Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Don't Judge On What You See

Chapter Five - Finding Peeves

by mmaredding-chase07 1 review

Chapter Five

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2018-01-07 - Updated: 2018-03-06 - 1954 words

1Exciting
Chapter 5 - Finding Peeves


Genevieve


The next few days seemed to fly by, but finally, it was Friday. After escaping Blaise and my other friends, I went off to hunt down the Bloody Baron. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, which is pretty cool for the ghost of the Gryffindorks, Helped me, advising that I check the astronomy tower. Upon finding the gruesome man, he gave me a funny look when I asked where I could find Peeves. The Baron informed me that Peeves was last spotted zooming near right side of the third floor, a place that we were told we weren’t allowed to go, but I had to try it. I snuck past several students and teachers, making my way the to floor and slipping through the corridors.

“Peeves....Oh, Peeves....where are you....?” I called softly. I ended up by a door at the end of the hallway. I reached for the door, giving it a tug. Locked. I was about to poke it with my wand, when there was a sudden, WHAM! All of the other doors on the floor slammed shut at the same time. “PEEVES!” I shouted, and a little ugly man appeared above me.

“Oh, my, my, my, what a scandal! Ickle first years, roaming the third flood corridors. Oh dear. This will be worth telling Mr. Dumblydore about, now, won’t it.?” The poltergeist cackled happily.

“Ickle First years? What are you on about, Peeves?” A new voice called. Two boys strolled down the corridor closing in on me, with Peeves hovering in the air, with an evil glint in his eyes. The boys were tall, redhead, and identical. The Weasley Twins. I had heard enough about them from William, and if his story were true, I wish anyone else could have found me.

"Who is this?" Asked the one on my right. I didn't answer. Maybe they'd lose interest.

"Come on, what's your name? We have nowhere to be anytime soon." said the one on my left. I looked at my feet. Why did I do this again? Oh, right.

"Peeves, I need to talk to you!” All three of them stared at me like I was psycho.

"OoOoOo... Why’s that?” Peeves sunk down so that he was sitting criss-cross in the air.

“I… I… I need a favor.” I swallowed hard and glanced at the two boys standing over me. I wasn’t used to all this talking. Especially in front of people.

“What kind of favor?” I could tell that the Poltergeist was curious.

“I’d like it if you could cause a few people a bit of… trouble”

“Causing trouble? Causing trouble? I can do that! I can do that very well, missus first year. What may I do for you madam?” He swept his hat off and bowed deeply.

“Woah, woah, woah, what?” Asked the twin on the right. “Peeves, you never do things for others! What is this?” Peeves shrugged.

“It’s so much fun causing trouble, and it’s not often that Peeves is asked to do it.” The twin on the left leaned closer to me, glaring suspiciously.

“Do any of these people happen to be Gryffindors?”

“Maaaaaaayyyyyyyyyybeeeeeeee…?”

“Which ones exactly?”

“None of your business.” I sniffed dramatically.

“If it’s our brother, it is, actually, our business.” I shrugged.

“It doesn’t matter if it is or isn’t, either way, I don't have much sympathy for your brother anyway.” Wow talking this much was draining. I might have to take a nap after this.

“What? Why not?” The one on the left asked a lot of questions.

“‘Cause it’s not like the two of you care that much about other’s siblings, so why should I care about yours?”

“What do you mean?” I sighed. They ask a lot of questions.

“William Sionnach is my brother.”

The Twins stared at me confused. “Are we supposed to just understand that, or…?” His brother shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. “He’s in your year. Tall, blond hair, paler skin, cares about grades?” A look of understanding crossed over the boy’s faces.

“Ooooh, you mean the weird prissy Ravenclaw boy, right?” I glared at him. The left boy was really getting on my last nerve.

“Wait, if he’s in Ravenclaw, doesn’t he hate you ‘cause you’re in-”

“Anyway,” I cut into his latest question, pulling out the list of names that Harper was able to snag from Snape’s attendance roll. She is very good at grabbing things that don’t belong to her. “Peeves, the first years that I’d like you to terrorize are Seamus Finnigan, Neville Longbottom, and Reece Keely. Could you do that for me?”

“Hang on, we like that Reece fellow. She’s a hoot.”

“I really don’t care.”

“What do you care about?”

“Right now? Revenge.” Peeves took the list from me and examined it carefully, cackling evilly.

“Consider it done, Missus Sionnachy!” Announced the Poltergeist, before whizzing off. I tried to slip away too, but the twins grabbed me.

“Ah-ah-ah, we still have somethings to clarify first.”

“Like your still untold name…?”

“Does it matter?”

“Yes.” they said in unison.

I shrugged, not giving them the satisfaction of an answer, I suppose.

“You know, we're not going to leave you alone until,” said the right one. “We'll find out your name soon enough. I’m George, by the way.”

“And I’m Fred, at your service.” They both offered me identical bows, with a sweeping motion to make Peeves proud.

I only nodded in return

"Now, if I understand correctly, you're a first year?" another nod.

"Come on now, we know that you can talk. Use your words." I stuck my tongue out at George.

"So, that would make us two years younger than us, and you're in Slytherin, but no matter."

"We'll bother you until the ends of the earth. We promise."

"We swear."

"We solemnly swear." They said grinning at each other as if they had just made a fantastic joke. They looked so happy, I almost grinned back. This was going to be interesting.

~~~~~~~

Reece


Me and Seamus Finnigan flew around a corridor and dove into the next open classroom.

"What the bloody hell was that?" Seamus breathed, panting just as hard as I was.

"Peeves." I whispered back, not daring to peek around the corner.

"What?"

"My older sister told me about him. He plays pranks on a whole bunch of kids. He's real nasty I've been told." Seamus shrugged and sunk down into a sitting position.

"Nothing we can't handle, right?"

"I'm positive we could destroy him, if it were a fair fight, which against Peeves, it would not be.” I slide down next to him, leaning on the wall.

He frowned. “But, that's not very brave, is it?"

“Nope.” I popped the P.

“But, who cares about that, eh” Cackled Peeves who had materialized in front of us.

“Gah!” We screamed together, and cover our heads as the small man began to pelt us with bits of chalk. He just giggled and snorted.

“Cut it out! Cut it out!” Seamus cried, huddled against the wall in tornado position.

I stood up to rat out Peeves, but got a piece of chalk in my mouth instead.
I spat out the chalk and wiped my mouth in disgust. “‘M ‘byng’” I choked out, coughing up chalk dust. Seamus pounded me on the back, trying to help. Peeves watched us, almost sinisterly.

“Hehehe, I can most certainly see you being a hin-dar-ance to Missus Genevieve. No wonder she sent me for you.” He tapped his fingers together and did a little dance in the air.

“‘Missus Genevieve’?” I asked, finally able to speak. “Who’s that?”

“The poor unfortunate soul that had to deal with your little baloney games. Missus Foxy Genevieve of Slytherin, of course.”

“Foxy Genevieve of...Slytherin?” Seamus asked, before seeming to realize something. "Wait, did this girl have a long bob kind of haircut, blonde, and paler skin type?” Peeves thought about it for a second before nodding.

“She most certainly does.”

I stared at Seamus. “A… long bob kind of haircut?” I asked, confused by his terminology. He blushed and shrugged.

“Me older sister always wanted to own a hair salon, she’d talk about it all the time.” His face told me that he didn’t want to talk about it. So, I opened my mouth to talk about it, but Seamus just cleared his throat and turned back to Peeves.

“Anyway, what do you mean that we were a...a...wait, what did you call us?”

“A hindrance, I think.” I offered. Seamus only looked more confused. To be fair, I wasn’t quite sure what the word meant either. Peeves flipped upside down as we attempted to understand the new bit of vocab.

“What’s that mean?” he whispered to me, as if Peeves couldn’t hear. I shrugged.

“I dunno.”

“Hindrance: 1.) The state of being interfered with, held back, or slowed down: the state of being hindered. 2.) A person or thing that interferes with or slows the progress of someone or something. 3.) The act of interfering with or slowing the progress of someone or something: the action of hindering” Another person stepped from the shadows and entered the classroom.

~~~~~~~

Nichole


I walked from my hiding spot in the corner and into the small amount of light coming from the vestibule. I was holding the muggle dictionary that I had been reading. I’ve attempting to expand my vocabulary.

“Where the bloody hell did you come from?!” Shrieked Reece, the Gryffindor that I had been in the boat with on the way to the school. I simply pointed to the nook that I had appeared from.

“Anyway, please correct me if I’m wrong, but Peeves has been commanded to cause trouble for you after what you to her potion last Tuesday.” I stated, fiddling with my earing. It had been a 10th birthday present from my mother.

Peeves nodded acquiescently, flipping upright again. “Sneaky little Ravenclaw.” He warbled. “Clever too-o-o-o-o-o! Synonyms?”

“Too; Also; As well as; Likewise; Furthermore.” I listed with a smile.

“Blimey, you’re weird.” The girl said, staring at me. Peeves was beaming.

“Missus Ravenclaw is ve-e-e-er-r-ry very tricky. Just like Missus Genevieve.”

“Thank you, Peeves.”

“May I?” The Poltergeist wiggled his fingers, asking for my dictionary, which I handed over to him. He zoomed away snickering and flipping pages.

Reece and Seamus stared at me. “H...how…?!” Seamus stammered, with Kathryn beside him simply gaping. I shrugged.

“I guess everyone wants to learn new things sometimes.” I said, picking up my school bag and slinging it over my shoulder. I began to walk out of the classroom.

“Hey, hey! Wait up!” The two Gryffindors hurried after me, falling into step next to me as we went down the hall. “How did you find us?” I snorted. I could expect Slytherins to be a bit self centered, but Gryffindors?

“I didn’t find you. I was in there first, before you came barging in like baby elephants.” Seamus’ face turned red, and Reece smiled. Her strange happiness was getting rather bothersome. I scowled at her, but she only beamed back. That was even more irritating.

A bell sounded in the distance, calling for the end of lunch. I had herbology with the Slytherins next, so I left Reece and Seamus there with no explanation as I hurried towards the other side of the school to the green houses. On my way, I witnessed Peeves hurtling variations of swear words at passing by students. I couldn’t help but laugh to myself.
Sign up to rate and review this story