Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 25: The Word Is Out

by sgSixx 0 reviews

tensions mount. seth gets injured and must remove his wrist bands

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2014-01-07 - 3824 words

1Insightful
CHAPTER 25: THE WORD IS OUT
November 1, 2008
Tempe, Arizona

It was the usual wild free for all induced by massive quantities of drugs. Groupies huddled around the guys willing to attend to their ever want, need, or desire. D looked across the crowded smokey room to see Seth. He was standing there drinking a beer and laughing at something Danny had done. Some groupie slut was pressed to Seth with a death grip on his arm. D knew the stupid girl actually thought he was into her. He had a way of always making them think that. She could see that he was basically unaware that she was even there. Yet, she knew Seth would be sleeping with her tonight. That fact couldnt help but hurt. She hated watching girls with their paws all over him. She hated it even more when he touched them back.
"Hey D," A voice said from over her shoulder. She turned to see some roadie. He was cute and the thought she had some vague memory of sleeping with him. However, she couldnt remember what his name was. He smiled and extended an ice cold beer out to her.
She conjured up a smile and took the beer. "Thanks...um... she stammered trying to remember his name.
"Adam," he said looking down with marked dissappointment on his face.
"Right," she said trying to smile again, "Adam." She concentrated on his face for a moment. "Providence?" She asked wondering if that was the city she had slept with him in.
"Hartford," he corrected, "close though."
D nodded and tried to discretely watch Seth from the corner of her eye The floosy had her tongue in his ear now. D turned back to Adam and tried to give an interested smile. She fumbled with a bullet type necklace that hung around her neck. It was her pill holder when she couldnt take her bottle with her. She dumped two bars of Xanax into her palm. She tossed them in her mouth and washed them down. She twist the cap back on and looked back at Adam trying to appear attracted to him.
"I think the guys will be busy for a while," she motioned with her head over her shoulder to the bus. Her eyes couldnt help but glance once more in Seth's direction. His eyes looked up from the groupie sleaze to meet with hers. They locked seeing the hurt in one anothers eyes. D couldnt take it and turned her gaze away from him back to Adam.
Seth watched in agony as D took a step closer to Adam and planted a kiss on him. He didnt want to watch but he couldnt seem not to. He was jealous watching her kiss some other guy. This guy was nothing. He wasnt the kind of guy she should have been spending any time with. He watched as they exited the room arm in arm under a barrage of flashing cameras. He hoped none of those pictures found their way to Schylus. He was hard enough on her as it was. He could hear the groupie whispering something in his ear but he was paying her zero attention. His focus was only on D.
"Seth," smiled Heather as she tried to pull his face toward her. His eyes didnt want to leave D. "What do you say we get out of here? Ive got some meth."
Seth glanced at her and nodded. "Tina comin?"
"Do you really want her to?" Heather asked sounding a bit dissappointed. She didnt want to share him.
"She 'spose ta score some methadones for me," he replied, "Ya,s seen her?"
Heather shook her head no. "Not since before sound check."
Seth sighed.
"Come on. I promise ill take your mind off it," she devilishly grinned. She lift herself up on her tip toes in an attempt to kiss him. She knew he never kissed anyone but D.
He quickly shifted his head to the side. "Kissin's too personal," he blandly replied.
Heather sighed in defeat and backed away, "Whatever...I know Im not your precious D."
His eyebrows drew together. "What dats spose ta mean?" His tone seemed defensive.
Heather huffed, "Oh come on, the whole world knows you have this...unofficial thing."
"She my best friend," he swiftly corrected her.
"Sorry...jeeze," she said running her hand over his chest, "I didnt realize it was such a touchy subject to you."
He sighed looking away, "I's jus want some pills."
"Tina will be along soon," she tried to assure him, watching his demeanor closely. "That shits's starting to get to you...isnt it?"
"What?" He asked as he nervously chewed his thumbnail.
"The dope," Heather replied. "Look at you, its all you can think about."
"Naw it aint," he sharply retorted, "I's thank bouts plenty a otha shit. Dats why I be wantin em...ta shuts my brain down."
"Well, opiates are a hard thing to shake once you get a taste for them," Heather tried to explain.
"How you's know? Dis advice from a meth head? Thank it be safe ta say dat shit gots you...dont you's?"
Heather only looked to the ground. Seth was right. She was just as hooked on that as anyone was anything. "But I can function without it," she said with a false sense of confidence.
"An when You's do dat?" He said snidely.
Heather looked at him shaking her head. "Would you listen to how irritableou are? Its just because youre fiending."
Seth rolled his eyes shaking his head.
"Come on," she smiled tugging at his hand, "Lets just get out of here. We can go wait for Tina some place a little more quiet."
Seth reluctantly went with her.

"Hey sexy," smiled the yellow haired Madison as she lowered herself onto Brian's lap.
He wrapped his arms around her back and smiled warmly at her. "Hey you." He actually seemed happy to see her.
She bent over and kissed him lightly on the lips. The two of them had been spending alot of time together, and it wasnt all sexual.
"So," she smiled, "you wanna spend all night back stage, or do you wanna get this after party started? I managed to score some acid. You want some?"
Brian nodded with a smile as his arms still held her. "Lets rent a room some place," he suggested.
Madisons smile got wider. She liked the sound of that. It meant he was willing to spend extra cash just to be alone with her. She thought and hoped that maybe he was coming around and starting to like her. Maybe it was possible for him to see her as more than some groupie. She really hoped so.

November 5, 2008
Denver, Colorado

D and the guys were all on the bus tonight getting ready to go out on stage. The stadium's heat was busted and it was freezing. The only thing heating the place was stage lights and the heat from about 50,000 fans. They were scheduled to be on the stage in about 15 minutes. The opening act was already 45 minutes into their set. Their last minute preparations were being made.
Seth sat doing rails of coke that a fan had thrown through the window as their bus pulled in. He looked out the window to the snow covered ground. His thoughts were soon distracted by the guys whistling. He looked up to see D emerging from the bathroom dressed for the stage. She was wearing a frilly spanish looking skirt that was red and black. Her top wasnt even a top at all. It was instead an enormous amount of necklaces adorned with red beads and jewels. They were all intertwined and barely covered what he knew was underneath. She passed censorship, but barely.
"Damn D!" Martin piped up, "how are you gonna dance in that without getting arrested?"
"You are so gonna show your boobs," Danny said staring at her.
Smiling, D knew better. She decided to give them some dance moves right there in the aisle, making sure to bounce enough to expose herself if she were going to. Amazingly they didnt get the first boob shot.
"Now," she smiled at the completion of her dance, "did you see anything?" She looked to each of them one by one, waiting for a response.
"How the hell did you get the beads to stay put?" Brian asked with a puzzled look on his face.
Seth could only smile at how astonishingly sexy she was. He would like to know too how she got the beads not to move. Maybe he could find out once he got on stage and dancing with her.
"Magic," she shrugged and walked past them to exit the bus.
"Dont you get cold out there?" Danny asked filing in behind her.
"The stage lights and the dancing keep me warm," she explained.
Jim Jay was standing just outside the bus door. "Watch your step Miss D," he said stopping her. "Theres ice on the sidewalk." He extended his hand out for her to take and gently glided her down off the bus.
The whistling commensed as the roadies caught sight of D. The guys began exiting the bus behind her. Seth remained seated on the bus watching her walk away until she was no longer visible to him. She looked really amazing tonight. He was definately curious about those beads.
"Coming dude?" Brian asked noticing he was in a daze. "HELLO? SHOW!" He flayed his arms trying to get Seth's attention.
Seth nodded and jumped up to follow Brian off of the bus. He was determined to get to the bottom of the bead mystery. Upon taking his first step off of the bus his heel hit ice and his legs flew out from under him. He fell backwards onto the steps of the bus. His back hit the edge of a step hard. He heard, maybe he just felt a snap and winced in pain.
"Dude, you ok?" Brian asked turning around to see that he had fallen.
Seth's eyes were squint shut as he reached his hand around to the ribs in his back. "Gets Doc," he moaned out in pain through clenched teeth.
Brian rushed off to get Dr. Gibbons as Martin and Jennifer stayed behind to try to help Seth up.
"Where do you hurt dude?" Martin asked.
"Back," he said with the discomfort easily distinguished in his voice. He tried to move around to find a position that was less painful. It was of no use.
Moments later Brian returned with Dr. Gibbons.
"Seth, can you move?" He asked kneeling over to examine his condition.
Seth only nodded as he continued rolling around trying to get a handle on the pain.
"I cant examine you here on the steps. We have to get you up."
After much struggle and cursing Brian and Martin were able to pull him back onto the bus. He yelled out in pain at every movement. They were all worried.
"Show me where it hurts," Dr. Gibbons instructed.
"'Ere dawg," Seth moaned holding onto his back.
Dr. Gibbons began feeling around the spot he was holding. When he hit the right spot Seth belted out in pain.
"Seth are you ok?!" Jennifer frantically asked.
"I dont think you can perform tonight," Dr. Gibbons said, "You need to go to a hospital so we can get an X-ray and see whats going on."
"Doc...it'sa rib," he pant, "truss me I know."
"I really cant say without the X-ray. We need to get you to a hospital."
"I gots ta do da show Doc," he moaned.
"You cant do a show with a broken rib," the doctor warned.
"Yeah," Jennifer agreed, "performing right now is just crazy."
"I's done had plenty a broke ribs...jus tapes dat shit up...gives me somethin for da pain...I gots dis."
"You sure dude?" Brian asked.
"We should just cancel the show," Martin frowned.
"Naw," Seth groaned, "I's know me some broke ribs. Jen, go an find D...tells 'er ta dance an stall da crowd," he instructed.
"No, you have to go to the hospital," she answered in a worried tone.
"I's straight long as i can breathe...jus gots ta get braced. I'sll be stiff a few weeks, then I's gone be straight."
Jennifer apprehensively did as Seth asked.
Dr. Gibbons began removing his shirt over his head. He grit his teeth together tight. Just the movement of his arm was excruciating. It took all he had to bare the pain.
"Man, are you sure about this?" Martin asked Seth, "You should listen to Doc and just go to the hospital."
"I's straight," he winced, "jus go. Plays somethin D can dance wit." He grunted in distress his voice trying to crack as he spoke, "Jus go before da fans gets all crazy an shit."
Martin reluctantly shrugged, "Alright dude."
"Can he perform Doc?" Brian cautiously asked.
"He doesnt appear to have a punctured lung if this is indeed a broken rib. I can brace him and give him something for the pain but he cant get out there and go crazy. He has to take it easy out there so a bone doesnt shift." He directed his attention to Seth, "But after the show youve got to go to the hospital."
Seth vigorously nodded as he held his breath.
"Ok dude," Brian sighed as he and Martin headed off for the stage.
"Seth," Jennifer pleaded, "just go to the hospital...please."
"I's straight Jen," he moaned under his breath, "I's got dis."

FAITHLESS!!!FAITHLESS!!!FAITHLESS!!!
The crowd roared out in a continuous chant.
D looked to Danny standing next to her at the side of the stage wondering where everyone else was. Soon she saw Brian and Martin approaching.
Brian walked up to her. "Seth's hurt. Youve gotta go out and dance...stall the crowd until Doc gets him fixed up."
"What happened?" She asked with genuine fear and concern.
"Think he broke a rib," Brian answered, "so dance," he motioned to the crowd as he went for his guitar.

"Ok," Dr. Gibbons said, "Im going to give you a shot of Morphine. If I give u too much you wont be able to perform. Its just gonna be enough to take the edge off. Are you sure you dont wanna cancel?"
"Do it dawg," Seth grimaced as he eagerly waited for the shot. After the injection was complete he managed to successfully raise his arm up and lock it behind his head. Dr. Gibbons began bracing his torso.
After completing he looked up at Seth, "Youre set...how do you feel?"
Seth managed to pull his shirt on himself. "A'ite," he nodded standing up rather effortlessly.
"Come on Seth," Jennifer sighed, "Just cancel the show."
"Naw, Is straight," Seth shook his head. "Doc...gives me some mo morphine."
Dr. Gibbons looked at him knowing he didnt need it for the pain. If he was in pain he wouldnt have been able to stand so easily. He knew he just wanted to feel high. And it was true. Seth loved the way the morphine was making him feel all warm and safe. He wanted to feel it just a little bit more. Dr. Gibbons prepared the needle. Seth extended his arm out, anticipating the shot. He wanted more so bad that his mouth was watering for it. Seth felt the needle sting and pierce his skin. He sighed deeply in sheer joy. It began spreading through his entire body all warm and fuzzy. He rubbed his side gently and prepared to exit the bus, much more carefully this time. He could hear the distant hum of the music getting louder as he got closer. He knew he still had a moment to get loosened up.
He stood close enough to the side of the stage that he could see D out front dancing, seducing the crowd. She was seducing him too. He never had the opportunity to watch her dance alone. It was hard to watch her really dance when he was up there doing it too. It took most of his concentration to sing and dance with her at the same time.
The crowd roared with deafening approval as D finished her dance. She glanced over her shoulder to the guys to see if she should keep dancing. Her eyes caught a glimpse of Seth at the side of the stage. She gave him a questioning shrug to see if he was ok and ready to start the show. Seth nodded and drew in a shallow breath.
D stepped up to the microphone and spoke into it, "Ladies and Gentlemen," she nervously spoke into it, "The one and only...Seth Chandler!"
The crowd grew even louder as he walked out onto the stage. D could tell that he seemed stiff. His normal swaggering strut was sort of absent. He stepped up to the mic and waited for the chreeing and screaming to die down so he could talk.
"Wuz up Denva?!" He called out taking every last breath of air in him. The intensity of the crowd only grew. "Well Denva...Is kinda injured tonight...Yeah...seem you's got shitty weathah 'ere. I's slipped on some a ya ice out there...thanks I gots a broke rib..." He lift his shirt to reveal the black torso brace around him. "S'a iffin I's look stiff ya's know why...I's doin my best though."
The audience commensed cheering once again. Seth turned to the guys and nodded to start the show. He managed to get through it but it was by far one of their poorer performances. He was barely able to move so he had to reley on D to do it for the both of them. She could see that he was in pain. She could see his struggle to breathe and bellow out lyrics. She was worried but she knew Seth was no stranger to pain.

D accompanied Seth to the hospital, as did Jennifer. The X-ray revealed that Seth had a fracture above a previous break. D stood next to Dr. Gibbons looking over his X-rays on the wall of the ER. They looked on in total shock at what they saw. You could clearly see all the white calcium deposits where he had had breaks before. Dr. Gibbons could count 11 just from one view of an X-ray.
"Seth how did you get so many breaks? Dr. Gibbons asked him in disbelief having never seen so many before.
"Dat aint nothin Doc," he said reclining back in the bed in a stupid hospital gown, "You's should see my legs," he halfway chuckled.
D looked to him studying him. He seemed a little uncomfortable with them all gawking at his X-rays. They had made him remove all his jewlry and wrist bands when he was admitted. His wrists were very pale from the lack of sun in comparison to the rest of him. He kept nervously figiting and trying to keep them out of view. He acted like he felt naked without his wrist bands. Actually he was merely trying to go to great lengths to keep his scars hidden.
He sighed on a more serious note, "Six a em's from a wreck." D watched as his eyes floated across the room to stare at nothing. "Some not," he faintly added.
D could see the distant look on his face. What had happened to him? He said only 6 were from his wreck. Where had the other 5 come from? Were there even more breaks that the X-rays didnt get an angle of She knew he had been a victem of child abuse...were these some of the results? Was some of it from sports? She could see him slipping away inside of his own head. She knew he wasnt going to tell them where all the breaks came from.
After a while a nurse came in with a blood pressure cuff. "I just need to get your blood pressure for your discharge," she smiled wrapping the cuff around his bicep. She then turned his arm over and placed a stethescope to the bend of his arm. His wrist was facing upward, exposed for all to see. He tried to discretely shove it under the covers. The nurse spotted it before he was able to. "Thats a bad scar," she said just in time for D to catch a glimpse of it before he had covered it up.
She could definately make out the scar tissue. It ran diagonally. She watched his eyes nervously bounce around and finally meet with hers noticing the recognition in them. He prayed she didnt put 2 and 2 together, but he knew it was too late for that. She wasnt stupid. He knew she saw it. Now she would ask questions. Why oh why had the hospital insist he take them off?

November 20, 2008
On the bus to St. Louis, Missouri

The bus rode down the interstate to the next show. They were all awake and amusing themselves by watching TV or reading. Brian was head first into a magazine. He seemed glued to it. His eyebrows began to wrinkle with confusion or anger, it was hard to tell.
"Hey guys," he eventually piped up and turned to face them all. "This is the newest Rock Press Magazine," he said holding it up for them all to see. "They have all of us on the cover but she story is just about Seth and D!"
"What do you expect dude?" Danny asked, "Theyre the ones out front every night."
"I expect at least a damn honorable mention or something!" Brian yelled as he threw the magazine onto the floor. He sighed staring at them all. "This is Faithless! Not the Seth and D dance hour!" He snapped, absolutely fuming.
"Dawg, dont go an gets mad now," Seth sighed, "you's da one who wanted a record deal. Ya's got it. Why you's still trippin?"
Brian barked, "I thought maybe, just maybe we might all get a little press!"
"Dawg you be doin interviews alls da time. You's thank I aint hearin fans chant dat 'Guitar Star' bullshit while you be playin dem solos?"
"Then why dont I ever read about it? Why is it that everytime I see the name Faithless a picture of you or D is right under it?"
"Bri," Devin sighed, "You get tons of fanmail.
"Fuck the fan mail Dev! Im talking about press!"
"Brian nobody is trying to steal your spotlight," D spoke, "Its like Danny said..."
"Word dawg," Seth nodded.
"The shits getting old," Brian shook his head and disappeared to the back of the bus slamming the door.
They all looked to one another confused.
"I guess I get to go talk to him huh?" Devin asked.
"Dats yo bff dawg,"Seth sighed, "Betta check his ass."
Sign up to rate and review this story