Categories > Original > Horror >

Chapter 5

by owlicesezhoot 0 reviews

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Published: 2012-12-25 - Updated: 2013-04-20 - 1256 words

0Unrated
It's an unusually cold morning for September, and so it takes me a full extra 15 minutes to mentally prepare to get out of my warm bed. Thanks to this I have to run around like a headless chicken so as not to be late for school, resulting in my skipping breakfast. Thankfully mum takes pity on me and drives me into school, saving me the icy treck.
When I get to the  common room, I rustle up some hot chocolate, get out my laptop and begin quietly singing along to my iPod. After checking my emails and scanning through my history essay, I finally look up and to my embarrassment notice I'm not alone in the room. Oh, and to make things worse, guess who's joined me...? I quickly yank out my headphones and will away the colour in my cheeks. 'enter shikari, right?' Kyle looks up from the textbook in his hand and flashes me a wolffish grin. 'yeah.. I'm surprised you could tell to be honest, what with my singing ability...'
 'dont worry, I'm definitely worse.' 'unlikely.' I reply 'I've been known to send cats running in fear.' I decide right there that I could get used to his smile. He really is very attractive, in a rugged, wild kind of way. his laugh is even better, a husky sound that matches his wolfy smile. I tentatively smile back at him before asking, 'you like enter shikari? What other bands are you in to?'
 'well, I guess I like anything between punk rock and metal, but my favourite at the moment is probably deaf Havana. How about you?'
 'well, pretty much the same actually, although at the minute I can't stop listening to the new falling in reverse album.' 
'oh, cool, I've been meaning to get that...' 
'um.. You could borrow it if you like...' 'really..? That'd be awesome! It's Hayley right? like paramore?' 'yeah.. How'd you know?' 
'I heard the art teacher say it on Friday.'
 'oh right. Okay well, Kyle yeah? I'll bring it in for you some time... Well, I need to go hand in a maths paper, so..... I'll catch you later?'
 'I'll make sure of it.' he says with another smile, his dark eyes twinkling. 

The encounter leaves me somewhat scrambled, something about him just makes me feel nervous, but at the same time I can't stop thinking about him. I'm still trying to work him out when Aaliyah arrives, dragging me out of my thoughts. 'hey faggot, what's up?you look kinda lost..' she greets me, flopping into the seat next to me. 'oh... I was just thinking I guess....' she rolls her eyes, 'abouuuuut...?' looking around I realise the room is now crowded with noisy teenagers, and Kyle has disappeared. 'never mind. I can make a good guess.' she says, wriggling her eyebrows at me. I jab her in the ribs, but nevertheless feel the heat rising in my cheeks. 'way to prove my point hayles..' shes laughing now. 'what points this?' of course. Percy's arrived in time to join in humiliating me. 'oh, Hayley was just daydreaming about Kyle again, weren't you?'
 'I was NOT!' they're both laughing now and seeing my denial is only making it worse, I clam up and cross my arms huffily. 'whatever. c'mon, bells gonna go any second.' I stand up and start for the door, the other two trailing behind still giggling. I almost slam the door in Jakes face because of my mood, not noticing him in front of it. 'woah hay, who pissed in your coffee?' exasperated, I jab a thumb over my shoulder, and stomp off towards the art block. Luckily none of them take art, so I've an hour free of taunts ahead of me.
I relax the minute I enter the art room, greeted by the familiar smell of paint and white spirit. I head to the back row, grabbing my folder on the way, and take my usual seat. Pretty soon I'm absorbed in my little drawing bubble with my earphones in, barely noticing the rest of the class coming in and scrabbling around. It's almost the end of the lesson, and I've nearly finished the sketch I'm working on, when I sense the presence lurking over my shoulder. Yanking one earbud out, I turn in my chair and glance up. Oh boy. 'you know that's amazing, right?' Kyle says quietly, with a shy smile. I look back down at the scene forming on the paper In front of me, once again feeling the heat in my cheeks. 'Er... Thanks...' I glance quickly in his direction again, only to find his dark eyes already gazing back. 'seriously. Whatever you lacked in singing you certainly make up for here. And then some.' I'm pretty sure I couldn't go any redder if my life depended on it. I have no idea what to say to this so I just shrug awkwardly and offer a sheepish smile. 'where'd you learn to draw like that?' he asks earnestly. 'um.. I guess I've kinda always drawn. It's like my own kind of therapy...' why the fuck did I tell him that?! Now it sounds like I need therapy. Shit, this isn't going well. 'don't worry,' he smiles at my furrowed brow, 'I know exactly what you mean. I get the same thing playing my guitar.' really? Hot, into the same music as me, AND he plays the guitar? This is unreal. 'ive always wanted to learn an instrument.' I say, navigating away from the increasingly awkward conversation. 'but much like my vocals, you could say it doesn't come naturally.' this makes him smile. Damn it's cute. 'you can't be that bad. Practice makes perfect remember? Maybe I could give you a few lessons...' yes please. 'really? You'd do that? I'd be a lost cause though.' I get out a shaky laugh, unable to hold his gaze for more than a second. 'yeah. I would. Besides, challenge is supposed to be good for the soul right? What better challenge could I get?' another flash of that smile. 'well, I'd love that.  it's your time to waste I guess.'
 'awesome.' he says, with true enthusiasm, before reaching out and taking the pencil I've subconsciously tucked behind me ear. 'can I get your number then, Hayley with the blue hair?' This is the last thing I'm expecting, and I'm left gorming like a fish while my brain processes what he's said. Realising he's waiting, I snap back into play mode, and reach out shakily for the pencil. Scribbling my mobile number on a scrap of paper, and handing it to him just as the bell for break rings. I hastily shove my stuff back in my bag and am the first one out of the room. I'm still utterly she'll shocked by what just happened, when my phone rings. Pulling it out of my pocket I shove it to my ear 'hello?' 'hey. Just checking if it was actually your number you gave me.' turning round I see Kyle, still standing in the art room window with his phone to his ear. I can't help but smile at him. Then I cram my phone back into my pocket and head back to the common room, in a trance like fashion. 
Sign up to rate and review this story