Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 46: A Whole New Lease On Life

by sgSixx 0 reviews

Second chances of happiness for all

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2014-03-05 - 3171 words

1Moving
CHAPTER 46: A WHOLE NEW LEASE ON LIFE
May 29, 2010
Sacramento, California

Seth was released from the hospital in Athens and escourted by private jet to a Behavioral Health Unit in Sacramento, California. By then Seth was already well into withdrawals. He felt like he was dying, like he wasnt strong enough to take it. Everything hurt. His mind couldnt help but race with thoughts of getting a fix. Dr. Gibbons offered to keep him sedated until they got him to Sacramento, but Seth refused. He knew he needed to take this all in. He knew he had to man up and just do this, his baby was on the way. He was engaged to D. Being a junkie wasnt as important as being a husband and father. If he didnt get straight he would just end up being Vera. He refused to play the part of her, or Corey Chandler.
When Seth arrived at the psychiatric hospital the first thought to cross his mind was how much it reminded him of juvy. First they led him through a series of electronically locked doors, pushing in codes at every door and checkpoint. Then they removed the laces from his shoes, then took his belt, necklaces, wrist bands, earrings, and anything else they deemed harmful. He was placed on suicide watch for 3 days due to being admitted as attempted suicide. The staff there pay no attention to Seth,s refusal of drugs. They forced him to take like seven pills a day, none of which did a damn thing to ease the withdrawals.
That night he sat in the center of his bed, covered in sweat and drenching the sheets. He was burning up one minute and cold the next. His body ached as his old breaks would do on a cold winter day, though it was spring. He was convinced his body was trying to die or something. He couldnt ever recall such pain. Vomit and diarrhea spewed from him simultaniously. All he could do was rock and moan and pray for it all to be over soon. He had to get through this. He had to show D he was ready to be a responisble husband and father. Now he just had to figure out how to be husband and father and Seth Chandler all at the same time.
He rocked back and fourth in the bed in sheer agony. Cravings for a fix tried to plague him but he fought the thoughts. When he drifted off to sleep it was but a cat nap. Dreams of getting high would wake him with feelings of guilt. Charlie horses Constricted the muscles throughout his body.
Seth fought to think of the baby. D had told him as he was boarding the jet that it was a girl. The thought of her warmed his heart and soul. He didnt even know the first thing about babies. He had never even held one before. He knew he could figure it out. He must have come up with a dozen name ideas for her an hour. He wanted her initals to be SC like him. He though about how opposite his and D's genetics were. He had black hair, she was a natural blonde. His eyes were deep deep hazle and hers a turquoise hazle. He couldnt wait to meet his daughter to see houw their genetics meshed. He looked forward to all the little surprises.

June 4, 2010
Sacramento, California

After extensive conversations with social workers and psychiatrists, they could only diagnose Seth with depression. They couldnt pinpoint any other abnormalities, disorders, or anxieties. However, the depression alone was enough to ruin his life. In its worst state it renders you to the point of suicide. It effected every aspect of your life. After many different antidepressants the fog of hopelessness he had been under began lifting.
However, this still didnt do much for the withdrawal. Once the physical part of it was finally over the mental part hit him in full swing. He still longed for the comfort that only came from the pinch of a needle in his arm. All he could do was use D and the baby as his motivation.

After 11 days Seth was trasnfered to a rehab facility and admitted into a 90 day program. It was more like 5 star hotel meets luxury spa and resort. It was full of A list celebrities like himself. Even Marla had been here before. He took lots of classes and was forced into alot of group therapy. In his free time he hit the gym there. He focused on returning himself to his former glory that the the heroin had taken away. He planned on walking out of that rehab as the sex icon the world wanted to see associated to the name Seth Chandler. He was well on his way. His color was back. He had put on some healty weight and was getting his muscles redefined. He was determined to be better than ever.

June 16, 2010
Los Angeles, California

"Lead vocalist for The band Faithless, Seth Chandler is said to be doing well today at a Celebrity Rehab facility in upstate California. Almost 3 weeks ago, while on tour in Athens, Greece, the rocker collapsed on stage. It was an overdose due to The prescription drug Dexedrine, Heroin and Cocaine. He was rushed by ambulance to a greek hospital. Sources close to the band say that Chandler was in fact, dead on arrival. After 7 minutes of being legually dead he was revived. The toxicity levels of the massive amounts of drugs in his system indicated to doctors that this was an apparent suicide attempt. We have been unable to confirm this.
Also there just may be a wedding in store for Singer Seth Chandler and now fiance, Dancer Darcy Blackwell. The two say they will make plans once Chandler is released from rehab.He is part of a 90 day program. Also it has been confirmed that the two will welcome a new baby girl into the world this fall."
Brian let out a sigh from his bed. The Tv had woke him up. Then he smelled something cooking...bacon maybe? He looked to Madison's side of the bed to find it empty. This told him she was most likely the one cooking. He sat up in the bed rubbing his eyes. He then stretched and with a big morning yawn, rose to his feet to go investigate. It wasnt like Madison to be in a kitchen.
"e started down the hall as other, more burnt smells began overpowering the bacon. He rounded the corner and could see Madison scurrying about the kitchen trying to do several things at once. On the stove he could see a black skillet with smoke pouring out of it. A timer on the oven was beeping. Madison was trying to mix batter for something real quick. He couldnt help but let out a soft chuckle. Madison spun around in shock. The smile on his face eased her a bit as she figit there not knowing what to say.
Eventually she shrugged, "I...I...I cant cook."
Brian's smile widened, "I think we can afford takeout."
Madison looked down smiling. She was so relieved he wasnt angry at her for burning the skillet or not knowing how to cook. She was just trying to make him breakfast in bed. Maybe she was trying too hard. Then again, maybe she wasnt trying hard enough. Granted things between them had been more plesant, but he still wouldnt touch her. It had almost been a year and no sex for either of them.

June 18, 2010
Sacramento, California

Seth wouldnt let D come see him in rehab. He wrote and called her every day. He just didnt want her to see him, not until he was back to a hundred percent. He worried what it would be like when he got out. The guys were all on drugs too. When they went back out on the road drugs would be around 24/7. It wasnt something he could possibly avoid. They were going to be anywhere rock stars were involved. Could he do this? Was he strong enough?
He had promised D. He wasnt going to break this promise. He loved her and he was going to marry her. When the baby came he would officially finally have a family. He wasnt going to be weak like Vera or duck his tail and run like Corey. No, he was going to do right by his daughter. His daughter... He was going to show them all, anyone who ever questioned if he was able to do what needed to be done.

June 24, 2010
Los Angeles, California

Martin stepped out of his corvette and walked around to open the door for Maggie. She stepped out seeing the nervous look on his face. She smiled warmly to him and straightened his hair.
"You nervous?" He asked her when it was clearly he who was nervous.
"No," she smiled shaking her head.
"Good," He says as they begin to walk up the front walk to his parents mansion.
"Everything will be just fine," she tried to assure him.
Martin nodded and drew in his breath, "But I know my mom...she always finds a way to rain on my parade.
"Oh come on and lets get it over with...We have an early flight to Kansas in the morning." Maggie sighed.
"Yeah yeah," he sighed reaching for the doorbell. "Here we go."
Moments later his parents were greeting them at the door.
"Hey son, Dom beamed hugging Martin.
"Marty," His mom burst forward hugging him as well.
"Here, we got you this," Maggie said extending a bottle of wine out to them.
"Oh thank you, I'll go pour some." Susan took the bottle and disappeared.
"None for me thanks," Maggie called out as Dom took her purse and sat it aside.
"Well son," Dom smiled leading them into the den, "How is Seth doing?"
"Getting well," Martin nodded.
"Thats wonderful, though I bet youre enjoying the break. They had you touring for so long."
"Yeah I am," Martin sighed sitting down.
"I was beginning to think they would never let them stop, Maggie sighed too, "They still find their ways to keep him pretty busy though, even without the touring."
Susan returned with three glasses of wine. "It is so good to see you both. Its been years since Marty has even stepped foot in this house."
Martin nodded, "Too long mom. It had in fact been five years.
"Were glad you found the time to stop by son," Dom smiled.
Martin glanced to Maggie and drew in his breath. "I actually came here to tell you guys something."
"Whats that?" Susan smiled at him attentively.
He looked to Maggie for the strength. She smiled to him and squeezed his hand. Martin looked to his parents. "Mom...dad... he hesitated.
They could see how nervous he was. What in the world was he about to spring on them? It had to be huge if he was this nervous. They didnt notice a huge diamond on Maggie's hand so they knew they werent getting married.
"What is it" Susan asked at the edge of her seat.
Martin exhaled slowly and just blurt it out, "Youre going to be grandparents."
Their faces were chiseled with shock.
"Youre having a baby?" Susan asked
Maggie nodded with a smile.
"Will you be getting married?" Dom asked.
Martin shrugged, "We havent really thought about that yet. I mean, yeah...probably so...I just havent asked her yet," Martin smiled to Maggie.
"Well you do know youre leaving that baby here with me when you go back out on tour, Susan gleamed.
Martin, rather surprised, smiled widely. He was shocked she wasnt completely opposed to this. He was really expecting some speech about him ony being 24 and too young. "Im really counting on that mom."
Susan began tearing up, "I cant believe out baby is having a baby."
"Congratulations son," Dom smiled, "I know youll be a great father.
"Thanks dad."

June 26, 2010
Los Angeles, California

Madison picked up Brian's cell phone and scrolled through his contacts until she came across his mom. She pushed talk and brought the phone to her ear. It rang twice.
"Hello," his mom Brittany answered.
"Mrs. Ward, hi...its Madison."
"Call me Brittany sweetie. How are you?"
"Um...fine," Madison sighed.
"You sure?" Brittany skeptically asked
"Well," Madison began, "See the thing is that its our anniversary today. I wanted to surprise him with his favorite dinner. Ive started taking cooking lessons to be able to do what a wife does...thing is...I dont know what his favorite food is..."
"Oh thats easy...lasagna...even TV dinner kind." Brittany answered.
"Do you happen to have a recipe?"
"Sure...And happy anniversary Honey. We are so glad Brian found someone as good as you. You treat him like a king."

Madison tied a big blue bow to the top of a large slender box. She hopped this surprise Anniversary evening wouls score her some brownie points and end this year long celebacy. They had been getting along fine for several months. Yet, they still werent your typical newlyweds. They had never argued about leaving the toilet seat up, or dirty dishes. Things ran pretty smoothly between them. In fact besides their lack of affection, their marriage was better than most.
Madison extended out to light a candle in the center of the table. She had worked all day to make him a lasagna dinner. She had bought him a gift she just knew he was going to love. She felt that she had pulled together a pretty good night. She hoped Brian wouls be pleased. She hoped to at least get one kiss out of him, just one. Coming from Brian it would be a tall order to fill.
Brian walked through his front door and tossed his keys aside. He had spent the entire morninh at a guitar shop downtown signing autographs. His arm and hand actually ached from signing his name so much. Now he felt a bit sympathetic for Seth and D, they signed autographs way more often. It was exhausting being cordial through all the pictures and questions. He was glad to be home.
Brian soon picked up the smell of garlic bread in the air. Madison was nowhere in sight but was apparently taking another stab in the kitchen. He Was worried what he may find. In the corner of the living room he saw a tall blue box with a big blue ribbon tied to it. He made his way over to examine it. A silver card hung from the bow. He opened it to see it simply read 'Happy Anniversary' He thought for a moment. It had been a year since Vegas. He sort of felt bad for forgetting.
His thoughts soon broke off to Madison entering the room from the corner of his eye. He turned to see her better. She was in a sexy red and leopard print dress. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "What,s all this?" Je asked motioning to the box propped against the wall.
"Your Anniversary present," she smiled nervously looking down.
Their eyes briefly met. "Im sorry," Brian shrugged, "I forgot...Im sorry."
"Oh its totally cool," she nodded. "Are you hungry?" She asked changing the subject. "I made you lasagna, your mom told me it was your favorite."
"You talked to my mom?" he asked giving her a puzzled look. His eyes began scanning the present once more.
"You can open it if you want," she smiled.
Brian didnt need a second invitation. He lay the box flat on the floor and hovered over it untying it. Once the bow was free he lift the lid from the box. Inside the box was a solid white guitar. Across it was the official game logo for Guitar Star. Brian's eyes lit up as he gently lift it from the bed and looked at it more closely. He looked down the neck checking for imperfections. It was as straight as an arrow.
"Madison," he said in awe, "This is too much," he said tracing his finger over the words.
She smiled and leaned in on the door frame, knowing he loved it. "Well luckily my husband is a millionaire...Turn it over," she then prompted.
Brian tossed it like he would in one of his stage moves, flipping it. Down the back of the neck was an inscription. It read 'For A Lifetime Of Dedication.'
"This is fucking awesome! What made you think of this?" He asked gleaming at her.
"Oh I dont know," she sarcastically shrugged, "maybe because people always chant 'Guitar Star' at you on stage. You did invent the game. And to this day you live and breathe guitar. Bri...you ARE the 'Guitar Star'."
"This is the coolest thing anyone has ever gotten me," He smiled admiring the guitar more.
"Play something," She smiled.
"Brian loved playing for people so he stuck his amp pack in the strap and pulled his shirt off. He threw the strap over his neck.
"What being shirtless helps?" she giggled.
Brian casually smiled as he placed his fingers as they should be. He reached into his pocket for a pic. He hesitated looking it over once more.
"Would just play the thing!"
"I just met her. I cant just grab her by the throat and go picking at her stings I gotta at least buy her a drink. Dont rush me." His smile was almost giddy.
Madison laughed. She knew his guitars were like his girlfriends. Each one with her own uniqueness. He said thats why he needed so many, because they all had different personalities. He even named them all. Things like Nasty Netty, Blue Betty, Emerald Saobaughn, Rita Red, Screaching Trina, and many others. Brian glanced up at Madison smiling in delight. He ran his fingers over the frets in a fast pace playing some quick riffs.
When he paused Madison asked, "So...are you hungry?"
"Oh right, I smell it. Smells great, where did you order it from?" He said gently laying the guitar on the couch and following her into the dining room where he takes a seat.
"I made it," She smiled sitting a plate down in front of him.
He examined it closly. It looke and smelled like lasagna. He lift the layers with his fork in careful examination. He looked to her with a furrowed brow, "This shit aint poisoned is itLH
"No," she giggled waiting in anticipation for that first bite.
He put a bite in his mouth and began to chew. She watched his eyebrows raise. "Wow. This tastes just like my moms."
"Her recipe," Madison shrugged.
"Well you nailed it...Thanks...for all this. Happy Anniversary."
"Yeah so I guess we should talk about our agreement huh?" She asked looking to her food.
Brian took another bite, "Not tonight."


Sign up to rate and review this story