Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 5

OWLs and Return

by matt311 0 reviews

Harry starts his 5th year - AU, eventual H/Hr. MildlyPowerful!Harry, Smart!Harry, TakesInitiative!Harry. See chapter one for more detailed summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-22 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 991 words - Complete

2Exciting
Chapter Fourteen – OWLs and Return
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 24 May 1996
Great Hall
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
9:15

The fifth year students sat in the Great Hall at many individual desks, the tables having been moved to the walls. They were 15 minutes into their written Charms OWL, and Harry was currently confident that he would pass with flying colours. As he moved onto the next question, he was reminded about his charms class in first year.

What is the spell for levitation of an object, and its wand movement?

Harry answered smiling, remembering his use of wandless magic and teaching Hermione to do it as well.

The spell is ‘Wingardium Leviosa’ and the wand movement is a ‘swish and flick’. I have found that the spell works just as well when you leave out the verbal portion and the wand movement. Of course, when I learned this spell, I had mastered the effect wandlessly years previously.

Moving on, Harry completed the written exam with ten minutes to spare. That afternoon found him taking the practical portion of the DADA exam. He guessed his examiner had probably been born sometime in the late Cretaceous.

“Now, Mr. Potter, if you could just run through some spells for me, just show me what you know.”

“With or without wand?” asked Harry. “I can do almost all the spells equally well either way.”

Surprised, the examiner noticed his use of ‘almost’.

“Almost all?”

“Well, the patronus charm is one I can’t seem to do without a wand.”

“Well, if you’d like to do the spells without a wand, feel free. I just need to see that you can do the magic, how you do it is not so important.” said the examiner.

After Harry had run through the various DADA spells he had learned and several others, the examiner spoke again.

“That was most impressive, Mr. Potter. I’ve heard tell that you can produce a corporeal patronus, can you demonstrate for me?”

“Certainly, though there are at least 15 others taking their tests today who can as well.” said Harry, before taking out his staff in its wand form. Unable to choose between several very happy thoughts, he shrugged and held his wand out. A silver stag, lion, and snake emerged, causing his eyebrows to disappear into his hair. The examiner was equally surprised, as were the rest of those testing.

“Um, that’s never happened before. There being three of them, that is. I suppose maybe picking just one happy thought is what limits it.”

As the members of the DA and ADA in the room heard this, they too tried thinking multiple happy thoughts. The room was filled with silvery animals, stunned examiners, and grinning students. The examiners took to asking all the students they tested if they could produce a patronus.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, 22 April 1996
Great Hall
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
13:35

Harry was sitting his History of Magic OWL. As he answered questions about a variety of things, he wondered why the only subject Binns seemed to lecture about was the Goblin rebellions. As Harry neared the end of the exam, he was sure that it could be prescribed as a cure for insomnia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 1 June 1996
Hogsmeade Station
Hogsmeade Village
10:55

Harry stood with a team of ADA members in grey CUs, explaining the security for the trip to King’s Cross. The Ministry, in a fit of efficiency, had managed to arrange for the use of a Muggle diesel locomotive and some coaches, along with a squib crew. The partially rebuilt steam engine was currently sitting on a side track.

As they boarded the train, Harry went to find Ron and Hermione. As the train pulled out of the station, the unusual (to hear in Hogsmeade, that is) two-tone horn of the engine marked the end of an unusual year.

Nodding to ADA members in their grey CUs, Harry made his way along the train until he found Ron and Hermione with Neville and Ginny reading the rear of the train.

“Hermione, did you make the emergency portkeys for your parents?”

“Yes.”

“Excellent. I don’t want to have to worry about them being attacked because of you and us not knowing about it. The portkeys should let them escape. You don’t mind if I come with you and help with the wards, do you? I’d like to talk to your parents about the whole ADA thing.” said Harry, before turning to the others in the compartment.

“Now, on Wednesday, I plan to use my position as Head of the House Potter to see what properties I own, and what security they have. If any of you want to come with me, I plan to look at these properties if I have them, and decide where to reside. It’s likely to become the headquarters for the ADA.”

“I’ll talk to Gran, but I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to.” said Neville.

“If Ron can get permission, I can too.” said Ginny.

“Of course I’ll come.” said Hermione.

As they all looked at Ron, he looked up after a moment of silence.

“Huh? Oh, yes, I’ll come.”

“Okay. Meet me outside Gringotts around 11 on Wednesday, then.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 1 June 1996
Platform 9 ¾
King’s Cross Station
14:00

The Express pulled into the station. As the ADA got off and made their way off the platform, they changed their CUs to the normal green style, drawing only cursory glances from the Muggles, who assumed that they were in the Armed Forces, the effect helped along by the ADA choosing rank markings that were very similar those of the British army.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 1 June 1996
Riddle Manor
Little Hangleton
14:55

Voldemort was still trying to make a new plan. A Potter-Proof plan. Unfortunately, the only plans he could think of that were Potter-Proof were the ones that didn’t involve doing anything.

“Damn you, Harry Potter!” yelled Voldemort.
Sign up to rate and review this story