Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 12 Working Through Obstacles

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chapter 12

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-10-10 - Updated: 2008-10-11 - 1560 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 12 Working Through Obstacles

For weeks Jenna and Kevin have been going through their normal routine or as normal as they could. They seemed to be slipping father and farther apart. Every time they had some time together all they would do was talk about work. Sometimes they would talk about Xavier as well since Kevin would take the time to go up to the hospital and visit him.

It was now a Saturday morning and Jenna was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. About every two weeks or so both Jenna and Kevin would have the same weekend off. This was one of those weekends.

Do not talk about work today, Jenna told herself. Little did she know, Kevin was telling himself the same thing.

Kevin walked into their little kitchen and saw Jenna, with her back to him, cooking some eggs and bacon. He silently walked up behind her and slipped his hands around her waist.

"Good morning," Kevin whispered in her ear.

Jenna let out a shiver as she felt some butterflies in her stomach. "Good morning," she replied.

Kevin gave her a squeeze before slowly leaving a trail of kissed starting at a spot just below her ear to her shoulder. Jenna continued to cook their breakfast for another minute, but once they were done removed them from the heat, turned off the stove, and threw herself onto Kevin to kiss him full on the lips. He easily caught her, the weight of her body only causing him to take a step or two backwards. Jenna was on her toes so that their faces were at the same level with her arms tightly around his neck to deepen the kiss. Kevin's arms were just as tightly wound around her waist. After a while Jenna loosened her hold on him and planted her feet flat on the kitchen floor.

"I miss that," Kevin said breathlessly.

"Me too," Jenna replied with a laugh, just as breathless.

"Let's take this to the bedroom," Kevin said in arough voice as he picked her up bridal style and carried her to their room. With their breakfast forgotten, Jenna and Kevin were able to let out months of sexual frustration.

"It's lunch time," Jenna said with labored breath, drenched in sweat, while trying to get untangled from Kevin as well as the bed sheets.

Kevin just lay on his back and smiled to himself happy with what he'd accomplished. Jenna looked over at him when he didn't answer and lightly slapped him when she saw his smile.

"Ow! What was that for?" Kevin asked with a laugh. Nothing could break his bad mood.

"There's no need to be so smug," she answered. She'd finally freed herself from the sheets and laid back contently onto the bed.

Kevin curled up next to her his arms around her waist. Jenna did the same and rested her head against his chest. They just laid there not caring that they were both hungry. Kevin kissed Jenna's forehead and let out a sigh.

"What are you thinking about?" Kevin asked.

Jenna snuggled in closer before answering. "I'm thinking about how much I've missed you." That caused Kevin to give her asqueeze knowing this was something he'd always been thinking about. "What are you thinking about?" Jenna asked back.

"The same thing," he answered in a soft voice. "And about kids."

Jenna looked up at Kevin, but he didn't look back at her.

"What about kids?" Jenna asked.

"Just how it would be like," Kevin said with a shrug. "Don't you think about what it would be like?"

"Yes." Kevin finally looked at her, his eyes encouraging her to tell more. "I see a large backyard with you teaching our son to play catch, while I take care of our baby girl."

"So you want a boy first?" There was a smile on Kevin's face once again, but it was different, it was softer and caring.

"I don't care. I just want one each."

"Only two?"

"Well, how many do you want?" Jenna asked as if more than two were a million too many.

"I don't know, but I do know I like having three brothers."

"Do you know how painful it'll be for me to have four children?"

Kevin chuckled before kissing her forehead again. "Fine," he said, "two, a boy and a girl, and if the first two are the same sex, then we try one last time. Deal?"

"Deal," Jenna said as she leaned up to give him akiss. "I'm hungry," she said when she pulled away.

"Let's skip the cold eggs and bacon and go to IHOP."

Kevin and Jenna got ready and headed down to IHOP after they cleaned up the kitchen. After IHOP Jenna agreed to go with Kevin and visit Xavier at the hospital.

"Even when I'm not working I'm still at the hospital,"Jenna said with a laugh as she walked out of the elevator.

"Jenna? Visiting someone?" A passing nurse asked.

"My husband is. Kevin this is Rosalie. Rosalie this is Kevin," Jenna introduced Kevin to the perky, 5'2, tanned nurse.

After some light chit chat Rosalie excused herself to attend to her other patients. They walked over; pass the waiting area, to Xavier's room.

"Hey buddy," Kevin said from the doorway.

"Hey Kev, hey Jenna. What's up?"

"Kevin missed you," Jenna joked making Xavier laugh a little.

"Xavier, I'm going to work now," a female said as she exited the bathroom and stopped in her tracks when she saw the extra people in the room. "Who are you?" She asked.

"Mom," Xavier said before anyone else could say anything. "This is Jenna, my night nurse, and her husband Kevin. Guys this is my mom, Tricia."

"So, you're Xavier's mom," Jenna said extending her arm. "It's nice to meet you. Xavier's told me that you work and take care of your other kids at night."

"Yes, I do," Tricia said looking suspiciously at the three of them.

"You might be thinking, 'Why are these people in my son's room?'" Kevin said. "Well, I came over to visit Jenna one night and met Xavier. He seemed like a really cool kid so I've been visiting once in a while. I hope you don't mind."

After another suspicious glance to everyone in the room Tricia said, "No, it's no problem. Xavier doesn't have a lot of visitors, so it's nice to know he has some human interaction other than the nurses and doctor." There was a little awkward pause before she continued. "Well, I should be getting to work. I'll see you tomorrow," she said as she gave him a light kiss on his forehead. "And we're gonna have a little talk."

"So why don't you have a lot of visitors?" Kevin asked when Tricia was out of the room.

"Kevin," Jenna said. "That's none of your business."

"No, it's okay. I just don't have a lot of friends that's all and all my siblings are really young. I don't want them to see me in a place like this," Xavier explained.

At that moment Xavier's doctor came in to check up on him.

"Hello Jenna. What brings you here today?" He asked.

"Hello Doctor Kugler. We're just visiting," she said. "But we'll step out for a bit to give you both some privacy."

Jenna pushed Kevin out of the room and into the hall.

"What was that about?" Kevin asked.

"If Xavier wants you to know about his sickness then he has to tell you... and he can, but if he hasn't already then I don't think he'll like it if we're both in there while the doctor is."

Doctor Kugler left the room with a nod and a smile toward the couple and they walked back into the room.

"So, has Jenna told you about my condition?" Xavier asked nonchalantly.

"No, she hasn't. The whole confidentiality thing's stopping her."

"Well, I have Multiple Myeloma, blood cancer," Xavier started. "I wanted to try out for baseball and basketball two years ago. My mom wanted me to get more involved in the school and meet new people. I thought that it would be the simple way of going about it, but I kept having pains in my lower back. My doctor thought that it was just simple back pains, like I was over exerting myself at practices and stuff.

"Eventually I had to drop out of sports because I started getting tired really easily. I was getting pretty pale and looked really sick. I was finally sent to a specialist who told me about Myeloma. I have low levels of red blood cells and my bones are pretty weak, so I had to get surgery on my back and they're planning a blood transfusion."

"Woah," Kevin said. "So, you okay now?"

"Yeah, definitely. You guys have been so awesome, how could I not?" Jenna and Kevin looked at each other for a moment taking in Xavier's compliment. "It's not about what you go through; it's the lesson you learn from it and the people around definitely helps when you're going through some tough times."

"Life is filled with obstacles," Jenna said.

"Exactly," Xavier agreed. "You guys are lucky you have each other."

Kevin unconsciously reached over to wrap his arm around Jenna's waist before saying, "Well, now you've got us too."
Sign up to rate and review this story