Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 2 Exams and House Hunting

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chapter 2

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-09-27 - Updated: 2008-09-28 - 1876 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 2 Exams and House Hunting

Three days later Jenna had her NCLEX examination. She spent those three days online, studying for it. Kevin would leave her in the apartment after breakfast and she'd study for hours with a few food and bathroom breaks in between until Kevin came back home around 6:00.

"Kevin, I'm blanking. I don't remember anything Istudied for," Jenna freaked as she drove Kevin to work. She no longer had her car since there weren't many parking spaces at the apartment, so they decided to sell it, so that they had that much more in their house fund, and just shared Kevin's car.

"Babe, don't worry. You'll do fine," Kevin soothed.

"How do you know?"

"You did well on your co-ops didn't you? And your other million... internship things?"

"Yeah, I guess," Jenna said unsure.

"No, no guessing. I know you did a great job, otherwise you wouldn't have graduated," Kevin said with a smile on his face.

Jenna dropped Kevin off to work so that she could take his car to the exam site and drive home right after.

"Good luck babe, you'll do great," Kevin said leaning over the median to give her a kiss.

"Thanks. Have fun at work," she said as Kevin got out of the car.

"Don't stress," he said as he walked away.

Easy for him to say, he already has a job,Jenna thought grumpily.

Jenna parked her car near the exam site. From the moment she stepped into the building to the moment she stepped out of the building after the exam, was a complete blur. It was like she just went through the motions without thinking about it.

"Oh my god," she said out loud when she got back into the car. "I totally failed that."

She grabbed her cell from inside her purse and dialed Larissa's number.

"Hey girl hey!" Larissa said with a laugh.

"I think I totally failed my NCLEX. Now I have to wait for my results to be absolutely sure that I failed before I make an appointment to take another one. I'm gonna be jobless for months and I'm gonna feel worthless 'cause Kevin is bringing all the money and all I'm doing is sitting on my ass doing nothing." Jenna seemed to say all that in one panicked breath.

"Umm... are you done?" Larissa asked.

"Yes."

"Okay, well, you've been studying way before you graduated. I'm pretty sure you did fine."

"But..."

"No but's," Larissa interrupted. "I'm over at the Starbucks a few blocks away from Roosevelt. Aina's meeting me after her interview at Accountemps. Come and join us. I'm sure you both are gonna be pretty anxious about things, so we all can hang out and forget about our troubles."

"Alright," Jenna sighed. "I'll be there in 10 minutes."

Sure enough, Jenna was at Starbucks in 10 minutes exactly. She walked in and saw Larissa and Aina sitting at a table in the back corner.

"Hi," she said solemnly.

"Aww... Jenna," Aina said giving her friend a hug. "I'm sure you did fine on your exam."

"I don't wanna talk about it. How was your interview?"

"I think it went well," Aina said. "You never know if they're just being nice or if they really are considering giving you the job."

"You're lucky, Riss. You're dad already had a job lined up for you at his firm," Jenna said.

Larissa's dad was a lawyer. He wasn't a part of areally big firm, but it was well known in the area. He'd started it with acolleague when they quit a firm that they didn't agree with. Now Larissa's father helped the "little people" in their community.

"Oh yeah, I'm so lucky that every time I step into aroom I can't help but think, 'All these people must hate my guts for having daddy give me this job.' Yeah, oh so lucky," Larissa said with asarcastic tone.

"She's got a point there Jenna," Aina said. "So, any big cases coming your way?"

"No, just minor stuff really," Larissa said before sipping her coffee.

The girls sat there for another half hour chatting away. Jenna was still upset about her exam so Larissa and Aina decided to take her shopping. Aina never liked shopping, but her friends happiness was more important than her dislikes and shopping always makes Jenna happy. They decided that Aina should drive so that they weren't using 3 different cars. Aina followed Jenna to her apartment, since it was closer, so that Jenna could drop off Kevin's car. After that they swung over to Larissa's studio to pick her up.

They had been browsing in different stores for about an hour now and their quest for Jenna's happiness seemed to be going well.

"This looks so good!" Jenna squealed quietly.

"So then get it," Aina said. Luckily it came out as excited rather than filled with the annoyance she was feeling.

Jenna took a look at the price tag and sighed. "I really shouldn't. We're saving up for a house and I have a bunch of clothes already."

"So can we leave then?" Aina asked a little more excitedly. Larissa gave her a shut-up look, so she made up for it by saying alittle more cheerily, "Let's go shopping for houses online."

"That sounds like a good idea," Larissa said honestly.

"We don't have that much saved up, just enough for asmall down payment, but not much else. What's the point?" Jenna asked a little cynically.

"Well, this way it's the same as window shopping, but you're at home!" Aina said with a smile on her face. Larissa and Jenna gave her a look. "Okay, geez, it's called a joke. Anyways, if you go looking for houses online you can get an idea of what you're looking for when you guys are seriously looking for a house, then you have an idea of the price range, therefore you'd be able to know how much sooner, or later, you guys can put adecent down payment on one."

"See, that is a good idea. But I think Joe is having anegative affect on Aina's brain," Larissa said laughing.

"That's so not cool," Aina said as she walked out of the mall and to her car.

The three of them drove down to Aina's house to use her computer. Her parents were moving to Vegas in less than a week and were leaving her their 3 bedroom home. When the girls got to the house they went straight to the computer to look for houses on sale in the area.

While they were crowded around the computer in the den Jenna asked, "So, Riss are you going to the farewell party this Saturday?"

"Of course, I wouldn't miss it," was Larissa's response.

"That's so great that they're leaving you the house, Aina," Jenna said.

"Yeah it is. I've been cooking their favorite foods for breakfast and dinner since they told me. You know kind of a thank you, but I don't think it'll ever be enough," Aina said looking over Jenna's shoulder to the computer screen.

"You worry too much. They're doing this because they want to, so that you don't have to go through this," Jenna said waving her hand in front of the computer. "I'm sure this party will be enough thanks for them."

"I guess," Aina said with a shrug.

"So, will Joe be moving in when your parents move out?" Larissa asked.

"I don't think that's any of your business," Aina said with a smile on her face.

"We'll take that smile as a yes," Jenna teased. "And when is he gonna pop the big question?!?"

"Yeah, Kevin asked before he graduated. Joe's graduating next year. He really needs to get on it," Larissa joked.

"You guys leave him alone," Aina said trying to hide the smile on her face. "He's stressed with work and he's even more stressed when school's in session."

"How much is he getting paid at TTR anyways? He's been working there for... one and a half years now right?" Aina nodded in response to Jenna's question.

"One and a half years," Aina repeated, still nodding. She and Joe had taken part, coincidentally, in an internship for Tight Tiger Records in London almost two years before. The company ended up giving Joe ajob at the California branch of TTR after the internship ended. During the next semester Joe called in a few favors and got Kevin a job there as well.

"So how much?" Larissa asked curious.

"I'm not telling you how much he's making," Aina said laughing.

"He must be making a lot then," Jenna said to Larissa causing them to laugh.

Shaking her head, Aina went into the kitchen to preparing something to eat.

"Baby, I'm home," Joe called out as he entered the house.

"Welcome home sweetness," Larissa said with a light lisp, walking through the hallway to get to the kitchen causing everyone within hearing range to laugh.

Aina poked her head out the kitchen with a smile on her face. "Hey, you're home early."

He gave her a quick peck before saying, "Yeah the guys were done recording so Sam dropped me home."

The guys Joe was talking about was Named Jonas, the band he worked for while in the internship and who he mostly wrote songs for now. Sam was one of the group members.

"Hey Joe," Jenna said as she walked into the kitchen from the hallway. "How much are you making at TTR?"

"Not this again," Aina said with a roll of her eyes.

"Why do you ask?" Joe asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No reason."

"Then I don't need to answer," he said taking a bite of a cookie.

"Just tell me."

"Why?"

"Because I wanna know if you'd be able to buy my girl here a decent engagement ring," Jenna said with a teasing smile on her face.

Joe looked at Jenna carefully before looking to Aina and then Larissa.

"I could buy her a pretty nice ring if I wanted to," Joe said with a smug smile as he bit into the cookie again.

"So, find any houses?" Aina asked changing the subject.

"Yeah there were a few, now all I have to do is get ajob to help save for it," Jenna said in a slightly better mood.

"Well, at least you have an accountant and a lawyer to help you right here," Joe said placing his arms around Larissa and Aina as they nodded in agreement.

The rest of the day the four of them just talked and hung out. A few hours later Aina, Joe, Larissa, and Jenna were in the car. They dropped Larissa home first, went to TTR to pick Kevin up, and then dropped him and Jenna off at their apartment.

"So, how did you do on your exam?" Was the first question out of Kevin's mouth when they entered the apartment.

Jenna groaned, "I almost forgot about that."

"What do you mean?"

"I think I failed. I don't even remember what was on the exam. Everything was kind of... fuzzy."

"I'm sure you did fine."

Throughout the night Kevin tried to soothe Jenna since she was still stressed about her exam and talked about nothing else.
Sign up to rate and review this story