Categories > Original > Fantasy > Storm

2

by KateMarieCullen 1 review

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2008-12-17 - Updated: 2008-12-18 - 664 words

0Unrated
I woke up in hospital, with Jez in the bed on my left and our parents sleeping on a couch in the corner of the room. The light that filtered through the window on my right was the pale blue of an early morning.
I tried to sit up, but stopped when this movement evoked a sharp pain in my head.
Thank god, Storm’s awake now. I wonder what happened. I heard my sister say- wait a second... Jezabel had not opened her mouth. I tried to think something in return.
Hey, Jez. Are you okay? I’m not sure what happened. How long have we been here, do you know?
Oh my god! She exclaimed in her thoughts. No way! Either that was some really freaky cloud in the park or I’m still dreaming.
Well I don’t think we’re dreaming together- this had actually occurred a couple of times- so I wonder what happened.
I think then that our parents sensed that we were awake, as they stirred on their couch. As they wakened, our mother looked at me and smiled.
“What happened?” I asked.
“The doctors aren’t sure, dears,” our mother started explaining. “They think that you two had seizures and fell into comas. Thank god you’re finally awake.
Jez was surprised “how long have we been in comas?”
“Coming up two weeks now, hon,” our father, usually a quiet man, answered.
This shocked me too. I don’t think the doctors are right. About the seizures, anyway, I thought.
Neither, Jez replied mentally.
I had started to come to terms with the fact that Jez and I were hearing each other’s thoughts. The strange thing was, it didn’t feel different to me. Jez and I were so close that we usually knew what the other was thinking, or, at least, feeling, and this just felt like an extension of that. It was definitely weird, but that came with the territory of being twins. Either that, or Jez and I were just weird from the start.
“Everyone’s been very worried about you two,” our mother said, pointing to a small table stacked with ‘get-well soon’ cards and presents. “Most of your friends have visited more than once each, and Bre and Seth have called, if not visited, every day since you were admitted. I’m sure they’ll visit as soon as they can, once they hear you’re awake.”
As our mother was talking, a young, male doctor walked gracefully into our room.
Oh. My. God. Wow. Just- wow. Jez’s barely coherent thoughts assaulted my mind.
What is wrong with you? I questioned her, confused by her garbled thoughts. Jez was never lost for words.
Look at that guy! Man, he’s so hot!
God, Jez. I can see your hormones weren’t effected in that freak accident. I tried not to laugh, surprised that Jez, of all people, could be affected into wordlessness by the looks of a guy.
Come on, Storm, you have to be secure enough in your masculinity to see that he really is... rather good looking. This doctor was ‘rather good looking,” as Jez had pointed out. It amused me to hear her downplay how good she thought he looked.
“Good morning,” the doctor greeted us in a quiet, musical voice. Jez almost visibly swooned beside me. “ I’m glad you two are both finally awake. I’m Dr. Masen. How are you feeling?”
I tried to sit up, and again experienced the sharp ache. “I feel okay, except for a killer headache when I try to move,” I answered the doctor’s question.
“The same for me,” my twin answered. Should we mention this mind-sharing thing?
No, I don’t think so. Not yet, at least. I answered my sister.
“Okay. I’ll book you both in for CTs and MRIs, but in the meantime, I’ll get the nurse to give you some painkillers.”
*
Sign up to rate and review this story