Categories > Original > Drama > All Those Unfinished

Dark Windows

by SylarGrimm 0 reviews

i like this one to. typed it on a phone so its got some typo problems

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-05-28 - Updated: 2012-05-29 - 9343 words

0Unrated
A Boy trained to be a serial killer falls in love with his next target: a church going, good hearted girl that shines her light to him. i should finish this story



Chapter 1
Prolog

I stood stalk still out side her house. It was a nice 2 story white house with tons of windows. The rain gave it an eerie look. The woods around me were sinister in the rain. I was about to leave when I saw movement in her bedroom. I watched with little interest as she sat in the chair in front of her window. The rain made it hard to see her but I already knew that she was wearing a gray t-shirt with black shorts. Dark blonde hair was like a beacon in the window. I knew she was looking for any sort of night animal, that’s what she does when she can’t sleep.
Just as I was stepping closer the lightning flashed. I froze. By the way she jumped out of the chair; I knew she had seen me. She had seen an 18 year old in a leather duster, cowboy hat, black jeans, and cowboy boots with 3 scars over his right green eye.
As soon as the lightning stopped I turned and strolled into the woods, praying she wouldn’t let the sight of me keep her from staying home alone for the week end.

Chapter 2
Nightliner

I walked carefully through the woods. The rain didn’t bother me at all. I pulled up my sleeve and checked my watch. 1:02 am. The girl, Megan, was going to be my next victim Friday night around the same time.
The cabin was tucked carefully into a clearing of trees. No one would find this place for a thousand years. I shoved open the door and remove my hat and duster. Steve appeared in the hallway.
"Well? Is she what you want?"
"And more."
"Good, good. When do you plan to do it?"
"Next Friday night"
"With what?"
"I don't know, the knives would probably be best. She has a little brother if you want him"
"Mhmm....you use the knives to much. How old is the boy?"
"About 7"
"nah...he’s too old. I got you when you were 3"
I remembered that day. The day my mother and father were murdered by the serial killer Nightliner, and I was taken. Yes I knew what was going on. I knew Steve was Nightliner; I knew what Steve had trained me for was wrong, but my brother's survival depended on it. I have an older brother; he was 7 when Steve took me. He now lives in a two storey house with a wife and 3 kids in Tennessee. He has no idea that I’ve been killing girls for the past 12 years to save him from Steve's wrath.
I have been killing scene I was 7 and to my disgust, I have begun to slightly enjoy it. I had tried everything to stop. I've tried to runaway more then once but it always ended in Steve catching me and "punishing" me. Steve's punishment involved a car battery, a tub of water, a knife, or a leather barbed whip. I had only successfully gotten out of the woods 3 times, hence the 3 scars over my eye. I would get into town and into a homeless shelter the first 2 times and every time Steve came to town for food and supplies I would be caught. The longest I’ve ever lasted was 5 days, I had made it half way across Washington by the time Steve caught me. I had even tried to kill Steve but I lost and ended up tied to a pole outside for 5 days.
I sighed, pulling myself out of the past. Steve now sat in his rocking chair drinking a beer.
"Goodnight Steve, see you in the morning"
"Runaway and I'll...”
"....torture the spirit right out of me"
"That’s my Tyberius"
I slouched as I trudged up stairs to my bedroom to escape my never ending life with the devil.

Chapter 3
Farm in the Woods

The alarm buzzed. For the sixth time I slapped it. I rolled over to get back to my dream when Steve came into my room.
"Boy, I feed you, I train you, I let you sleep in MY house, and you repay me by sleeping in?"
I stayed where I was; testing him. I listened as he stepped closer.
"Did you hear me you idiot? GET OUT OF THE BED!!!!"
I still didn't move. I do this from time to time, test Steve, and defy him for the longest time possible. So far the longest was 10 minutes; I was trying for 12 this time around.
"If you don’t get out of that blinkin' bed then so help me I’ll tie you back to the pole"
I sat up and glanced at the clock. 10 a.m.; Megan would be in class by now.
"That’s better. I expect to see you downstairs and ready in 10 minutes."
I waved my hand at him and rolled my eyes. I could see the anger flash in his eyes, but he must have had something better to do because he left.
I got up and clicked the play button on my stereo. Now Steve is very controlling in everything except my electronic entertainment. As long as it doesn’t connect to the internet, I'm good. I get money from my crimes sometimes; so every time Steve takes me into town I buy some thing. Here lately I’ve been buying all the CDs from the Christian singer Toby Mac. I have recently bought his new album, Tonight.
While 'Funky Jesus Music' boomed out of the speakers I jumped into the shower across the hall. After the cold shower I went down for breakfast. Steve had already left to cut wood for the day and most likely wouldn’t be back until dawn.
I put together a ham sandwich and got a glass of water. I shoved the sandwich in my mouth and drained the water.
“Time for chores”
I grabbed the bag of dog food and dragged it out side to feed Bill.
Bill is the best huntin' dog ever. Being a blue tick hound he has the best scene of smell. But Bill doesn’t just hunt rabbits and raccoons, Steve used to use him to hunt little boys through the woods. Bill should be the one credited for founding me all those times I tried to run away. The best thing about Bill is that, he absolutely hates Steve. Only the lord knows what Steve did to this dog. I on the other hand, was very loved by Bill. He followed me around when I first got here and he still does. Bill would do what ever I told him to; especially leave Steve, that’s what allowed getting half way across Washington. Bill was with me.
After feeding bill I fed the cows. Both have long since stopped giving milk but Steve refuses to get rid of them.
I then went to feed the chickens with very little interest in what I was doing. I was about to drop the bird seed when I saw a flash of orange.
"Crud. Alex! Get out of the chicken coop!"
As I said his name, Alex, the fox stuck his head out the door with the rooster between his jaws.
"Spit him OUT!"
Immediately Alex let go and the rooster scurried off. Alex crawled out with a sad look on his face.
"Yeah, I caught you red handed didn’t I? Mhmm... You better go before Steve finds out you've been in the coop again."
Alex ran off for the woods while I stood to continue my chores.

Chapter 4
Burning Flesh

I finished all my chores around dawn and Steve still wasn’t home. Toby Mac still played on the stereo. I was singing and planning my next escape when I heard Steve’s truck pull up. I ran up stairs and shut off the radio just as he walked through the door.
"Boy? I got a job for you"
I came down stairs
"What do you need?"
"There’s a body in the back of the truck, deal with it"
"Fine. Burned or burred?"
"Either one, just so long as it’s disposed of"
I walked out side and opened the tailgate. The body belonged to Megan's history teacher. I stomped back inside.
"Whatever happened to killing low lives? Huh? Mr. Marks is high in the town. How are we gonna deal with this?"
"We’re not"
"What?"
"We’re not going to deal with anything. You're going to bury or burn him and that’s the end. He'll turn up in a missing case file. There’s nothing to lead his disappearance to us. Now deal with the body"
"But why did you kill him?"
"I was trying to take a little girl when he came up, don’t worry 'bout the girl, she’s tied to the post. But that guy saw me and tries to confront me. Imagine, that man thinking he could take me. He couldn’t even take you. Now deal with the body"
So I dragged Mr. Mark to the burn barrel and torched him. The first time Steve had asked me to do this I had thrown up, but now I do it with out blinking.

Chapter 5
Stalking

I stood outside the school a few yards from the buses wearing a black hoodie and jeans. I watched Megan stroll with her best friend to bus 46. The bus started off and it drove past me. I looked up at window 8 where she sat. She was looking out the window like she usually does when she saw me. I could tell by the look in her eyes that she remembered me. She turned to poke her friend but by the time she turned back, I was gone.
As I walked away I planned how I would take her out of this world. I owned 2 curved blades I could use to slit her throat, fast and painless, the way I usually kill. But I decided on something different since it was a special case. You see, she’s more like me then she knows. Both of us being adopted, only father, parents killed by the same man.
I walked into the woods and made my way to the cabin. Once there I went into my room to get ready to go into town. I grabbed the make-up Steve had bought me to cover up my scars. Once the scars were covered and I had put on some “normal” clothes, I looked like most the other guys except for my hair but that didn't matter.
I headed into town, brushing my stringy hair out of my eyes, and went to the Country Side gas station to buy some more CDs. Once inside I nodded at Kelly, the clerk, and headed to the small electronic section of the store. While browsing I’m totally absorbed, so I didn’t see Megan until I bumped into her.
"Oaf. I’m sorry I..."
I stopped and stared hopping she wouldn’t recognize me.
"Oh. I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there. What are you looking for?"
I pointed to the empty Toby Mac bin, looking for an escape.
"Ooo.. He’s a great artist"
"I know. I have his new album"
Crud. Number one rule of being a killer; never ever get attached to your victim.
"Awesome. I haven’t heard it yet, that’s what I’m here for...do I know you?"
Uh oh...this is it
"No, I guess I have one of those faces"
Shut up you idiot
"Oh. But don’t you go to the high school?"
Just as I was about to lie to her Kelly came by
"Oh Tyberius and his father run the junk pile in the woods, Steve home schools him" Great, there goes my life
"Oh. Tyberius is a nice name. Miss Kelly, have you heard about Mr. Mark? He’s missing along with Nancy’s 8 year old daughter Tracy."
I gulped
"Oh! I heard they found his blood in the parking lot of Jolly Greens. The same place that Tracy disappeared from"
Oh man
"Well Kelly, I have chores to do. I’m Sorry."
Kelly nodded at me, absorbed with Megan. Steve is so going to kill me because of what I’m about to do.

Chapter 6
The Start of a Turn Around

I ran as fast as I could through the woods. I came to the back of the house where Tracy sat tied to the post. I flopped down in front of her making her cry out.
"Tracy. Listen, did you ever see your attacker? Do you know where you are?"
If she had seen Steve then there was nothing I could do for her.
"No. Who are you? Where? Where...”
“It’s ok. I’m gonna untie you ok? But I’m going to leave the blindfold on. It’s dark, I can’t have you scared"
She nodded. I untied her and grabbed both her hands and led her away into the woods. It was 6 o'clock so it was getting dark. I led her along for about an hour. Turning every which way, throwing her off on where she was. I could have had her out in less than 20 minute but that would lead the cops to my house.
We reached the main road around 7. I removed the blindfold and stuffed it in my pocket. She looked at me like I was an angel. I shook my head and mumbled
"Honey, I’m a demon"
I took her into Kelly’s shop.
"Call 911 Kelly, I found Tracy by the old bear cave."
As soon as Kelly had put down the phone 3 cop cars pulled up. The first one in was a man in a suit. Tracy clung closer to me as he knelt in front of us.
"Hey sweaty. I’m detective Aaron. Did you see your attacker?"
She looked up at me. I suddenly felt responsible for her, like an older brother.
"No she didn’t. Now sir, with all due respect, she doesn’t need this. She’s been tied to a pole all day, all she needs is her mom"
As if called, Nancy ran threw the door and nearly pushed Aaron away from us.
"Oh honey! Are you ok?!"
She looked up at me. Great that’s all I need. Attention from a worried mother.
"Are you the one who found her?"
I merely nodded distracted with who came in the door. Megan stood next to Kelly a few feet away.
"Thank you Soooo much!"
Before I knew what was going on I was wrapped in a motherly hug. I was gasping for breath by the time Megan made her away over to us. Tracy finally realized that the loud women was her mother, and let go of me.
"So you're a hero now, huh?"
I looked at her
"I was walking through the woods and I heard her crying. That’s it. Nothing heroic"
She shook her head
"You just messed with Nightliner."
"Who?"
I pretended to be ignorant
"That’s what the locals call him, more like what every one calls him. He’s wanted for over 100 murders and disappearances. See that guy in the suit?"
I nodded
"That’s Aaron. He’s been working the case for the past 5 years. He says it been going on for 13 years"
I sighed and mumbled
"It’s been going on longer then that"
"What did you say?"
"Nothing, I got to get home. Steve’s gonna be worried sick"
She merely nodded and I head out the door. I had just reached the woods when the cameras started arriving. Like I said, Steve’s going to kill me.

Chapter 7
Snakes

I reached the cabin around 7:20. Steve was standing on the porch; a scowl on his face.
"Do you know where the girl went?"
I furrowed my eyebrows and frowned; mock confusion
"She’s gone? That’s funny I saw her tied to the post before I left for town"
Steve looked at me
"She’s not there now. I’m gonna need you to get Bill ready to look for her."
"Fine, just let me go to the bathroom. She probably hasn’t gotten far. I'll find her, don’t worry. Tracking is my..."
"I don’t care. Just find her"
"Hey. Did she see you?"
"I don’t think so. Why?"
"Well if someone did find her then she wouldn’t be able to tell them about you."
He nodded and I ran up stairs to stall. I changed into my black t-shirt, cowboy boots, hat, and duster.
I ran out side and untied Bill at the same time throwing the blindfold into the burn pile.
"Hey Steve, do you have something to sent after?"
He just handed me a piece of rope which I placed in front of Bill; in a second we where on the trail. We reached the main road around 8:30 in the same amount of time me and Tracy did. Bill tried to go on but I pulled him back and told him to go home. As he headed off to the house I wiped my duster sleeve over my face, wiping off the make-up exposing my pale scars while my black hair fell into my eyes. As I stood there in the line of trees someone was suddenly in front of me. It was Megan.
"Oh my gosh! You're that boy!"
I did a 180 and took of into the woods, heart pounding.
"WAIT! Come back! I won’t hurt you!"
I could hear her running after me. Crud! I swerved this way and that but I couldn’t lose her. I didn’t want to kill her now! I wasn’t over my last kill. I killed with 2 weeks between each one, always on a Friday night exactly around 1:02 in the morning. I scope out my victims for the 2 weeks.
Megan was starting to catch up and I was nearing the house. If Steve catches her, he'd kill her; and me. I took off at a complete right angle, headed for the river. Megan kept up with me. The tree flew by as if I was standing still. As I neared the river I scanned the forest around me.
The river was fed by a 12 foot high water fall. The water poured down in a white froth. There was a sheer rock wall on either side of the waterfall. But behind the water was a whole network of caves that would be easy to hide in.
I didn’t even think and dove into the waterfall. It was pitch black inside. I paused just behind the water, looking out. I saw her pause at the river, looking around. She stared at the waterfall and took a few steps toward it. She shrugged and turned around and headed back the way she came.
I didn’t even know I was holding my breath until my heart and lungs screamed for air. I took a gulp of air and pulled back into the darkness. I was about to head off into the catacombs when a pain flared up my left leg.

Chapter 8
Death

As I cried out I reached down to see what was stabbing my leg. I felt something long and scaly. Great, bitten by a snake. I grabbed the sucker and pulled. Pain swelled in me again but I didn’t let go. I limbed out into the moonlight, holding the snake by its head. I held it up and identified the creepy serpent as a moccasin. Crud. I had no idea how much venom had gotten into my system but I had to get home and fast. I started following the river. I was about 10 minute from the cabin; I had only about an hour before the venom got to where there was no stopping it. I started a gimp run, still holding the snake. It was 8:40 and I would be dead by 9:40. I tried to speed up, gripping the snake harder. I could hear and feel it fussing, but I wouldn’t let go.
I reached the cabin by 8:50 and I totally believed that I was going to die. I shoved the door open and stumbled in, now gasping. 50 minute until I was dead.
Steve stood abruptly, running over to me.
"What happened?!"
I held the snake up to his face making him flinch.
"45 minutes..."
I couldn’t even finish before I collapsed. Steve latched onto the snake and threw it into the trash can.
"Let’s get you to the clinic"
Steve dragged me into the truck and started it. The clinic was 20 minute away. Everything was turning dark.
"43 minutes..."
I was gasping and heaving in pain. Steve speed down a 20 mile street going 65. We were half way to the clinic when there were flashing lights behind us.
"Crud boy. Why tonight? Stupid cop, my sons dying"
I tightened my eyes in pain, feeling consciousness slipping. The cop must have called back-up because by the time we reached the clinic 3 police cars were trailing us.
"23 min...."
Steve pulled into the emergency parking lot haphazardly. He came around to my door and pulled me out. Steve wasn’t as strong as me so he was practically dragging me. Men from the clinic and the cop cars rushed to help him. Everyone was trying to carry me at once. I had just passed the threshold when I blacked out.

Chapter 9
Church

I woke up in a hospital bed. I half expected to be handcuffed to the bed. Steve sat asleep in the chair next to me. Then as I was staring at him something hit me. Steve had saved me. He had dragged me to the hospital, risking getting caught by the cops. But the strangest thing that happened last night was what Steve had said in the truck. 'My SON is dying'. Did Steve really care about me? Did he really think of me as his son?
The only thing I can remember about my first life is that my father beat my mom and me. He loved my older brother who had no idea what was going on. The man who I called dad was horrible but he still didn’t deserve to die.
That’s what kept me and Steve apart. I knew he had killed my mom. At the time I didn’t care that he killed my 'dad' but I drew the line at my mother. I don’t remember much about her only that she had long strait black hair. I remember running to her and crying with a scraped knee or something. And as she was comforting me I heard the glass of the back door break. I had thought it was dad. As we waited mom gripped me in her lap as if to protect me. We heard heavy foot steps as someone came around the corner. 'Who are you?'
I could hear my mother say. And a man answered
'Your killer'
Then I remember being lifted from my mother. I cried and cried but my mom barely tried to get me back, whispering something. I remember seeing her hair dangling in her face. There was red in her lap. I was carried away to the back door and out into the yard. Here I saw my dad leaning up against a tree. The tree and snow was soaked with red and a bloody knife was on the ground beside him.
Then another memory hit me. Carved into the tree above my dad was a word in all caps: NIGHTLINER. I then realized why detective Aaron called the killer Nightliner. My family’s murder was in a case file being investigated.
I was so wrapped up in my memories that I didn’t see Steve wake up.
"How you feeling?"
I jumped sitting up and looking at him.
"A little jumpy I see. Now what happened last night? I told the nurse that you and me where walking through the woods and you got bit. What really happened? I heard a girl yelling"
Crud; so much for lying to him.
"Well I was being followed, no biggy. But I hid from her behind the waterfall to the west and that’s where I got bit."
"Who was following you?"
I gulped and whispered
"Megan"
"Who? Louder"
I sighed
"Megan that’s who. She saw me and followed. Like I said, no biggy."
Steve shook his head
"The last thing we need is some girl snooping around the property."
"I’ll deal with it"
Just then the nurse came in
"How are you feeling honey? Any pain?"
"Mmmm..... Not really. My leg is numb though"
She came around to the side and lifted the blanket. My left leg was tinted black with 2 holes near the knee on the left side. How the snake got onto my leg and bit through my jeans is beyond me. Steve grimaced at the damage on my leg.
"How long will that take to heal?"
The nurse looked at Steve like he was a horrible father for asking such a question.
"It should be healed by Wednesday. If you stay off of it that is"
I looked at the nurse
"What is today? And what time is it?"
"Sunday 9:00"
Mhmm......Megan would be getting ready for church.
"Can I leave?...today?"
The nurse looked at me and then at Steve.
"Let me get Dr. Stein."
With that she left us alone.
A few minute later a women, who I assumed to be Dr. Stein, came in with the nurse.
"Roberta says you're asking about going home?"
"Yes....today is Sunday....I....go...To church. Yeah church."
I glanced at Steve who nodded coolly.
"Oh well, you need to stay in here to take...”
"I don’t want any medication. Just wrap it up, hill-Billy style for all I care, so I can leave."
"Honey please. Just listen.."
"I don’t want to listen. I want to leave. I have a church meeting that starts in 45 minute and I don’t want to be late!"
The doctor looked at Steve for help but he shrugged.
"He turned 18 a week ago Friday. He’s the adult. Let him go to church"
The doctor nodded
"Fine. We'll wrap it up. But tonight come in for a check up. Ok?"
I looked at Steve who nodded
"Fine. So long as I get to leave."

Chapter 9
Meeting

I got out of the hospital with my duster, black t-shirt, cowboy hat, black jeans, cowboy boots, and a limb. Steve helped me into the truck.
"Were you kiddin' about going to church?"
I shook my head.
"No. I don’t want a nurse to go to the church and not find me there. Just drop me off."
I started digging around in the glove box.
"What are you looking for?"
I simply pointed to my eye and kept looking.
"Here I brought a can. But I already put some on it this morning."
I grabbed the can and opened the mirror on the sun visor. I could barely see the scars so applied more.
We pulled up to the church and I got out, leaving my hat in the front seat.
"Would you please set my hat in my room? Don’t worry about picking me up. I can walk."
Steve nodded driving off. I looked the church up and down. It was the only church in the town. It was a big building but very few went here. Most people drove all the way to the big city to go to St. Ann’s. There was a sign up front. In all caps was written:

THE GERNERAL ASSEMBLY
&
CHURCH OF THE FIRST BORN

Only about 30 people went here, counting Megan. It was a nice little assembly that sat up front in the first 12 pews.
I pulled up my sleeve and checked my clock. 9:58. 2 minutes. I pulled off my duster and balled it up around my arm. I pushed my hands threw my messed up black hair and limbed threw the door. I took the back pew to myself and listened to the congregation sing 'I Fly Away'. I spotted Megan in the very back pew sitting with her adoptive family. Her little brother was not related to her but she still treated him as such. I could hear her singing from here. A beautiful sound that, I figure, angels respected. Her dark blonde hair was pulled back into a pony tail. She wore glasses but that didn’t matter.
You see, she’s what the world calls a pretty nerd or unpopular. With only one friend Megan was the outcast, but she didn’t care. She was nice to everyone and everything. I'd bet my whole life to God that she'd even be nice to me if she knew I was a killer.
I chose her because of when I first saw her. I had chosen Miss. Graph, a young single teacher, but as I was staking her out Megan walked by my hiding place. I thought Miss, Graph was perfect and then I saw her face. Just a glimpse of her face and my whole world changed. I knew when I saw her I would be changed forever. I heard her name but had never seen her face. Just the sight of her made me question my whole being. Why was I killing? Was it really to save my brother?
As I sat there thinking about Megan the hours crept by. I was barely aware of the end of meeting as we all stood. I was about to leave when Megan was suddenly in front of me. The sight of her took my breath away and made me feel week. I leaned on the pew for support.
"I didn’t know you went here."
Don’t panic
"Oh I don’t usually go to church, but..."
I suddenly drew a blank
"But you saw me in here?"
I looked around and hung by head, defeated. But then she was laughing
"That’s ok. It’s not every day I meet someone who don’t make fun of me"
I shook my head and looked at her.
"I would never make fun of a fellow Toby Mac fan"
Again she laughed and I wished I could kick myself. Surely God loved and blessed this beautiful creature and wouldn’t let one of Satan's demons take it out of this world.
"Soooo....wanna take a walk?"
Before I even thought threw the first word I nodded. She started off and I followed. She turned around and watched me limb forward.
"What happened?"
"Oh nothing. I got bit by a snake"
Her eyes widened
"Uh...that’s something"
I shook my head.
"Where we goin'?"
She pointed out the door
"Just follow. Ok?"
I nodded and she walked out the door. I was still carrying my duster.

Chapter 10
Ice Cream

Megan told Shelly, her adoptive mother, where she was going and we headed down the street. She pointed out her house and said if I ever need a ride any where to just come on over.
We reached the end of the road and I was about to turn around when she poked me.
"Do you have any money? We could get ice cream"
I looked around and sure enough there was the oldest building in town, the ice cream shop. I nodded and limbed up to the door and held it open for her.
"After you"
She laughed; a sound that sounded like wind chimes. We sat in the window seat and ordered 2 vanilla cones. Megan tried to get me to spill something about me but I decided to stay mysterious. She started asking about my mother so I decided to hit below the belt.
"What about Mrs. Shelly? I mean you don’t look like her. Is she really your mother?"
I could tell this was a touchy subject.
"My 'real' family was murdered when I was 5. Detective Aaron thinks Nightliner did it because of the way my parents were killed. I saw him you know, Nightliner."
My throat tightened.
"Yeah I saw him. He had oily black hair with dark blue eyes. He had such a horrible smile! He had worn a plaid flannel and drove a black pick up. But the main thing I remember about that night was the boy in his truck."
I swallowed, this is it, she’s gonna recognize me.
"He was my age, the boy; he had long black hair pulled into a pony tail, kinda like yours, and strong green eyes. And over his right eye was a scar."
I looked to my reflection in the window to make sure my scars weren’t showing.
"I’ve never forgot that boy. He saved my life, you know. I heard him screaming so I hid under my bed. When Nightliner left I ran to the window to watch him leave. In the passenger seat was that boy. He was screaming and pushing on the door like there was no handle on the inside."
There still wasn’t a handle on the inside.
"When Stoke got into the drivers seat the boy looked up at me. I could tell he was around my age but when I looked into his eyes..."
She shivered
"It was like I was looking at a 90 year old man. I could tell that boy had been threw A LOT. It was like he had been kidnapped by the devil."
That wasn’t far from the truth
"From that day on that boy has been in every one of my dreams. I want to find him and rescue him if he’s still alive"
I shook my head.
"What if Nightliner turned the boy into a killer? A killer just as brutal and uncaring as himself? Wouldn’t you want him dead? Like Nightliner?"
She shook her head
"I don’t believe Nightliner or that boy deserves to die, no matter how much people they killed. No one deserves to die. It says in the bible not to follow the old law of ‘an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Killing Nightliner would be just as bad as Nightliner killing my parents."
I shook my head
"I know I’d want the killer of my mother dead....if she was murdered that is"
She looked at me and I suddenly felt like that little boy again. Looking up at her, wishing her to love me, care for me.
I looked at my watch, 4:45.
"Well, I have to go. Steve’s gonna kill me as late as it is."
I grabbed my duster and faced her again.
"Thanks for the walk. I’ll......talk to you later...I guess"
She nodded, eyes glued to the duster in my arms. Before she could say anything I limbed out the door and headed for the woods.

Chapter 11

I pushed open the cabin door to an empty front room. Steve must be in bed. I opened his door but he was gone. I looked out the window to find the truck gone. Mhmm....Steve must be out killing again.
I limbed up stairs and showered. I dressed for bed and went into my bedroom. I didn’t bother to rewrap my leg. I remembered that I was supposed to go to the hospital.
Oh well, I’ll have Steve drive me when he gets home. I climbed into bed and flipped of the lights.
Megan had no idea that I dream about that girl in the window just as much as she dreams of that boy in the truck.





Chapter 12
Steveless

I sat up to my alarm at 9:00 and let it go, waiting. I was waiting for Steve to come and tell me to get out of bed but he never came. Worried and confused, I turned off the alarm and limped down stairs. My leg was starting to hurt worse.
I looked outside to find the property Steveless. Scratching my head I made myself a sandwich. I went back up stairs and showered. After getting dressed in a dark blue t-shirt and blue jeans, I applied the make-up to cover up my scars. I headed back into my bedroom and was about to grab my boots when I changed my mind and decide to wear what 'normal people' wear in the fall, tennis shoes. The shoes were brand new so they were kinda hard to get on. I grabbed my hoodie and headed out to do my chores.
By the time I had fed all the animals my leg was numb with pain. I needed to get to the hospital. But with Steve gone how was I supposed to get there? I smiled. Megan.

Chapter 13
Free Ride

I limbed the whole way to Megan's house. School was out today for a reason I didn’t know, so Megan would be home. As I stepped up onto the porch I had a strange temptation to run for my life. I took a deep breath and pushed the door bell. I shrugged my shoulders when no one came to the door and turned to leave.
But just as I was stepping onto the first step the door opened. I turned back to the door to see a woman in a night gown. I looked at my watch. 10:45. shouldn’t people be up by now? I looked at the women, this must be Shelly.
She forced a smile as she looked me over. I’m glad all she saw was a teenage boy with stringy black hair framing his face. God forbid if this woman ever saw the killer on her doorstep. Pain flared up all the way to my hip, making everything tint black.
"Hello. Can I help you?"
I could tell she was not in the mood for young boys on her porch.
"Uh yes. Is Megan home?"
The forced smiled slid into a frown.
"Whose asking?"
There was so much venom in her voice that I flinched. Maybe this was a bad idea.
"I’m a friend...I guess"
Just as Shelly was about to say something sour a voice spoke behind her.
"It’s ok Nana. This is Tyberius. The boy I told you about."
Great, I’ve been told about.
"Oh..."
Shelly looked me over again while Megan appeared behind her shoulder.
"I didn’t think he looked like that"
Thanks, you either
"Uh Megan....I need a ride. To the hospital. Steve's not home to take me."
To prove that I wasn’t lying I pulled up my left pant leg to expose my snake bite. This action made me dizzy.
Megan flinched and Shelly stepped back as if I was the walking black plague.
"Of...Of course; man that looks bad"
"Well it hurts...bad"
Megan stepped threw the door and grabbed my arm. Her touch sent shivers threw me. I wasn’t used to being touched, not affectionately at least. Megan lean in closer
"Lean on me so Nana knows you're not faking"
I looked at her, sighed and put my arm around her shoulders. She opened the passenger door on her blue Toyota and helped me in. Wow only 17 and she already knows how to drive, Steve was just now teaching me how to put the car into drive.
Megan started the car and we were off. My leg all the way trying to kill me.
"I don’t think Nana likes me"
Megan laughed, again with the wind chimes.
"Nah...she doesn’t know you like I do."
"Do you really know me?"
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"Nothin' just sayin' that you only met me 2 days ago."
"Well I think you're a good person at heart and that’s what counts. How’s your leg?"
I pulled up my pant leg and checked out my wound. The swelling had gone up, but only a little.
"It’s ok"
Megan nodded and pulled into the hospital parking lot. She came around to my door and helped me out. Lord only knows how she held up my weight.
When we walked (more like limbed) into the hospital I saw Dr. Stein talking to a nurse. She looked up and I waved. She called 2 nurses with her and ran over to us.
"Why didn’t you come in yesterday?"
Mhmm... Maybe because my so called dad was off on a killing trip with our truck and I can’t drive.
"My dad went on a trip and kinda left me behind. And I didn’t have a ride until this mornin'"
Dr. Stein shook her head
"Let’s get you to the check out room."
The nurses took me from Megan and the pain finally exploded and I collapsed.

Chapter 14
Need to Leave

I woke up in a hospital bed with Megan and Dr. Stein beside me.
"What is today? And what time is it?"
"It’s Tuesday, 4:00"
I looked at Megan
"Why are you here?"
"I drove you here; I wanted to make sure you're ok"
I nodded and started to sit up but Dr. Stein pushed my shoulder back down.
"Oh no you don’t. You need to rest and take...”
"I told you before I don’t want any medication. Now let me leave."
"I’m afraid I can’t do that"
Anger boiled in me. My most dangerous weapon
"I said I want to leave"
"I’m sorry, I can’t let you leave"
Finally my anger exploded and I shoved her hand away
"I WANT TO LEAVE!"
I got so loud that Megan flinched and Dr. Stein reeled away. I yanked out the IV and leapt out of the bed. Crud I’m in a night gown. I searched around until I found my clothes. Dr. Stein and Megan were yelling at me but I had no plan to listen. I took off out the door and down the hall way. With every foot step pain swelled up all the way to my head, but I didn’t stop. I saw 2 guards down at the end of the hall way, pointing. CRUD! I slid and turned down a hallway, bumping into nurses as I went. I found an empty hallway and ducked into it. A little ways down I found an open room and closed the door behind me. I leaned against the door and listen to the guards run down the hallway just beyond the door.
I let out a puff of air and decided that I better get dressed since I had my clothes. I put on my jeans and t-shirt; my hoodie and tennis shoes where MIA so I had to make due with the hospital socks.
I waited for the hospital to calm down for half an hour and then I made my escape. I headed down the hallway following the signs. I finally made it out to the parking lot, Scott-free. I started off down the road, slightly limping. I was only about a mile from the hospital when a black pick up pulled up beside me and Steve leaned out.
"If you're running away, you're goin' the wrong direction"
I looked at him and frowned
"Can I get a ride home? The hospitals kinda lookin' for me"
"Hop in."
I went around to the passenger side and climbed in, there was no handle on the inside.
"Thanks"
"No prop, so why is the hospital after you? Did you kill a patient?"
I laughed, uneasy
"No. They tried to give me medication that I didn’t want, so I ran. And where in the world were you?!"
Steve bowed his head and took off.
"Oh; nowhere. I caught a young woman on our property and I had to depose of her. I dumped her about 60 miles east of the main road, by the high way."
"What did you use?"
Steve smiled while I pulled my shoulder length hair back into a pony tail.
"A fifty five; straight shot in the base of the neck from 2 yards away."
I suddenly felt sick. I used my hand and wiped away the make-up over my scars.
I turned away from Steve and looked out the window and froze. In the car next to us was Megan. She was in the back seat of her mother’s car driving home from the hospital.
What made things worse was that she was looking straight at me. The look on her face said it all. She recognized me as that boy in the truck. And what made things worse was that we were in the same truck! She continued to stare at me and I did the same. I then realized that I didn’t look like the Tyberius she knew. She wouldn’t relate 2 and 2. So… Why should that little boy not be surprised to see her? Why would he act any different then he did then? So I began my act.
I widened my eyes and gave my best surprised look. I put my hand on the glass. Then I looked back at Steve like he had yelled at me and whispered.
"Drive faster!"
"Why? What’s wrong?"
"The girl next to us. She’s a living victim that saw you! She recognized me!"
Steve nodded and floored it.
I looked back at Megan with a fearful look. She glanced between her mom and then the truck
"Don’t let her see the plates on the truck! Take this road right here."
Steve flipped the wheel and we headed down the gravel road that led on into town. A car turned right behind us as if to block our plates. I watched as Megan's car kept going down the fast street.

Chapter 15
Freak Out

We reached the cabin later than expected. Steve opened my door and stomped inside grumbling about how hard it is to be a serial killer. Laughing to myself, I limbed up the porch steps. I stopped when I heard Bill freaking out. He only does that when there’s a stranger. I limbed around back pulling out my make-up can and applying it.
I put my back to the side of the house and peered around the edge of the cabin. In the woods about 5 yards away I heard men shouting and saw flash lights. My heart stopped at the sounds off dogs. How could I be so stupid? I didn’t cover my tracks when I had led Tracy out of the woods so now they had dogs on the trail.
I hushed Bill and gimped to the post. I used all my strength and weight to yank it out of the ground. My back would be sore for days. I lugged the 4 foot wooden pole to the burn pile and threw a match on it. (I always carry matches, 4 switchblades hidden in various places, and keys to my old house that Steve had given to me when I was first taken.)
I watched as the post, the blindfold, and various logs went up in flames. I listened and estimated about 8 minutes till the men got here.
I ran into the woods, scuffing my feet, destroying most of the tracks. I went back and grabbed the door mat from the back porch. It was big and fussy on the top side. I flipped it over and started dragging it threw the woods on the path that I had taken. I stopped and listen. 4 minutes. I limbed back to the shed and dug out deer hunting sent that Steve uses to make himself smell like the outdoors.
It being in a spray can made things easy. I gimped onto the path spraying every thing. I went up almost 2 yards from the men. As they came around the bend I stuck the can into my back pocket and pulled my shirt over it. One of the men started yelling.
"He’s got to be around here some where! Keep looking boys!"
They were looking for me...great prison looks like the promised future.
One of the flash lights light up my face and I covered my eyes.
"Who are you? Did you get the coon?"
I suddenly felt very stupid. These were no police men, only hunters looking for a coon.
"No... But do you know that you’re on private property? I have rights to call the cops but I won’t unless you stay on the property. 10 yards back is a ring of trees marked with red paint. And exactly 20 yard from this spot is a barb wire fence that has a no trespasser sign every 2 ft. So I suggest that you get of my property."
The 5 men looked at one another, shrugged and nodded, and headed back the way they came. Phew.

Chapter 16
Pity

I pushed open the door to Steve’s snores. He's getting pretty sure that I won’t run away. I trudged up stairs and showered. After returning to my room I looked at my bed side clock to check the time. 2:30 in the morning on Wednesday. I decide on not setting my alarm and flipped off the light. As I climbed into bed I couldn’t help but think of what the road ahead of me looks like. Would I stay an uncaring killer? Or would I be changed by Megan like I hoped? I don’t usually look to the future because it wont get you anything, but I couldn’t help but wonder about it. The future is an unsure thing that seems to constantly change. And if you throw God into the pot...well only the lord knows what that comes out to be.
As I look upon my life it seems the song "be prepared" fits it in every way. I long to be noted as something...special. But Steve keeps scamming me out of my title. I want to be seen for the wonder I am! But I have a strange feeling that I’m going about it the wrong way. But how would someone like me make it out in that world? I do every thing that Steve tells me to do, yet I never find that chance of a life time! I am prepared for everything except I always seem to get caught unawares. Steve doesn’t need me yet he keeps me around and I won’t get anything without him. Steve thinks I only have potential when aliened with his plan. My whole life seems sorted and I’m still waiting for my reward. I want to be perfected, either by Steve or Megan. Each would perfect me in 2 different ways. I’m waiting for that coo of the century. After meticulous plan I still get nothing. I want to be respected, saluted, and seen for the wonder I am as I said before! I want to be given my dues. I swear to have justice in my life. I always seem to need some one to tell me what to do and provide for me. Do I adore Steve? Now that’s a question. I look up to him that’s for sure.
I lost track of my pity party in the folds of sleep.

Chapter 17
Westbrook

I woke around 2:30 Wednesday afternoon. I had no plan of getting out of bed but Steve did. He stood in the door way tapping his foot.
"When were you planning on getting out of bed?"
I groaned
"Never! Now go away!"
I heard a surprise little sound come out of Steve and I smiled at the wall. But my small victory was short lived as I felt a knife pressed against my right temple. I sighed and had a bullet proof feeling.
"I’m not getting up."
The knife point dug into my skin, I felt blood wriggle to my eye.
"You’ll get up if I tell you to"
I still didn’t move.
"Are you stupid Steve? Let me spell it out for you: N-O ,space, I ,space, W-I-L-L ,space, N-O-T "
I must have a death wish because the knife pressed even harder and Steve started to drag it down to my already scared eye.
"Get.....up"
I felt the blood drip from my nose to the pillow below my head; great more bloody laundry.
"Leave me alone Steve"
I finally realized something. The knife blade didn’t hurt. Steve pushed even harder and the pain still didn’t come. That’s weird.
"2728 Westbrook"
My eyes shot open and he repeated it
"2728 Westbrook, New York city"
My heart stopped.
"You wouldn’t want that bigger brother of yours to loose a little girl now would you?"
Suddenly the pain from the knife swelled in my brain causing my vision to blur. I started to make a choking noise that seemed to come from my very being.
I flung myself up, snatching the knife out of Steve's surprised hand. I got into the stance he had trained me to take and held the knife ready.
"Don’t be stupid boy"
But I could here the fear in his voice.
"The last time I tried this was when I turned 10. I’m bigger now"
Steve’s back was to the door, hands extended.
"Just give me the knife, the last thing you need is a bloody mess. Where would you go any way? To your brother? He doesn’t want you. If he did he would have been looking for you long ago."
I knew he wasn’t right but something inside me told me to put down the knife. I slowly lowered the knife and Steve relaxed. But as quick as lightning I flung the knife, knife thrower style, right past Steve's head and into the wall. The knife had missed him by about 1/2 an inch.
"Missed"
Steve choked out
"Who’s to say I was aiming for you?"
I shrug past him and went out the door to shower.

Chapter 18
Ty

After dressing in dark green almost black shirt, dark blue jeans, and cowboy boots I headed out to do my chores. It was 6:00pm by the time I left the house. I walked down the road applying make-up as I went. I had no idea where I was headed until I saw Megan’s house. I ran my hands over my stringy black hair, pushing it out of my face.
With a deep breath I reached out to ring the door bell. But just as I pushed the button the door opened to reveal Megan. My heart quickened. Her blue eyes smiled up at me. Did I motion that I tend to be taller then the average height of a teenager?
"Hey Tyberius! Come on in"
"What?"
"Come on in silly! Don’t be shy. My moms not home, just me and the little brother. We’re having dinner and you look hungry"
She turned and left the door open. I cautiously stepped threw the doorway and closed the door behind me. Megan started yelling from the kitchen
"Hurry up! We ordered pizza. Hope you like pepperoni!"
The walls of the hallway were covered with pictures of Megan. I finally stepped into the kitchen to find Megan sitting at the end of a huge dinner table. Her brother sat next to her, staring at me. I stood dumbly in the door way until Megan pointed to the chair in front of her
"Have a seat Ty. Do you mind if I call you that?"
Suddenly the memory of my dying mother flashed in my head; her arms limply reaching for me and whispering something. It suddenly hit me what she was whispering. Ty. That’s it. That’s what my mom used to call me. Ty.
"I don’t care"
Sign up to rate and review this story