Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 20

by Balder 6 reviews

The tests are taken and the Unspeakable arrives.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2014-05-18 - 2186 words

5Original
A Different Sort of Bond

Disclaimer: I don't own the Potterverse!

Chapter 20
The room they were in had a fireplace connected to the floo network as it was normally for visiting VIPs. So Daphne was able to inform her parents of what Tonks had told them. They were saddened by their daughter’s arrest but happy she hadn’t been hurt.

“I’ll start calling in favors and see what I can do,” Mr. Greengrass said. “Thank you for what you’ve done for her Harry. You’ve treated her more than fairly and I know she hasn’t been making it easy.

The next day was Monday and with the new week came the early end of semester tests they’d been studying for. They were to take two tests a day until done. The tests distracted Harry from the problem of Astoria until Wednesday night when they received a floo call from Daphne’s father.

“Madame Bones would not release her to me,” he said not much surprised. “She is being held at an undisclosed location along with both Malfoys. The only concession I got from her is that she will get a prompt trial unlike the rest who are being held until they have finished taking precautions so that they can protect the courtroom during the trials and make sure the accused are not rescued.” Mr. Greengrass looked a bit embarrassed as he continued, “It has been suggested that as the person she killed was a squib with no magical family willing to claim him she may get off entirely free. I do not approve of this attitude in general you must understand but if it means by little girl comes home to me rather than go to Azkaban I can’t argue against it. The only possible fly in the ointment is Dumbledore. He not only has great influence but was apparently her target as well as the employer of the deceased so he can either save or damn her.”

“She’ll be fine then,” Daphne said. “She might even be home for the Solstice.”

“You think the headmaster will speak in favor of letting her go?”

Harry nodded, “Yes, his is big on second chances and combine that with her age and I’m sure he’ll be willing to let her go.” Remembering the conversation that Daphne insisted they not relay to her parents Harry added, “I even think he’d be willing to let her back into the school although I’d advise you not suggest that.”

Mr. Greengrass smiled at that, “I am happy to hear that. And have no fear of her causing further disruption at school. It is clear she needs to be homeschooled until we can be sure she can act properly in public. We can’t afford to have such things associated with the family name. Especially after our support of your foundation.” He sighed then added, “I will go tell your mother the good news about Dumbledore. Stay safe and we shall see you on the Solstice.” With that he withdrew and broke the floo connection.

Harry turned to his girlfriend, “If she’s back at your house for the holidays do you think she’ll try anything against us?”

Daphne shook her head sending her loose blonde hair flying briefly, “No, I think between the arrest and my parents displeasure she’ll behave at least for the duration of the holidays.”

“Good enough,” Harry said. “Bode is coming to separate us Friday. It’s going to be odd at first I think. My life has changed so much for the better because of this I might actually miss being connected for the first few days.”

“Really? Even with all the fainting and the learning things about women that you never wanted to know?” Daphne asked smiling. She was less cynical and sarcastic then she used to be before the accident but she still loved to tease him.

“Yes,” Harry said. “Even with all that. I’m glad he’s able to do it but I will always think fondly of this time.”

Daphne smiled, “I believe I’ll take that as a compliment Potter.”

“I believe it is one Greengrass,” Harry said with a smirk. “Did you learn anything about men?’ He was never one for banter or teasing before but he was slowly learning. He’d never be much of a tease but he was getting better at banter.

She snorted, “Men are simple, they like sex, food, and sports. Heroes, on the other hand, are apparently a bit more complex.” She put a finger to his lips as he was about to protest, “Do not say you aren’t a hero. Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to argue with your girlfriend? I’m always right.”

“Even when you're wrong?” Harry asked with a grin.

“Especially then,” she responded.

They were done with their tests by Thursday afternoon. Hermione went back to their suite with them, “I think we should tell each other about our answers to that last test. I’m sure I got some of those wrong.”

“Actually I wanted to go to the greenhouses,” Neville said. “I haven’t been since Sunday.”

Tracey quickly said, “I’ll go with you dear. Want to come Daph? You haven’t seen Bob yet.”

Daphne gave Tracey a thankful smile, “Yes, I should go see him once before the semester ends.”

Harry nodded, “He’s a fun vine, you’ll see. Coming Hermione?”

“Oh I suppose so,” she said.

They fed the vine and petted it. Daphne admitted that it did remind her of a puppy more than anything truly dangerous. After they headed back in to have dinner in the great hall. Seamus asked Harry, “So you’re all done for the semester mate?”

Harry nodded, “Yup! We get separated tomorrow then either leave the same day or the next if we end up needing a little recovery time.”

Ron said, “Now I wish I’d done it with you. We both have two tests tomorrow and Care of Magical Creatures Saturday morning.”

“Well at least you don’t have to worry much about how Hagrid grades you,” Harry said.

“True,” both agreed.

The next morning Harry, Daphne, Tracey, and Neville got dressed and had breakfast early to be sure to be ready for Bode. Tracey again asked the elves to make sure the place looked presentable and then they just waited until Bode knocked some thirty or so minutes later.

“Good morning!” Bode said as he strode in. “As you know, I’m here for to separate Harry and Daphne. However I’d like to check on the two others as well to make sure all is well before the holidays.” He pointed to the combined duo, “If you’ll go into your bedroom and undress then lay on the bed I’ll be there shortly. I just want to give the pregnant two a quick check-up first.”

Harry nodded and started to go but Daphne held him back.

Daphne said, “Another ritual requiring unguents, oils, and creams?”

He smiled, “No but it does require nudity and strange symbols on the floor. You could actually stay standing for this one if you wanted. I just figured it would easier to lay down.”

“We’ll stand,” she replied.

“As you wish,” Bode said.

Once inside the bedroom Daphne said, “Shrink everything and move into the bath temporarily Harry. That way will have plenty of room and we won’t disturb our friends by having stuff flying out into the outer room.”

Harry shrugged, “Sure, Daphne. I’ll just stick our clothes in the hamper first.” He gestured and their clothes vanished to reappear in the dirty clothes hamper then he shrank all the furniture and stacked it in a corner of the bathroom. They were standing ready in the center of the now empty room when Bode came in.

“Ah good,” he said. “Everything is ready. I’ll just start drawing the required runic shapes on the floor.”

He started with the wall of unity as before but after that he just drew a ring of runes around the couple, “Since we aren’t dealing with either an evil spirit or a chance of possession the protections are simpler.” He took a deep breath and let it out, “I should warn you that this might hurt and worse, it might not work. You know why it took so long to devise the procedure for separating you and it was necessary time but the longer you are connected the larger the chance that your magic will decide that this,” he gestured to their joined hands, “is the norm and resist any change. Considering the strength of Mr. Potter’s magic, if that happens you’ll be locked in and beyond my power to alter.”

Harry shrugged, “This is still our best bet yeah?”

Bode nodded, “Yes.”

Daphne scowled, “Then get on with it! We have places to be whether joined or separate.”

Bode nodded and started moving his wand in arcane patterns and chanting in Etruscan. A light burst from their joined hands and was soon too bright to look at. It brought with it pain and several strange sensations and soon both Harry and Daphne passed out.

They were woken up by Tracey, “Bode left an hour ago. He re-enlarged everything and put you to bed then he said not to wake you right away.” She smirked, “I think that last was because the great Unspeakabke is afraid of Daphne.”

“It didn’t work then?” Daphne said.

Harry sighed but said nothing.

“No,” Tracey said.

“Don’t give up Harry,” Daphne said. “We can still petition the goddess for help. It’s one of things that people do at these celebrations.”

Harry looked skeptical, “And you think we have a chance of her answering our petition?”

“If you volunteer to be the couple on the altar she is bound to give you a public answer,” Tracey said. “Everyone will hear her answer but you are guaranteed one.”

“So she might say no,” Harry asked.

Daphne smiled at him, “I know what you are thinking Potter. The goddess has no reason to dislike you or refuse you and every reason to like me. If you can bring yourself to do it on the altar with me I believe we’ll get what we ask for.”

“I’ll try,” Harry said. “Well let’s get up and dressed, unless you want us to apparate to your house naked or something.”

Daphne giggled, “It’s a little chilly outside for that and we’d have to walk through the school and out to the edge of the wards to apparate. So I think we’ll just get dressed and floo out from the Deputy’s office along with the others.”

Tracey grinned, “I’d love to see the expressions on faces if you did leave school in the nude but yeah it’s easier to just floo. Hermione is coming home with me and then apparating to her home unless I can convince her to join the rest of us.”

Harry flushed at the idea of Hermione watching him and Daphne on the altar but said nothing. It was pretty unlikely that Tracey would convince her.

Soon enough they were dressed and out in the sitting room. “Hi Hermione,” Harry said. Daphne hugged her one armed, “Thanks for all your help and have a good holiday. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for trouble and floo us if you need help.”

“My folks don’t have a floo but I can send a patronus if I need you,” Hermione said. She hugged Harry, “Take care Harry, sorry the Unspeakable couldn’t help. Try not to be embarrassed and enjoy the holiday.”

They left the room and shortly were at McGonagall’s office. She took a look at Harry and Daphne and said, “Oh dear. I guess I should make your residence in that room permanent then?”

Daphne rushed to agree before Harry could mention anything, “Yes Deputy headmistress.” She wanted to keep the room regardless and figured if the paperwork to make it permanent got done then even if they were separated when they came back they’d be able to keep it.

“We’ll need to stay as well,” Tracey said and Neville nodded.

“Of course,” Minerva said. “I have problems with that. If anything your grades have improved so there is no reason for you four not to continue to room together.” She looked at Hermione, “I might even consider allowing Ms. Granger to join you if I could think of a rule that allowed it. I know you’ve all become fast friends and she spends most of her time with you four these days.”

Hermione smiled, “Thank you ma’am but I’m happy enough where I am.”

The Deputy headmistress nodded and activated her floo. Once all five had gone through to their destinations she closed it again and went back to grading papers.
Sign up to rate and review this story