Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 22 It knows the future too?

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chatper 22

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-11-04 - Updated: 2008-11-04 - 1617 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 22 It knows the future too?

Kevin was packing all his things getting ready to leave. He took a look in is bunk to see if there was something stuck between the mattress and the wall. After finding nothing he straightened up with a sigh. He nodded to himself and turned to finish up packing in the back lounge. Once he turned, there she was invading his personal space once again. Chelsea was a little too close, so close that he could feel her breath hit his shirt.

"I never noticed how tall you are," Chelsea said.

"Umm... okay," Kevin muttered before going around her to the lounge.

Chelsea followed him and sat off to the side. She pulled out her Rubik's Cube with a sad expression on her face.

"So you're leaving tomorrow night," she stated more than asked.

"Yeah," Kevin simply stated.

Chelsea started playing with the cube turning it every way possible. Kevin looked up at her wondering what she was "hearing" from the cube. She looked up their eyes locking with his, but her hands didn't stop.

"Congratulations," she said. Kevin gave her a questioning look not knowing what she was talking about. "On your baby," she elaborated.

How could she have known? She was on stage when Jenna called me... and I haven't told anyone, Kevin thought to himself.

Chelsea just smiled and waved the cube in the air.

"You're gonna be a good father to those two kids," Chelsea said.

"Two?" Kevin asked.

"A boy and a girl, the boy comes first," she said with a smile. She stopped playing with the cube and looked at it. "I admit, sometimes this thing is wrong, but it's right a lot of times."

Kevin wanted to ask for an example, but he didn't think it was right to encourage this absurdity, so he just chose to ignore it.

"It was wrong about you and me," she said. "But it was right in getting you to be my manager. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for you."

"You know what I think?" Kevin asked. He didn't get a response from Chelsea, but she gave him her undivided attention. "I think these things are already in your head. You're not hearing them from the cube. Whatever good decisions it 'told' you to make," Kevin said throwing air quotes when he said told, "was all you. And even if all that were true you don't need a cube or anyone else to make decisions for you."

"I'm sorry for scaring you," Chelsea said. She got up from the couch, placed the cube in her hoodie pocket, and walked to the door.

Kevin sat there with his things packed feeling equally sorry for Chelsea and afraid of her. A few minutes later his phone began to buzz signaling an incoming call. He looked at the screen seeing Jenna's name flash across it.

"Hey babe," Kevin said after flipping the phone open.

"Hey," Jenna greeted a little sad.

"What's wrong?" Kevin panicked.

"One of my patients died earlier this morning."

"Aww babe I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"I wasn't at the time," Jenna said. "It just happened so fast. I guess I could feel that he was gonna go. He was having a hard time breathing the whole night. When I went in to take his blood pressure he just stopped breathing. I panicked and when I went to get assistance the senior nurse was asking me so many questions..."

Jenna relived the whole experience for Kevin who soothed her in the end.

--- --- --- ---

"The senior nurse was asking me so many questions, what meds did I give him? How much I gave him? Did I do this? Did I do that? Did I page his doctor? And all I could do was stand there dumbfounded shaking my head like an idiot," Jenna retold her story to Larissa and Aina while they were at the fair. It was the day that Kevin was to come back so they thought they'd spend time there while they waited for him. "I felt so worthless and upset that my patient died that I started crying. I mean this is the first time this actually happened to one of my patients. And the worst part, after he was headed down to the morgue I was still crying like a baby and Chris, the head nurse that night comes up to me and he says, 'Okay Jenna, calm down and when you think you can, call his family and tell them to come down.' I was like, are you serious? And I ended up crying even more." Jenna ranted.

"Aww love," Aina said giving her a hug. "It's okay. You probably did a better job than Larissa and I combined could ever do."

"Yeah, that patient was lucky to have you as his nurse," Larissa said joining in on the hug.

The girls pulled away when they heard Frankie yelling, "Aina, Aina! Look at all the stuff I won!"

Frankie hopped, skipped, and jumped over to the girls holding two teddy bears, a giant stuffed tiger, and alanky money with Joe, Nick, and Xavier walking behind him.

"It's been two years and Aina is still your favorite?" Larissa asked in mock hurt.

"Sorry, old habit?"

"You guys won anything?" Jenna asked the guys.

"Yeah," Nick and Xavier said together as they pulled out a cylindrical object each.

"What is that?" Larissa asked.

They both pushed a button as a neon colored extension popped out. "Light sabers!" They yelled in unison as they started to play fight making the illustrious light saber sound.

With a smile Aina turned to Joe and asked, "So... did you win anything?"

"Don't mock me," Joe said with a serious face. He pulled out a small, six inch stuffed dolphin from his back pocket. "For you," he said simply.

"Awww It's so cute," Aina said before giving him a kiss and a hug.

"Some things never change," Larissa said as Jenna nodded in agreement.

After a while of more games and rides they heard some music coming from the concert area. They walked over hoping that they could go in.

"I'm sorry, no one's allowed in during the sound check," the man at the entrance said.

"Oh okay, we're sorry," Jenna said as they all turned around to leave.

Loretta just happened to be walking toward them at the moment. "Hey you guys," she greeted Joe, Jenna, and Aina. "Family outing?"

"That and Jenna was excited to see Kevin," Joe said.

"You can come in with me if you want to, all of you can come in too," she offered.

"I want to see Kevin!" Frankie said excited.

"Okay, follow me then," Loretta said as she walked up to the security guard and flashed her pass. As soon as they stepped through the gate they walked through the open area toward the stage. "I'm actually glad you're here Joe. I think they need help with something," Loretta said.

"Will I get paid?" Joe asked.

"I'll give you a $200 bonus for it if you want."

"Alright," Joe said as they approached Kevin who was facing the stage talking to someone.

"I got a gift for you Kevin," Loretta said when they were close enough. Kevin turned around a smile instantly appearing on his face. "Okay Joe, follow me."

Joe gave Kevin a pat on the back as he passed by. In response Kevin absentmindedly said, "Hey bro," and continued on his way.

Nick, Frankie, and Xavier found interest in what the band currently on stage was doing and wondered off that way.

Jenna, Aina, and Larissa stood where they were as Kevin finally reached them. Kevin and Jenna were looking intently to one another not saying a word. Larissa and Aina looked over at one another wondering why they weren't saying anything.

"Hi Kevin," they said in unison.

"Hey," Kevin said still mesmerized by Jenna.

A moment later he crashed his lips to hers as they partook in a heated kiss. Larissa and Aina were slightly surprised by this and looked around awkwardly not really knowing what to do. After a while they Aina nudged Larissa toward Nick, Frankie, and Xavier and walked off to join them.

"I missed you," Kevin said when he pulled away.

"I missed you too," Jenna said.

Kevin finally looked away from Jenna and asked, "Who are you here with?"

Jenna laughed and gave him alight peck. "I'm here with the girls, your brothers, and Xavier."

"Xavier's here?" Kevin asked looking around and spotting him near the stage. "Awesome."

"Oh did I tell you? His mom we met in the hospital is actually his foster mom?"

"Really?" Kevin asked receiving a nod from Jenna. He turned back to look at Xavier. "Woah."

"Yeah. Sad thing is he's going back to an orphanage."

"What?!" Kevin exclaimed whipping his head around to look back at her. "Why?"

"They're moving to Texas and Xavier doesn't really connect with his foster family and he doesn't want to leave his new friend, so he'd rather go back," Jenna explained.

Kevin just nodded. A few seconds later Chelsea came out on to the stage with her band and backup singers to do their sound check. Kevin looked her way and saw that she was playing with that Rubik's Cube again. She looked up instantly making eye contact with him. She looked over to Xavier and her face lit up. "That's him," she mouthed while pointing to Xavier.

"Kevin, are you okay?" Jenna asked when he got a confused look on his face.

He looked down at her and asked, "How about we adopt him?"
Sign up to rate and review this story