Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Window to the Soul

Homework

by Magical_Me 1 review

it's the night before the full moon... and dumbledore decides to visit.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Humor - Characters: Harry, Lupin, Sirius - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-05-24 - Updated: 2006-05-24 - 3607 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer - This gets really boring after well... the first one, but you all know the drill. I don't own anything to do with Harry Potter. Bah Humbug.

SS Parseltongue SS
thoughts/inner-voice/conscience

Chapter five - Homework

Nor in my dreams I take delight
Nor sit in learnings bower,
Worn through with dreary shower.

The Schoolboy - William Blake (Songs of Innocence)

It is now nearly sunset, between the three of them they have worked out a way in which they can make sure that Dumbledore will never find out whatever the hell Harry is. So now we will be watching the transformation of Harry and for the first time in his life, Remus will watch a transformation without going through one himself. It's safe to say that at least two of the small group were quite excited. The last member maybe not so.

*
Harry paced around the room nervously. He really didn't want to hurt anyone, especially in his er... state. He knew that Remus wouldn't be affected in the same way that Sirius would be, but it could be worse, his virus was clearly different to the one that infected Remus' blood and so the two viruses could reject each other, then god knows what would happen. He was almost definitely sure that Remus wouldn't be cured.

Sensing her bondeds distress, Persephone slithered across the floor to of his room and nudged his foot. Harry looked down at her and raised an eyebrow.

SS Do you not trust my judgement? I have told you that they will be fine, the wolf will accept them. Especially Remus, can you not feel him? He is responding to Remus already! I can sense him. He can sense the alpha male of the pack. You will be fine. SS

SS Yes I can sense him. I suppose you are right, in any case, it si too late now, I can feel the changes beginning to happen. SS and with that Harry fell to the floor writhing in pain and yelling out. Sirius and Remus both ran into the room as soon as they heard the first yell, thinking something was wrong and then tried to calm him down and ease the pain. Sadly even Remus had no idea how to do this. Neither of them realised that he went through any pain, and in Remus' eyes, this looked even more painful than his own transformations.

Once he had completely changed, in Harry's place was now a young white wolf, with, strangely enough, bright blue eyes. The wolf shrank against the floor, with his ears flat against his head, he growled at Sirius, though didn't seem to have noticed Remus yet. The wolf bit at its hind legs, making it whimper and yelp, but it didn't stop. Sirius looked at Remus, who shrugged and so Sirius changed into a large grim like dog and slowly walked over to the wolf, he nudged it and the wolf bit out at him, snarling, however if you looked at his eyes you could almost see an internal battle was going on, and it looked like the wolf was winning.

Remus watched as his best friend and his deceased best friends son fought each other, he had to do something, but he had no idea what he could do. He wasn't an animagus and he couldn't change into a Werewolf. The only thing he could do was try to stop them.

Do it! I am ashamed of you! What kind of wolf are you? Remus looked up, he knew that the nearer to the full moon it got, the nearer the wolf inside his mind and the clearer his thoughts became to him, but never had it out right spoken to him. you can feel it, I know you can it was right. He cold feel something, a pull or something like that towards Harry. He knew deep down that he would be the only one to help him HELP OUR PACK MEMBER!! Remus winced at the yell inside his mind, and then walked over to Harry, whilst also wondering whether he should get some professional help, he was pretty sure that it wasn't sane, Werewolf or not, to hear voices in your mind.

Remus walked over to Harry, only to be stopped by Sirius. He looked down at the limping balck dog and smiled.

"It's okay Sirius. He will listen to me, I know it." He said, then gently moved Sirius out of the way. Sirius changed back into his human form and looked at Remus and Harry in astonishment

As Remus knelt down beside a whimpering Harry, he placed his hand on his head and the wolf looked into his eyes. The wolf cowered and pressed his body against the floor, and then looked back up at Remus and then to Sirius. Both of the latter were shocked to see that the wolf's eyes were now a shocking green colour. This was Harry. He had won the internal battle.

"H... How...? How did you know?" Sirius stammered, walking forward again.

"Moony told me." Remus answered simply and then sat down on the floor next to Harry, exhausted. "I think we have discovered that it would be best if I- what was that?" Remus asked, standing back up.

"I didn't hear anything." Sirius said, looking at Remus weirdly. He looked down at Harry when he noticed that he was cowering against the floor and pressing his body as far into a corner of the room as possible. Sirius frowned in confusion and then looked behind him. he walked over to the door of the room and then walked through the living room to the portrait entrance. When he opened it he saw Dumbledore standing there.

"Ah, Professor Black. I heard strange noises coming from your quarters and came to see if everything was okay. May I come in?" he said, pushing his way into the room. Sirius frowned again and then closed the entrance behind him.

"I'll just get you a drink then shall i? what would you like?" Sirius asked sarcastically. He was slowly loosing all respect he ever had for this manipulative old man. The more he was around Harry the worse he got. Sirius knew that Remus felt the same. Remus! He was still with a spooked Harry. "I'll just tell Remus you are here. He was checking on Harry, see he wasn't feeling hundred percent." He said and then quickly walked into Harry's room and closed the door behind him. he put up a silencing charm on the room and then walked over to Harry and Remus.

"What's wrong? Harry has started to growl."

"Dumbledore. We need to keep him out of here. If we can just somehow make it look like Harry is asleep in his bed and then you can come out and we can see what Dumbledore really wants.

"Okay, well we just have to put and illusion charm on Harry's bed and hope that Dumbledore doesn't actually look in this corner." Remus said, saying an incantation and pointing his wand at Harry's bed. Suddenly it looked like Harry was fast asleep in his bed. Sirius smiled at it and then bent down next to Harry.

"Harry, I think you already know that Professor Dumbledore is here, so Remus and I are going into the living room to talk to him." Harry growled harder at that and then jumped up and guarded the door from Sirius and Remus.

"Harry, we have to go and talk to Dumbledore or he will get suspicious. We will be fine though. and we won't tell him about you, so don't worry." Remus said, Harry lowered his head to him and moved away from the door, but before Sirius and Remus could leave, Harry nudged his trunk and sat by it.

"Er... I think he wants us to open the sixth compartment. What did he say was in there again?" Remus asked, warily eying the trunk.

"Wasn't it all a selection of magical creatures?"

"Thought so. Well we should just open it for hi, but not go in unless he indicates for us to." Remus said, then he grabbed the keys from Harry's desk and placed one in the sixth lock, hoping that it was the right one. Obviously his lucky stars were with him when the lock clicked and he opened the trunk. Then he stepped back and looked at Harry. The wolf tilted his head to the side and then looked under his bed. Persephone then slithered out and went into the trunk. A few minutes later she reappeared with a large black snake with blood red eyes. The snake followed Persephone over to Harry, who, it seemed, looked at Remus and then back at the snake. Obviously the snake understood what Harry wanted as it turned and then followed Persephone over to Remus. Remus looked at Harry nervously, wondering what the hell he wanted.
Trust him. he want's the snake to go with you. Pick it up and place it over your shoulders. It will protect you until Harry tells it that it can go back to the trunk. All of the snakes want to help Harry, and helping you and is helping Harry. You will be safe. Remus nodded mentally and then bent down to pick the snake up.

"Moony, what in gods name are you doing?"

"Harry wants us to take the snake with us. It will protect us." Remus said, draping the snake gently over his shoulders. "Right lets go see what Dumbledore wants." And with that they both walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

"Ah, is he okay? Er... Remus, is that a snake around your shoulders?"

"Yes, Harry was teaching me how to look after them. This is a er... black mamba, I think. It hasn't got any magical powers but it is one of the most dangerous muggle snakes."

"Oh. Right well. While I am here, there is something I wish to ask the both of you." Dumbledore said. Sirius and Remus looked at each other and then took a seat opposite Dumbledore on the couch.

"What would you like to ask?"

"Well... it's about Harry. I have been told some very distressing news from one of the students. Harry seems to be very anti-social. He threatened one at breakfast today, in parseltongue and his snake went for another. I don't think he is safe around the other students."

"Well why don't you let him go home then. Why are you caging him up? He doesn't belong here, that is obvious, and I personally don't want to be around when his family actually arrive here. They sound like they are protective." Sirius said, glaring at the headmaster. Neither of them could believe what they were hearing.

"Now you both know that we can't let him go back. We need him in this war. He is the only one that can defeat Voldemort." Dumbledore hissed, glancing at the door to Harry's room.

"Well if that is how you fell then I am afraid that we will back Harry in whatever he does, and I am afraid, that if that means he will find a way of leaving here, then you will have to find yourself a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." Sirius said, and then he stood up and left the room, slamming the door to his own room shut.

"I think that your manipulations of everyone have gone a bit too far don't you sir? Now if you would like to leave us. Oh and sir! About Harry being anti-social. He hadn't been around normal people since he was six. He has had to fend for himself and survive in some of Britain's most infamous forests, infamous in muggle and wizarding culture alike. Of course he is going to be guarded. And a word of warning, Harry is protected by more than me and Sirius. He has a very dangerous bonded and his family sounds extremely protective and not in the least human." Remus said, his eyes flashing with his anger. Dumbledore stared at him in shock as he could've swore that he saw something, almost... animalistic about his eyes.

"Remus... are you okay? Have you been taking your Wolfbane?"

"I have. The wolf inside me has taken in Harry as his own cub. Do not cross him, for I don't know if I will be able to stop him from harming you. In fact I don't know if I will want to stop him." and with that parting speech Remus lead Dumbledore to the exit and closed the portrait seal behind him. He then turned around and went back to Harry's room.

*
The next day Sirius, Remus and Harry all awoke, wishing they could just go back to sleep. Remus and Harry both felt like a herd of hippogriffs had ran over them, and Harry also had several gashes and bite marks on his arms. When he woke up, he saw both Remus and Sirius sleeping in chairs in his room. He smiled and then went to wake them both up, taking Silas from around Remus' shoulders first.

SS Thank you my friend. I am now indebted to you. If you need anything or if you wish for me to release you back into another forest, then please ask. SS

SS It was a pleasure young snake-child. I like the wolf man; he is very trustworthy, though I sense something in him. the wolf side of him, it sees you as his cub. I will willingly guard over him if he would like. I feel a bond with him. SS

SS How will you communicate? However I have no problem translating for you both if you wish to bond, though it would have to be his choice. I will ask him, just a second. SS

Harry then walked back over to where Remus and Sirius were now stirring awake. They had both stood up and were now stretching. Harry walked over to Remus with Silas wrapped around his wrist.

Er... Remus. I have something to ask. he passed the note to Remus.

"Yes? Is there something wrong?" Remus asked, suddenly wide awake and his face etched with concern.

Nothing is wrong, but I think it would be best if we all go into the living room to sit down. Sirius I have something to ask you as well, but I will after I have spoken to Remus. he wrote, passing the note to Remus, who then passed the note to Sirius.

"Er... okay." Sirius said, confused as to what his godson would want. They both followed Harry into the living room and all sat down on separate chairs. Harry then carefully placed the large black snake that had stayed with Remus last night on the table and Remus and Sirius shared a glance.

It is about Silas. This is Silas. He wrote, indicating to the snake.

"What is wrong? Did I hurt it last night?"

No, but he wanted to ask something, and obviously, I would be the only way in which he could communicate with you.

"What?"

He wants to bond with you.

"What? Is that possible? I mean I didn't think werewolves could bond with other magical creatures, never mind non magical." Sirius said, looking puzzled.

Silas is magical.

"I have to agree with Sirius though. I didn't think that werewolves could bond with other creatures except wolves."

You can, but the other creature has to feel the bond first. Anyway, you never asked what type of snake he was. Harry passed the note over with a grin.

"What type is he?"

He is a Southern Midnight Wolf Snake. They are very dangerous and can kill anyone who threatens there bonded or whoever they feel they need to protect. It is also very hard to kill.

"Ah. And... and it wants to bond wi... with me?" Remus said faintly.

Yes.

"Oh right. Well how will I communicate with him when you aren't around?" Remus asked. Harry shrugged and then turned to the snake and started to hiss to him. the snake hissed back and Harry wrote down the answer.

He says, that when you bond you will have the ability to speak parseltongue. However this will only happen if the snake wishes you to understand him through the bond. I don't think you will be able to understand me or any other snake.

"Ah. Well, growing up a werewolf I was always told that I would never find my bonded. I would therefore be honoured to be bonded with this snake." Remus said, grinning. Harry smiled back and hissed at the snake.

He wishes for you to place your wand on the table in front of him and then prick you finger. Once you do that, squeeze a small drop of blood onto his forehead. He will then put a drop of venom into your wand. This will complete the bonding process.

Remus read the note and then did as was asked. Once his blood dripped onto the snakes head, both Remus and Silas shone a bright red colour. Silas then hissed and dripped venom onto Remus' wand. The light around Remus and Silas then flashed pure white and disappeared.

you should be able to speak to Silas now. If you want to get to know each other that is fine. I need to talk to Sirius now though. Harry passed the note to Remus, who then read it, nodded and left the room, taking his newly bonded with him. Harry then turned to face Sirius and wrote down his request.

Sirius, I have no qualifications in Ancient Runes or Arithmancy. Would like to take these subjects. I know enough to join the NEWT class because I was being taught these subjects when got caught. Do you think I can go to these lessons?

"Sure, I know the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors have both of these subjects this morning. So, why don't you go down to breakfast with us and then by tonight I will have a timetable ready for you. I will ask Professors Vector and McQuillan at the table this morning, so they will be expecting you. You have the books right?" Harry nodded and then stood up and quickly went to his room. He came back a few minutes later with two books in his hand. Sirius could tell that they were both written in parseltongue. He sniggered and then stood up to leave with Harry. He shouted to Remus to tell him that they were going to breakfast and then left the room.

*
Harry's lessons in Ancient Runes and Arithmancy were going well, though the teachers had been having trouble with his homework. It wasn't that he wasn't doing it, or that it was handed in late, oh no, it was always handed in on time. The only problem was, it was always written in parseltongue.

Besides his homework, Harry was enjoying his lessons and had made a friend. Hermione Granger was a Ravenclaw and despised Ronald Weasley. In lessons they were both ahead and so spent the lesson swapping notes. Which was f course the only way they could communicate anyway. Harry had also taken to eating lunch at the Ravenclaw table and was teaching Hermione and her friend Padma Patil how to read parseltongue. However, he had no idea if it would work. Though both could now sort of write their names and had taken to signing all of their work in parseltongue (which irritated both McQuillan and Vector as it seemed that Harry was starting a trend).

In return for him teaching Hermione and Padma to write and read Parseltongue, they were teaching him how to speak English. It wasn't quite working though. on the Thursday of the first week they had a breakthrough in their communication problems however. They discovered that Harry was fluent in French and German. This was good news as both Hermione and Padma could speak almost perfect French. They had found out a way to talk without paper and had also discovered that besides maybe Draco Malfoy and or course Padma's twin sister Parvati; no one else could speak French or German.

However the problem with the homework continued until Friday, when Persephone decided to scold him and tell him to do his homework correctly.

SS Harry! You should write out your homework in English! You know how upset Malcuchio got when you returned all of your homework to him in parseltongue. He almost refused to teach you. Harry you are n adult now and if you want people here to treat you like one, you are going to have to act like one. SS Needless to say, Harry did all of his homework in English soon after.

*

We now leave Harry at the end of his first week of school. He has managed to make friends with two Ravenclaws, which is good news for all of them. However will they be able to see past the perfect image of Dumbledore that everyone has painted or will they betray Harry to those he hates the most.

A/N - well that is another chapter finished, and it has the arrival of Hermione, which quite alot of people have asked about. To be honest this isn't my favourite chapter in this story I think I could have done better, but maybe I will come back to it and rewrite it when I have finished the story. The next chapter is what quite a few of you have been waiting for... the arrival of Harry's adoptive family.
Sign up to rate and review this story