Categories > Original > Fantasy > Queen of Aces

Notify Your Friends Sooner Next Time.

by Celestial_Calamity 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2009-07-30 - Updated: 2009-07-31 - 650 words

0Unrated
“What’d you say?” Aden kept a steady stare and a shocked face that I couldn’t look away from.

Finally, breaking away, I stood up and grabbed a hoodie. “I said, you stay here, I’m going out.” I groaned, tottering towards the door. I glanced out the window at the dark world and stopped dead in my tracks. “What time is it?”

Aden reached in his back pocket and pulled out a phone. “11:43.”

“Crap.” I sighed then bolted out of the house.




“D…why…did we…have…to run…all the way--” Aden panted between his desperate gasps for air.

“Because,” I picked the buttercups up from the grave and tossed them aside, replacing them with tulips, “I visit here every night and I didn’t want to end it now.”

Aden flopped onto his back, still breathing heavily from running, and then turned to face me. “You know, you can’t do this your whole life. One day, you’ll move away or die. And there’s no free space besides your parents so you can’t do that.”

“I can too, and I will. I have to, I don’t have anyone else besides gramps.”

“Well…you have me.” He smiled softly. His eyes were brighter than usual and he looked like a god as his pale skin glowed in the moonlight.

“Fuck you.” I smiled back sweetly.

“You always make me feel so loved,” he rolled his eyes and sat back up, the glow vanished.

“I try my best.” I laughed and started walking off. “I guess you’re right,” I pulled roses out of my hoodie, one after another and threw them on the grave, “I’m actually visiting gramps in Las Vegas tomorrow. These are for while I’m gone,” I continued pulling roses out until Aden grabbed my arm.

“First of all, how do you do that? Second, I’m coming.”

“Magic and hell to the no. I don’t trust you in Las Vegas.” I smirked, pulling more roses out.

“Well, I’m coming, trust me or not. School’s out and we’re going to Sin City together! Wait…that came out wrong. We’re going with your grandpa to Sin City. No. We’re--”

“Please,” I threw a rose in his face, “quit while you’re behind?”

“Gladly.” He breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, I’ll go pack.”

“What about your mom and dad?” I cringed, remembering the big fight I’d heard his parents have the night before.

“The divorced couple went traveling this morning. Raven went to Japan and Xavier went to Germany.” He shrugged, pulling me up, onto his shoulder and carrying me out of the graveyard.

I propped my elbow up and stared behind him as we past the brick towers covered in shadows. “I can’t believe you call your parents by their first names. Then again, it’d be seriously weird to see you call them ‘mom’ and ‘dad’ every time you see them.”

“Yeah, I know.” He jumped up his porch steps and put me down. He dug through his pocket for the key then unlocked the door. “So, how long in Vegas?”

“A couple days, after that we go somewhere else.” I followed him inside to the empty grey hallway. “Gramps LOVES to travel, so I’m not really sure where all we’ll be going.” I ran upstairs to his room. “Either a tornado hit, you didn’t clean your room, or gremlins paid you a visit.”

“Uh, let’s go with the gremlins,” he rushed into his room and started picking random items off the floor then throwing him into his closet.

“Well,” I hopped on his giant black bed, the only clean thing in the room, and sat down, “Pack for a week. If you need anything while we’re traveling, we can buy it, I guess.”
Sign up to rate and review this story