Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Slumber On

The Darkness

by panda_1418 1 review

Julius's point of view after he got shot

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2006-08-16 - Updated: 2006-08-16 - 766 words

0Unrated
All Julius heard was the shot, then everything went black.

Oh God /, Julius thought, am I dead? /

He looked around him, but everything was just black. His body was transparent, which scared him. OK, if he was dead, shouldn't he be ... somewhere? In Heaven, Hell, stuck on Earth? Maybe this was the waiting area, and someone would come and tell him.

"This is odd." he said aloud. His voice echoed back to him. "So ... what now?"

Suddenly, a light began to flicker a few feet in front of him. As the light got more and more bright, it took the form of a woman. Soon, the light was Delilah. What struck Julius as odd was he could see her perfectly, even though everything was black around her. He also saw a faint figure in her arms. His heart skipped a beat - it was him.

"Delilah?" Julius called. "Can you hear me?"

No reaction. Julius sighed. So he was kind of like a ghost, only he wasn't dead. He was kind of stuck in-between.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After they had taken his body to the hospital in Victoria, Julius sat on the window sill of his room, waiting for Delilah to show up. A few hours later, she did. It was heart-breaking, to watch her sit by his side and cry her eyes out. A few times he tried to touch her, but his hand went right through her body.

Then a doctor came in with Al and told them everything. Julius cried out in pain when the man said that they didn't expect him to wake up from his coma. So, he'd just kind of lay there, until he faded away, like a flower in the winter. Still, he felt a little better, knowing Delilah was safe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3 weeks later]

Julius woke up from a nap just as Al was leaving. He wondered what he and Delilah had been talking about. Well, he knew it was about him, but what about him. It must have been bad, because Delilah was crying. It pained him not to be able to touch her, to comfort her.

Trying to be happy, Julius tried talking to himself. "Well, this should be fun, living in a hospital, watching myself sleep forever."

Every time Julius went to sleep, he dreamed about waking up; and every time he woke up, he wondered if it would ever be in his body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3 more weeks later]

As Delilah came into the hospital room, Julius sat up. She hadn't even seen him yet, and she was crying. Now what? Delilah sat down by him and began talking.

"You know, I really need you, Jules. Al told me I'm going away in a week. I don't want to. I don't want to leave you." She paused as more tears came. "Dammit, Julius, I wish this hadn't happened to you. I wish it was my lying there, not you! I wish I had the chance. The chance to tell you I loved you. But now I won't ever get the chance! I didn't get the chance!"

Julius was dumbfounded. She was leaving in a week, to get a new partner. That was what she and Al had been talking about. No, she couldn't leave. Julius wouldn't be able to live with her being on the other side of the country.

He tried for the millionth time to sit in hi body, hoping he'd wake up ... but it didn't happen. He sat up with his wait and legs still in his body. This was so frustrating!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3 days left]

Julius was amusing himself by sticking his head through the wall. Since he couldn't turn on the TV in his room, he decided to wander. It was one o'clock in the morning, and Delilah normally didn't show until seven. As he looked in room 110, Julius grinned to see the old man was watching something. He was like the only one in the hospital. But Julius' joy was short-lived, seeing the man was watching a soap opera. He sighed as he sat down on the floor. It was better than nothing.

A few hours of soaps later, Julius decided to check up on himself. As he wandered back to his room, he found Delilah sleeping, with her head on the cot. Julius' eyes glanced at the calendar, even though he knew the date. Only 3 days before Delilah would return to the Academy and have a different partner assigned to her.

He decided to try and sit in himself one last time. As he lowered his head into his body, Julius prayed, Please God, I need a miracle ...
Sign up to rate and review this story