Categories > Original > Drama > The Newlyweds

Chapter 24 Talk About Adoption

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Newlyweds Chapter 24

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-11-07 - Updated: 2008-11-08 - 1359 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 24 Talk About Adoption

Kevin and Jenna walked to the front door to greet Xavier and his foster family.

Xavier formerly introduced the two families. "You guys this is Kevin and Jenna Jonas, guys this is my foster family. You remember my foster mom Tricia, and these are my foster siblings, Iris," he said pointing to the little girl that looked to be about 7, "and this is Bobby," he said pointing to the youngest.

They entered the dining room and for a few minutes there was just the sound of idle chit chat that filled the room. Kevin and Jenna were taking the time to get to know Mrs. Sims and her kids.

When Iris and Bobby were done with their dinner Jenna led them to the back room which she made into a second living room. There wasn't anything in that room, just a couch, coffee table, and a few pictures on a shelf.

"So what do you guys want to do?" Jenna asked them.

"Can we draw?" Iris asked.

"Sure, just stay right here," Jenna said going into the other living room to get some computer paper and markers she bought for Xavier and Nick when they were working on a project at the apartment a month before. She walked back into the back room and placed the paper and markers on the table. "Here you go," she said. "That's good enough right? We don't have much else."

"This is great," Iris said.

"Thank you Mrs. Jonas," both kids said and Jenna headed back into the dining room.

"Kevin says you're three months pregnant," Tricia said when Jenna sat in her seat.

"Yes, just a little over three months," she confirmed.

"I'm sure you'll be a great mother."

"Oh, thank you."

"That's really good to hear," Kevin said. There was a small pause. "Tricia, we kind of had ulterior motives behind this dinner," he confessed.

"Really? And what exactly were these ulterior motives?" She asked suspiciously.

Kevin looked over at Jenna before saying, "We wanted to talk about you moving?"

"What about it?" Tricia's suspicion was replaced by confusion.

"Well," Jenna started, "we know Xavier's your foster child."

"Mmhmm."

"We just wanted to know if you all have talked about what's going to happen when you move."

"We did," Xavier said speaking for the first time. "I told you, I'm going back to the orphanage. What's going on you guys?

Kevin sighed. "Well, we don't want you to go back."

"I'd love to adopt Xavier, but I can see how much he'd hate to leave his friend. I believe he's your younger brother," Tricia said to Kevin. "And I don't have the power to make him do anything that he doesn't want to do."

"Actually, we were hoping to..." Kevin trailed off a little.

"Adopt him?" Tricia asked making it sound like the most preposterous thing in the world. "You two are way too young to be thinking of adopting a teenager."

"And you guys have a baby to be thinking about," Xavier added.

"Money will be a little tight," Kevin confessed. "But we know we can do this."

Tricia crossed her arms over her chest, her maternal instincts kicking in. "And what makes you think that you can?"

"Well, we have a great accountant that believes that we can handle all this financially," Jenna said.

"Listen, Tricia, I don't think all of this is a coincidence," Kevin said with a sigh. "I mean Jenna being his nurse, me meeting him in the hospital that day, and Nick being his best friend. Out of all the nurses in the hospital and the kids that he goes to school with, it's like fate.

"Tricia, we love Xavier so much. I think he was my sanity when Kevin was gone and whenever I had troubles. It sounds like a selfish reason, but we need him," Jenna said almost pleading. "And we'd hate to see him going to an orphanage."

Tricia uncrossed her arms and placed them on the table. "I'd love to see Xavier adopted by people as wonderful as you two," she said. "But you're gonna have a hard time swaying the decision of the social workers." She turned to Xavier. "How do you feel about all this?"

Xavier looked at Kevin and Jenna. "I'd love to live with you guys, but seriously, you guys have a baby to think of."

"You just don't wanna change her diaper right?" Kevin asked jokingly causing everyone at the table to laugh a little.

"But seriously, social workers look at everything," Tricia said getting serious again.

"It sounds like you're trying to help us," Jenna observed.

Tricia gave her a smile, "Of course, I'll help you with whatever I can."

"Are you okay with this Xavier?" Jenna asked. "Don't worry about the baby or anything; if we can adopt you, are you willing to let us?"

"I'd love for you guys to adopt me," Xavier said with a smile on his face.

Jenna's eyes started to water as she walked over to sit in the empty chair next to Xavier and gave him a hug.

"Why is she crying?" Kevin mouthed to Tricia.

"It's the pregnancy," she mouthed back while patting her stomach.

Kevin mouthed an "Oh," in response.

When the Sims left Kevin and Jenna were in the living room watching TV. Kevin sat with his feet up on the coffee table in front of them with his arm around Jenna's waist. Jenna had her back to Kevin as she leaned on him with her feet stretched out on the rest of the couch. Jenna felt Kevin lightly rubbing her stomach and remembered something he said at the dinner table.

"Kevin," she said to get his attention.

"Yeah, babe?"

"Remember when you joked about Xavier not wanting to change the baby's diaper?" She asked.

Kevin let out a light chuckle before saying, "Yeah, what about it?"

"You said 'her diaper.' How do you know it's gonna be a girl?"

Kevin shrugged. "Just a feeling."

"Would you feel disappointed if it were a boy instead?"

"Of course not," Kevin said before placing a kiss on the top of her head. "That just means that we'll have to try for a girl next time."

Jenna looked up to see asmile on Kevin's face. She shook her head and they continued to watch the TV in content silence.

A few minutes later Kevin's phone started to ring. "Who would be calling us at 9 pm?" Kevin asked himself out loud. He reached into his pocket to pull out his phone and took a look at the screen. The name Chelsea was flashing at the bottom. Curious he flipped his phone open and said, "Hello?"

"Hey Kevin, its Chelsea. Sorry it's a little late, but if I didn't call you now I wouldn't have called at all," she said, her Australian accent as thick as ever.

"Yeah what's up?"

"Well, I have a show tomorrow night, just me, at a little club. I was wondering if you and Jenna would like to come." When Kevin didn't answer right away she said, "I already asked Joe, he said he'd come with his fiancée, and Sam and his cousins, and other people from TTR are coming to see me. I'm still a little desperate for an audience."

"Umm… we'll see. It's a little short notice," Kevin said a little uncertain.

"Oh, okay. Well, I hope you guys can make it. Joe has all the info if you decide to come. Bye."

Kevin hung up a little unsure about the invitation.

"Who was that?" Jenna asked breaking him from his thoughts.

"That was Chelsea." Jenna looked at him questioningly. "She's inviting us to a show tomorrow night."

"Isn't she still on tour?" Kevin just shrugged. Jenna was still weary of Chelsea, but was just as curious as Kevin was about the situation. "Maybe we should go."

"What?"

"Well, we're not doing anything and... I'm interested in seeing her perform for a real crowd," Jenna half lied.

Kevin agreed that they’d go and made a mental note to call Joe for the info in the morning.
Sign up to rate and review this story