Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Spies of the Georgia Straight: The Curse of the Giant Squid

Crucial Moments

by panda_1418 1 review

She couldn't believe he was really gone ...

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-09-05 - Updated: 2006-09-05 - 548 words

0Unrated
Squire let out the loudest, most pained scream of all. Immediately, the tentacle around Delilah's waist went limp. She dropped to the ground, coughing and massaging her rib cage. A few more seconds and it would have been game over. Whatever Julius had done, it had worked.

"Ohhh ..." Nosey moaned, sitting up. "Did you get the number on that tentacle?"

Delilah smiled, shaking her head. She walked over to the edge of the sub, expecting to see Julius in the water, waving to her. But he wasn't there. Delilah stood staring at the water for several minutes. What was he playing at? If he stayed down any longer, he'd drown.

"Julius?" she called. "You can come up now."

He still didn't surface. Delilah's stomach twisted into a knot. It wasn't true ...

"Julius?" she cried, desperately. "Game's over! Come up!"

Nosey placed a hand on her shoulder. "I don't think he's coming up, Delilah."

Delilah broke down sobbing. No! It wasn't true! Julius wasn't gone! He'd come up, all smiles, laughing about how he'd fool her. He had too ...

"He went out like his parents," Nosey whispered. "For the good of the mission."

----------------------------------------------------------

Delilah was on the balcony again, staring out at the sparkling sapphire sea. Any minute now, the serene mood would be broken as Nosey barged into their room. Julius would convince her to come to the beach.

But Nosey didn't come. He had asked Delilah if she wanted company, but she had politely refused. She just wanted to be alone.

No, she didn't. She didn't want to be alone. She wanted Julius to be with her. But he wouldn't. She couldn't believe he was really gone ...

Delilah saw something out of the corner of her eye. It was something that had washed up on the beach. She sniffed; probably another dead seal. She had seen plenty of those.

But this was too big to be a seal. She squinted at the still object. No ... it couldn't be ... Her eyes widened as she realized what it was.

"NOSEY!" she screamed as she leaped over the rail.

"What?" he asked, poking his head around the divider that separated the balconies. "What is it?"

Then he saw what Delilah was running for. Nosey let out a yell so loud that Ursula and Emmet, who were on the opposite side of the resort, heard it and broke into a run:

"JULIUUUUUUUUUSSSS!"

---------------------------------------------------------

The rocks seemed to just appear under Delilah's feet as she ran. Not once did she take her eyes off the still form of her partner.

Not once.

Nosey was gaining on her - or was she slowing down? She was, and she knew why. She was afraid. What if Julius was still gone? She would be devastate, crushed.

Nosey fell to his knees beside Julius. He wasn't moving at all; he looked so still, so ...

... lifeless ...

Time seemed to slow as Nosey's fingers closed on Julius' wrist ...


Promises shattered
Answers don't come
Friends say goodbye
Plans come undone
Dreams get crushed
Lies get told
Words can turn cruel
Hearts can grow cold

In a broken world where we cry to feel
Some hope that helps these hearts to heal
You're my strength, You're my refuge
In a broken world, Jesus I'm holding to You


- Across the Sky
"Broken World"
Sign up to rate and review this story