Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Melodia Who

Chapter 9: Severus vs Melodia

by MelodiaSnape 0 reviews

Severus Snape has indeed met his match

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2006-05-07 - Updated: 2006-05-07 - 3167 words

1Hot
Chapter 9: Severus vs Melodia


Melodia awakened to find Severus gone. Pouting to herself she hugged his pillow. It still smelled of him. She smiled, remembering the passion they shared just before daybreak, and how wonderfully he had treated her the night before. Little did she know that this type of behavior was completely outside of his character.

She pulled on her favorite blue robe, and made her way to the large glamour bath within her room, and began to undress for a good hot shower.

Today was the day that the other Order members would begin to arrive, and she believed that before she welcomed her new guests, she needed to "spruce up" a bit, as Shelby Vaughn used to say. Everyone had been summoned to this meeting, because time was getting short. It was imperative to have everyone's tasks finalized before Harry arrived, and she and Severus were going to give Dumbledore another dose of potion before the activities began.

Sitting in front the antique mirror combing her hair, A soft knock on her bedroom door told her that Severus was ready had arrived.

"Loddie?" he called, as he gently pushed the door open.

"Come in!" she called, still brushing her auburn hair. In the mirror she saw him walking towards her. He laid his hands on her shoulders and bent down to kiss her cheek.

"Good morning, Love," he said gently, "You slept well, I trust?" he said with a sly smile, as he kissed her earlobe once for good measure.

"Severus, behave yourself!" "We have to meet Uncle Albus," she playfully scolded.

"Indeed we do", he agreed, kissing the earlobe opposite his previous choice.

Cold chills ran the length of her arms, and she turned to scold him again. This time, he caught her mouth with his own, and kissed her lovingly.

He seemed very different now. Much more relaxed and affectionate than she ever thought he would be.

"Now, my Loddie," he announced formally, "we shall go."

As they approached Dumbledore's room, they saw he was not there, but his voice rang out along the hallway, "Ah, there you are! I thought it best if we met in the formal dining area, considering the number of people attending." He said as he busily arranged the seating area using his wand.

"Oh, Uncle, you are looking better every day!" she exclaimed as she hugged him sweetly, and kissed his cheek.

Dumbledore arranged himself at the head of the great oak dining table. It was normally large enough to accommodate ten guests, but with the help of magic, now comfortably seated twice that number.


Melodia disappeared into the kitchen to prepare a light breakfast for the three of them. When she returned, they finished eating, and Melodia gave her uncle a small dose of Medicamentum.

Afterwards she agreed to let Severus stay behind and assist Dumbledore safely to bed. Melodia began to move about the house preparing for her guests. She used magic to accomplish simultaneous tasks, but it still proved to be very time consuming.

Snape waited until she had left the room, and turned to Dumbledore. "I wonder if I may impose on you for a favor, Headmaster." He asked.

"Of course, Severus, what is it?" Dumbledore said as he rubbed his already sleepy eyes.

"It's Melodia. I wonder if you might help me dissuade her interest in becoming too involved with our mission," watching hopefully for any sign of Dumbledore's support.

"Ah, yes," he nodded, "If you believe it would be of help, I will certainly try, but I must warn you, Severus, she is very proud and very obstinate. You may find this more of an undertaking than you realize." Severus wearily nodded in agreement.

He sat beside Dumbledore's bed for a while, wondering how this would play out, and worrying about her reaction. He didn't know how this would work, but he had to try. Eventually, he decided to inventory the items that Melodia had picked up, and prepare Dumbledore's next dose of potion.



Melodia and Severus attended the meeting only briefly to explain the Unbreakable Vow, and the way he and Dumbledore worked around it.
Everyone was there except for the Weasley's. They were still preparing for Bill's upcoming wedding to Fleur, but were expected soon after the nuptials.

After business was settled, dinner was served. Melodia tried to give Dumbledore his potion, but he insisted she and Severus return for a private meeting later.

Once everyone had left, other than the houseguests, Severus and Melodia met with Dumbledore privately in the dining room. They sat on opposite sides of Dumbledore.

"Severus, I need to speak to you," said Dumbledore as he swallowed the last of his potion. "I may have only moments before I begin to feel the effects of this," he said holding the empty cup into the air, before placing it on the table in front of him.

"Of course, Headmaster," answered Snape obediently, then added, "Alone I assume?" and nodded in Melodia's direction.

"What? Oh, no, Severus! I am sure that he didn't mean for me to leave." Melodia said suddenly.

Severus looked helplessly to Dumbledore for assistance.

Understanding the expression on Snape's face, Dumbledore spoke, "I'm afraid I have to agree with Severus, Melodia. There are certain things the two of us ......." He was cut off quickly,


"No. There is nothing I should be left out of Uncle!" she cut him off abruptly. I should be kept abreast of everything." She said flatly.

Dumbledore exchanged woeful looks with Snape as she continued to plead her case.

"You have already assigned me the task of bringing Harry Potter here, and I will gladly fulfill that assignment, but surely that is not all that you intend for me to do?" After this, Severus decided to handle this comment himself.

"Melodia, retrieving Potter is a very important task, indeed, and believe me when I say that, you will have more than enough to manage with him, I assure you." Snape said matter-of-factly. "

"So that's it then? She asked sarcastically "I'm to be a nursemaid, a housekeeper and a babysitter?" Hurt and fury burned in her eyes. "That's ridiculous! I should be involved in all aspects of this mission if you expect me to help the two of you out of this mess you've managed to create!" Her expression mirrored the closest thing to outrage that either of them had ever seen on her usual sweet face.

Snape scowled angrily at her and scolded, "That's quite enough Melodia," he snarled, his face was grim and his eyes narrowed as he added, "There is no excuse for being rude!"

"Enough? Rude? You talk as if I were a meddlesome child that must simply 'run along' while the grownups deal with the important issues!

Snape's temper was quickly surfacing, and it took a great deal of his usually considerable self-control to continue this argument without shouting. He crossed his arms, and leaned closer to her, his voice dangerously soft, "Yes, Loddie, your behavior has been rude, and you are acting like a child!" he hissed. She scowled back at him wordlessly.

"You'd do well to leave this room now before any more valuable time is wasted on your school girl tantrums," his eyes were dark and still narrowed. Melodia knew that he was angry, but he had finally stooped to being insulting.

Temper flaring, she rose to her feet, and stepped up close enough to kiss him then stared into his eyes, "Shaggy I'm warning you, I've had just about enough of your...." He cut her off in mid sentence.

"Melodia, I am warning you," he hissed, "I believe you should realize that you have over-stepped your boundaries."

She stood her ground, and called his bluff, "I'll leave the room, Darling, if for no other reason than to prevent myself from scratching out your eyes!" With that, she stormed from the room allowing the door slam hard behind her as she left.

Snape looked apologetically at Dumbledore, "Forgive me, Headmaster, clearly this conversation was a mistake on my part. I had no idea she would react so violently."

Dumbledore looked as if this exchange had exhausted him physically.

"Severus, it appears that we have our hands full with that one," he said, as he motioned toward the door that she had just slammed. Severus sat on the side of the bed, and put his face in his hands.

For a moment there was silence, then Dumbledore spoke, "It is especially difficult to have words with those we love."

Severus spoke from his heart for the first time, "I thought she understood that she is mine to protect now." He removed his hands, but continued to stare blankly at the wall ahead. Momentarily forgetting his audience, he continued to think aloud, "I have to make her understand. I take no pleasure in being harsh, but I tend to lose control of myself because of how much I..." He stopped suddenly as if he had said too much.

Dumbledore replaced his spectacles and looked over them at him intently, "...love her, Severus?"

Stunned that he had given away the precious secret they shared, Snape raised his head and looked Dumbledore squarely in the eyes, "God help me, Headmaster, I truly do." Severus was surprised to see that Dumbledore appeared rather pleased at his answer.

"Then I suggest you go after her, and let her know this firsthand." Snape rose to leave the room, and as he did, Dumbledore called after him, "We will speak again later, Severus" and then, "Good luck."

Snape knew that luck was just what he needed. He strode off towards the staircase, his mind continually replaying of the scene that just took place in the dining room.

Swearing under his breath, he knew that Melodia would not be receptive to this conversation's topic, but she had no idea the danger she would be in if the Dark Lord found out that he or Dumbledore was alive, and learned of her existence. He stopped on the balcony, tightly griping the railing and closed his eyes. His mind raced in one hundred different directions. He shook his head and opened his eyes.

Over the balcony, he caught sight of her leaving the kitchen with a cup of tea in hand.

"Melodia! He called. She was startled by the sound of his voice, so much so, she nearly spilled her tea in the foyer.

"What now Severus? Did you seek me out to admonish and insult me again?"

He descended the stairs while speaking, "No. I did not. I do, however, need to speak with you."

She did not care for his tone, but realized this confrontation was inevitable. She turned to place her teacup on the foyer table then faced him. His voice was very smooth, and calm. She found it very unnerving.

"I mean to speak with you in private, please. In the study perhaps?" He silkily suggested as he held his right arm out as a gesture for her to lead the way. Rolling her eyes, she turned to pick up her teacup, but Snape already had it, still gesturing towards the study. Reluctantly, she led him inside the oak doors before closing them and turned to face him.

"What's this all about Severus? Have you not had enough of this already? I know I have." she was still very agitated from their earlier encounter.


"Melodia, we need to discuss the unfortunate argument we had in the presence of your uncle." She snorted in response to his demeanor and rolled her eyes again.

In a somewhat cheeky tone, she asked, "What exactly is there to talk about?" His eyes narrowed, and immediately she realized her mistake.

"Melodia, there is no reason for you to become defensive. I merely think that the two of us should discuss this as rationally as possible."


The look on her face told him he'd better not stop at that, and as she opened her mouth to retort, he added, "Loddie, I have something important to say to you, and you'd do well to listen to me. This time." He added silkily.

Melodia's anger was surfacing again. "Oh this again! Why would Uncle Albus keep me abreast of all that has happened, enlist my services, and include me in everything up to this point, if he did not intend to include me in everything else?"

Severus replied more calmly this time, "I have no idea what your uncle's intentions were or are, that is a question best addressed to him. I do know, however, that he does not wish to put you in or have you put yourself in mortal danger."

"Neither of you know the extent of my powers, nor what that I am capable of" She paused to search his features for a reaction. His face did not change, so she went on, "Why can't you have faith in me?" she was almost amenable with this question.

"I do have faith in you, Love. In no way, do I doubt your magical abilities. I am also fully aware that you are no longer fifteen years old, but you clearly do not understand the danger involved." His tone was less intense. Perhaps he felt he was finally getting through to her.

She was almost pleading for his understanding, "All I ask of you is to be assigned a task, other than meeting a teenage boy. Let me complete it, then you will understand my capabilities." she begged as though she were fighting for her life.

"This is not a game, Loddie." He said looking very stern. "In war, you cannot be assigned a task as a test of your abilities." He was agitated again thinking of the disastrous consequences of such a foolish act. "You cannot fight the Dark Lord, or his Death Eaters and survive, if you have no experience in dealing with them, as your uncle and I have." He pressed on the further drive this point home, "Even Potter, has more experience in dealing with them than you do."

She listened to his speech with distaste, then spat, "I am not asking to be tested, Severus. I am insisting on your support of me! Why, are you refusing to let me to help you?"

"Because I know the Dark Lord and you do not!" he snarled. "He and his Death Eaters think nothing of maiming or killing anyone that gets in the way! You cannot fight them Melodia. You belong to me now, and I will not allow it!" His usual pale, sallow face was now red with apparent fury. He continued in a lower more menacing voice, "The Dark Lord and his followers are completely merciless. I have the scars to prove it you know! Shall I show them to you?

Melodia raged back at him, "You won't allow? Belong to you? Dear God! Just who the hell do you think you are anyway? ''I will not allow you to do this or do that'" She mocked. "Don't you presume to talk down to me Professor Snape! I AM NOT ONE OF YOUR STUDENTS!"

Snape was livid now. He clinched his fists at his side. He wanted to reach out and shake her. Instead, his voice became softer as he hissed another warning.

"You know, you really should mind how you speak to me," and in the same deadly voice, "Yes, Darling. I am a Professor. As such, I do react this way when dealing with a stubborn, spoiled child." He knew at once he hit the mark with this cheek. His lip curled in triumph, as he stepped forward to seize her forearms.

His actions frightened her, and she prayed he did not detect how badly she was trembling. She looked into his eyes, trying not to show the fear that consumed her.

"You're hurting me, Severus." She managed in the most stable voice she could muster.

"Why do you insist on fighting with me?" he demanded. "I am trying to protect you!"

Her arms were smarting from his angry grip, "I don't' need your protection, Professor! Neither yours, nor anyone else's! She struggled wildly trying to break away from him.

Melodia realized struggling against him was useless, "I do not wish to talk about this any longer Shaggy! Leave me alone ...or..."

Cuttingly he patronized with silken quality, "Or what little girl? You will hex me into oblivion I suppose? And how would you manage that without a wand?"


Looking at her triumphantly, he released his grip on her arms. She rubbed them in spite of herself, and glared into his sarcastic face, "If I really wanted to hex you..... Professor Snape, I would not need a wand to do it!"

"Now get out of my way!" she spat again, as she quickly stepped around him and stormed out of the study and into the foyer.

Stunned by her words, he glared after her in silence. He recovered himself in time to catch her at the bottom of stairway. He seized her arm and spun her around to face him. Unfortunately for Snape, her other arm swung around like a whip and she slapped him across the face.

"I told you to leave me alone, Severus!" She turned quickly toward the first step, and proceeded to climb them one by one as fast has she could, but to no avail. He caught her by the arms again then he did shake her, but not nearly as roughly as he would have liked.


"You foolish girl! How dare you strike me!" His normally calm demeanor had changed drastically. "It appears, little girl, that you have demonstrated the need for someone to take you in hand."

Melodia guffawed at this, "Take your hands off me! And just what do you mean by 'take me in hand' Professor?" She hoped he couldn't tell how violently she was trembling.

"I mean, dear Loddie, that I am beginning to think that a bit of good old fashioned discipline might benefit you immensely!" He snarled. His face told her that he was deadly serious, and as frightened as she was, she would never let him know it! Detecting a trace of this in her eyes, he felt slightly guilty and loosened his grip on her arms.

"Oh really! she retorted, "and I suppose you think YOU are the proper person?"

A cold smirk crossed his face, "I might be, young lady. "Care to try me?" he sneered again and he drew her closer to him.

"I'll try you," she hissed slowly, and raised her hand to slap him again. This time he caught her hand in mid swing.

"That's enough!" He growled, "I will force you to listen to me, if it is the last thing I ever accomplish!" He scooped her up quickly and draped her over his left shoulder. She shrieked with rage and humiliation as he carried her out of the house, across the massive grounds, and into the stables.
Sign up to rate and review this story