Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Death Note: A New Era

Confrontation

by Shank 0 reviews

Ryuji vs Kira

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Characters: Yagami Raito,Yagami Soichiro - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2009-02-17 - Updated: 2009-02-17 - 2097 words - Complete

0Unrated
It had come-the final confrontation and plan of Ryuji. That morning without warning, Light’s father Soichiro was abducted as he left the house for work. They knew this because his car was still in the driveway that morning and his glasses were left on the driveway. Light knew who it was and what was going in, Ryuji was making his final stand against him to bring him down, he must have known Light was Kira now somehow and it was his plan to bring him out and make him known to the world before killing him. Light had to ensure he didn’t do anything to conspicuous until contact was made, it was only him and Matsuda in the office and they waited, sure enough, the phone Ryuji had given them rang and Light picked it up, “This is L.”
“L. I have Soichiro.”
“What are your intentions with him seeing as though you are old friends?”
“Be sure I will kill him if you do not come and get him.”
“Where are you?”
“I am at Tojiki Park, just outside the primary school…you should remember which school that is L?”

Light remembered back. The first time he had ever used the notebook with his power of Kira was on the murderer that had taken hostages at the school. Was this some kind of sick humour Ryuji was playing with Light? How he even had enough evidence and back up to be making these claims is beyond Light and then he realised maybe his whole scheme rested upon bluffing Light into making a mistake. Just like in a game of poker, a person may not have the best hand but they will raise the bet making it appear they have an unbeatable hand and intimidating their opponents into thinking they have something good. It didn’t matter, Light was confident enough that he knew what was going on. No matter if he was a police officer; there was no physical evidence, no forensics, nothing that could link him to being the worst serial killer in history.

Light thought for a minute, it was still him and Matsuda in the office; he took out his phone and rang Mogi. “Mogi, dad has been abducted by Ryuji-we need you at the park now.” Mogi said he was on his way and Light called Aizawa to tell him the same thing and kept his phone out for a text message. This was arguably the most important text message he would ever send. Matsuda led him down stairs to a car parked to head off to their destiny. Light looked out the window on the way there. He had a smile on his face as he put a pen into his top pocket. This mere pen would be the answer to everything, he had predicted his opponent’s moves and acted accordingly and now it was time to execute it.

They arrived soon enough. Mogi was already there waiting for them. Matsuda got onto his phone and called Aizawa. They spoke for a bit and he hung up the phone, “Aizawa is here on the other side of the park in order to corner him and make sure there is no escape.” Light nodded. This was perfect. There was no way Ryuji could escape now. Light looked around. It was still dark and the sun hadn’t even risen yet. The street lights which were usually on had been switched off. Ryuji had most likely broken them all so he could not be seen easily and identified by Kira. This was once more a useless tactic, which Light knew he would do. They walked carefully into the park, until they saw a dark figure on the ground. He wasn’t moving much, “Ryuji? Dad?” Light called out. When the figure heard his voice, it began to squirm around on the floor. It was Soichiro, tied up and gagged in the middle of the park. There was nobody else in sight, but Light knew Ryuji was watching.

Out of nowhere, Light was taken out by a shot to the face that dropped him to the ground. He looked up and around but nobody was there. “I only saw a shadow but he was too quick.” Matsuda yelled. Light got up off the ground and rubbed his face. It was a good shot that had taken him by surprise-even he hadn’t predicted that. To make such a daring move meant the emotions were running through him like a river right now. This meant he wasn’t thinking rationally and easier to catch. Finally Ryuji’s voice was heard from behind a tree, “So you have come Kira?”
“You mean L?”
“No I meant Kira. You are Kira…Yagami Light.” This guy had indeed found out his name. Light looked at his dad but it was still too dark to see his face. “So we are here now, what happens next?” asked Light.
“Next comes the lights. I don’t know where from, but they will surely come,” said Ryuji. They stood in silence for about a minute before they heard sirens. It was like an army of police cars showing up around the park, beaming their headlights and illuminating the area they were in.

As Light suspected, Ryuji was wearing his mask. “If I was indeed Kira, I would only need to wait until you were arrested from here and your mask will be removed, so I can only assume you have a special reason for being here in this plan of yours?”
“Yes Kira that is true. But you need to bring me down before I expose everything. If you shoot me down before I finish, you will only prove that you are Kira and I have made some assurances in the event of you killing me that the information to be released to the right people. When I am finished talking, I will take off my mask.” Light smiled. Even though looking at Ryuji in the mask for the first time in person was rather daunting, “So you never really escaped from prison then?”

“Oh yes I was in prison and I escaped from prison. Both I and my wife were in prison. You see, your father would know, our daughter was raped and murdered a year ago. We were a happy family that did everything right and I worked for justice every single day of my life. But this monster…what he did to my baby girl was horrific and then walked free because there wasn’t substantial evidence to put him away…this we couldn’t handle. My wife and I took it upon ourselves to find this man, and kill him. We were willing to accept being arrested for it when we were found as we knew that pure irony would land us behind bars for killing the man that couldn’t be put there. We did nothing different to what you do, we killed a bad person, a man that made this world evil, but yet you killed her…and why? You only saw her name and face and you labelled her a cold blooded killer just because a few words on a piece of paper said so. She was undertaking justice. If you Kira were really a God of the new era, then you would punish those that deserved to be punished. All you did was pass on it quickly to move to someone else, you do not even remember who she is.” Light had to hide the hurt he felt. If this was true, then he was at fault for this and couldn’t apologise like his gut was telling him to.

Ryuji getting emotional continued, “I couldn’t wait in my cell for you to finish me off too, so I took it upon myself to get out and find you. I obviously cannot plan as well as you Yagami Light, but I had enough of a plan to risk my life for. The plan of getting out of prison was nothing compared to putting the pieces together to get you.”
“I am not Kira Ryuji, so it doesn’t matter if you staged the prison break out or not.”
“I didn’t stage anything Kira. I broke out of prison. It was I who started the riots on the inside. I was able to corner a crooked guard and get him out of his uniform, he died like her should have with the other scum of the riots. A connection I had inside the prison helped me to be my last distraction to get out and come for you, maybe you remember him seeing as though you looked him up.” Light remembered the Yakuza member Narita Katsourou the man he had originally thought was behind the prison escape and Ryuji. “The fact you knew who Katsourou was even though his name wasn’t released to the public meant you had some kind of police connections, I had to get to L the one person that stood against you, little did I know you had already infiltrated his unit and destined to meet up with me.” This is why Light didn’t kill him when he had got rid of all the escapees. He wasn’t on the escapee list; he was on the casualties list.

Ryuji continued, “Soichiro was an old friend of mine, so I still had his number somewhere knowing that being one of the best law enforcers in the country and a strong sense of justice, he would surely be on the Kira case with L in Japan. Next was my suspicion of the character Kira would have to be. Definitely a young egotistical male who said he wanted justice, but really wanted to rule over humanity with a non-complete model of ethics.” The way he was talking about Kira’s path enraged him. But it wasn’t until Light looked passed the insult he was saying and realised what he was actually saying. “Kira would be a very intelligent person and one who wasn’t emotional. He would see emotions as unnecessary to him and makes his decisions with rational choice-weighing up all the details. Your rational and logical mind make you conceded Light and your team cannot deny you are able to convince people to agree with you with your words.” Everyone looked at Light; this was indeed a perfect fit of him. Ryuji kept going, knowing he was onto something, “I know all of this Light, because of what I once used to do. I was a psychological profiler for the police, able to use the evidence of the crims and form a personality profile of the killer. The only thing I needed to do was distinguish you from the rest of your unit and prove you were Kira.”
“Are you finished with this madness Ryuji?”

“Almost Kira…almost,” he leant down and untied Soichiro was still tied and gagged on the ground. Soichiro got up and walked over to his partners. “I will now take off my mask Kira and await death. Oh yes Kira I know that you have Amane Misa around here somewhere watching, waiting to kill me when I show my face but I don’t care. I have told everyone you are Kira and when I die you will die soon enough.” Ryuji reached up to the mask and pulled if off exposing his face for the first time. There was nothing special about it, he looked like a regular man, but it was his eyes that had Light worried. They showed no emotion, they showed hurt and depression-but Light had won. He knew this is what Ryuji would do hoping to be killed straight after showing his face and proving Light was Kira, it was a sacrificial trump card in an effort to bring him down. The death note however could control people before they died, Amane Misa was now watching through a hidden camera in the pen Light carried in his pocket. She was all alone as Mogi was there to back them up and all she needed to do is write the details of Ryuji’s death through a mishap with the surrounding police officers killing him and there was no way of proving it was Light or Misa that did it. Trying to contain his laughter, Light had to ask, “So was it my dad that put you away?”
Ryuji smiled, “It wasn’t your dad that put me away Kira…it was Shuichi Aizawa.”
Sign up to rate and review this story