Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Family Reunion

Vigilance vs. Training

by texaswookie 0 reviews

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-06-12 - Updated: 2012-06-13 - 3786 words - Complete

0Unrated
Like a phoenix this story rises from the ashes and returns.

“Hey no using my lines!” Jean Grey growls, as a giant Firebird erupts in the air.

“Ah crap your supposed to be dead.”

The woman in red and gold uniform smirks at the writer. “Please, I’m a comic book character. Besides does anyone even remember how many times that I’ve supposedly died?” She let out a dark laugh, as she eyed the writer. “Give me enough time and I’ll rise again, maybe I’ll even bring Captain America back with me next time.”

“Do you really think that’s necessary?”

“What, coming back or bringing Cap back?”

“Um, the bringing Cap back part actually.”

“Please, it’s Captain freaking America! If I don’t do it, then someone else will.”

“Right, well I think I’m gonna go now before you have any other inspirations.” The writer begins to take several cautious steps back.

“Not so fast, you haven’t done your disclaimer yet.” The cosmic entity said, raising her hand and freezing the Texan in place.

“Oh yeah, silly me.” The writer said, while straining against his invisible bonds.

“Do it now, or I shall be forced to delve into your mind to retrieve that information and I don’t have any worries about frying your mind.” The Phoenix threatened with a feral grin.

“Right, I don’t own any of the characters in this here story they’re from a multitude of other money making books and television shows that I ain’t got any connections too. So sueing me is useless, look in some of the early chapters for the real owner names.”

“There are you happy?”

“Well enough I suppose.” The Phoenix, responds as she bats the writer away with a flick of her wrist.


Vigilance vs. Training

Jack O’Neil growled out a curse as he listened to the radio chatter from around the base. The vision or whatever it was had not been something that he had enjoyed, partly because he would never be able to place bets on the fight, or drink a beer while it went on either. The other was the headache that he now had from seeing things from another perspective. If he had wanted that sort of thing to happen, he would get the Ancients library downloaded into his brain again. It didn’t take nearly as long, and Thor knew just the right size of aspirins to use to.

“All right people, tell me what’s going on out there!” He commanded.

“Sir, we have multiple hostiles approaching.”

“What type of threats are we dealing with?”

“I see both wizards, and wannabe Jaffa are trying to make their way into the base sir. We’re holding them off for the moment, but there’s no telling how long we have before they try to rush us. There’s also no telling what they are capable of doing with their magic.”

“Understood, keep me informed.” Jack clicked his radio off and tried to figure out what he should try to do next. It was one thing to take on a group of wannabe Jaffa’s, it was another thing entirely to try and fight a group of those same people when they had a large force of magic users on their side. He knew that they could disappear and reappear with nothing more than a thought. So the question was what more could they do when they actually had those wand things that they used? He had people with night vision and heat vision goggles, there were motion sensors set up to warn him, and a few other methods that could be used to find any intruders. Now the game was to shoot at each other from cover and see who got lucky, or who was better at stealth.

“Tell me you got some god news for me.” The colonel said, as he rounded on the radio operator.

The man shook his head. “No sir, in fact we’ve lost contact with the team watching the Slayer house.”

“Do we have any information on them yet?”

“No sir, their last report was normal, and then it’s like they just fell off the system. No amount of calling has managed to pull them back up either.”

“Great.”

“The only piece of news I have that’s not bad is that two unknowns were last seen heading this way. According to some reports these same things have been crisscrossing the globe all night.”

“Any ideas what they might have been?”

“No sir, satellite was unable to get a decent picture of the areas before the whatever’s moved on.”

“Then do your best to guess, and have someone on standby for fast moving who know what’s.”

“Yes sir.”

“How are the defenses holding up?”

“As well as can be expected sir.” Two different groups had taken over two of the buildings on the opposite side of them, and had them in a cross fire of a sort, and were using the place as target practice.

Jack sighed at this. “Right, have all available personal get on defense then.” He picked up is P-90 and headed for the door.

“Um sir, shouldn’t you stay here?” One of the men operating the control room asked.

“Not when I need to be out there.” The Colonel answered.

“What should we tell Commander Summers then?”

“Tell her to do as I say, not as I do.” Jack returned, as he headed out the office and doors.

“Yes sir.” One of the men said, somewhat confused by the answer.

“Finn report!” Jack said, as he dodged a red beam by jumping behind a small wall.

“We’re being held back; by the way their fire is coming sir! There’s too many different spells coming from that one,” He jerked his head one way toward a building, “and Seth’s followers have taken up hiding in that one over there.” He pointed to the second closer building. Jack watched, as he saw the golden beams of Jaffa staffs flying toward them. “With all of this firepower being directed at us, we just don’t have the time to mount a decent counter attack.”

Jack nodded at this. “Any ideas on how to handle the pretend Jaffa?”

“None that I know of sir.”

“Well, let’s just deal with that then.”

“And how do you intend to do that? We’re pinned down remember?” Riley asked sarcastically.

“Simple, we make it personal.” Jack said, smirking at the blonde man. “Bra’Tak!”

“I am here O’Neil.” The elderly Jaffa said from a corner where he was hiding from the various blasts, and sending a few of his own staff blasts back at the two buildings.

“You want to go and show those guys over in that building what it means to really be a Jaffa?” Jack asked casually.

The old man’s eyes sparked in anticipation at this. “It would be my pleasure to show them the worth of a true Jaffa warrior my friend.”

“You go and have yourself some fun then.” Jack said, waving the man on. The older man nodded, and retreated to collect Teal’c and his other fellow Jaffa.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Finn questioned as he watched the man hunker down.

“Taking care of a problem.” Jack said ignoring a handful of different colored spells as he unwrapped a candy bar and bit into it.

“But…”

“We have to either try and take out both those groups at the same time, or we have to take one of them out as fast as we can, and this is easily one of the fastest ways to do that.” Jack shrugged, as he listened to the fire. “Here, hold this.” He said handing the candy bar over, and then popped up and sprayed an area with bullets scattering a group of wizards, striking one or two and then popped down as a hail storm of energy blasts and emerald spells hit the air where he had just been a moment before, and sailed into the building that was another thirty feet away. “I think we got someone watching us.” The man said, as he took his candy bar back.

“Understood sir.”

“Carter you there?” Jack asked into his radio.

“Sir.”

“Tell the eyes to switch to heat vision for a bit.”

“Yes sir.” The woman’s voice said, he heard the command being relayed all over as hidden soldiers were easier to see, as the voice of his teammate gave them their orders, and people began withdrawing goggles from their packs.

Jack sighed, as he heard the clattering of someone as they began running. “All units be advised, we have an invisible hostile running along the side of the building.”

“Anything else you want to do?”

“Nah not really, now we gotta wait though till there’s a change with the Snake lovers camp.”

“Yes sir.” Riley said, as he fired a short burst at a man carrying a machine gun of some type.


Bra’Tac stood silently, as he looked at the camp of the enemy Tauri. This force had a combination of Tauri and Gould weaponry, making them very deadly. “Prepare yourselves my friends, for we are about to battle unknown odds.” The group of Jaffa nodded, with their teacher. Before they could move out though, several figures in cloaks appeared behind them with loud cracks. The Jaffa spun around and had their staffs opened ready to fire at the people that had appeared behind them. The Order of the Phoenix froze, slightly surprised since they had what appeared to be a half dozen gigantic wands pointed at them. Mad-Eye Moody was the only one that wasn’t caught off guard, and had already apparated out of the way and reappeared behind Bra’Tac with his wand covering the Jaffa. The former First Prime twirled his staff, and sent Moody’s wand arm up. The grizzled old Auror moved in to close the distance and brought his wooden leg up to connect with the Jaffa’s hand.

Bra’Tac spun with the blow, and hit the Auror with his staff in a one handed swing that sent Moody stumbling. The Auror rolled with the blow, and came up with his wand up and ready only to find himself faced with a steady staff.

“Hey, we’re supposed to be friends here.” Charlie Weasley said, as he cautiously slipped by Teal’c, and stepped between the two old fighters casting a shield charm that he normally used to deflect dragon’s fire breath away.

The two looked at each other for a moment, and then relaxed their postures. “You are correct. You have my most sincere apologies. Next time though, do not appear behind my people and me unless you wish to do battle.” Bra’tac informed the group.

“That’s the kind of vigilance I love to see.” Moody complimented, as both men lowered their weapons. Moody stumped up to Bra’Tac and offered his hand. “Mad-Eye Moody.”

“I am Bra’Tac.” The First Prime said, as he took the wizards arm in a warrior clasp.

“You and your people impress me, not many people truly understand the need for constant vigilance.” The Auror shot an annoyed glance at the rest of the Order who rolled their eyes at him.

“Indeed we do, as you obviously do as well.”

“Aye that I do.” Moody confirmed.

“Come then, as one warrior to another let us show you the difference between real Jaffa and these pretenders that are hiding.” Bra’Tac offered.

Moody grinned at this. “Sounds good. Kingsley! Get the rest of the Order up with the other fighters, and hold your ground unless told otherwise. All right?” The Auror growled at the dark skinned man before turning to the Jaffa leader. “Let’s go, we got things to do.”

“Indeed.” Teal’c agreed.

The group of Jaffa and single wizard crept silently along till they were standing alongside the building that housed their enemies.

“Are you ready my friend?” Bra’tac questioned the grizzled wizard.

“Hold on.” The Auror said as he looked at the wall. “We got four of them waiting for someone to enter.”

“Are there anyways to get in without alerting them?” Bra’Tac questioned.

Mad-Eye let his eye roamed around the building, as he tried to find an unguarded entrance. “Nope, they got all ways in and out covered with either equipment of some type or guards. Can your lot take care of the four guards?”

“Where in the room are they?” Bra’Tac asked, a craggy grin covered his face, as he realized what an asset a warrior like Moody was. Moody grinned back and used his wand to create a smaller version of the room and show the locations of the guards.

“Do they carry true weapons like our staffs, or do they carry the weapons of this planet?”

“They got two of those staff things like your lot have, they also have a couple of those gum things that the muggles have.”

“Very well. Teal’c you and the others know what to do.”

“Indeed Master Bra’Tac.” Teal’c said bowing his head, he then made a series of hand motions, which the other Jaffa obviously understood, as they took positions and then slammed through the door.

Moody watched in appreciation as the Jaffa spilled into the room, and subdued the people inside. “Your lot are efficient.” He said, as the two of them strode into the room after the others, and with Bra’Tacs orders and the advantage of Moody’s eye cleared the building of all of the followers of Seth.

“Automated defenses.” Bra’Tac spat angrily, scowling as he looked at a weapon that shot three times then turned and fired two shots.

“And only eight guards.” Moody growled, “Add in the six that are outside and dead, and this whole mess stinks of a trap.”

“Agreed. Check the other rooms for anything that might hint as to what it is that is happening. Perhaps we can find a clue as to the whereabouts of our enemies.” Bra’Tac ordered his fellow Jaffa. “Be sure to take down these automated weapons as well.” The Jaffa nodded, and began searching the various rooms.

Moody saw that the largest of the Jaffa who was dressed in green like the muggle soldiers was talking into a communication device of some sort, and relaying the lack of fighters to the muggle known as O’Neill. The two men stalked into one room that had been cleared of all of the furniture, a magical circle was painted on the ceiling though. Moody cursed, he hadn’t studied Runes when he was at Hogwarts, and had no idea what it was that this thing said, though he did have a rough idea what these sorts of things were used for.

“What do you know of these things Mad-Eye?” Bra’Tac asked, as he studied the design as well.

“Hard to tell. It might be a summoning spell, I’ve seen a few of them before, they’re used to summon demons mainly or it could be some sort of transportation spell using the same type of ritual magic, but these things are supposed to be rare I’ve only ever seen a handful of them in all my life.”

“Then perhaps we should proceed with caution.”

“Good idea.” The two were interrupted by a rumbling sound that caused Bra’Tac to spin around, while Moody merely cocked his head letting his magical eye roam around the room this action put the two of them back to back. The next moment they were surrounded by an unknown flash of light and transported to a new location.

“Down!” The two men ordered, as they dropped beneath an onslaught of attacks. The two of them came up and fired into the ground throwing rocks and dust up into the air. Twirling his staff Bra’Tac blasted a Death Eater then swung his staff and caught a Tauri behind his legs. Moving swiftly, he swatted a wand away from his face with his hand, while he gut slammed another with his staff. The First Prime barely reacted as he snapped the leg of another Tauri.

Moody let his grim game face on, as he sent out a slicing curse, and then pushed a muggle weapon pointed at him another way, while his wooden claw leg slashed another muggle. He transfigured a large muggle weapon of some type into an angry badger, who began to tear into a group of surprised muggles.

Bra’Tac locked his staff with a pretender, but broke away just as quickly spinning out of the way catching two Tauri and a Death Eater, he then stretched his staff out and broke the arm of the staff user then brought his staff upon the head of the Pretender. He watched in surprise, as his staff then changed in his hands into a large golden cobra. Swinging the creature around, he spun twice, and then released the hissing creature into the midst of a number of wizards who began batting at the angry creature who was slapping with its heavy tail, and striking with its teeth. The former First Prime then drew a pair of daggers and lunged at the nearest enemy.

Moody caught a muggle with a gum, and used the man’s weapon to block one of the staffs that would likely have crushed his skull in. He sent a binding hex at both of the muggles, then sent an explosive hex into a group of muggles and Death Eaters. Moody spun around, and then struck out with cutting, reducto and banishing spells at a Death Eater who had a fair-sized shield. Growling in annoyance, the former Auror sent a flame at the man’s feet and watched as the Death Eater apparated out of the way of the fire. The Death Eater was slammed into the ground by a stray spell as he reappeared.

Bra’Tac sliced a wand in half with one dagger and sliced open the face of a Tauri with his other. A spell grazed him, and the First Prime was flung through the air and nearly lost his grip on his daggers, as they bucked in his hands, and tried to go the other way. Bra’Tak then pulled back and threw both daggers, one was blasted off course by a spell, but the other was true and slammed into the face of a masked Death Eater. Bra’Tak then grabbed a Tauri from behind and pulled the young person’s arm up, and used his weapon and sprayed bullets at another group that was coming at him.

Moody reached into his robes and tossed a couple of acidic potions one-way. Grinning, Moody then shot some stunners and kicked out with his claw leg again, and grinned even bigger as the claw slammed into another Death Eater.

“Pull back!” A voice called out. “We need to regroup and think out a new attack.” Three or four cracks followed that, as the remaining wizards disappeared, while the handful of remaining pretenders ran off.

“Well my friend that was interesting.” Moody said, as he cancelled the spell on Bra’Tacs staff.

“Indeed.” Bra’Tac said, as he eyed his weapon suspiciously where it now lay on the ground, the same as always. He nudged it with his foot just in case though.

“A lot of others would have fallen to that kind of attack.” Moody growled, as he floated the staff weapon into the hands of its owner. “Constant Vigilance is one of the reasons that we’re even alive today.”

“That, and our training.” Bra’Tac countered his new found friend. “Never underestimate the use of training, for constant training it lets you be ready to deal with the problem. Even if your mind is scared you will not hesitate, but will act.”

“Knowing where they are is more important though, allows you to get the drop on them and to turn the tables on them when they come up behind you.” Moody countered to the First Prime. “Being prepared for them coming and all that.”

Bra’Tac laughed at this. “Let us agree to disagree then friend Mad-Eye of England.”

“I think that I can accept that.” The man said. The two had a number of bumps bruises and scratches, but bore their new injuries with the pride and craziness of one who had earned their pains. Bra’Tac walked with a limp, and one of his hands jerked a bit while Moody stumped along with a hole in his shoulder and another in his side.


Voldemort turned at the sound of apparation, he cocked his head at the four Death Eaters that were a grimy mess. The four fell to the ground at the feet of their Lord and Master. “Report.” The Dark Wizard snarled at the groveling group.

“Master,” one of them said, “our force was destroyed, we barely made it out with our lives.”

“And who did this?” The Slytherian heir hissed coolly at the Death Eater.

“The blood traitor Moody, and some old muggle dressed in some type of armor tore through both our muggle and wizard troops my Lord.”

“I see, I sent 15 wizards and 25 of those muggles, and yet you failed to deal with two old men?”

“Y-y-yes my Lord.” The Death Eater whimpered out.

“Crucio!” The Death Eater jerked, and screamed as his pain receptors were toyed with. “I reward those that do a good job, but I will punish those that fail me.” The Wizard snarled at the wizard in anger.

“Yes Master.” the Death Eater said, as the man was released from the curse. The Death Eater scampered away before the Dark Lord decided to renew the curse.

The Dark Lord stalked toward a large double window and looked outside. “Fortunately, I did not expect that plan to bring out the best of results, though it should have done better than what it did.” The Dark Lord turned to shoot a scathing look at the Death Eaters that had failed him. “I have made use of our time here though, and have found a use for one of this town's great-unused resources. With this resource I shall destroy the Blood traitors, the halfbloods, Mudbloods and muggles that dare to stand against the First.” Voldemort smirked cruelly as he stared out the window. “And now we destroy them.” The wizard said, raising his wand and began chanting a spell.
Sign up to rate and review this story