Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 49: Completion

by sgSixx 0 reviews

enter silver chandler

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2014-03-13 - 3651 words

1Ambiance
CHAPTER 49: COMPLETION
September 3, 2010
New York, New York

Trey Reynolds looked up at the tall skyscraper before him, Havoc Records office. He felt swept with nervousness. It had been so many years since he had been there. He didnt really want to be there right now. He sighed and pulled his shades off. He took a few steps towards the building straightening his clothes. He drew his breath in and held it as he forced himself through the lobby doors and over to the receptionists desk.
"Good morning, welcome to Havoc Records," the woman said without even looking at him, "May I help you?"
Trey scanned over the pictures of the hundreds of rock stars on the wall behind her. He saw his own picture. "Yeah," he finally exhaled, "I want to see John Dempsey."
"Do you have an appointment?" She finally asked looking up at him.
"No," he said with a shy smile, "but I think he will see me."
"Your name?" She almost sighed.
"Trey Reynolds. Im the third one on the left on the fourth row behind you," he motioned to the wall behind her.
She turned to look. It really was him. "Im sorry Mr. Reynolds, just one moment," she said leaning forward to grab the phone. She got the ok and sent Trey up.
Trey stepped into the elevator. It looked just as he had last remembered it. He couldnt actually believe he was standing in it again. Then the elevator doors opened jarring his thoughts as he hesitated. "Come on Trey," he sighed to himself as he forced his feet to step forward. He made his way to John Dempsey's office. He drew in a breath and knocked on the door.
"Come on in Trey," he could hear him calling out. He sounded far too happy to see him. Trey's stomach fluttered. He felt like he was about to walk into the principals office or something. He found it in himself to turn the knob and go inside. John Dempsey sat there with a smug smile on his face.
"Trey...please come in...sit," he motioned to a chair, "I told them we hadnt seen the last of you."
Trey tensely sat down not wanting to look John Dempsey in the eye.
"So what is it that I can do for you Trey?" He beamed, "Business, I assume?"
Trey reached to the inside pocket of his jacket and pulled out an envelope. He removed the papers inside of it. "My contract," he says clearing his throat.
John folds his hands across the desk watching attentively. He just knew Trey wanted to re-negotiate.
Trey briefly glanced up at Mr. Dempsey's enthusiasm. He quickly looked back down to the contract in his hands. He sat it on the desk and forced himself to look back at John Dempsey. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "It says...in the even of my contracts expiration that I would no longer be able to have my label, Void Records. However, I would be free to re-sign to another company and establish another label by a different name and purchase acts as I saw fit. It also states that by reputable rights I could one day branch larger and break away from any mother company and be my own independant record company."
The smile on John's face was slowly diminishing. He was starting to see that Trey's visit didnt mean dollar signs for Havoc.
Trey reached into his other inside jacket pocket and pulled out another envelope. He tossed it onto the desk in front of John. "Metronome Records has agreed to release anything I wish from my new label, Phoenix Fire." He tried not to let the sarcasm show as he pulled on his poker face.
John only glared at the envelope before him. He finally looks up at Trey. "What is it that you want Trey?" He asks with a sigh seeming frustrated.
Trey smiled, "What do you think...I want to buy some of your talent."
"Oh?" John asks smelling money again and regaining interest. "Who?"
"I want Faithless," Trey said flatly and quite seriously, "before you kill them."
He gave Trey a snide chuckle, "Faithless isnt for sale."
Trey scoffed, "Everything is for sale with the right price. So how much? 25...50 mil?"
John leaned back in his chair, "They're not for sale," he said holding firm.
Trey reclined back trying to play cool. "You know I recently met Seth Chandler and his wife. We talked for some time. I can see what youre trying to do with those kids, youre trying to keep them loaded and on the road, just like you did me.I get it, work them like slaves while their popularity is up, and squeeze every penny you can out of it. Keep them too high to notice how you embezzle them. Then when you have them so fucked up they cant even play anymore, dump them for the next new thing. I want to help rid them of you so they can have lives. Those two kids deserve to be together."
"Faithless is ours, our best selling act. Why would we ever sell them...and to you?" He shook his head, "Theyre not on the table for discussion."
Trey looked at him and simply nodded. Did you ever read the paperwork from my counter suit against Havoc?"
John Dempsey sighed, "I was there or do you not remember because you were too drunk or too high."
Trey smirked, "Both most likely, but lets not forget who made me that way," he glared at him as he pulled yet another envelope from his pocket. "Then it must have slipped your mind that in the ruling you got rights to anything with the word Halo stamped on it...but Trey Reynolds was free to do as he wished. Then there were several little factors in fine print that my lawyers threw in. Hell I dont even know all of them, but one was, that to help establish myself as my own entity, Havoc records would surrender over to me three of its acts under contract for a fair price of course."
John sat up straighter in his chair and glared at Trey, "What are you suggesting?"
"Im not suggesting," Trey smirked, "We can do this the easy way, I give you cash, you give me Faithless, or we can do this the hard way with lawyers, depositions, court, and I take them anyway...Then there's a third possibility...I can have that bad work on so many side projects that it will overshadow them as a band all together because it was also determined by the court that a band could record solo efforts whenever and however they saw fit as long as the contracted logo of 'Halo', in this case, 'Faithless', not be used."
"Well naturally I wish to speak to our lawyers. They will find a way around your little loophole."
"I expect nothing less John," Trey smiled in victory as he stood, "my lawyers will be in touch if your lawyers need any help."

October 31, 2010
Los Angeles, California

Rain fell from the sky that dark Halloween night.The night wasnt much different than the night Seth had come into the world. This should have been a dreary day to celebrate his 26th birthday, but it hadnt even registered to him yet that it was even his birthday. He stood on a sixth story looking out a window to raindrops hitting cars in the parking lot below. Every so often he could hear a slight moan coming from behind him.
He looked over his shoulder to D laying in a hospital bed. Silver was making her debut tonight. Soon she would take her very first breath in that room. Seth was a nervous wreck which was odd. He was so quiet. Usually he would be of a calm demeanor in a situation like this. Usually his ease would be transferred to those around him. He had never felt more powerless. He looked to D covered in sweat and looking like she was in so much pain. He blamed himself of course. He felt so useless that he couldnt do anything to bring her any comfort.
"Baby...can I's gets ya anythang?" He softly asked.
D adamantly shook her head as she bent over in another contraction.It looked to Seth like it hurt so bad. It made him feel so small and insignificant. He wished there was something he could do. Maybe he should have thought about that 9 months ago when he was being so knowingly careless. However, despite how bad he felt for D he had no other regrets. He wanted a baby so bad. Maybe that made him as selfish as Brian.
Seth figit and looked around the room. It was a deep earth toned color. Big wide girly border edged the tops of the walls. The lighting in the room was quite dim, like that of a 5 star hotel. There were ruffled curtains on the windows that matched the paint in a contrasting hue. Then, like in any hospital room was the normal machines and gadgetry. Most of it was hooked to D. There were wires all over her. There was an IV in her arm pumping in fluids. A blood pressure cuff was on her arm checking her blood pressure every 15 minutes. There was a machine that printed out a bunch of squiggly lines that didnt mean a thing to Seth. Numbers on monitors and screens changed erratically, lights flashed and things beeped.
Seth nervously paced the room, examining things as he passed them. He pulled his phone from his pocket. It was 7pm. He assumed this would be a good time to send out a bulk text to let everyone know the good news. He sent it to the guys, Jennifer, Kasey, Javier, and even Trey Reynolds. He was so excited. He couldnt wait to scream it to the roof tops. He was a father! Now he had the family he always wanted and never thought he could have.
Ironically, it was Brian who called him back first. He said a few congratulating words before turning the discussion to business. He was concerned about Faithless touring with an infant. He also informed Seth of Martin and Maggie's upcoming arrival. Surprisingly, when Seth joked about him and Madison having kids it didnt upset him. He seemed open to it. Who stole Brian's soul and replaced it with a nice guy?

Four hours later the doctor was telling D it was time to push. Seth stood at her side on shaky legs holding her hand. The look on his face told D that he was clearly terrified. His eyes were larger than they were from a week long speed binge. Was he even breathing.
He gripped her hand tighter, "Dis it baby." Somehow he had managed to form a sentence to say to her.
D tried to smile but it came out as anything but happy. "It hurts so bad," she gripped his hand tighter.
Seth spoke calmly and soothingly to her, "Almos' ova baby...she almost here."
"She's crowning now," the doctor looked up, "Would you like to see?"
Seth vigerously shook his head, "Naw dawg, some thangs a guy aint spose ta see."
The doctor chuckled at his no. "Ok Darcy, I need you to push now."
D arched up and pushed hard. Seth watched as tears streamed from the corners of her eyes. Moments later she gasp for air and threw herself back on the pillows.
"Again," the doctor instructed.
"I cant," she cried out.
"Her head is out now, just a couple more pushes and the shoulders will be out," the doctor urged.
Seth looked to D and tried to radiate his fake calmness over her. "You's got dis baby."
D gave him a desperate look and arched up to push again. Moments later she gasped again and fell back panting for air. Then the sound of her pants were covered up by the sounds of a newborn infant crying.
"Can you see her?" D excitedly asked Seth. Seth seemed to not even hear her. His eyes were locked onto the spot the crying was coming from.
"Here she is," the doctor said laying her on D's stomach.
D examined her tiny little face. She looked up to Seth who just stood frozen with tears in his eyes. He carefully extended his hand out toward the baby. It was shaking worse than it did from being dope sick. He gently wiped a streak of blood form Silver's forehead. Here she was, beautiful and perfect.
"Would you like to cut the cord?" The doctor asked Seth extending scissors out to him.
Seth's eyes never faultered from Silver as he shook his head, "Do what yous do doc." He couldnt wait to hold his daughter in his arms. The shape of her nose and eyes matched his own. Her lips were D's. Her tiny little head was covered in brown peach fuzz.
"So what's her name?" The doctor asked cutting the cord.
"Silver Celest Chandler," D proudly smiled.
"Beautiful name for a beautiful baby, he said wrapping Silver in a blanket. "Ok, dad," he smiled up at Seth. "Would you like to carry her to the nursery while we get mom all cleaned up?"
Seth radiated as Silver was laid in his arms at long last. She was no bigger than a football. He was actually surprised by how little she weighed She weighed no more than a cat. Seth felt his heart swell with love as two tiny slits parted and squint up at him. It was too hard to guess what color they may have been behind their protective blue cataract.He lovingly bent over and kissed her soft fuzzy forehead.
"This way," a nurse smiled to him leading the way.
Seth followed her out of the room and down the hallway. He was too awestruck to pay attention to anything other than Silver in his arms. They walked into the nursery which was full of clear plastic incubators and bassinets. Seth was so enamored by Silver that he didnt even notice Martin, Maggie, Brian, Madison, Kasey, Jennifer, and Danny at the window on the other side of the glass with their faces to it peering in for a better look at the baby in which he held. Seth was too busy memorizing the veins in her eyelids, the thinness of her fingernails, and the curvature of her tiny ears. He was logging every detail to the same place in his brain where he held D. He ran his calloused fingers across her cheek with a smile. The culmination of his 26 years led to this exact moment. This was why he was born. The reason he had struggled, ached, laughed and loved was all for this. The answer to it all was right there in his arms. She was his purpose in life and reason for living.
Seth finally managed to look away from Silver's tiny perfect face to notice everyone fogging up the window next to him. He smiled the most beautiful and genuinely humbled smile any of them had ever seen him give. He stepped closer to the glass and tilted her body toward them. With his index finger under her wrist he made her wave at them. He watched them talk among themselves with bright smiles on their faces. She was probably the most beautiful baby any of them had ever seen before. She made Seth's eyes twinkle. He looked at peace. They had never seen him so content or without demons weighing him down. Seth himself had never felt more content. His heart was so full it was about to burst. Today was the only day of his life that had ever truely mattered. This was more important than falling for D, more important than fans screaming his name. Today felt as though it was the first day of his life, his second chance.
Eventually a nurse was able to pry the newborn from Seth's arms. He let go of her with great reluctance. She then led him out into the waiting room where everyone stood. They all rushed to him telling him congratulations on the beautiful baby. Seth gave them all the details and answered as that of a proud new father. They even joked at how he couldnt pronounce his own child's name properly. Seth was truly happy at last.

October 31, 2010
Austin, Texas

Trey sighed as he sat at a conference table listening to lawyers of opposing sides argue out details. This was something he had done before. He hoped he would never have to do it again. It was incredibly boring and he didnt understand half of the jargon they rambled about. He wondered why he felt so compelled to even do such. Like all, he had been completely magnetized by Seth. He impressed Trey. He had never met a guy his age, much less a celebrity one, seem to have such strong will.
The kid had everything going for him, just as Trey once had. But he knew where the road Seth was taking was going to inevitably lead him. Trey had lost every single person that he had held dear. He didnt want to see Seth go through that. Trey had regret slap him in the face every single day. The list of things he wished he could take back and change was a mile long. He couldnt change any of it, only live with the repercusions of his actions.
Trey's parents had not been bad parents by any means. They supported him in everything he had ever done. All they ever wanted was for him to be happy. Even when he started blowing them off to do his rock star thing they only said, "Ok son, we love you." No matter where on the planet he was he could count on a card at least for every holiday and birthday. Slowly the indulgences of being a young rock star took over. Fame complicates and confuses you. You start to see that people flock to your fame and your money and not you. Trey lost sight of who he could even trust. As the loneliness took over so did the dope. Then the day came that his parents showed up to a show out of the blue for his birthday. Trey had been so twisted on drugs for so many days straight that he didnt even realize it was his birthday. In some drug induced psychosis or something he accused them of only being there for money. He told them he hated them. He told them he never wished to see them again. Sadly, Trey got his wish. It had been 13 years now and he regretted it deeply.
Another loss for Trey was his best friend since grade school. In that case Trey was simply swept away by the rock and roll roller coaster. Trey could never seem to make time for his friend. They would schedule meetings to hang out but Trey would usually be so strung out that he would cancel. Trey was too ashamed to face him. Slowly they just quit speaking. Trey placed the blame solely on himself.
Perhaps his most important loss was the one that got away. Amy had been Trey's childhood sweetheart. They had been together all through high school. Everyone assumed that they would always be together. Trey had thought that too. But time on the road strained the relationship. In the beginning Amy would go along with him, but the rock and roll circus was too much for her. She hated the constant cameras and the fans and the women. Once Amy flew in to surprise Trey. By then the temptations of nonstop sex solicitations had become too much for him to resist. Amy walked in on him with some groupie. That was the last he ever saw her. Not a day went by that he didnt hope she was happy somewhere.
While Trey felt the need to help save Seth, he also looked at this from a business standpoint. Faithless was number one in most of the world. Everyone knew who Seth Chandler and Darcy Blackwell were. They were bringing in millions by the month to Havoc. If Trey was their boss he wouldnt push them the way Havoc did. Havoc had put them on the road for a year and a half, Trey would never ask that. He wanted them to have their freedom back. He wanted to see Seth have a good life. He would never be free of the spotlight, but Trey knew how to make it shine a little less bright.
Trey's thoughts were broke off as a price was named for Faithless.
"Ok...so wait," Trey said thinking a moment, "what youre saying is that they want 10 million per band member? Thats insane!"
The lawyer representing Havoc nodded, "Thats what they want and they arent budging."
Trey sighed and looked down to the table with a furrowed expression. "I need time."
He didnt have a clue how he was going to come up with the money. He didnt even know how long it would take him. Was it even a possibility? All he knew was that he had to try. He would start by getting his new label up and running. That would bring in some cash. Maybe he himself should release some new material. Maybe he could sign some of the bands he knew in Austin. He had to try to do something.
He felt his phone vibrating in his lap. He picked it up knowing it was an update from Seth on the baby. The words on the screen read 'Its a girl'.
Trey smiled softly. "If you gentleman will excuse me, I have to catch a flight to LA."
Sign up to rate and review this story