Categories > Original > Romance > Luna

Chapter 2

by PU77 0 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-05-14 - Updated: 2011-05-15 - 2238 words

0Unrated
"Did you honestly think, for one second, that I would go out with someone like you?"

Luna looked down at me with her bright violet eyes and sneered mockingly.

"Don't make me laugh, Ryo. You're just a no-one and you will always be a no-one. Just looking at you makes me feel disgusted."

I opened my mouth in disbelief and tried to say something but nothing came out. I couldn't believe what was happening. Luna was the school idol, the cute girl that everybody adored… and yet here she was, waiving away my feelings for her like an unwanted pest. I felt a tear run down my face and I looked away embarrassed.

"I really liked you…"

Luna laughed and gave me a scornful look.

"Ryo, don't be delusional. There's absolutely no way I would even consider going out with someone like you." She walked up close to me and I felt my heart jump a beat. Luna was just so beautiful, she could easily become a model if she wanted to. She stared into my eyes with a look of contempt and I felt my heart dropped as her pink lips slowly mouthed the words. "I despise people like you."

I woke up in puddle of my own sweat and panted unevenly. The details of the dream were still vividly alive in my mind and I winced as the memory came flooding back to me. I had always thought the pain of love was just a myth, a melodramatic appeal for romance flicks. But I knew this pain was real. My heart hurt so much. It was as though someone had ripped a hole in my chest and left it empty.

I got out of bed and saw my phone flashing. Apparently I had missed a call from my best friend, Eiji. He probably wanted to know how my confession-

Suddenly I was jolted with the memory of yesterday's incident, and I unconsciously raised a finger to my lips… Luna had kissed me. I still couldn't quite believe it. She liked me too. I had imagined that if I asked her out, the most likely scenario was her politely refusing and instead offering to be friends. I could still remember the feeling when her soft lips pressed onto mine. It was a dream come true. But I still didn't understand why she liked me. Could it all just be a cruel joke? I grimaced at the thought. I would ask her about it after the weekends. I had no other way of contacting her other than at school.

I was brushing my teeth when I heard a knock at the door. I looked at the clock, it was still pretty early in the morning. Who could be knocking at this time? Could it be Eiji? I grinned sheepishly at the thought. He was going to drop his jaw when he hears about me and Luna. The bastard had no confidence in me. When I had told him that I would be confessing to Luna, he slapped my back and laughed. Now I would be the one doing the laughing.

I opened the door and choked on toothpaste. Standing outside the door was Luna. She was dressed in a long white shirt that fell below her waist and a pink skirt. She held a cute looking purse in her hands and her hair was tied up so that long streaks fell on the side. I was still in my boxers, held a toothbrush in my mouth and my hair poked out messily.

She had a surprised look on her face when she saw me and quickly turned her head away, her face turning red.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realise you were still.." She raised a hand to her lips and her face turned more red.

I froze in my place. Luna was the last person I'd expect to knock on my door. What was she doing here? And she was so cute in her casual clothes. I've only ever seen her in the school uniform. Not that she didn't look cute in that either. I moved away from the door.

"Please come in." I blurted out. I didn't know what else to say, or even if there was anything else to say. I couldn't talk to her while looking like this. At the very least, I needed to change.

She kept her head towards the ground and nodded as she walked in shyly. A pleasant fragrance instantaneously filled the room and I stood there with my eyes closed for a second or so breathing in the aroma till I realised what I was doing. Why the hell was I sniffing her scent? I shook my head in an effort to stay awake as I closed the door.

"Just wait there for a second." I said pointing to a small kotatsu table with two seating cushions around it. She sat down obligingly and I bolted into the bathroom. I couldn't make her wait. If she came here then she most likely had something important to talk about. I spat out the toothpaste and rinsed my mouth hurriedly. Luna was the first girl to visit my apartment apart from my mom who lived in Okinawa with my dad. My parents had sent me to Tokyo to get into a good university but I spent most of my time dreaming in class. I didn't have any plans for the future and was, what people called, drifting through life.

I pulled on a pair of jeans and slipped into my best shirt. I looked in the mirror. Something needed to be done about the hair. Grabbing a comb and a handful of gel, I began a frenzied assault on my hair. When the ordeal was over I sprayed on some deodorant. There. Now I was presentable, fresh and smelled somewhat acceptable. I placed a hand on the doorknob. My heart raced at the thought of talking to Luna. No good, I needed to calm down. I took a deep breath and stepped out.

Luna was lying down in the warmth of the kotatsu table her small, delicate hands flicking through a stash of magazines. I moved closer and felt my heart drop. They were my ero magazines. I could see the slight outline of a naked girl on the page she was staring intently at. I contemplated going back into the bathroom and waiting for a few more minutes but in the end I chose to sit down.

Luna jumped, closed the magazine and hastily sit upright with a look of embarrassment on her face. There was a moment of silence as I sat scratching my head and looking out at the window.

"So…" I started. "What brings you here?"

Luna shifted uncomfortably and looked up at me, her face blushing red. "A-a date…"

"Huh?" Did she just say date? I didn't believe it. She probably meant the fruit or the date on the calendar. I looked at her and apologised. "Sorry I didn't catch that."

"A date!" She blurted out embarrassingly. "I want to go on a date with Ryo... you know... since we're going out..."

I stared dumbfounded at Luna. So it's true that she liked me? I was completely stumped. What was I suppose to say in a situation like this? I've never went out with a girl before and the first kiss I had was just yesterday. Today was going to be my first date! Everything was happening so fast. What had I done to deserve such a blessing?

"S-sure." I answered. I waited for her to say more but she sat silently, twirling her hair nervously. I guessed I was suppose to take her out somewhere. But I didn't know any place. If I had known she was coming over today, I would had spent the whole night organising it. What did Luna like? I knew practically nothing about her. I was worried now. What if this was a test? And if I failed, I would be dumped. I got up quickly, opened the door and coughed. "I know a place."

She brightened up and beamed cheerfully.

And that was how we ended up at a park across my flat. Luna was following me enthusiastically while I pretended to have a clue what I was doing. Damn it. What was I doing here? I couldn't even muster the courage to hold her hand. I looked around me, hoping for a ray of inspiration. There was a bunch of kids playing at the park, a few people walking their dogs and a group of university students. We took a seat at a bench and watched the scenery.

Luna seemed content but I was in a complete mess. If only I had money! My parents were living in Okinawa and only sent me monthly allowances to keep me alive. They had told me to get a job and study hard but I spent most of time and money at the arcades with Eiji. I can't believe my first date with Luna would be at a park! We sat there in complete silence watching the children playing soccer until Luna finally broke the silence.

"Um…" Luna was looking down, tapping her fingers together nervously. It seemed her face was always in a permanent blush when around me. "W-what do you like to eat, Ryo? I'll come again tomorrow."

I felt blood rising to my ears. Was Luna going to make a bento just for me? I was overwhelmed with joy. That makes two of the happiest day in my life in a role. I was opening my mouth to answer when the group of university students surrounded us.

"That's a cute girlfriend you have there." One of the males sneered. And the rest laughed. There were six of them, all in their twenties. The one who sneered had short spiky hair and held a cigarette to his mouth. They spelt bad news.

I looked up at them in dismay as the leader blew smoke into our faces. It wasn't a cigarette. He was smoking marijuana. They were on drugs. I couldn't believe this was actually happening. Were they going to rob us? I had no money on me.

"Leave us alone." I stuttered at the lack of a better phrase to use. I had to protect Luna. Maybe if I grabbed her and ran… no, there was too many of them. But I couldn't take them all on. I had only been in one or two fights in my entire life and all they involved was a few seconds of shoving and name calling before a teacher interfered. Shit. Why were we so unlucky? I needed to make sure Luna would get out safely.

"Trying to act like a tough guy, huh?" The leader whistled. He took a step closer and leaned in towards me. I could smell the marijuana in his breath. "If you leave right now, we will take your girl and leave you alone. If you don't..."

He looked at me with a dark expression on his face. "We will smash your fucking face open."

My eyes widened and I looked at him terrified. He was serious. I could feel my legs starting to shake. What kind of boyfriend was I? I couldn't even protect Luna. I wanted to get up and leave but I didn't. I had to stay with Luna no matter what. I had made up my mind when I confessed to her.

"Hey, Kaiji. Just knock the kid out and let's grab the girl, man. I can't wait till my dick penetrates that pretty face of hers." A taller male at the back said licking his lips. The others nodded in agreement.

I looked around desperately, but everyone else was leaving at the sign of danger. I can't believe it. Even the parents were just taking their kids away and leaving. Isn't anyone going to help? A sweat ran down my forehead and I gripped my palms together.

"So that's how it's going down kiddo." The man called Kaiji said. "Don't worry though, we will give her back to you when we're done."

I could hear the others laughing then he placed a hand on my shoulder. Everything spun into action. Luna stood up, moved towards him and Kaiji was on the ground with his arm bent the other way. I saw Kaiji's face contorting in pain, he screamed and the other five lunged for Luna.

She ducked under their grasp and pulled one onto the ground. She raised her hand and plunged it into the man's throat. A fountain of blood gushed out. The remaining four watched in disbelief as Luna stood back up nonchalantly. She turned towards them covered in blood. I saw a brief flash in her left hand. She had a knife.

Kaiji screamed he was frozen on the ground. His legs shook uncontrollably and a wet stain spread across the front of his trousers. The other four fled for their lives.

Luna walked slowly towards Kaiji and knelt down in front of him. Her eyes were eerily hollow and blood dripped down the sides of her face.

"Don't ever touch Ryo again." She whispered. She raised the knife and I ran up.

"Stop!" I threw myself towards Luna and managed to roll us away from Kaiji. She dropped her knife. Kaiji got up and sprinted from the park.
Sign up to rate and review this story