Categories > Original > Romance > God Save The Queen- -Brendon Urie- -((1))

Save Your Heart

by KissedByANerd 0 reviews

Our eyes locked and for an instant I felt something I hadn’t felt before, someone honestly cared.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-07-11 - Updated: 2010-07-11 - 1353 words

0Unrated
Vanessa

I watched as the people absent-mindlessly walked past my door. I told Katy to leave it open so I could have at least some human interaction.

Well, me watching them walk by isn’t really considered interacting with them but you get the point.
A couple that seemed to be around my age caught my eye. The girl was petite with crazy curly hair and the guy, who she clung to like he was her life support, was a tall version of her only with straight razor-textured spikes opposed to a curly mess.

The breeze from my open window reached the paper stars and they brushed against each other as they swayed.

The guy glanced over into my room and did almost what looked like a double take. He seemed intrigued by the thousands of paper stars that hung freely on my ceiling.

I watched him whisper something in the girls ear, who I assumed was his sister, and she nodded back at him and went out of my sight.


He hesitantly took a step into my room with his face cast upwards at the stars. It took him a few minutes to realize I was in the hospital bed and once he did he took a large step out of my room and back into the hallway.


“I- I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.” His voice was deep, almost familiar.

I smiled weakly at him, “Interesting, right?”

He walked back into my room and reached up to touch one of my stars.

The point of a lime green star brushed against his fingertips and a small smile appeared on his face.

“This is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen.”

I watched as he let his hand run across a row of stars and he sighed. “What are there...a hundred?”


“A thousand exactly.” My voice was groggy from the lack of talking I had been doing. Katy really wasn’t interesting to me anymore so I had no one else to talk to.

The guy gawked at me from where he stood at the foot of my bed. “You made these?”

I smiled proudly. “Yeah, each one.”

He sighed up at the stars. “This must of taken months.”

I glanced down at my blanket and chuckled. “Years, actually. Five to be exact.”

The guy’s eyes were now on me and I suddenly became self-conscious. I wasn’t ugly, I never really thought that of myself. But I knew that my body looked sickly and I had no color what so ever in my face.

“You’ve been here for five years?”

He moved to the chair beside my bed and scoot close to me.

I nodded and sighed, “It’s been quite an adventure.”

“Wow, that’s...a really long time.” He was speechless, just like everyone else. “I’m Brendon, by the way.”

I smiled and folded my arms across my stomach. “Vanessa, or Ness if you really want to get friendly.”


Brendon caught the slight sarcasm in my voice and he chuckled. “Then Ness it is.”


I could feel a blush creeping onto my face so I turned my head to the stars. “So Brendon, tell me about yourself.”

I knew he was smiling, I could feel it. “Well, I am 19 and graduated from Watson High school. My favorite color is blue and I am extremely charming.”

I turned to look at him and I laughed. “I feel like I know your whole life story now.”


Brendon chuckled. “What about you?”

I glanced over at his face. It was masked with pure interest. “What about me?”

“Tell me about yourself.”

I sighed, there was so much I could tell. “I’m 18 and was emitted into this hospital when I was 14. I had a special tutor so I graduated this year and honestly, that’s the only interesting thing about me.”


Brendon glanced up at the stars and nodded. “You like making paper stars, that’s pretty interesting to me.”

Our eyes locked and for an instant I felt something I hadn’t felt before, something powerful. He held my gaze for a second but it was torn away when his sister came back to the door.

“Brandon is out of his CAT scan.” Her voice seemed urgent almost hysterical. Brendon nodded at her and then looked back at me.

“I guess I’ll see you later then?” He sounded a bit hopeful.
I nodded and smiled to hide my disappointment. Brendon smiled back and walked to the door.

Just before leaving with his sister he glanced back at me and said, “Sweet dreams, Ness.”

Brendon

As I followed Kara down the hallway to Brandon’s room I couldn’t help but wish I was back with Vanessa.

I don’t know what it was about her that made me feel, amazing. She was so beautiful with bright blue eyes that sparkled when she smiled.

Her hair was a golden blonde and she kept it up in a messy ponytail.

As we entered the room Brandon was in I could feel Kara’s ambiance change from frazzled to vulnerable.

Growing up, Kara was never the one to break down in front of anybody. She always stood her ground and never gave up on anything that she did. I really admired her when we were in highschool, she was my support.

Now Brandon was lying in the hospital bed, his face completely drained of any color it had a couple hours ago and Kara had let her guard down.

His eyes were closed peacefully and the doctor adjusted his IV delicately as to not wake him up.


“My baby.” Kara’s voice was only a whisper, barely audible as she fell on her knees next to Brandon.

The doctor watched her rub the small but dark bruise on his forearm.
As she continued to stroke the bruise she cringed like it was her own pain. “Why is he still here? Why can’t he come home with me tonight?”


The doctor side glanced at me and then his eyes focused back on Brandon and Kara. “The results from Brandon’s blood tests were abnormal. His white blood count is very low-1.2. That number indicates an autoimmune disease.”

Kara just stared up at the young doctor in utter confusion.

He sighed and set Brandon’s clipboard in the tray at the end of his bed. “Which also suggests that he has Leukemia Syndrome.”

“Leukemia.” The word ran out of Kara’s mouth like a bitter syrup. It floated up in the air above our heads like a heavy dew and I braced myself on the door frame.

“Is he...is he going to die?” Kara’s voice was now small, hopeless like a little child.

Just hearing those words come out of her mouth pained me more than it hurt her to ask them. The look on Kara’s face made me want to take her in my arms and melt away her sorrows like she used to do for me.

“There is aggressive treatment that carries a survival prognosis of nine months to a maximum of three years.” He waited for a few minutes in silence to let that piece of information sink in.

Kara just blinked down at Brandon and a tear escaped her eye. She quickly wiped it away with the palm of her hand and she pushed herself up into standing position.

“Thank you, Doctor...” Kara glanced at his name tag, “Doctor Ryan for your help.”

She pushed past me and made her way down to the elevators at the end of the hallway.

My grip on the door handle tightened as Brandon’s eyes fluttered open. His heart monitor kept a steady beat as a yawn escaped his thin, cracked lips.

The doctor went to Brandon’s side and began to talk to him gently.

I backed out of the room and ran to catch up with Kara as she waited for the elevator.

This was just something I couldn’t fix for Kara, as bad as I wished I could
Sign up to rate and review this story