Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 10 Visiting the Hospital

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chapter 10

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-10-06 - Updated: 2008-10-07 - 1225 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 10 Visiting the Hospital

It's been almost a month since Kevin confided in Chelsea and Loretta, telling them his concerns dealing with his marriage. He took Loretta's advice and left little notes here and there for Jenna to find. Eventually Kevin's hours started to slowly decrease to its normal 8 hour days Monday through Friday, but Jenna still had those irregular schedules. Each week was different from the last, sometimes she'd work 12 hour shifts sometimes 8, sometimes she'd be scheduled to work, but they'd call her last minute telling her she was on-call, some weekends she'd have off, but sometimes not. The variations were numerous. She caught on to Kevin's way of showing affection and started leaving little notes for him as well.

It was Friday night and Jenna was working from 3 to 11:30 pm. She was getting ready to leave for work. Kevin was still at work and wouldn't be home for a few more hours, so as she waited for her co-worker to pick her up she wrote a note to leave for Kevin.

Jenna's phone buzzed once indicating a new text message. I'm downstairs. -Corie, it read. Corie was Jenna's co-worker. They were both new and had orientation together. They worked on the same floor and her personality reminded Jenna a lot of Aina in a way. She was a tomboy and, although she had a boyfriend, she never paid much attention to guys.

"Hey girl," Jenna said as she got into the car.

"Hey," Corie said back. "You working 8 hours today?"

"Yeah, thank goodness! I can't work four 12 hour days in a row. I'm gonna die if I do."

"I know! I think they're just working us because we're new grads," Corie said. There was some silence before she said, "So... how's the hubby?"

Jenna chuckled a little before saying, "It's going good. I just wish we had more time together."

"The sex still good?" Corie asked with a smile on her face.

"Corie!" Jenna exclaimed with a laugh.

When Jenna didn't give an answer Corie said, "Well? That was an actual question you know. And don't act all innocent 'cause we all know you're not."

"Like I said, I wish we had more time together." There was a little pause before she continued with a smile, "But it's still good."

--- --- --- ---

Kevin walked into the apartment with his McDonald's dinner in hand. He walked into the kitchen to eat his dinner. He noticed the little post-it note on the table top. It read: McDonald's again? Dinner at your parents tomorrow. Love you! -JDJ.

Both of their mothers have been nagging the couple to have dinner with them, so they finally found a day that they all could have anice, relaxing dinner together.

Great, a night I could spend seducing my wife and it's wasted on hanging out with our parents, Kevin thought to himself.

It was now 9:00 pm and Kevin was wide awake with nothing to do.

Just do little things like leave her little notes, send her flowers, Loretta's words played in Kevin's head. He got up, got his wallet, cell, and keys before heading out the door. He drove down to Cape Springs Hospital and took the elevator up to oncology, where they treat cancer patients. When he stepped out of the elevator he looked around for the nurses' station.

"Hello sir," came a voice off to his right. It was ashort nurse that looked like a mix of Chinese and Caucasian with short hair that reached her jaw. "I'm afraid visiting hours are over."

"Actually I wanted to talk to one of the nurses, Jenna Jonas?" Kevin asked.

"And what exactly is your relation to her?" The nurse asked.

"I'm her husband."

The nurse looked shocked. "Oh, umm, well I'm not exactly sure where she is. I'm Corie by the way."

"Oh hey Corie. Jenna's mentioned you a few times. You're new too right?"

"That's right. Well, Jenna's around here somewhere," Corie said as she looked around. She seemed to be debating something in her head. "Listen, technically you're not supposed to be here, but most of the nurses on duty today are pretty lenient, so... I don't see the harm in letting you hang around here to wait for her."

"Thanks," Kevin said with his charming smile.

"It's no problem," Corie replied as she continued to check her other patients.

Kevin stood their awkwardly, hoping not to get into trouble. It was eerily quiet at the moment and it freaked Kevin out a little.

I've never had anything against hospitals, but then again I've never had to stay in hospitals at night, Kevin thought to himself.

He saw a little waiting area a little ways away and decided to wait there instead of in the hallway. As he walked towards it he heard some music playing. Instead of stopping at the waiting area he walked closer to the room with the music. He poked his head around the corner and saw a tanned, brown haired, teenage boy, laying on a hospital bed watching music videos on VH1.

"Oh! Sorry. Was that too loud? I didn't mean to disturb you," the boy said as he turned down the volume.

"No, it's alright. You didn't bother anyone. I was just walking to the waiting room when I heard the music," Kevin explained. The boy just nodded in response. "It's usually old people on a floor like this and I thought it was unusual for an old person to be listening to hip hop."

"My nurse says I'm the youngest on the floor."

"I'm Kevin," he said stepping closer and extending his hand.

"I'm Xavier," he introduced as he shook Kevin's hand. "You here visiting someone?"

"Yeah, but not a patient."

"Oh," Xavier said nodding his head. "Girlfriend?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows.

Kevin let out a chuckle before responding. "Ummm, kind of."

"Kevin?" A female voice said. Kevin turned around and saw Jenna standing in the doorway with a clip board in hand. "What are you doing here?"

"I just thought I'd stop by and see you in action," Kevin said.

"Umm... okay," Jenna replied a bit confused. "Did my husband wake you?"

"Husband?" Xavier asked as Kevin feigned offense at her words. Jenna gave him a nod as she checked his IV and took his blood pressure. "No, no bother. I was just watching TV."

"It's pretty slow today, but I still don't think I'll be able to talk to you," Jenna explained to Kevin. "I've already taken my lunch break. You should just go home and get some rest. Besides, visiting hours are over."

"Aww, come on Jenna, let him stay for a little. The guy must be bored without his wife at 9:30 at night," Xavier said wiggling his eyebrows.

"You're 16 and hormonal so I'll let that comment slide. You have 30 minutes and then you should really leave."

"Thanks," Kevin said before kissing Jenna bye.

For those 30 minutes Kevin talked to Xavier about sports, music, and other interests, but they never touched upon the subject of Xavier being in the hospital or anything else in their personal lives.

Poor kid is spending part of his summer in the hospital, Kevin thought as he drove home. His parent's weren't even there to spend the night with him. I would never let my kid go through that alone.
Sign up to rate and review this story