Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

XANADU

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

So much has changed in my long life, yet the world is still the same rock orbiting the sun, which orbits the galaxy. Nothing matters, yet everything matters. We are as significant as we believe our...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Humor,Romance - Characters: Flitwick,Harry,Luna - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2017-02-23 - 3210 words - Complete

0Unrated
I do not own or profit from the following:
Lyrics of the song Xanadu by the greatest band ever Rush! (I'm Canadian so I might be biased)
The following Novels quoted are Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and Atonement by Ian McEwan

Ragnok waited as patiently as he could outside his own vault. He lasted an entire minute before he started screaming to the occupant inside. "What In the name of Dragon shit are you doing in there?"
"Trying to concentrate you vile cockroach infested peace of manure!"
Unfortunately for Ragnok, it would be another hour before the vault opened. The Goblin immediately noticed something off. "WHAT IS THAT?"
"Ragnok, if you would calm down a second…"
"SHUT YOUR ORIFICE FILIUS AND ANSWER MY WIZARD DAMNED QUESTION!"
Filius sighed. "I'm going to die brother. I'm not sure when but I plan on breaking the unbreakable vow."
Ragnok was silent for exactly two seconds. "That does not make it ok to steal from our vaults Filius. I should have you executed now."
Filius glared at his half-brother. "I am many things but I am not a thief. I could kill you for such a false accusation. This was gifted to me. I was there when it was destroyed."
"What purpose do you have with a broken rock?" Ragnok sneered.
"Nothing you idiot, it's a rock. It still has its uses; I could bash you on the head with it, I could skip it across a pond, I could enchant it." Filius muttered as if to himself.
"Into what?"
"Something useful Ratcock!" Filius barked. "If Luna wishes to continue her mission, tell her hold the stone and say the magic words."
Filius bowed to Ragnok. "Goodbye brother, I love you with all my heart."
The Goblin began to turn green before Filius roared with laughter. "HA, you should see the look on your face."
Ragnok screamed. "May your death be extremely painful."
"May your children be disgraced." Filius screamed back.
"May your nose be stuck up your..."
"May your bank go bankrupt."
"Take that back!" Ragnok hollered.
"Enough of this, out you go."

Luna felt herself being pulled from the pensive and reappeared in Ragnok's office. She looked to Harry who was beside himself with mirth.
"You two really were siblings." Harry chuckled.
"Shut up!" Ragnok grumbled as he showed them a cracked ruby stone, "As you can see, Filius left you this stupid rock. Know what my brother left me? GOLD!"
Luna tilted her head. "How much gold?"
If looks could kill, Luna would be dead. Ragnok shoved the stone into Luna's hands. "I'm sure you know what this used to be."
Harry nodded. "The Sorcerer's stone."
"Actually it's called the Philosopher's stone." Luna hummed.
"Philosopher's stone? What kind of name is that?" Harry argued.
"A better name than Sorcerer's stone." Luna shot back.
"What's wrong with calling it the Sorcerer's stone?" Harry mutter defensively.
"Philosopher's stone has a ring to it. Sorcerer's stone sounds like the name was dumbed down for stupid people." Luna stated calmly.
"Who are you calling stupid?" Harry asked hurt.
"American publishers."
"Will you both shut up," The Goblin growled. "Who cares what it was called! It's just a broken rock."
"Well Filius said he did something to the Sorcerer's stone." Harry emphasized as he looked the stone over. "What did Filius mean by the magic words?"
Luna's eyes lit up. "Judging from recent events the words are Imaginatio Potestatem…oops!"
Harry and Luna felt the familiar tug from behind their navels and with a pop…disappeared.
Ragnok stared at where the two had been standing for five seconds, before he muttered, "Good riddance."

In the tallest tower on the smallest island, the oldest man with the youngest of faces, watched two of the strangest people he had ever seen appear before him. He had been expecting them of course. Nothing surprised him, for nothing was unexpected in a world where anything can happen.
The old man spoke slowly. "Luna Lovegood and Harry Potter, welcome to my home."
Harry looked around the small room. The walls were bare, no pictures, no windows. The only piece of furniture in the room was the throne the old man was sitting on. The heavily padded chair was clearly designed more for comfort than appearances.
Luna looked up into the old man's cold gray eyes. "Hello sir, I hope we aren't intruding. We didn't know the stone was made into a Portkey."
The old man smiled warmly. "Well it's good someone found an honorable purpose for my old stone. Allow me introduce myself. My name is Nickolas Flamel, and this is my home."
"It is honor to meet you sir." Luna whispered as she bowed.
"Likewise, I have been alive for over six hundred years, but it is not every day you meet Tom Riddle's bane and the Moonchild." Flamel uttered with reverence.
Harry spoke up for the first time. "Hello sir, I'm sorry about what happened with your stone."
"Nonsense child, the stone was a cursed object. I created it from my vanity. I created it from my greed. Nothing good can come from such a vile conception. It cursed me with the gift of immortality. Too tired from living to enjoy it, too scared of death to destroy it. Only suffering could ever come from that stone. Trust me Harry Potter, it does this old heart good to see it gone."
The old man rose from his seat and seemed to float towards the two young mortals. "Vanity and greed is something that is lacking in your hearts. There is nothing wrong with greed and vanity. Greed allows us to strive for better things, while vanity allows us the confidence to achieve our lofty goals. However too much of anything will make it sour. My life is proof of this."
"You two are pure in intention. The results of those intentions are unknown, even to me. Some of the worst deeds ever committed have been done with the best of intentions. If I prevented you from fulfilling your quest, the world will remain as it is. Yet nothing good can come from stagnancy. Only through progress can the world achieve nirvana. If you want to make the world a better place, you must change it. Change can be unpredictable, it can be frightening. That is the risk we all must take. It is a risk worth taking.
"So much has changed in my long life, yet the world is still the same rock orbiting the sun, which orbits the galaxy. Nothing matters, yet everything matters. We are as significant as we believe ourselves to be. There is only one earth, and that makes us very special. The deeds you wish to commit will be the dawn or the setting of mankind. It is not too late to walk away, but America was not discovered on purpose. A man dared to sail off the edge of the earth hoping to discover something spectacular."
"Will you Luna Lovegood dare to venture into the unknown for the betterment of mankind? Are you prepared to discover the realities of the universe, both the spectacular and the devastating? And are you prepared to face all you will have to face?"
"Yes Mr. Flamel." Luna whispered with devotion.
"Harry Potter are you prepared to discover your potential? Are you prepared to carry the burden of greatness on your shoulders? And are you prepared to follow the path you are on, to Heaven or Hell, with and for the one you love."
"Of course sir." Harry answered with conviction.
"Then by the power invested in me I shall help you on your quest. I offer you my home, my knowledge and protection. May Magic bless you for all time!" The old wizard decreed.
A soundless silence followed his words. A ripple of magic flowed through the two young mortals. Harry broke the silence. "Luna, did we just get married?"
Flamel laughed heartedly as he shook his head. "You remind me of you father. Dumbledore invited me to both of your parent's weddings, which I despise. A big long ceremony where people say they love each other and act like they took the plunge, only to divorce five years later. You want commitment, give your girlfriend the Philosopher's stone.
"Told you." Luna muttered, causing Harry to groan.
"I was stuck with that woman for six hundred years of nagging. Now she has finally passed on, I miss her to death. Love's funny isn't it. I'm a six hundred year old Philosopher and I still don't understand it."
Luna took Harry's hand as she whispered. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. If that's not love I don't know what is."
The two Wizards stared at the Witch. Harry wrapped his arms around Luna and kissed her with enthusiasm, oblivious to the old man.
"Young love, yes I believe you are correct child. Love is as simple and as complicated as we make it." Flamel said gleefully. "You are wise beyond your years child."
"That's my lovely Luna." Harry said proudly causing the girl to blush.
"I was just quoting a book I read." Luna muttered bashfully.
The old man floated past them down a spiraling staircase Harry had not noticed before. Luna followed Flamel without a second thought leaving Harry to chase after the two.
"Why do you have so many stairs?" Harry whined after what seemed like days.
"So visitors don't fall to their deaths." The Old man chuckled as he continued his glide.
"Why the tower then?" Harry pressed on.
"For the view of course." Luna answered.
"But there are no windows." Harry grumbled.
"Dear child, you don't need a window to view the wonders of the universe. Everything you could ever imagine is in your mind." Flamel stated calmly.
By this point, Harry was pretty certain Nickolas Flamel was completely insane. He was also clearly brilliant. Maybe sanity was overrated.

Finally they reached the bottom with Harry panting and wheezing. He walked past his companions to open the door, only to find it locked. Flamel chuckled. "That door has been locked for the last three hundred years. We have to Portkey to the other side."
"Portkey….PORTKEY!?"
"Yes I believe that is what Mr. Flamel said." Luna hummed.
"Why didn't we use the Portkey from the top of the Tower?" Harry cried pulling at his hair.
"Where's the fun in that." The old man laughed.
Harry took it back. Sanity was vastly underrated.
Luna couldn't believe her eyes. This had to be a dream. Nothing this beautiful could possibly exist in reality. Yet here she was in awe of the paradise around her.
"Welcome my children," Flamel announced. "Welcome to my home, XANADU!"
It was a mystical utopia. The Island was covered in flowers of every colour. A waterfall was flowing into a pond where Unicorns swam. The trees towered above them but did nothing to block the golden sun. Even the grass was greener here.
As Luna and Harry took in their surroundings the old man began to speak.
"To stand within the Pleasure Dome, Decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste anew the fruits of life, the last immortal man
'To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honeydew, and drink the milk of paradise"
"It's perfect." Luna whispered.
"I once felt the same way child." Flamel uttered under his breath. He pointed to a single tombstone in the shade of the setting sun. "Carved on this stone is the name of my beloved wife Perenelle Flamel. If only I knew then what I do now. Xanadu is my curse. This paradise is a prison, and I am a prisoner of my own device. I long to be with my beloved once more but it is impossible now."
Harry and Luna gasped as Flamel's hand passed right through the stone of Perenelle's grave. He shed a tear that did not exist as he whispered into the night.
"Held within the Pleasure Dome, decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste my bitter triumph, as a mad immortal man
Nevermore shall I return, escape these caves of ice
For I have dined on honeydew, and drunk the milk of Paradise"
Flamel turned to the stunned couple. The ghost spoke in a voice full of compassion. "The hour is late as sun now meets the ocean. Rest for the night and take in the fruits of my sin."
Without waiting for a reply, the doomed soul floated away and vanished from sight.

It was late into the night as Harry happily watched Luna befriend the unicorns. Luna slowly walked up to one of the unicorns and gently rubbed the majestic creatures back. "I'm going to name you Sunny muffin."
"Sunny muffin?" Harry hesitantly asked.
"It's what my dad named his pet Snorkack." Luna stated.
"WHAT?"
"Well he didn't actually have a pet Snorkack but he wanted to have a name ready for when he caught one." Luna giggled before sighing sadly. "I miss him."
Harry pulled Luna into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "You will see him again soon. We may have our differences, but we both care for you Luna."
Luna buried her head in Harry's shoulder. "I haven't seen him in months, I know he worries about me and now he doesn't even know where I am. He has lost so much, I'm all he has left."
Harry spoke softly looking into the setting sun. "You are an amazing person Luna. You have placed such a burden on yourself. Your father may not understand what you are trying to do, he may be scared for you. Most of all I'm sure he is very proud of you, as am I."
Luna shook her head, "I can't do this on my own. I wouldn't have made it without you. You gave me the confidence to face the world. I was scared of what was happening to me, how I was changing, but now I understand."
The young witch stood on her tip toes and kissed Harry on his forehead. "I am still the same girl that spoke to you on top of the Burrow, and on top of the train, and the tower…"
"Luna," Harry interrupted her train of thought as she began to ramble.
"Sorry," Luna blushed as she continued. "I'm still who I was, I'm just more now, I'm stronger now. I'm happier now and owe it all to you. You have helped me more than you could ever know. You are my hero Harry, and you will always be my inspiration. I bear this burden because that is what you would do. I strive to help people because that is what you always do. I just thought you were a nice, misunderstood boy when I first met you. When I joined D.A. I realized I wanted to be like you. Now I know I want to be with you, no matter what happens, for as long as I live, and longer still."
Harry could not help but shed tears as he embraced his love. "I love you Luna, more than I ever thought possible. You're the most extraordinary person I will ever know. I never wanted to be a hero, I just wanted to find the family I never had. I have found it in you. You make me want to be more than I am. You make me want to be a better person. I love you more than I love anyone or anything, even myself."
Luna's eyes widened with unshed tears. "Harry do you realize what you're saying?"
Harry looked confused, "I think I do, why?"
Luna put her hand over his heart. "You are saying you value my life over your own!"
"Of course I do and I would die for you, I have told you this." Harry insisted.
Luna shook her head. "Saying you would die for someone, and saying you value a person's life over your own isn't the same. What you are saying is far more meaningful."
"It is?" Harry questioned.
Luna nodded almost shaking "Very…"
Luna placed her soft, pale hand serenely on his cheek. "Mother was right. She once told me that no matter how lonely I felt, I would one day find someone to share my life with, to share my heart and soul. I found happiness in you."
Luna lowered her hand over Harry's heart as he felt it stop. "I value your life over mine, I love you more than anyone even myself. I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life."
Luna slowly backed in to the magical forest as if she was floating. She disappeared from sight yet Harry found himself drawn to her presence. Instead of the usual chaos of her mind, Luna's thoughts were overwhelmed by one thing. Luna knew in her soul that she needed to take this plunge, but it terrified her. She felt like she was about to jump off a cliff and she wasn't sure what awaited her at the bottom. She knew Harry would be there to catch her but this time she needed to freely fall into the abyss.
Luna came upon a spring in the middle of the enchanted forest. She could feel the magic flowing through the air. The water was shining from the reflection of the moon she cherished so much. Luna felt herself take a deep breath as she slowly began to shed her dress
"Luna...what are you doing." Harry nervously asked as he reached the spring.
"Taking off my clothes so I can go into the spring." Luna hummed.
"That's not what I mean."
Luna looked back up at Harry and saw the thirst in his eyes, over powered by the affection and concern.
Harry heard the quiver in Luna's voice as she whispered. "I'm exposing myself and everything inside me. I'm giving myself to you because I am nothing without you. There is nothing I want more, but I am scared. I...I...I don't know what I will find out about myself…I...I'm scared of…m...myself."
It hit her like a ton of bricks, "I'm scared of myself." Luna felt in that moment that if she encountered a Bogart she would be staring at herself as she stood before Harry.
Luna summoned her courage as she continued. "I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know where my quest for magic will take us. I only know that I need you Harry, all of you, and I need you to have all of me, because I can't make it alone."
Luna slowly lowered herself into the spring as Harry, shy and bashful, began to take off his own cloths, still full of uncertainty. This only made Luna laugh and she realized how wrong she was.
Harry quickly lowered himself into the water as Luna giggled. "I was wrong, I'm not giving anything to you. I have already given you everything Harry."
"Are you sure about this Luna?"
"Nope…You?
"Not at all."
"Well I guess we never are sure, but when has that ever stopped us."
Sign up to rate and review this story