Categories > Original > Romance > Just You and Me

Chapter 24 It's Not a Date

by joy2008 0 reviews

Just You and Me Chapter 24

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-09-17 - Updated: 2008-09-18 - 1673 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 24 It's Not a Date

It was Saturday, their day off, and also Joe and Aina's alone time. While those two went out the other three decided to go out as well.

"So you two are finally going out on a date huh?" Jacqueline asked.

"What are you talking about?" Aina asked.

"You and Joe. You two are going out tonight."

"Yeah, but it's not a date. Joe and I are just friends, I've told you that."

"You have, but that doesn't mean that you two don't like each other and when two people that like each other go out, it's called adate," Chan said with a smile on her face.

"Of course we like each other, he's one of my best friends," Aina said rolling her eyes.

"That's not what she meant. You two like each other as more than just friends. Everyone sees it. I'm sure even Mrs. Gilbert sees it," Jacqueline said.

"No he doesn't," Aina said a dejectedly.

"What are you talking about? Of course he likes you," Chan said giving her friend a hug.

Aina hugged back as she said, "No, he doesn't, I think he likes someone else."

"Who?" Jacqueline asked.

You, Aina thought to herself. "I don't know," she lied, "but I can just tell."

"Well then you need to get your brain checked because I've known since day one that he liked you. Not to mention every time we're on break from Mrs. Gilbert, you're all he talks about. I've been telling him that he needs to take you out on a nice date," Jacqueline said putting the finishing touches on her makeup.

So you don't like each other? Aina thought. "I still don't think it'll work out," Aina said out loud going back to finding something to wear.

"Now you're just being stubborn," Jacqueline said getting a little upset at Aina's attitude. "You're just scared to get into arelationship. What scares you the most, getting rejected or actually letting your feelings show? I've been working with Joe for a while now and I know that he is a good man and I think you're leading him on with all this 'hanging out' business."

"He knows that we're just friends," Aina said feeling tears threatening to come to her eyes.

"Let's hope so," Jacqueline said as she walked out of the room.

"Remember she's French... I guess they're more passionate about love. Don't get so upset over what she says," Chan said giving her another hug before leaving with Rahul and Jacqueline.

When Aina finished getting ready she walked out of her room in a tight fitted, somewhat low-cut v-neck, short sleeved shirt with jeans. She saw Joe waiting in a simple shirt and jeans with the jacket she gave him for his birthday.

"You look really nice," Joe said.

"Thanks," was all Aina said back

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah," she said with a little less enthusiasm as he was expecting.

"Is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah. Everything is fine. Lets go."

After a nice dinner they got Peter to drive them to anearby park where they just talked about what they missed about back home, among other things.

"Jenna sent me some pictures she took from Disneyland and the Father's Day Picnic," Aina mentioned.

"Well that took her a while," Joe said remembering the things they did that summer. "Where is that tiger I won for you anyway?"

"It's safe in my bedroom... back in California."

"Collecting dust."

"I would look like a total baby if I brought it with me," Aina defended herself.

Joe sighed before saying, "At least you didn't throw it away."

"Of course not. It's my favorite stuffed animal."

After a while they just walked in content silence taking in the beauty of it all.

"You know I don't think I've actually taken the time to enjoy London," Aina said as they sat on a bench.

"Yeah I know what you mean. I mean the first few weeks we did go sightseeing and stuff, but it was kind of just looking, not actually seeing."

Silence over took them again before Aina decided to speak.

"I've been wondering," she started. "Well, I've been telling the guys about you and your music." Joe just chuckled knowing what Aina as going to ask. "Well, you don't have to play it for them. Just give me a song you've finished and I'll get one of them to look it over."

"Aina..." Joe sighed.

"Please," she cut him off. "I've already told Alden that I was gonna show him one tomorrow."

"We don't go back to work till Monday."

"I know it's kind of a..."

"Date?" Joe asked dejectedly.

"Absolutely not!" Aina said semi-disgusted causing Joe to chuckle a little. "He just said that he was gonna look over one of your songs, but I actually need one for him to look at."

Relieved that it wasn't a date Joe said, "I've actually wanted you to hear one of my songs," and with that Joe got up and pulled Aina gently back to Peter and the limo. "Just sit here," Joe said when they got home, directing her to the couch before running around the penthouse getting his new laptop and a notebook.

"So is there a little info you're willing to share about this song?" Aina asked.

"Oh umm... well I started writing it sometime during the summer. Well actually I had the music before I started with the lyrics, like last semester. I just used my roommates Mac book to save the music and emailed it to myself so that I could have it handy whenever I got some inspiration," Joe said, his words coming out faster and faster as he continued to talk. He sat on the couch and turned on his laptop. "I do that with a lot of my stuff. This isn't finished yet, I've only got the first verse and the chorus. I guess I just got inspired one night. Some of it doesn't coincide with what really happened to cause the inspiration, but it fits. Besides I don't think I'd want my whole personal story in a song, even though it probably won't be sung by anyone big... if anyone at all," Joe rambled taking a breath when he was done.

"Okay," Aina giggled. "So what's it called?"

"Oh... uhh... I haven't thought of a title," Joe lied. "Okay, here we go." Joe hit a button on his laptop and started singing the words written in his notebook.

There she goes again
The girl I'm in love with
It's cool we're just friends
We walk the halls at school
We know it's casual
It's cool we're just
I don't wanna lead you on, no
The truth is I've grown fond

Everyone knows it's meant to be
Falling in love just you and me
'till the end of time
'till I'm on her mind
It'll happen
I've been making lots of plans
Like a picket fence and a rose garden
I'll just keep on dreaming
But it's cool 'cause we're just friends


Joe hit another button and the music stopped. He watched Aina with a blank look on her face.

"That was really good," she finally said.

"That's it?" Aina gave him a puzzled look. "You're not even gonna ask who it's for or anything?"

"I don't really want to know," she said looking down at her hands.

"And why not?"

"Because no matter who you say it's for, I know that it isn't for me," Aina said getting up.

"What are you talking about? All of that was for you, it always has been."

"I don't think you really feel that way towards me," Aina said as she walked away. She only took a couple of steps before Joe gave her arm a tug to turn around and he crashed his lips into hers. Aina gave no thought to it. She immediately pushed him away and ran out of the room.

Don't stop, just keep going, she told herself. Don't even wait for the elevator. Get as far away as you can. He's not gonna come after you anyway.

"Aina wait!" Joe yelled running out of the room after grabbing his key. He followed her into the stairwell and after three floors he finally reached her on the 47th floor landing. "Wait," Joe said grabbing hold of her arm once again, but his time just for her to stop. He gently turned her around and saw the tears that fell in that short period of time. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that," Joe apologized with his left hand holding on to Aina's right wrist.

"Why are you trying so hard now?" Aina asked.

"Maybe it's because there's just so much crap going on right now that I need someone I can depend on. Maybe it's because I'm so tired of this just friends thing. Or maybe it's because I actually do like you. I was stupid for not going after you at Cami's party. I learned from my mistake. Don't you see that I just want to be with you and not anyone else?" Joe said as right hand came up to cup her face, his thumb wiping away a few tears. He leaned in a little, so that his face was inches from hers.

"Joe don't," Aina whispered as he moved closer.

"Can you just give me one chance?" Joe asked their lips almost touching.

Looking into his sincere eyes Aina's heart lurched, as Joe waited patiently for her answer. She couldn't hide her feelings anymore and for once there was no question about how he felt about her. Leaning in the rest of the way she kissed him, her first real meaningful kiss.

"Is that a yes?" Joe laughed when she finally pulled away.

Not trusting her own voice Aina nodded in response. Joe pulled her into a hug, happy he got her to loosen up a bit and gave him achance to show her how to feel, even just a little bit.
Sign up to rate and review this story