Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > I'll give you the world

Unexpected Surprise

by shasta 0 reviews

no summary...just read!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Katara, Zuko - Published: 2006-10-26 - Updated: 2006-10-26 - 1105 words

-1Predictable
Chapter 2
Unexpected Surprise

(Meanwhile on Hinsu)

After the group had unloaded and set up camp Katara decided to give herself some much needed alone time. "Hey guys I'm going for a walk." Katara called as she walked off into the forest.

"Can I come?" Aang asked with his usual cheery tone of voice.

"Sorry Aang, I need some time to myself...maybe later." Katara said smiling weakly.

"Alright...no problem." Aang said with a sad expression and a bleak tone of voice.

Two minutes of walking made the campsite barley visible through the thickness of the tree and brush. Katara sniffed the air, and it smelled like fresh rainfall. She didn't know why, but the smell always appealed to her, maybe it was the smell of wet redwoods.

Just as she began thinking on this red-armored hands came across her mouth and arms from behind, griping her cruelly. Two fire nation soldiers then came into view as she looked behind her in desperation and held her firmly in place. Prince Zuko then appeared from behind a tree and approached her with his hands at his sides. He then smiled at her softly.

"Zuko if you want Aang you will have to get through my brother and me!" Katara snapped coldly.

"One; your buffoon of a brother is no match for me, and two; I am not after the Avatar." Zuko said simply.
"Then what do you want?" Katara said now somewhat frightened.

"You'll soon find out." Zuko said with a quiet, and hard tone of voice. Katara was then knocked unconscious by one of the guards.

"Lets go." Zuko said coldly as he walked back to the ship in front of the captured girl with the two soldiers.

Some Time later Katara woke up in the unfamiliar sight of cold iron cast walls. She then noticed her hands and feet, bound to the metal chair by iron clasps welded in place.

Katara then noticed a stout old man sitting in a corner enjoying a cup of tea and smiling kindly at her, immediately she recognized the face as General Iroh, the one who laid siege to Ba Sing Se for six hundred days.

"Your General Iroh aren't you, what would you be doing helping a banished fire nation prince?" Katara asked with surprise in her voice.

"Prince Zuko is my nephew." Iroh said simply, walking over and sitting next to her.

"So what's he want with me, if he's not after Aang." Katara asked with a shaky frightened voice.

"He loves you." Iroh began sweetly.

"Oh." Katara said suddenly.

"The funny thing about my nephew is that he's never loved anyone before, always being so distant and cold." Iroh said with distain in his voice.

"We're just to different, were opposites, as fire and water are." Katara began again quietly.

"Yet he needs some comfort in his life, he believes you can love and comfort him." Iroh said solemnly.

"I always pictured the 'Dragon Of The West' as just another cold and ruthless fire nation general, but you don't seem to be." Katara said changing the subject quickly.

"Yes I guess I am an exception to that rule aren't I?" Iroh said with a laugh.
Just as Iroh took another sip of his tea the door opened with a groan and Zuko walked into the room silently and just looked at his uncle with a look of anger.

"Why is she tied to the chair? She is my guest not a hostage." Zuko said in a quiet and angry tone.

"I wondered about that myself, perhaps the guard thought she would try to escape." Iroh said with a puzzled tone stroking his goatee with a frown.

Zuko then approached the chair and melted her binds with his hands.
Katara then stood up quickly facing Zuko with a still frightened look.

"Come with me, I promise not to hurt you." Zuko said with a warm smile offering his hand to the young waterbender.

"What do you think I am?" Katara said coldly glaring at Zuko, slapping his hand away.

"Please...just give me a chance." Zuko said with quiet discouragement in his voice offering his hand once more.

"Fine." Katara said in a hard and cold voice, looking away from him and closing her eyes as she took his hand as if when she did an excruciating pain would meet her.

Katara was then led to the front deck of the ship. It was nighttime now, the sky was a midnight blue color, and the moon glowed behind the almost transparent clouds that seemed like veils just barley hiding it from view.

Katara then looked at Zuko with half distain half sympathy. 'He had been such a ruthless and hateful person in the beginning, yet he's never had really had any love, none at all except for his uncle and mother.' She thought searching herself for the answer to what she should do.

"I can't go back can I?" Katara said sadly.

"You can, I will let you go willingly...but would you really want to?" Zuko replied calmly looking at the moon.

"What do you mean?" Katara asked puzzled.

"Your brother just insults you every time he has a chance." Zuko said plainly turning to look at her.

"That's true...but he still cares about me." Katara stammered with uncertainty.

"Yet what he says sticks with you doesn't it, burned into your memory like my scar? Until you begin to believe whatever he would say about you." Zuko said firmly looking into Katara's eyes.

"What about Aang he always seems to care about me?" Katara said frowning.

"He's that way because he's been told to be that way, all he really is just a cold empty shell...waiting to be filled with emotions, but I care and I love you." Zuko said putting an arm around her shoulder in comfort.

"How would know what Aang is like, you don't even know him?" Katara said coldly pulling away from his embrace with her arms crossed.

"Oh but I do, he's just like all the other airbenders which my uncle told me about, always taught that emotions come second to duty." Zuko said firmly.

"How can you say you love me Zuko, do you even know my name?" Katara asked timidly.

"Yes Katara...I love you more than I could explain in words." Zuko said getting lost in her eyes. Katara then took a step back from the prince with a look of sadness mixed with shock.

"I...I'm going in I'm tired." Katara said hurriedly.

"Guard please escort Katara to her sleeping quarters." Zuko commanded stiffly.
Sign up to rate and review this story