Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Window to the Soul

The Sorting

by Magical_Me 2 reviews

Harry tries on the Sorting Hat... with unexpected results...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Humor - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-05-24 - Updated: 2006-05-24 - 2220 words

1Original
Disclaimer - I don't own anything that you read here except maybe the plot and a few OC's that will be coming up in future chapters. Anything you recognise is quite clearly not mine.

Chapter Three - The Sorting

Can I see another's woe,
And not be in sorrow too?
Can I see another's grief
And not seek for kind relief?

On Another's Sorrow - William Blake (Songs of Innocence)

Soon it is time for the current students of Hogwarts to return to the prestigious school of witchcraft and wizardry, and of course for them to meet Harry Potter. Soon Dumbledore may realise just how hard it will be to gain Harry's support and how it will be even more difficult to manipulate this young Parselmouth. However, as we will soon see, Dumbledore is not one to give up easily.

*

Harry followed Remus and Sirius to the Great Hall on the night of September first. He was unsure of what he was supposed to do, was he supposed to sit with the teachers or mingle in with the students? What House was he supposed to be in? Slytherin or Gryffindor? When was he supposed to be sorted? All of these questions and mmore were running through his head, including, when can we eat, I'm starving? When he walked into the Great Hall, Dumbledore quickly walked over to Harry and smiled.

"You will wait for the sorting in the side room, then Professor McGonagall will fetch you once the first years have been sorted, then you will be sorted." Dumbledore said. Inside he knew that Harry needed to be in Gryffindor if he was going to live up to what Dumbledore needed him to live up to. The only problem that he could see with this plan was the fact that Harry quite clearly played to his Slytherin side more, this would prove to be difficult in the eyes of the public.

Harry meanwhile was staring at the ceiling in wonderment. Living in forests he was used to sleeping under the night sky, but when he had stayed in Johnno's house the ceiling was well... a ceiling. It certainly wasn't the night sky anyway.

"It is charmed to look like the sky outside." Harry jumped and turned to look at Remus, who was also looking at the ceiling/sky. Harry nodded to acknowledge him and then turned to follow Dumbledore through the door behind the teachers table. Before the door closed he turned and smiled briefly at Sirius and Remus.

"Right, well as I said, Professor McGonagall will come and fetch you in about half an hour, so in the mean time you can stay in here and keep yourself occupied." He said and then he left Harry alone in the room full of whispering portraits all pointing at him.

*

Ron Weasley walked (Well, strutted) into the Great Hall and sat down at the Gryffindor table with his friends, Dean and Seamus.

"I can't believe what Malfoy did, that git. I mean what gives him the right?" Seamus said as he sat down opposite Ron at the table.

"I know! Just because his daddy-dearest is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's head Death Eater. God! It's about time someone taught him a lesson!" Ron replied, a feral grin flashing across his face.

"Hey! You could ask Fred and George about some pranks! They were the best pranksters that Hogwarts has ever seen." Dean said, excited about the possibilities that they had of pranking Malfoy.

"Ye-"

"Actually, my dad says that the greatest pranksters that Hogwarts has ever seen were called the Marauders. He was in his first year when they were in their sixth so he didn't know them personally, but everyone knew who they were." A young girl in her third year said, over hearing their conversation. Ron sneered at her and then turned back to face his friends.

"The Marauder's were a myth. They didn't really exist. Fred and George are the-" But whatever Fred and George were, wasn't cleared up as at the moment Professor McGonagall walked in with about forty small first years following behind her nervously. She led them all up to a rickety three legged stool with a tatty old hat sitting on top and pulled out a long piece of parchment.

"When I call your names you will come forward and place the Hat on you head and let it sort you.
AMBROSE, AMY!"

A small girl with long brown hair walked forward and placed the hat on her head. A few minutes later the Hat had decided and GRYFFINDOR! Was yelled out for the school to hear.

Finally, almost an hour later the sorting had finished with Velcroix, James (SLYTHERIN) running over to join his future friends, Dumbledore stood and smiled.

"Right well normally I would let you all eat, but there is another student to be sorted...

*

Harry sat down in a chair by the door he had just entered the room by and let Persephone out of his robes so that he could talk to her.

SS I'm bored Perse. What do you think the sorting will entail? Hopefully they won't need me to talk, 'coz I think they might encounter some difficulties in understanding me, as I don't think there is anyone else at this school that can speak Parseltongue. In all honesty I don't want to be sorted Perse. I want to go back to the forest and be able to live my own life again. If I am sorted hen it will be permanent and it will be like I have given up and let them win. Persephone, I just want to go home. This is not my home. SS

SS I know young one, but you cannot do anything about it now. They will just bring you back here every time that you run, you will just have to go along with everything that they say. Maybe you will find something out about the war. SS

SS I've just thought. I was supposed to report back home tomorrow. My family is soon going to know that something has happened to me. They will soon find out where I am and when they arrive they aren't going to be happy. SS

SS I realise young one that that is all very true but I think you have forgotten a more important matter. You do not seem to have realised that tomorrow is the full moon. What are you going to so about the Werewolf? He suspects you, you know. SS

SS Oh crap! You're right! What am I going to do? You know what happens to me on a full moon! How will I be able to hide it? SS

SS I suggest that you tell the Dog-Man. Ask him not to tell the Werewolf, or at least not Dumbledore. Then he can watch over you when it happens, you know you are of no danger to those whom you can trust. I believe that those tow are just that, and that they are the most trustful you will ever meet. Beware of the students however. Most of the Gryffindors will be under Dumbledore's wing and more than half of the Slytherins will be under Voldemort's. You will need allies in this war. The Werewolf and the Dog-Man will protect you with their lives. SS

SS So are you saying that I should tell Sirius and Remus? Fine, tonight after the feast I will go to them and talk to them, well write to them. Is that alright? SS

SS Yes, that is an excellent plan. Talk to them tonight. You also know what you will have to do to protect them. I know it drains you but it really is the best idea. your family will arrive within the month. SS

SS Ok then, come on let's go, they've finished. I need to be sorted. SS with that said Harry followed Professor McGonagall (who had just knocked on the door) into the Great Hall and walked over to the stool in front of the teachers table as Dumbledore finished announcing him.

"...to be sorted, Harry Potter. He will be entering his seventh year and I want you all to welcome him into whichever house he may be sorted into, no matter his er... abilities." He said and then he motioned for Harry to put the Hat on. Harry nodded and sat down on the stool, placing the hat on his head and ignoring to whispers that where running through the hall like wild fire.

"Ah! An heir has arrived! About time to. But what's this? Slytherin and Gryffindor? Well no one would have expected that. How am I to sort you? Ah! I know! APPRENTICESHIP!" The hat yelled. Suddenly the whole hall erupted into murmurs. Harry took of the hat and then turned to look at a frowning Dumbledore with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, that is interesting. If Mr Potter would just tell us who he would like to be placed under, then we can eat." Dumbledore said, the twinkle in his eyes reappearing. If Harry could speak English, then he will have to now, and if not then Dumbledore himself will have to choose who to place him under, this was an ingenious plan of his, even if he did say so himself.

Harry on the other hand was in a bind panic. He knew Dumbledore's plan and therefore was desperate to try and speak. Sensing her bondeds distress Persephone moved discreetly to his shoulder and hissed quietly into his ear.

SS Young one, I believe you may be able to try and say the Dog-Man's name. if not they will get the hint, do not fear young one. I will not let any harm befall you. SS

Harry nodded and then hardened his glare and faced Dumbledore.

"Sssir-Sssir-Sssiriusss." He hissed. All of the students gasped at him and then Dumbledore nodded, the twinkle again no longer there in his eyes. Harry glared at him one last time and then walked over to the end of the teachers table and sat down next to Remus.

"Right... Well... That was interesting. Well there are a few start of term notices but for now, let us eat." Dumbledore said and then clapped his hands and the food appeared on the tables.

Remus turned to Harry soon after and looked at his empty plate and frowned. "Are you not hungry?" he asked him. Harry shook his head and then blushed as his stomach growled in disagreement. "Is there nothing here that you fancy?" again Harry shook his head, however he frowned soon after and hissed something to the snake that was invisible to everyone else.

"What's up apprentice? God, thank you so much for saying my name. I realise I am the only one you probably know here, but I feel like you are giving me a chance. So wanna write what's up?" he asked, conjuring a muggle notebook and pen and passing it to Harry.

The food smells wrong. Do not eat the food.

"What? How do you mean?"

I don't know. It just smells wrong. All of the food is sweet-smelling and Persephone says that she can sense something in the food. Please, do not eat anything tonight.

"Well okay then. We can have something in our quarters. So then, are you okay, besides the food?"

Yes thank you. I need to tell you both something tonight, I need your help with something

"Are you alright? What's wrong? What's happened?"

Nothing! It's not important really, I just need your advice

Sirius sighed and visibly relaxed, and then he nodded and turned when he was asked something by the Professor next to him. soon everyone had finished eating and all of the food dissolved off of the plates, and Dumbledore stood up again to make the start of term announcements.

"First I would like to introduce Professor Black, who will be teaching DADA this year and his assistant Professor Lupin. I would also like to re-introduce Professor Hagrid who will be returning this year to teach Care of Magical Creatures. I would like to remind everyone that the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds and that the list of banned items has again increased and if anyone wishes to see it, they will find it on Filch's door and the wall next to it. Now if the prefects would please take the first years to their house and I will wish you all a good night." He finished and then everyone in the hall stood up and started to leave.

Once Sirius, Remus and Harry were back in their own living room they all sat down and Sirius conjured some snacks for them to eat.

"Well Harry. What is it that you want advice for?" Remus asked, whilst Sirius handed them both a small plate of food.

It is about something that happened when I was seven, sixth months after I ran away from home. However before I tell you that, I will need to tell you what happened on the night I ran away. That night was a full moon...

A/N - Well, I can say now that Harry is not a Werewolf, so what is he? Something is up with our hero. Anyway, please review and tell me your ideas and opinions. Thank you!
Sign up to rate and review this story