Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > My Light Is Electric

My Light Is Electric (Part 29)

by ohsotay23 5 reviews

Oh nozz! What happens to Gabe? :0 You'll just have to read and see. :] Reviews are really really really ridiculously good looking.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2009-02-26 - Updated: 2009-02-27 - 1738 words - Complete

0Unrated
The sight before my eyes shocked me to the core.

My father was embracing Gabe tightly, and not in the bad way. He was actually giving him a big bear hug.

The look on Gabe’s face was comedy at its best. I had too many questions that were running through my head though to laugh at the poor guy’s fear and confusion.

“Uhmm, Daddy dearest, I have a few questions,” I said tapping his shoulder cautiously.

“Wait a second girl, can’t you see I’m trying to embrace my son-in-law here,” he said scolding me.

“Uhmm, so you’re not angry?” I questioned carefully with a hesitant smile on my face.

“Of course I’m not andgry, he’s got money, I don’t have to worry about being supported when I’m older. This boy here is my life insurance, right boy?” he said turning his attention to Gabe.

“Uh, y-yes sir, o-o-of co-course,” he stuttered.

“Good, this boy here’s got it right,” my dad said nodding. Apparently Gabe’s new name is ‘boy’? Whatever floats my father’s boat.

“Oh shut up Mike, he’s just scared to death of you and therefore going along with everything you say,” my aunt Nina told him wiping her hands on her apron and giving him ‘the look’.

I had to admit, Gabe was scared shitless of my Dad. It was funny too because my dad stood at 5’ 11’ which is pretty tall but Gabe still towered over him by almost half a foot! It was definitely lol worthy.

“That’s good; he should be scared of me, very scared. I’m a scary person,” my Dad said playing up the whole intimidating father act.

Many people were actually scared shitless of my father, but my name could definitely not be included in that list.

“Oh, shut up Dad. Are you on our side or against us?” I asked him.

“Hmm, well, if I don’t have to pay for the whole wedding by myself like your grandfather did with your mother than I’m on your side,” he said pondering to himself.

Me and Gabe, who had finally been released by my father who sat there lost in his thoughts, smiled at each other as our eyes met.

Then someone behind my Dad cleared their throat and my head whipped in that direction.

It was my Grandma, shit.

“Umm, hi Grandma,” I said nervously. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my grandma to death, but she was very traditional and set in her ways. She was raised in an old Irish family, so you can’t really blame her.

“Hi sweetie,” she said smiling genuinely, “now I think it’s my turn to give my opinion on this whole engagement that you’ve got going on here,” she commented.

“Umm, yes g-ma?” I said using her nickname that me and my cousins have had for her since we were in our preteens, we used to think that we were pretty clever for it.

I moved back against Gabe and he wrapped his arms around me as we waited for my grandma to make her decision. It was then that I noticed my grandpa standing a little behind her. He was an old little Pollack. He was tan as hell, full of wrinkles, white hair, and stood no taller than 5’ 6”. But I loved him to death. He used to have a garbage business way before I was born and is still very good friends with those scary Sopranos-like mobster dudes.

He’s the epitome of an old grandpa. But he was my Pop-pop.

“Well,” my Grandma started, “I can’t say much, because I don’t really know this young man very well, but from what I can see his intentions are not bad,” she said slowly, observing us.

She continued, “I know that you guys have only known each other for a few weeks and though I am very against those what do you call them? Ah! Although I am very much against those ‘shotgun weddings’, I think I might make an exception here,” she admitted.

“Really Grandma? You approve?” I asked in total shock.

“I wouldn’t go that far, as to saying that I ‘approve’ of this whole ‘shotgun’ thing, but I do approve of Gabriel here, he has given me no reason not to trust that his intentions are pure,” she told me stiffly.

“You can call me Gabe ma’am,” Gabe told her politely with a smile.

“No, your name is Gabriel, you were given that name for a reason young man, and that’s what I’ll refer to you as. And you can call me Mrs. Ciuba, because that is only polite, I’m sure you’re aware,” she told him. I knew she was busting his balls, but he didn’t need to know that right now.

“Um, y-yes ma’am. I mean Mrs. Ciuba!” he said quickly trying to correct himself.

We sat there waiting to see my Grandma’s reaction. She sat there for about a minute with a straight and blank look on her face. Then all of a sudden a smile broke out onto her face and she chuckled slightly.

“Oh, calm down young man, I’m just messing with you,” she said laughing slightly as she patted him on the shoulder and gave him a hug, nowhere near as intense as my Dad’s, but a hug non the less.

“So Grandpa, what do you think?” I asked him, smiling at the crazy old man.

“Well, as long as he doesn’t try to steal my good hammer or my junk truck then he can be one of us,” my Grandpa said nodding to himself.

“I think he can handle that Grandpa,” I told him chortling.

“Good, good,” my Grandpa nodded as he went off to go examine the new gazebo that my parents had set in the backyard.

Me and Gabe got separated in the crowd and mingled with everyone, hearing congratulations over and over and over again.

These people make me wanna elope or something, and get it all over with. But don’t worry, I won’t. We’re going to do this whole thing the right way.

Eventually I found and empty bench to the side of the backyard and I sighed as I sat down. I watched everybody mingle and loved the fact the my cousin Lori (Alex’s sister) and sister Kylie were hanging with Ashlee, Vicky, Trish, and Cam talking about the newest MAC make up line for the season.

Then I looked across the backyard and saw Alex, Joe, Shaant, Ryland, Nate and my brother Davie flipping all over the trampoline.

My Mom is gonna blow a gasket when she sees them all on there at the same time. And I was so not in the mood to rush one of them to the hospital when either a) the trampoline breaks, b) one of them pushed the other off or c) one of them falls off.

I looked and saw Pete deep in conversation with my Grandma about how tattoos were not a sign of your place in society, a fancy way of saying ‘trashy’, but they were a way for someone to express themselves. That was going to be a really hard case to sell to my Grandma. Remember- she’s a major traditionalist.

Then I saw Patrick in a pleasant conversation with my Dad about music, everything about music. From producing, to composing, to what cords they find the easiest to play on the guitar and which brands are their favorites. My dad used to have a band and is very into the whole music thing, thought that might help.

And then last but not least I saw Andy sitting down at a picnic table with my Grandpa talking about Andy’s tattoos. I could swear that I could also hear my Grandpa lecturing Andy about how ‘real men eat meat and how back in his day non meat eaters where those damn homosexuals’, as he worded it. What can I say? Old Pollack.

I sat there and stared up at the sky looking for images in the clouds, soaking up my moment of solitary peace. I twisted my engagement ring comfortingly. It was already becoming a bad habit.

Suddenly I felt a shadow over me and I looked up.

“Yes, hun?” I asked Gabe who looked exhausted and about ready to drop.

He just sat down and laid his head on my chest and I rubbed his back soothingly.

“I’m so tired, your family is very tiring, and so is all the crew and our friends! If I hear congratulations one more time I think my head may just explode and then we won’t even make it to the alter,” he joked around with a tired smile.

“Well, we only need to stay another hour, it’s already getting dark. Then we can go inside and get ready for bed. I don’t blame you for being drained, my family is very draining. And this is only a small bit of it, a very small part. But you’ll get used to it, no worries,” I tried to reassure him.

“I sure hope so,” he mumbled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be there to save you,” I kidded as I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

He seemed to already be dozing off. It looks like he just curled up on this tinny 5 foot long bench with his head against my chest and my hand running through his hair.

How the hell does this guy fit in these small places?

I just sighed, amused at his antics, and looked around the party again, surveying everyone.

I noticed that my Grandma had been watching me and Gabe from afar while Pete kept rambling on about how ‘tattoos are a form of freedom of speech’ and she gave me a gentle smile and a nod. It was then that I knew that we had her approval.

I looked down at Gabe’s tired sleeping faces and smiled softly.

I knew then that everything was going to be okay. We’d work everything out.

I knew that my life would never be the same after this, and to be honest, I don’t want it to be any other way.
Sign up to rate and review this story