Categories > Original > Humor > Army Of Two

Chapter 7. (Forest)

by ImAFlyingDonkey 0 reviews

Category: Humor - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-01-25 - Updated: 2013-01-25 - 672 words

0Unrated
Chapter 7.

I rushed up the stairs. Noting the way that the poplars had gone. I naturally went the other way. To escape to my little space at the back of the library so I could just get to grips on what just happened. Why had Kent helped me. I mean Kent Eastwood. The boy who hang out with the poplars. The boy who hardly knew me. I never used to like him. But he had changed my mind.
I didn’t even have to think about where I was walking. It was like a sixth sense knowing where the library was. I just kept my head down and walked. Relying on my fringe to cover my face enough so that no one would take notice of me. I seemed to work. I arrived at the steps and hurriedly clambered up them.

The library was quite a vast. With endless tall bookshelves. And tall walls, which leaded up to a stunning glass ceiling. It so old fashioned and beautiful. Not a computer in sight. They were all down the hall, kept separate from the traditional parts of the school. I had to admit the school was a grand place.

Once a Georgian mansion, with tree’s all over the six acre grounds. In its prime it had one hundred and twenty acres. But in the space of a hundred years bit by bit it was sold off to the council, making room for parks, football and rugby grounds, modern churches, town halls, a city centre and new houses. Funny as I lived in these houses. The huge building must have been stunning in its hay day. But now it was a whore homing ground, and a stud central.

Heather Little. The librarian was in her usual place. Sitting behind the front desk. She looked very much like an owl. With her huge round glass’s perched tediously on the end of her bird like nose. Her plump body sitting up right as she blatantly read her way through another racey read’s. Which we painfully tried to disguise as the Sun newspaper.

“Hi Heather.” I said cheerfully. When I said I didn’t have friends. I wasn’t counting Heather. But admitting my only human friend was a middle aged librarian isn’t really an accomplishment and nothing I would admit to everyone.

“Hey Forest!” Heather replied. “How’s everything at home??” Heather was the only person who truly new me. I told her almost everything!!

“Yeah. Dad was out again last night, but I’m-” I began
“How’s little Arnie??” I loved Heth but she did cut me off a lot.
“Yeah he’s fine.” I said laughing to myself. As I spoke quickly before she had a chance to talk over me again.

“That’s good dear. Get here all right??” she asked, knowing I always have a little trouble walking by myself.
“Yeah, same as.” Before I told you a her tell almost everything. Yeah emphasis on the ‘almost’. I wasn’t going to tell Heather about Kent just yet. Just in case it jinx’s it.

“Well them my love. Not long to hang about now. The bell’s just gone. You cant be late for maths now can you.” She was just amazing how she remembered my time table better than I do. “Maths is the most important subject. Not always every ones favourite but you cant get anywhere with out it. Well not if you don’t want to be a school librarian.” she winked at me. “Go on, get to it!!”

I left the room, but just couldn’t help myself.
“You know Heather, the library could do with a new coat of paint.”
“Really??” she said looking puzzled.
“Yeah.. Maybe fifty shades darker.” of course I had seen what book she was trying to hide.
“You cheeky little bugger!! Go on!” she chuckled. I had left the room already but I did hear her mutter “Sweet kid” before I was out of ear shot.
Sign up to rate and review this story