Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Quantum Magic

New Discoveries

by Terrai 8 reviews

Growing up under the Dursley's care has turned Harry into something different.Craving knowledge with an innate curiosity and virtually no morality will take it's toll. Dark/Intelligent Harry

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Voldemort - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2010-03-15 - Updated: 2010-06-18 - 4527 words

5Cliche
Quantum Magic

Chapter One: New Discoveries

Later that day, Harry quietly sifted through the various weeds of the Dursley's lawn, all the while thinking about what happened earlier. He had moved twice from an area to another area instantaneously only by exerting his will, with the added help of desperation. At first he had been completely baffled, but than his calculating mind took over and he began to try to understand this new ability. It acted as a sort of teleportation from the various fantasy novels he had read from the library.

'Hmm, perhaps it is not just a onetime thing, and I would be able to replicate this strange ability though in a different sort of way.' He thought to himself.

Glancing around, Harry saw his aunt relaxing on her beach chair with her hat across her eyes. Focusing on the plant in his hands, he imagined it being split in half and tried to put the most willpower he could manage into it. At first he had no success, so he kept trying harder and harder until a brief exertion of frustration caused him to feel a tingle around his upper spine. Carefully focusing, he replicated the same feeling of frustration, and felt the same amount of sensation on his neck.

'Emotions must be what made my efforts more substantial, perhaps they act as a boost.' His thoughts concluded.

Welling up his thoughts of frustration and the pain he felt from picking weeds most of the afternoon, he forced it into his will and pictured the grass splitting in half. The strange tingling in his neck had intensified and it burst through his body heading towards his hands, where upon reaching the plant split it in half instantly with some slight vibrations. Almost smiling out of joy, Harry threw the split plant down and started to think about this strange phenomenon. While he was thinking deeply, his Aunt noticed him doing nothing and relaxing causing her to screech loudly.

"BOY, what do you think you are doing? Start picking those weeds again!"

Snapping quickly out of his thoughts he faced his Aunt and calmly said "Yes Aunt Petunia."; halfheartedly going back to his work, while his mind was alight with childish ideas of power.

.-.-.

During the night, while the rest of the household was asleep, Harry had quietly awoken and sat up in his small cot. His cupboard was small and didn't have much space to do any sort of activity other than sleep or read. He didn't let this spoil his excitement though, and Harry was nothing if not a curious child. Fixing his glasses on his eyes he looked around, realizing the first thing he could use was a source of light. Thinking back to earlier in the day, he had felt a wave of some sort energy travel down his upper spinal cord and into his hands. Focusing on that same sensation, he willed it into his hands and pictured a bright light. This time however instead of racing through his body it took a more gentle speed until it reached his hands. Upon reaching his palm, a translucent orb purple light emerged out of his hand slowly rising an inch above it.

"Amazing, it's seemingly a sphere of pure energy…" he whispered quietly.

He tried to put it through his small bed sheet and it fluidly went through it, as if there was nothing stopping it. Growing more excited by the second he tried to move it onto his other hand, where it slowly went back into the same position. Nearing his face closer to the sphere, he observed it. It looked like something from one of his science books about electricity and plasma. Slightly glowing and vibrating, it felt warm in his palm, as if though he was holding his hands over a heater. It was finally something he could call his own, an ability which he depend on and enjoy. His mind wandered to the various beatings his Uncle gave him, and thought about power. His relatives had power over him, if he was to misbehave they would hurt him, so he was forced to listen to them. Though now he had unlocked something far more useful than physical strength, an ability straight out of fantasy.

Harry's concentration and focusing wavering more and more as he immersed himself in his memories; the orb of energy began to deteriorate slowly becoming just a spark of violet light until it vanished completely. Startled out of his thoughts by the lack of light and warmth on his palm, he contemplated that to keep the energy stationary you would need to exercise constant focus. Returning back to his prior thoughts, he realized that this new ability could give him exactly what he needed. He was tired of being given scraps for food, working all the time, and listening to constant insults only for the usage of a half broken cot in a ridiculous pseudo-bedroom. If he wanted his life to change, he would have to accomplish it himself through any means available. Smiling slightly as he thought of his future endeavors, he fell into a deep contended sleep.

.-.-.

Staring at the countless books in the library, Harry was thinking of his plans for tonight. In 14 months' time he had broadened his capabilities on his strange new ability, enough to finally proceed with his next step. He would ask the Dursley's various questions, and find out more about his life prior to them, and why they took him in the first place. He knew they would most assuredly become frenzied and not tell him anything, but now he had his own method of persuasion. Progressing much further than making a light, now he is able to produce a form of telekinesis. Focusing on his will and projecting it through his nervous system, he could push and pull matter without any real physical labor. Harry however, with simple logic knew that there was much more to his ability. He was determined to find more knowledge, and harness this strange power of his.

Magic wasn't the only thing Harry had progressed in though, through various books and helpful adults, he had progressed further in linguistics and history. He was now able to speak relatively fluent German, as well as beginning to learn the fundamentals of the Cyrillic alphabet and its main language Russian. In History he had learned about the various twists and turns humanity undertook to become what they are now, from its leaders to its culture and art. Through the sciences, he had learned how the world interacts with each other, and what makes the world tick. Mathematics had helped him broaden his numerical insights, as well as helping in daily life. Constantly expanding his mind has increased his mental acuity far above the normal 9 year old, further branching him off from his peers.

.-.-.

Arriving back at his 'home' purposely late, he flipped the lock open and walked in. Seeing the Dursleys eating the dinner, Harry put on his most twisted smile and walked in.

"Hello family! Oh no don't bother standing up, I just wanted to have a nice chat with you," he jeered sarcastically.

Vernon immediately stood up spluttering angrily, knocking his dinner over and his chair flying backwards.

"BOY, WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE YOU DOING TALKING TO US LIKE THAT?"

Gazing at Vernon calmly, Harry raised his hand summoning his power into his hand, shrouding it in a violet aura. Pointing his palm at Dudley, he grasped the air and pushed up slightly. As if lifted by an invisible entity, Dudley rose in to the air, unable to move a muscle while surrounded by a distortion of air. Harry looked back at Vernon and started speaking calmly.

"Is that anyway to greet a dear nephew of yours, Uncle? Anyway you will sit down and have a chat with me, or I will crush his body... It is your decision."

Petunia shrieked as soon as her precious child was lifted into the air, and yelled at Vernon to sit down. Vernon, both paling and turning purple from rage, shook violently, but in the end managed to sit down glaring at Harry.

"Thank you Aunt, perhaps we will be able to get through this talk without any unnecessary bloodshed. Now, I will ask questions and you will answer them to the best of your knowledge, lie and I will continue on with my threat. The choice as I said last time is with you, I am simply placing the circumstances."

Vernon and Petunia both looked at each other, rapidly deflating from the threat to their child, and decided to agree for Dudley's sake. Harry looked at them both, pleased that they were listening to reason, and that he wouldn't have to deplete his energy to harm his cousin.

"The first question I have been waiting a while to ask, is if you hate me so much, why did you take me in? There were many alternatives, you could have sent me to an orphanage or found another family for me, but you didn't" he concluded quietly.

Petunia looked panicked, while shifting her eyes repeatedly to Dudley. Harry stared at her silently, boring his eyes into hers to detect any perceptible lies.

Swallowing loudly, Petunia looked at Harry with determination and began talking about something she wanted to forget long ago.

"We found you in a bundle with a letter from someone called Dumbledore. He wrote that your parents got themselves killed in one of their freak accidents and that we had to take care of you. Dumbledore also mentioned something about 'Death Eaters or something of the sort and that they wanted to kill you. He mentioned we would be safe from them because of some magic around you, so we took you in for our protection. We never promised that we had to care for you, since I wanted nothing to do with my freak of a sister." Petunia finished spitefully.

Harry was trying to digest all of this information as it came and had started to make some sense of it. He knew now that he was not the only one with this ability, now called as magic apparently. His parents had not died in a car crash as the Dursleys had lied to him, but from some kind of a Death group. He resolved that he would find out about that later and focus on getting more information out of his Aunt.

"I see so this ability I have is magic, broad term but I shall find more about that later. You also mentioned my mother had this ability as well? Explain!" he demanded coldly.

"She got her letter from this magic school, after she went she always came back waving her stick around turning teacups into toads, it was revolting."

"She must have gotten her supplies from somewhere? Magic wands aren't sold in convenience stores Aunt, try and remember where."

Petunia recalled back to her younger years, when her sister told her parents and how happy and thrilled they were. She had become spiteful and jaded after their parents paid much more attention to Lily and her new ability than her. Trying to pass through those memories for the sake of Dudley, she thought about the day Lily and their parents went to get her supplies. Thinking for a moment she finally remembered.

"It was in London, on Charing Cross Road. A dreary pub called The Leaky Cauldron; it was some kind of a pathway to an alley. I didn't bother asking Lily more than that," Petunia answered hoping to be finished quickly.

Harry committed the location to memory and smiled false charmingly at his relatives. "Thank you for the information Aunt, and for not lying of course. We will probably never meet again, thank you for the generous hospitality you have given me these past years."

Glancing at Dudley who was still floating in midair as if nothing had changed, he sent a burst of energy through the hold he had on Dudley's body and sent him flying into a wall. Exiting the living room, he went for the exit of the house while the Dursleys clamored to their son to see if he was all right. Opening the door and walking out in the afternoon breeze gave him a sense of freedom he hadn't felt in his entire life. Finding out he wasn't the only one with this ability had evoked more ideas.

As soon as Harry was out of sight of the Dursley's house he had collapsed on his knee out of the exertion on his magic. He had never tried holding someone as heavy as Dudley for that long of an extended period of time, and it had a large drain on his magical reserves. Taking a few deep breaths he realized he had to board a bus to London, and had to press on before he could relax that day. Standing back up, Harry filled himself with resolve and started his walk to the bus station, mind alive with various thoughts and ideas for the path ahead.

.-.-.

Looking up at the sign, 'The Leaky Cauldron,' Harry observed that people paid no attention to the pub, as if though it didn't exist. Quietly walking up to the entrance he looked inside, or at least tried to since the glass was tinted darkly and seeing through them was impossible. Tilting the hood of his coat a bit more over his eyes and standing up straighter, he pushed open the door and continued inside. Assaulted by the strong smell of various smoking herbs and tea, Harry tried to find the owner of the pub or at least someone who could help. Noticing a counter with a man cleaning mugs, he assumed he was the barkeep and decided to approach him.

"Hello sir, I was wondering if there was a way I could get into the alley, I wandered out by accident and now I can't find a way back inside to find my parents," he asked politely.

Tom looked downward at the polite boy with a hood over his face, most likely to avoid danger and answered jovially, "Of course child, come follow me, I'll show you the way inside."

Leaving the counter, he motioned to Harry who followed silently until they reached a solid wall of bricks. Tom moved ahead and took out his wand, tapping a combination on the bricks which Harry memorized. In succession, after the last tap of the wand, the bricks started twisting and turning, sideways and upwards until they eventually opened a passageway with an archway. Inside was a narrow alley bunched with a variety of shops on each side, all advertising certain items. People dressed in robes were also walking around entering shops and exiting others, as well as communicating happily with each other.

"Thank you sir, I should go find my parents now, they are surely worried about me by now," Harry mentioned to Tom.

"No problem. If you're ever in need of some help in the Leaky Cauldron don't hesitate to ask."

Tom waved goodbye to Harry and proceeded back through the archway. Smiling slightly at successfully getting inside, Harry turned back around to face the alley. It was a magnificent place in his opinion, with each side lined with various shops, and magical energy flowing absently. He could feel his own magic thrumming inside him, trying to intertwine itself with the ambient magic in the air. Wandering down the alley, Harry noticed stores for various ingredients, clothes, animals, and even enchanted brooms. He realized that the first thing he would have to do would be exchange the money he had acquired throughout his life.

It wasn't much, approximately £148 in all. It would be enough however, to buy a few things here and there, books shouldn't cost too much even if the currency is different. Harry noticed that people used coins instead of paper money and from the various exchanges he had seen, there were bronze, silver, and gold coins. He still needed to find a bank or anything close to it and here, so he kept on walking further, eventually reaching a white building that dwarfed the other buildings around it. On its bronze burnished doors, engraved in gold was 'Gringotts Bank.'

At each side stood a peculiar creature of short stature, with clever eyes and pointed teeth. They looked like the various goblins Harry had seen in his fantasy novels, except not of green skin. He was quite surprised at the existence of other sentient beings; he had expected people of magic and in robes, but not for goblins. Reforming his blank face, he glanced imperceptibly at the goblin guards in scarlet gold uniforms, while continuing on inside. He encountered a pair of silver doors this time, engraved with a foreboding warning…

Enter, stranger, but take heed

Of what awaits the sin of greed,

For those who take, but do not earn,

Must pay most dearly in their turn.

So if you seek beneath our floors

A treasure that was never yours,

Thief, you have been warned, beware

Of finding more than treasure there.


'Clever, it would certainly keep out most would be thieves,' Harry thought.

.-.-.

Harry was bowed in by 2 goblins, into a vast hall full of long narrow counters filled with more goblins. Some were weighing different kinds of coins on scales, while others were peering at various precious gems and stones. Harry looked around trying to find someone who can give him some advice or instructions and noticed a few free goblins reading parchments. Walking up politely to one of them, Harry made a noise so the goblin could peer down at him.

"Hello sir, I was wondering where I could find out more information on this bank, maybe someone who can explain more. Also, is everything said here completely confidential regardless of age?"

"Yes, everything in Gringotts Bank is confidential... why do you ask?" the goblin said looking down at Harry.

Harry removed his hood, "My name is Harry Potter, I was just told by my – non-magical relatives that my parents were from the magical world, and that they were killed. I was wondering if they had left behind any information for me."

The goblin glanced at the scar at Harry's head and quickly sat up straighter, "We would need to perform a verification check, Mr. Potter, if you wouldn't mind."

"What would I have to do?" queried Harry.

"Prick the top of your finger with the point of this blade, and let the drop fall into this bowl. I shall complete the rest of the procedure."

Harry took the silver knife from the goblin, and pressed his finger to the top of it. Letting a few drops fall into the bowl, the goblin gave him some sort of cream to heal the wound. Applying a small bit of it to his finger, it sealed up instantaneously. The goblin meanwhile had dropped his blood on a piece of parchment which seemed to just absorb it inside. Slowly characters began to appear on it.

Name: Harry James Potter

Mother: Lily Evans Potter

Father: James Potter


Reading the parchment, a calculating glint entered the goblin's eye. "You are indeed a Potter, Mr. Potter; I will bring you to the manager of the Potter accounts."

Harry's eyes widened at the mention of the accounts, but hid it well enough so the goblin didn't notice and nodded. They went through a pair of metal doors to the side of the room, which were engraved strange symbols. Inside there were doors on both side of the hallway, marked with different family crests. They walked downs the narrow hallway for a minute in relative silence until they reached a polished maple door.

"Through that door you shall find Ghistok, he should be able to answer all of your questions" and with that the goblin left.

Harry twisted open the doorknob and entered the room. It was a simple room, with various cabinets and a wooden desk in the center of the room. Ghistok looked up from his work and noticed Harry glancing around. He had a wizened old appearance, with white hair and coal-like eyes.

"Greetings, Mr. Potter, I was told you needed some questions answered?"

"Yes sir, my non-magical relatives and me had a sort of a disagreement today, they did not treat me well at all, and were more my prison guards than caretakers. I persuaded them to tell me information, and found out I was a wizard. I came to Gringotts thinking a bank would have more records of my parents and from what I heard of Potter accounts, I'd assume I have some sort of inheritance?" Harry questioned.

Ghistok took a moment to retrieve something from one of the cabinets and sat down again facing Harry. "First of all, yes you have a pretty substantial inheritance from the Potter line, since you are the main heir. The Potters are an old wizarding family, who made many wise investments over the years, though in the current time after the death of your Grandfather, Charles Potter, the family began to lose a bit of its wealth. Your father was not much into gold or inheritances and only used the family money a few times in his life. About your guardians however, Gringotts only knows that you were sent to live with your only known familial members by Albus Dumbledore."

Harry pondered on this for a moment, thinking out all the advantages an inheritance would have, but he also noticed one particular name in Ghistok's answer, Dumbledore.

"My aunt also mentioned someone by the name of Dumbledore leaving a letter to her, the night that I was brought there. Who is Albus Dumbledore?" Harry asked.

"Albus Dumbledore is the current Headmaster of Hogwarts, Britain's Wizarding School, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, as well as the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards. In short, he is vastly influential person in the Wizarding world. He should not have however, put you with the Dursley family until a proper residence could have been found." Ghistok explained.

Wondering why such an influential man decided upon himself to take one of his student's children to their families instead of just leaving it to the proper facilities, Harry voiced his question.

"Mr. Potter, you as well are famous in the wizarding world, you are known as the Boy-Who-Lived by most wizards and witches, which is quite ridiculous in my opinion, but to each their own. You had defeated You-Know-Who, the reigning Dark Lord for the past 30 years, at the age of 1. Many consider this an amazing feat and hailed you as their savior, as it was said you rebounded his own Killing Curse back at him effectively destroying him," Ghistok answered amusedly.

Harry tried to contemplate this as best he could, but was having difficulty with it.

'He was apparently some mystical savior for the wizarding population who hailed them as his hero, yet he got stuck with a hateful non-magical family his entire life. The sheer idiocy of it was amazing. Being famous is more trouble than it is worth,' his thoughts finished.

"Is there any way I would be able to change my name? Fame is not something I would need on my mind..."

"The Potter family is descended from the ancient Peverell line, so you are able to take on that name and all its responsibility, as it was a rather old family. The procedure would incorporate the Potter line back into the Peverell line and make you the sole heir. Gringotts has been becoming more and more secular from the Ministry of Magic as well, so we are not required to even note that we have done this," Ghistok answered grinning.

Harry stood for a moment, deciding if he should go through with this. It would effectively give him a separate identity and relieve him of his fame, but at the same time Harry Potter would no longer exist and he would have to remove the Potter line. In the end he decided to change his name in blood and magic. "I agree, how will this work?"

Ghistok got up and retrieved from the cabinet a few files and folders as well as a silver dagger.

"I will be using goblin magic to change your name both magically and through blood. If successful you will no longer considered a minor, since being an heir of an ancient line grants you full emancipation rites. Your entire Potter inheritance shall be transferred to the Peverell vault which has sadly through the ages declined into nothing but a few books and a small sum of money. You will need to choose a different first name, as the magic requires both are changed. When you are ready take the blade and cut your palm to release the blood on this parchment. The blade is a ritual dagger so it will heal your wound right after."

Harry nodded and took the dagger from Ghistok. Bracing himself for the pain, he put the edge across his palm and sliced downwards letting the blood drip into the bowl. Gritting his teeth, he waited for the cut to seal back up.

"I would like my first name to be Aldrych."

Ghistok nodded and began chanting in Gobbledegook. After several moments Harry could feel the air begin to vibrate and red swirls begin to form around the blood. With further chants the winds began to spin more violently, blowing through the room and knocking small objects down. A few more moments past and the wind suddenly quieted, red magic stopping in midair. Ghistok's final chant caused the magic to start to seep into Harry's body slowly, until it completely enveloped him. Out of it, a minuscule white beam of magic was seen being ejected out of it. The red light receded and Ghistok leaned back in his chair, allowing his magic to settle down and rest while giving Harry a reflective surface to see his new features.

The changes were small but visible. His nose became more aquiline, while his aristocratic features developed further. Messy cascading hair straightened out a fair bit, while he grew an inch or two in height. His eyes were the biggest change though, turning a vibrant shade of violet, an old trademark of the Peverell family. Effectively, Harry Potter was no more.

XXXXXXXXXX

A/N: Aldrych is a variation of the Old English, Aldrich which means olden or old king. I will be referring to Harry as Aldrych from now on. For any who were confused on why Aldrych/Harry's features changed, it is because the magic erased most of the genetics he received from his mother's line and filled in the missing blanks with Peverell genetics that were within his bloodline. For any who were wondering if the story was going to be slash or not, I will not be making it slash. I'm more going to be sticking to platonic relationships.
Sign up to rate and review this story