Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Absent Heart

The Chapter in which Spencer Hates Life

by soccerbunny 2 reviews

Spencer copes with Brendon's mysterious disappearance. Ryan and his cat, Jon, decide to help Spencer out.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2011-07-04 - Updated: 2011-07-05 - 1493 words - Complete

2Exciting
Brendon didn't call.
Spencer spent practically all night staring at the chipping paint of his ceiling, waiting for his phone to buzz from where he had balanced it on his forehead. It never did.
Brendon didn't know show up at school either. Throughout the whole day, Spencer was expecting Brendon to burst through the door of the classroom, stuttering an apology about being late. A sickening feeling of dread built up inside him as the school day slipped by without any sign of Brendon.
Spencer's worry got to an extent where he found himself hyperventilating inside the janitors closet while he was supposed to be in P.E. Sitting against the wall, knees pulled up to his chest and trying not to puke, Spencer felt his phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out of his pocket with inhuman speed and almost burst into tears when he saw the caller ID.
"Ryan! Why the fuck are you calling me right now, I'm at school you asshole!"
There was a sigh from the other end of the line and the answer came in Ryan's I'm your big brother so don't you pull that with me tone of voice, "Calm the hell down Little Blue! I was just calling to ask if I left my purple paint down there the last time I visited."
Spencer huffed and leaned his head back against the wall, defeated.
"Yeah. It's in the cupboard."
There was a pause on Ryan's end, before he said softly, "Spence? What's wrong?"
Spencer wiped the tears that had formed in his eyes and responded, "Nothing. I was just expecting a call from someone else."
He could hear Ryan situate himself more comfortably on his couch, preparing for a long conversation.
"Come on Little Blue, you can tell me. Does this have anything to do with Brendon?"
Spencer opened his mouth to give some smart-ass remark, but all that came out was a strangled sob.
"Spence, come on. Tell me what happened. I promise I won't tell anyone except Jon. And I don't really think he counts, 'cuz, ya know. He's a cat. Just tell me what's wrong."
Spencer sniffled and wiped his face with the back of his hand, taking a deep, shuddering breath, trying to compose himself. His voice was still shaking slightly when he spoke again. "I stayed over at his house, since his parents were on a business trip."
Ryan impressively didn't make any comment about Spencer putting out for his boyfriend. Spencer took a shallow breath and continued, "And we woke up the next morning, and his parents were there. And they saw us, and they were pissed and they yelled at him and Brendon didn't come to school today and-" his voice was racked with sobs, and his chest felt compressed, like when Brendon left, a huge weight was left to occupy the space on Spencer's stomach, instead of Brendon's warm body.
"I just don't know what to do." He finished, before burying his face in his knees again.
Ryan made a considering noise, as if he needed a moment to take it in. Spencer heard a small meow and knew that Jon must have crawled into Ryan's lap.
"What are his parents like?"
Spencer sniffled and replied, "Well... they're hardcore Mormons. You can take it from there."
"Have you called him?" Ryan asked.
"I didn't think that would be a good idea, considering that his parents are completely insane, and probably want to murder me. Or give me an exorcism."
"Look, you call him up right now, then call me back when you've finished talking to him, okay?"
Spencer sighed and hung up, speed dialing Brendon's number, waiting for the dial tone with baited breath.
The call went straight to voicemail, and it wasn't Brendon's cheerful voice on the answering machine.
"If you're calling this number, then obviously you must be one of my son's little friends, wondering why he wasn't at school today. Well, Brendon's going to be... going away for a while."
There was muffled yelling in the background and the answering machine shut off.
Spencer fainted.
He opened his eyes about twenty minutes later to the feeling of his phone vibrating from between his face and the floor. He had seventeen missed calls, all from Ryan, and a text that said, answer my calls or i'll tell mom that u sexed ur boyfriend.
Spencer quickly answered his phone.
"Spencer! Why the fuck haven't you been answering your phone? Do you know how worr- uh... why haven't you been answering your phone?!"
Ryan would never admit how much he cared about Spencer, but they both knew what he meant.
Spencer sighed and rubbed his temple, where a bruise was starting to form from hitting the ground so hard.
"I kind of passed out."
Ryan sucked in a breath and his tone of voice became gentler. "What did Brendon say?"
"His cell went straight to voicemail. His dad had rerecorded the message and said that Brendon was going away for a while. Do you think... Ry... I'm just so scared for him. I don't even... I don't know Ry. I really don't."
The bell rang to signal the end of the school day, and Spencer discreetly walked out of the closet, no pun intended. He saw the jocks eyeing him murderously from across the hall, so he quickly said into the receiver of his phone, "Look Ry, I've got to go. School's over and I have a feeling that if I don't get out of here in time, I'll get pummeled."
Ryan sighed and said, "Just promise me that you'll look after yourself Little Blue."
And with that, Ryan hung up, leaving Spencer to attempt to navigate his way out of the school without being cornered by the jocks.
A few minutes later, he was cornered by the jocks behind the cafeteria. The beating wasn't worse than usual, and Spencer had learned long ago to keep quiet as the punches landed. After they left, Spencer slid down the wall they had pushed him against until he was sitting on the cement. He knew his hair was completely messed up, sticking up everywhere and that there was a nasty bruise forming under his left eye to accompany the one on his forehead, but right now, he was just to emotionally drained to give a fuck. He walked home on autopilot, only realizing that he was actually walking home when he passed Brendon's house.
Spencer slowed his pace, debating on whether to march up to the house and demand his boyfriend back. He was just about to do just that when his cell buzzed in his pocket. It was Brendon's number.
"Bren?"
"Don't even think about it."
Spencer scowled at the front window of the house, where Brendon's father was undoubtedly lurking behind the blinds, Brendon's cell phone pressed to his ear.
"What have you done with him?" Spencer growled.
"He isn't here anymore."
"That wasn't my question."
Both of their voices dripped venom.
"I know. We sent him somewhere where they'll teach him that homosexuality is evil."
Spencer shifted his weight to one foot and asked, "And... where might this place be?"
The line went dead.
Now that Spencer knew that Brendon was no longer at the Urie household, he turned on his heel and headed towards his own house, gritting his teeth. He opened the door, made some half-assed excuse to his mom about being tired, and slipped into his room, shrugging out of his shoes, socks, shirt and jeans on his way to bed.
He dialed Ryan's number, only to be greeted by Ryan's voicemail. Spencer didn't bother to leave a message, he just turned over and tried to think of what to do. In a matter of minutes, his pillow was soaked with tears.
When Spencer finally fell asleep, his dreams were disturbed with images of Brendon, locked up in an unknown location, waiting for Spencer to come save him.

Spencer woke up to the feeling of a sandpapery tongue licking tears off of his face, and cold hands running their fingers through his sweat-drenched hair. He felt feverish from his nightmares and opened his eyes to see a familiar dusty brown kitten staring back at him with deep brown eyes.
"Hey Jon." Spencer smiled slightly, scratching the kitten's head.
Ryan chuckled and patted Spencer's head placidly. Spencer shifted so that he could rest his head on Ryan's pinstripe-clad thigh.
"What're you doing here? You live in L.A." Spencer asked sleepily as Jon burrowed into his side.
Ryan resumed stroking Spencer's hair and responded, "I have a plan to figure out where Brendon is."
Spencer's head snapped up, jostling Jon from his spot against Spencer's stomach.
"What is it?"
Ryan pursed his lips and said curtly, "You'll just have to wait until tonight."

--
SUSPENSE! As always, read and review or I'll send kitten!Jon after you to claw your guts out.
Sign up to rate and review this story