Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 11 The F Word... Family

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chapter 11

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-10-08 - Updated: 2008-10-08 - 1396 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 11 The F Word... Family

The next day, Jenna and Kevin were getting ready to leave for the Jonas house to have dinner with both of their parents. They were in content silence while driving over to the Jonas residence.

"So, Xavier is a cool kid," Kevin said as he stopped at a red light. Jenna threw him a suspicious glance. "What?" Kevin asked.

"I can't discuss my patient's information," Jenna stated in a formal tone.

"I know that. I was just saying he's a cool kid."

"Yeah, he's definitely the one patient I look forward to seeing. The others give me such a hard time sometimes."

"I'm sure you're doing a great job," Kevin said as he gave the back of her neck a rub. "You think Xavier will mind if I go visit him again, this time during visiting hours?"

"I think he'll love it. The only person that visits him is his mom. I think his dad is on some business trip and his mom can't stay with him in the hospital because she has her other kids to take care of or something like that. I never got around to finding out the whole story."

"What happened to the whole not discussing patient information thing?" Kevin asked with a laugh.

"Well, that isn't in his record, so I'm guessing that's open for me to talk about," Jenna said in a know it all tone.

Kevin stopped the car in front of his parent's house, but wasn't making any motion to get out.

"What's wrong?" Jenna asked.

"I should have told you last night, but you were busy and I didn't want to distract you while you dealt with all your patients," Kevin said beating around the bush.

"Well, what's wrong?" Jenna repeated more panicked this time.

"Nothing's wrong, but Loretta just told me that she's planning on getting Chelsea on this tour thing. It's a huge concert with a bunch of new bands and their playing shows in different states."

"And you're going," it was more of a statement than aquestion.

"She asked me to since she has another client that needs her," Kevin explained. After some silence he explained further, "It's just on the west coast though, so I won't be too far. Anytime you need me, if anything goes wrong, I'll be on a plane in an instant."

"This is great," Jenna said in a tiny voice. "This is big. I'm glad you're doing it."

Kevin looked into Jenna's sincere eyes that told him everything's okay.

"So, you don't mind if I'm gone for at least 3 months?"

"Three months?" Jenna asked receiving a nod from Kevin. "When are you leaving?"

"Loretta says it starts in September."

"Will you be around for Thanksgiving? Or Christmas?"

"I'll make sure Loretta let's me off for Christmas if the tours still going. I'm not too sure about Thanksgiving." Kevin let Jenna take in the information before asking again. "So... are you gonna be okay being alone for three months?"

"I'll be bored... and sexually deprived, but I'll be fine," Jenna said trying to lighten the moment.

Kevin chuckled and leaned in to give Jenna a kiss. The kiss seemed to get deeper with every second. Finally Jenna pulled away knowing that if they kept it up someone would walk out of the house and see them.

"I've really missed that," Kevin said.

"Maybe we should leave early so that we could finish that at home," Jenna suggested with a smile on her face while getting out of the car.

Jenna and Kevin walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. Within a few seconds there were footsteps that could be heard coming from the other side of the door.

"Hey!" Yelled a 9 year old Frankie.

"Hey Frank what's up?" Kevin asked.

"Eh, you know same ol', same ol'."

"Great you're here," Denise Jonas said as she came out of the kitchen to greet them. "Come on everyone's waiting in the dinning room."

The four of them walked in to see the rest of the adults waiting at the dinner table.

"Nicolas it's time for dinner," Denise called up the stairs before re-entering the dinning room.

Soon a 17 year old Nick came walking in. "Sorry, I was on the phone," he explained.

Dinner went along normally talking about current events, the summer so far, and their different jobs.

"You know, you two are both, what, twenty two now?" Lily asked. Kevin and Jenna nodded in response waiting for what she had to say. "Well, you two aren't getting any younger you know and neither are we for that matter," she said referring to herself and the rest of the adults.

"What's your point mom?" Jenna asked to get straight to the point.

"Are you two planning on having kids anytime soon?"

Kevin and Jenna sat there dumfounded.

"We know what it's like as newlyweds, you two are probably going at it like monkeys, it's natural," Denise said nonchalantly.

Nick spat out the water he was drinking. "Umm... I'm finished. May I be excused?" He asked.

"Sure. Frankie you can go too if you want," Paul said to his two youngest sons.

"Don't you think we should get a proper home first before starting a family?" Kevin asked when Nick and Frankie were out of the room.

"You don't have to. That would definitely be ideal, but still not required," Lily stated.

"Well, I don't think we're ready for kids anyway. I mean we absolutely want a house before having kids, plus I just started my job at the hospital, Kevin is going on tour with this new artist, and I just remembered that our lease is almost up and we have to decided if we're gonna keep the apartment for another year or get a house within the next 3 months," Jenna tried to rationalized in a somewhat panicked tone, getting more and more stressed as she continued. She took a deep breath before saying as calmly as she could, "It's just not the right time."

Everyone dropped the subject and sat in awkward silence.

"Thanks for dinner mom," Kevin said after a while. "It was great, but we should be heading home."

"Okay, but don't forget to visit or call whenever you get time. You're living out of our homes, but we'd like to still like to be apart of your lives," Denise said.

"That's not a problem," Jenna said as she hugged their parent's goodbye.

They were now out of the house and on the road heading home, but the conversation they had didn't leave their minds.

"We never talked about kids before," Kevin said off handedly. Jenna didn't reply, she just sat there looking out the window. "So, what are your thoughts on it? Kids I mean," Kevin asked.

Jenna turned to him with a blank expression and said, "I would love to have kids." This caused Kevin to smile. "But how can we when I'm so busy at work and you're gonna be going on tour with Chelsea?"

Kevin's smile slipped away before he said, "I didn't mean right now and that doesn't mean we can't try. I could ask for my old job back."

"But would you be happy with that?" Jenna countered. "You love the job you have now and when you do go on tour you'll be traveling and having the time of your life."

"I want to have kids too Jenna and if it means that I have to go back to my cubicle then that's okay with me."

"I don't want things to be okay, I want them to be perfect."

"There's no such thing as perfect," Kevin said with ascoff.

"Fine."

"So, does that mean we're gonna try to have kids now?"

"No. I mean fine, there's no such thing as perfect," Jenna clarified.

"And about having kids?"

Jenna thought for a moment. How could they have kids now? They're both busy people and Jenna still didn't like the fact that Kevin was always with Loretta and Chelsea.

"How about we wait a few months? You can go on tour and we'll see what happens when you get back," Jenna offered.

Kevin nodded in response, but didn't say anymore. It seemed like a good compromise and he got to do something he's wanted to do. Starting a family could wait for a few months.
Sign up to rate and review this story