper. It did not aid the situation that their past was rough.

"I know the alpha like the back of my hand, and I WILL find him." The red haired man made a move to get off Fal'lyn, who had stayed silent the whole time, when a small girl came running out of a den and attached herself to Broderick's leg. Her loud sniffling was smothered against the broad man's pant leg. He reached down and picked the child up and pushed brown curls out of her face so he could see her round, brown eyes.

"What's wrong Eliana?" He asked her. Ian had never heard the gruff man's voice sound so soft. The compassion he held in his heart for his daughter was painfully obvious to the other werewolf. Suddenly two more children came running out of the same den. The boys rushed over to their father and began to explain very loudly how she had tripped and how they had no part in the scheme that ended up with the girl losing a chunk of her hair. Broderick set the little girl down now that she had stopped crying and grabbed the two boys by the front of their shirts and picked them up to eye level.

"Alastair, Nicodemus," His voice was low and filled with disappointment, "I have told you time and time again that women are to be protected by us, not tormented, and yet you go off and treat your sister poorly." His frown was deep and Ian felt like he was intruding on a family moment. "I have taught you better than you act, go inside and wait for me, you will be punished for this." He set the boys down and they trudged off towards the den, tears welling in their eyes. When Broderick straightened to continue his conversation with Ian, the red haired man was staring at him curiously.

"I feel as though I have misjudged you Broderick." Ian spoke, his voice cautious, but open.

"We have bad memories together, but times were poor. I want to change the future, having animosity within the pack is not healthy." Ian agreed with his statement.

"Then as a first act to make up for all the years, will you accompany me in finding the king?"

"It would be an honor."

OoOoOoOoOoOo

Belle stood at the edge of the forest, taking deep breaths of the night air, trying to block her thoughts away so she could focus on what she should be doing. However, the memories were too strong and she was swept back to another time.

Coming to consciousness, Belle was unaware of what could cause her to awaken. The house was quiet, it was still dark out with no sign of the coming sunrise. Not minding the wakening, the little girl climbed out of bed and stepped over her cousins curled up on their pallets. She shuffled through the house, headed for the kitchen with a slice of sweet bread on her mind. Stepping into the kitchen, the child opened up the container her mother kept the treats in and lifted out the bread. Grabbing the knife that her mother used usually, she attempted to get a slice. Her weak arms did not have enough strength in them nor the dexterity for the job and the knife slipped and sliced her thumb open from the junction between the two fingers to the tip. Belle gasped and set the knife down. Blood began to well up and drizzle down her arm. Her hazel eyes widened in shock. Tears formed in her eyes and one slipped down her face. She was about to cry when someone carefully grasped her hand and inspected the wound.

"You seem to have had an accident, let me help you." Belle said nothing as she let the older boy lead her outside to the well. She stared at the large hand that held hers, cautious of the wound. Looking up at his face, she admired his curly, black hair with childish fascination. They reached the well and he pulled up a bucket of water and pulled out a cloth he must have grabbed out of the kitchen. He gently washed her wound and then wrapped it up. "There, that's better." He said, lifting his brown eyes to meet her hazel ones. One of his hands reached out and tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear and gave her a small smile.

"Thank you." She whispered, grateful for his help. She watched him with admiration in her eyes as he stepped away from her into the darkness, giving her a little wave before he was gone. She heard his voice in er ears like he was standing right next to her.

"Don't go home." His words were soft and held a warning. She was confused so she stood by the well for a while, but as the sun started peeking up over the horizon, she turned back towards the house.

Belle stared at the door as she stepped up to it. She didn't remember leaving it open. Passing it off as her being forgetful, the little girl entered her house and headed for parents room, her father was usually up by now. The brown haired child walked up to her father and tapped him on the shoulder, thinking that he was just being lazy. She stopped her tapping however when she saw the blood sliding down his neck. Pulling back the cover, Belle was assaulted by the sickly smell of her father's blood and the sight of a gaping hole in his chest.


Belle shuddered at the memory and realized she was unconciously rubbing her hand. The scar had never really faded, and by the time she was bitten, she was too old for it to heal. Remembering the scent of death dwelling in her house made her sick to her stomach for a moment before she shook it off. She did not wish to take a trip down memory lane any longer. Glancing up at the tip of the cave, she saw Laurel and Thanyel waiting for her. Not wishing to keep her Queen waiting any longer, she transformed into her alternate form and launched herself up towards the cave. Once her friends were sitting on her back, she took off into the distance, prepared to protect the royalty who trusted her.

OoOoOoOoOoOo

"A dragon in the distance, I recognize I'sa's unique coloring." Fal'lyn spoke directly to Ian's mind. He snapped to attention and tried to see the dragon as well. His eyesight was no where near as sharp as her's was however.

"Do you see if there is anyone on her back?" He asked, yelling over the wind.

"No need to yell werewolf, I can hear perfectly fine." Her voice was spoken to both Ian and Broderick this time, allowing the other man to chuckle over his situation. "I'sa is slowing down so I'll be able to see her passengers in moments."

The several minutes that passed were incredibly long in Ian's mind despite Fal'lyn's reassurance, so when she finally spoke again he was eager to hear who was aboard the other dragon.

"It is your alpha and the Vampiress Laurel." The red dragon informed them. Both men smiled in satisfaction.

"At last we have found the fools who would dare kidnap our King." Ian said proudly, Broderick growling behind him. "Hurry now Fal'lyn, haste is our companion in this."

OoOoOoOoOoOo

"We have company." Belle informed her passengers belatedly, neglecting to tell them until the other dragon was far too close behind them for her comfort.

"Who is it?" Questioned Thanyel.

"It appears to be that dragon again, what's her name... Fal'lyn? And I do believe that's your advisor on her back." She paused for a moment, "And that's... is that...?" When her voice dropped off, Laurel persisted.

"Who else is with him?"

"It's... another werewolf." She finally answered, 'another memory,' she thought to herself.

OoOoOoOoOoOo

"Pull up beside them Fal'lyn." Ian commanded, preparing to order the other dragon to the ground. As the two dragons drew up side by side, the red haired werewolf started to speak to the opposite passengers. "Vampiress! I order you to land your dragon now!" His words were nearly lost across the expanse of air, but Laurel heard him.

"I'sa..." She whispered to her friend, asking for guidance.

"It will not hurt to speak with them, I'm telling Fal'lyn of a field up ahead where we can land and easily reach shelter."

When they reached the field, Belle took her time landing while Fal'lyn chose the quicker route to land. She knew that taking her time would very likely anger the waiting werewolves, but she was carrying royalty and she was going to make the trip worth the effort. She was also delaying the inevitable meeting between her and Ian's companion.

'It's been so many years, will he even recognize me?'
OoOoOoOoOoOo
Sign up to rate and review this story