Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > The Goatman

Ginger

by panda_1418 3 reviews

An elderly woman tells D&J a disturbing story about a family pet ...

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Horror - Published: 2006-09-23 - Updated: 2006-09-23 - 756 words

1Exciting
"Thanks anyway," Delilah sighed, walking away from the local she had been talking to.

"Anything?" Julius asked as she stopped beside him.

Delilah shook her head. "Nope. That's the ninth person I've talked to, and no one's heard of Cindy Mortimer or Connor."

Julius heaved a deep sigh, and followed Delilah as she stapled another poster onto a telephone pole. The signs told anyone who knew anything about Cindy or Colin to call either Delilah or Julius' cells. They had been here a day, and had no luck.

Suddenly, Julius' cell rang. He took it out of his pocket and answered. "Hello?"

"You're looking for the two new people who showed up a few days ago." It was not a question, but a statement. "Meet me in an hour along Fletchertown Road in Old Bowie. I have some information for you."

"Who -?" Julius was cut off as the caller hung up. He growled in frustration.

"What was that?" Delilah asked.

Instead of answering her question directly, Julius replied with one of his own. "Do you know where Fletchertown Road is?"

-------------------------------------------------------

[An hour later, Fletchertown Road]

Delilah and Julius had been driving down Fletchertown Road for only a few minutes when they spotted an elderly woman flagging them down. They pulled their car over and hopped out.

Julius spoke first. "Do you know where Cindy and Connor are?"

The woman fixed him with an eerie stare. "I'm afraid even if I did, no one can help them now. It's too late. I'm Mary Gittleman, and you two will be from the Academy."

"Yes, that's right," Delilah replied. "How did you know?"

Mary laughed - it sounded more like a hacking cough. "Oh, my dear, I know many things that aren't my business. Like how you're the two spies sent to find Cindy and Connor. Come, come. I have tea ready at my house."

Without asking permission, Mary opened the driver's door and hopped in. Delilah ad Julius sat in the back, wary of this strange old woman. Mary's house was only a few minutes from where they had pulled over. She parked the car in the driveway and beckoned them into the house.

"Now," she said as they sat down in her living room, "have either of you heard of the Goatman?"

Delilah kept her mouth shut, but Mary noticed as she averted her eyes. The old woman continued. "It's a myth among the local kids ... or so they say."

Julius coughed politely. "No offence, ma'am, but I'm not a big believer in ghost stories."

Mary fixed him with an icy stare. "There was a time everyone just thought that he was a myth. But that all changed when Ginger was found."

"Ginger?" Delilah asked.

"Yes, Ginger. Ginger was a dog who belonged to April Edwards in Old Bowie. On the night of November 10, 1971, April and her friends heard strange cries coming out of the darkness, and they saw a large shadowed creature moving in the night. After that, Ginger disappeared."

Delilah noticed how when Mary had started telling the story, she said Ginger was a dog. Not is, but was.

"Naturally, April was upset, so the family friends decided to help out and look for Ginger. One night, a couple was walking in the woods and saw what they first took to be a small animal. However, when they got closer, they realized it wasn't an animal. It was Ginger's head."

Mary paused to let the words sink in. "It was just Ginger's head. It had been severed clean of her body. And another thing, there was no body. No blood trail. No nothing. It was done cleanly. Now, people say that a wolf or coyote did it, but if an animal did, how did it hide the body? The blood? Answer that!"

An overwhelming feeling of queasiness entered Delilah's stomach. "I need some air!" she gasped, then rushed out of the house.

Julius went to follow her, but Mary grasped his arm. Her eyes showed concern. "The Goatman hates pets, but he hates love more! You and her are in grave danger! Connor and Cindy didn't listen to me, and look what happened to them!"

Julius brushed her off and raced out the door. Delilah was making a mad dash for the car. Mary's voice echoed after them:

"Never let her out of your sight! You're both in grave danger!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi guys. You know what scares me? The fact that the Ginger story was true. I don't know about the Goatman, but Ginger was real.

-panda_1418
Sign up to rate and review this story