Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 21

by Balder 7 reviews

The Yule Feast.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2014-07-11 - 2669 words

5Ambiance
A Different Sort of Bond

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Potterverse!

Chapter 21
Harry was surprised at coming out of a floo upright, “I just found another benefit of us being connected. I always used to fall after leaving the floo before.”

Hermione gave an uncharacteristic giggle, “It’s true. He’s usually flat on his face after a floo trip and half the time he ends up on top of anyone that went before him. Have you told her about the first time you tried to floo yet Harry?”

“No,” Daphne said. “That’s one adventure he hasn’t related yet. Are you sure you can’t stay? You could tell me the story after dinner.”

Tracey smiled, “I’d like to hear it too.”

Hermione seemed to consider for a few minutes then shook her head, “If I hadn’t told my folks I was coming back early then I’d stay. It sounds like a very interesting holiday and I am interested in how wizards and witches celebrate the traditional holidays but my folks are expecting me and if I don’t show up they may get worried.” She shrugged, “If you have any others coming up this year let me know ahead of time and I’ll arrange to attend, alright?”

Daphne smiled and gave her a one armed hug, “Certainly Hermione, I’ve come to like you a great deal over the last few months. Stay safe and if you need us send a patronus and we’ll be there as fast as we can.”

“Thank you,” Hermione said and gave everyone a big hug before apparating away.

“Well come on Harry,” Daphne said, tugging on their joined hands. “Let’s go say hi to the folks and eat something. We won’t be able to eat anything from sundown on until dawn and I don’t want either of us getting too hungry.”

“Yes, dear,” Harry said.

Daphne led the way with Tracey and Neville bringing up the rear. The two apparent redheads were starting to show a bit, at least when out of their robes but the morning sickness had thankfully passed. When they reached the solarium they found both the Greengrass and the Davis parents.

Tracey rushed to hug her father while Neville hung back until Mrs. Davis caught his hand brought him forward. Mr. Davis shook his hand, “No need to be reticent son. I’ve been fully briefed on the incident. It wasn’t your fault but you still took responsibility. That shows honor and mature responsibility. You will always be welcome in my house.” After looking Neville up and down he smiled, “Although I must say I’m glad you agreed to a small ceremony. Explaining to wedding guests why it seems my daughter is marrying herself would be awkward.”

Neville smiled back, “I agree sir, that’s why I’m also glad for a small private ceremony.” He looked sad suddenly, “I just wish my grandmother was willing to come.”

“Don’t worry lad,” Mr. Davis said. “She’ll come around by summer, if only because she’ll want to see her great grandchildren.”

“We’ve decided to raise them as twins,” Tracey said.

“A wise decision,” her mother said. “Now come with us, we’ll go over to our house so you can meet the rest of the Davis clan and eat something before we come back over here for the ceremony.”

Neville nodded as Tracey called out, “Daph? We’re going for a bit but we’ll be back by sunset of course.”

Daphne called out from the other side of the room, “No problem Trace. See you then!”

Harry and Daphne had been relaying the tale of how the Unspeakable who was also a medical researcher had failed to separate them. After Tracey and Neville left with their parents Harry added, “Daphne has an idea though. She says that if we volunteer for making love on the altar the goddess will consider her plea to separate us. What do you think of the idea?”

If anyone had asked Harry a year before if he’d ever suggest to a woman’s parents that he have sex with their daughter in public he, well, he’d probably have fainted first and then when he woke he’d call them crazy. However there had been some changes made since then so he managed to say the whole thing in a pretty normal tone of voice. It did help that Mr. and Mrs. Greengrass were very unlike the Weasleys who were the only other pureblood parents he’d known well before the accident.

“That sounds like the best avenue you have left,” Mr. Greengrass agreed. “I certainly can’t see any other way to do it. I just hope Daphne doesn’t join Tracey in pregnancy. She may be a legal adult by wizarding standards today but she’s still too young to best deal with pregnancy. She has another year of school after this for one thing and for another she’s still maturing both physically and emotionally.”

Daphne answered that, “I agree father. I’d rather not get pregnant yet myself, but you know that Hecate frowns upon contraception spells used on the couple at the altar so I’ll have to take my chances. I just hope she grants our request.”

Mrs. Greengrass said, “I’m sure she will dear. You have been a faithful follower and this is a reasonable request. No guarantees of course but I should think she’ll have no problems with this request.”

“Do you need any help with preparations?” Harry asked.

Mrs. Greengrass smiled, “Why thank you dear. Are you any good in a kitchen? Neither of my daughters is so I’ve gotten used to doing it all myself but I can always use more help during the holidays so as long as you’re offering…” She trailed off and looked at Harry.

Harry grinned back, “I am fully at home in a kitchen. Although I have done most of my cooking in non-magical kitchens but last summer I learned the basics of a magical one.” Then he looked at Daphne, “That is unless you mind dear?”

Daphne smiled, “I like being in a kitchen watching experts cook. I’d prefer to be sitting at the table watching you and mum cook but as long as nobody asks me to do anything more than pass something and I get to taste things I’ll be happy. Thanks for asking though.”

Alexander Greengrass said, “I’ll go make everything is ready for the ritual while you get the feast ready.” Then he kissed his wife’s cheek and left.

Mrs. Greengrass took her daughter’s hand and led the couple off toward the kitchen where they saw another couple already working.

Daphne led him over to the man who was nearest, “This is my uncle Anders.” She hugged him and Harry shook his hand. The man was four or five inches over six feet and broad shouldered with shoulder length blond hair and a red beard.

“It’s good to meet you sir,” Harry said.

The man grinned down at him as his huge mitt engulfed Harry’s hand, “Call me Andy not sir. I don’t stand on ceremony and you’re barely a minor. I’m pleased to meet my niece’s boyfriend. She hasn’t brought a boy home before, just girls. It’s been enough to make me wonder if she was going to marry one eventually.”

Daphne slapped her uncle’s shoulder at that, “Don’t be silly uncle! It just took me a while to find a man good enough to be worth my time and yours. Try not to scare him off would you?”

The huge man chuckled and said, “I saw the pictures of the wyrm he slew niece. I doubt he’ll be scared off easy. Which is probably a good thing all things considered.” Anders turned and called out, “Helene! Come meet Daphne’s boy!”

A woman about Harry’s came over and shook his hand after kissing Daphne on the cheek. “I’m glad there is another normal sized person around. It makes me feel less short. Are you here to help us with the food?”

Harry nodded, “I am. What can I do first?”

“Can you slice vegetables one handed?” Hélène asked.

“I can,” he said. When she led him to a cutting board he asked, “How do you want them?”

“Sliced for stew,” she said. “It’ll be chilly out there. We’ll want something hot and hearty along with the nuts and various little seed cakes dipped in honey.”

Andy added, “Don’t forget the Wassail, the mead, and the winter ale served at dinner. Nor the brandy served after we get back inside to shake off the chill and the cookies to give us enough energy to reach our beds.”

"My favorite are the lemon poppy seed ones," Daphne said.

Harry nodded, "That all sounds wonderful." He wandlessly sliced all the vegetables with a gesture and a whisper, then asked, “Is that good?”

Helene raised her eyebrows and looked at Mrs. Greengrass, “You’ve been holding out on us Anitra. You never said he was able to do wandless magic."

Anitra Greengrass shrugged, "I didn't know. I'm not surprised though, he is Harry Potter after all."

"It's a simple thing that anyone could learn," Harry said. "Daphne's much better at it. She doesn't even whisper when she casts small spells like this."

"And normally would need four or five spells to cut everything on the board," Daphne replied. "I'll truly miss access to your core when we're separated. I'm still unsure how you've not been corrupted by such power. I'd be one arrogant wench if I grew up with all this power."

"You mean even more than you are now?" her uncle kidded.

Daphne smiled as she gave him the finger, earning her a scolding from her mother. It was half-hearted at best though and Daphne just shrugged it off, "What's next? Harry knows a spell to cube meat."

Helene smiled, "If you could that would help. Anders and I would have more time to work on the trickier bits if we got the stew going early." She showed the couple to another table in the very large kitchen that had a slab of meat on it.

When Harry draws his wand and casts the spell Daphne can feel the magic being used and grins. The others look on in surprise as the entire slab falls apart in cubes. Daphne drags him into taking a bow with her, "Pretty impressive huh?"

"He is at least," Anders chuckled. "When are you going to learn cooking magic Daphne?"

"When I have time uncle," she replied. "Until then I'll just rely on Harry for any cooking magic I need when away from home."

Harry kissed her cheek, "You can count on me."

She grinned, “I know.” She gestured with her left hand and a stew pot floats over to the table, “My turn I guess. Is this the right pot Auntie Hel?”

Helene smiled and replied, “Yes, dearest Daffy. It is.”

“Daffy?” Harry asked with a raised eyebrow and a grin.

She glared at him, “You call me that and I will get my revenge. Just remember who wakes up first!”

Harry grinned, “Yes dear, but next time I suggest you’re scarier than a basilisk remember this.”

She blushed, “I still say that was uncalled for.” Then she slugged his shoulder, “Remember your oath.”

Anders asked, “Oath? What oath was this?”

Harry replied, “I made a magical oath to consider her needs, wants, and desires as long as we were together.”

Daphne added, “And as long as I don’t speak for you in public without your prior agreement.”

Helene and Anitra looked shocked and Anders roared with laughter. “I think she got the best of you that time lad but I hope you learned from it. No matter how fearsome the lady, from the eldest dowager to the youngest filly, they all want to be considered delicate, innocent damsels. And at least in public you should treat her that way.”

Helene gave Anders a look Harry couldn’t identify but eventually turned to Harry and nodded, “He’s not entirely wrong young man.”

Anitra said, “I say if she wants to be treated like a lady she should act like one but I’m glad you are being so considerate Harry dear.”

As Harry started putting everything in the pot with his wand, vegetables included, Daphne sighed. “He’s not likely to think of me as delicate after four months of having to be present when I do the most indelicate of things. Not to mention that mother is correct when she says I’m not very ladylike.”

Harry kissed her cheek, “I love you exactly as you are. I don’t wish to change anything about you …” Harry paused briefly then grinned and added, “… anymore.”

“Lad you must love living dangerously,” Anders said as Daphne glared at him.

“Well, with my life I’ve not had much choice,” Harry said, still grinning. “And after being so close for so long I’m hoping Daphne knows when I’m kidding.”

“Well I guess you’ll find out won’t you?” Daphne said with a grin of her own.

“Remember that if you kill them for the first mistake they never learn,” Helene said. “You should hold off on true punishment until at least the second or third time he does something. It’s more effective that way.”

Daphne grinned, “Thank you Auntie Hel.”

Helene smiled, “You’re welcome Daffy dear.”

The rest of the preparations went smoothly and soon the Yule feast was on the table. Tracey and Neville were back along with her parents. They greeted Harry and Daphne and chatted during the meal. Neville had been welcomed wholeheartedly by her family and lost most of his nervousness. Dinner went well and everyone enjoyed it.

At the end of the meal Alexander Greengrass stood and raised a glass of mead, “The Winter Solstice is the longest night of the year. We gather tonight to whistle in the dark so to speak. As our ancestors did we decorate our homes with warm and sunny colors and eat a large meal of food from dwindling supplies. If we have rather more resources than they did our purpose is still the same. We celebrate light, life, friendship, and family. We also observe religious rites and make petitions to our patron goddess Hecate. We stand vigil against the darkness until the sun rises and its light chases away the dark and brings with it the promise of a new spring. Normally we let the priest choose one couple to demonstrate that most life affirming activity, the one which can produce a new life. Sometimes however one of our number has a special petition to put before the goddess so he or she volunteers with a partner to be the couple on the altar. This Yule my eldest daughter Daphne has a special petition to make and will volunteer with to celebrate on the altar with Harry. Everyone raise their glass in salute to her and her boyfriend and join me in hoping the goddess grants her request.”

Once everyone but the couple had raised a glass Alexander drank and the rest followed suit.

Afterward Harry raised his glass and said, “Thank you for everything, from the welcome I received when we first met to your well wishes just now. I am happy to feel like part of such a group of exceptional people. Now I know where Daphne learned to be so awesome.” Applause broke out as Harry drank and he blushed.

Anders stood up and grinned, “Now that the speeches are over it’s time to get naked and go walk in the snow!”
Sign up to rate and review this story