Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > The Art of Song

Musings

by -lIzZy- 0 reviews

Hera finally explains to the titans what's been bothering them for the past two days, and tells them their new mission.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-07-27 - Updated: 2006-07-27 - 1168 words

0Unrated
"Hera?" asked Artemis, "have you told the children yet?"
"When have I had time?" she asked. "I've been trying to contact Calliope for the past three hours. Artemis...we need to find them, and we need all the help we can get! The Dorium will take place and someone must be there to challenge them."
"But who has a good enough voice to beat the Muses?" asked Artemis. "After all. It's been over a Millennia since the Muses have granted such a voice."
"But it must exist or else they never would have come back!" said Hera.
"Call the children Hera," she said, "they'll need to know what they're looking for. At least we can tell them that they won't have to worry about Cronus...for a while anyways. It affects him too right?"
"I don't know Artemis, I really don't know!"

*
After Jay had come back from his morning run, he was surprised to find the gods waiting for him in the dorm. As far as he could tell, the others had already been assembled, and someone had given Jonathan a chore to distract him from what was taking place in the living area.
"Hey guys, what's going on?" he asked wiping the perspiration from his face.
"Jay," said Hera, "You have a new mission to contend with for the moment. One that takes foremost attention to, and one that you will need to place all your spare time into!"
"What is it?" he asked.
"Has anyone ever heard tale of the Dorium in Messenia?" she asked hesitantly.
"The singing competition held by the Muses?" asked Jay. "Where Thamyris the minstrel was bereft of his eyes and minstrelsy when he lost?"
"The very same one," said Artemis.
"Well," said Hera, "it seems as though the competition has resurfaced...and we need to find someone to take the place of competitor, before the Muses are insulted and reek havoc over...all the world."
"So what?" asked Neil, who couldn't help voicing his opinion over the subject, "We're supposed to hold auditions like American Idol, and blindly choose who to compete?"
"Not at all...you're going to...find the person with the gift," she explained sighing. "The gift of the Muses. A voice so pure it could make a person do whatever the holder wanted it to, a voice that could carry a tune with instruments without even having a band. A voice..."
"That doesn't exist," scoffed Neil. "Do you think a person with that kind of talent wouldn't have been recognized?"
"We'll it has, or else this competition would never have come about." She started pacing, which was out of character for the queen of the Gods. "I trust you'll take this seriously, for there will be dire consequences for all who are among the living Gods and all if you fail.

After the Gods had left the dorm remained silent. No one wanted to say anything, and no one wanted to think about the feat ahead of them. Jay was the first to speak, "Well, I guess we have a new mission for the moment...any ideas on how to find such a singer?"
The others looked from one to the other, with a slightly shamed face as they remembered their earlier exploits into their leaders living space. Looking from one to the other, he knew something was up, and when he managed to get one of them alone he'd find out the answer.
"I guess we should get ready for school," said Theresa, "we don't want to be late for today's presentation."
"Speak for yourself," muttered Jay moodily, remembering his cousin. "So is everyone going clubbing tonight?"
"Yeah!"
"Right...best not be late for school then," he said walking to his room. As he grabbed for the door, his cousin emerged greeting him.
"Cousin...you've quite an array of goods in here, I'm surprised!"
"What do you think you're doing in there?" he asked angrily.
"Nothing...see you at school Cuz..." unbeknownst to him, that a photo album, among other things, had just been removed from his room. "Don't be late you hear." A fraction in time later:
"Where'd my letter go?"

*

School went by much as it had the day before...Theresa had been serenaded by Jonathan; Mr. Bigglesworth made a fool of himself, and Neil had fallen asleep. The only difference was at night at the Brass Monkey, where some secrets were about to be revealed, but before that was to take place...

Back at the dorm Theresa and Atlanta were getting ready for the party that night in Theresa's room, when a conversation took hold.
"Isn't Jonathan's music amazing?" asked Theresa when they had gotten home.
"I know," answered Atlanta, "it flows so smoothly."
"Do you think maybe he's the...
"He could be," responded her red headed friend, "but I doubt it."
"Why do you say that," asked Theresa.
"Because I don't think his voice could do everything Ms. Hera explained to us earlier."
"I guess you're right, but it's just so...so..."
"Amazing?" asked Atlanta laughing. "Or is the singer who is just so...so..."
"Atlanta! I do not like Jonathan like that!"
"No, only Jay right," she said smirking as her friends face erupted in a ferocious red blush.
"No!" she said unconvincingly, "besides you're one to talk...try and tell me you don't share particular feelings for a certain purple haired friend of ours."
"What's that?" asked Atlanta. "Sorry! Love to stay and chat, but I think Archie's calling me," she said running off leaving the question open.
She walked over to the couch where Jay was sitting at, and sat down beside him, and if she had eyes at the back of her head, she'd have been sure to notice the gigantic smirk on Atlanta's face.
"So have you been to the Brass Monkey before?" asked Theresa conversationally.
"Yes...No...Why? Have you heard something?" he asked all of a sudden tense and uneasy.
"No just a question Jay!" she said slightly confused, but then whispered, "what's been eating you these last few days?"
"Nothing, just the whole...nothing's been bothering me what makes you ask?"
"You're a terrible liar Jay, stick to the truth it's what you're good at," she said smiling on the outside.
"In that case, I'd be lying if I said you didn't look good tonight."
"Th-thank you," she said blushing. "You don't look to bad yourself."
And from behind Atlanta's voice could be heard saying, "not that you two aren't cut to watch, but we've got plans remember, but we'll understand if you guys want to take the night off to..."talk with each other."" And at that the hallway erupted in laughter.
This was going to be a long night thought Jay to himself.

_________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoy reading this story as much as i enjoy writing it

please R&R

Oh and for those who aren't sure whatever happened to the letter...it should come into effect within the next two chapters
Sign up to rate and review this story