Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Space Pirates

Brooke

by water_dragon 2 reviews

this is a story i wrote for english, a speculative text for the future, it focuses on the theory that you can create the perfect human, i dunno how to describe it, critical feedback would be apprec...

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-12 - 812 words

1Ambiance
The derelict ship crept through the tangled web of purple creeper-vines. It wasn't a small sky-glider but it wasn't a large one either. Just big enough for a crew of five and three passengers. Although it would be a bit crowded with eight. As it was the ship Marcella only carried five people.
There was the captain; Al. his first mate Paul, engineer Phillip and they also had a resident doctor called David. They were just the men. All were between the ages of 25 and 35 and were white skinned (albeit tanned) with hair in varying shades of blonde and brown.
The Pilot; Maria, was slightly different; she had creamy, coffee coloured skin and white blonde hair. She also had a temper. It was very common to hear the words 'bloody hell' when something went wrong.
On the day in question Maria was in a particularly bad mood. No one knew why and no one wanted to ask. Maria was best left alone when she was cross.
The Marcella brushed a creeper vine that attempted to grab a loose sheet of metal. The ship was in desperate need of repair. The creeper succeeded in its mission of plate removal and Maria swore. "Phil! Get the bloody hell up here!"
Al came in to complain then thought better of it. Even he wouldn't risk it. Maria jerked the wheel and the sky-glider jerked side-ways. There was a clatter in the corridor and Phillip staggered in. a bruise forming on his head where he'd hit the internal heating pipes. He muttered something rude that no one could hear.
Maria pulled a lever and the ship crashed to a stop. "Number off!" Al yelled, "One!" A muffled 'two' and 'three' came from the galley and dormitory areas.
"Four," snapped Maria and Phillip finished with "Five".
"Systems check?"
"Battered," said Phillip looking at a small screen among many covering a side dashboard and wall.
"We're pretty much in the middle of nowhere," said Maria, consulting her own screen.
"Pretty much?"
"There's a small colony village about three klicks north-west."
Al pulled a gun off the sparsely clad rack by the door. "Anyone out there closer?"
"Yes," Maria checked the screen "One human, young, no weapons, just a seriously crashed out pod." She pulled a camera view up onto the tinted glass of the window. There was a girl sitting there in a Government Issue jumpsuit. Her eyes were closed and her hands were outstretched. A gesture of peace.
Paul entered and sucked in a breath "she's government."
Al shook his head"escaped prisoner, see that brand on her face? All government prisoners are branded that way; it only shows up if they've escaped beyond the prisons perimeter. There's no way to hide it or remove it." Maria uttered a sentence expressing her feelings about the government that used a lot of profane and insulting language.
Al slipped the gun into a holster in his belt, "I'm going out to talk to her; Maria; you do an internal systems check. See what you can do in the way of repair work." He switched on a walky-talky that emitted a burst of static. "Phil, you're coming outside to do and external systems check, find iout what we lost." He rubbed his hands, "Let's do this thing."

The girl was around the age of sixteen. Her long hair was a mixture of blonde, brown and red. Her complexion was tanned and her eyes were a startling hazel. "Who are you?" al asked her. She didn't say anything. "Can you talk?"
She opened her eyes, "yes I can talk, I was saying a karakia." Karakia, the Maori word for prayer.
"Are you Maori?"
"Si."
"And yet you're speaking Espinal." Espinal; old Spanish and Old Italian rolled into one.
"The gift of tongues, it has been enhanced," she closed her eyes. Al decided to try a different line of questioning "what is your name?"
"Brooke."
"Ok then Brooke, what's your story?" Brooke opened her eyes again.
"Can I come with you?"
"What? Que?"
"Can I travel with you in your ship with your crew?"
"You'd have to somehow contribute towards maintenance and we would want payment."
Brooke held out a small piece of metal with minute wiring and circuitry coating it. "Would this do?"
"Where did you get that?" Al asked astounded.
"I was not imprisoned on this planet, I came from earth."
"But it's uninhabitable."
Her eyes flashed, "That's what you think."

-----------------------------------------------------------
this is my first original i've posted on this site, i can't find a fantasy text a once wrote and everything else i don't know how to categorize so you can find them on my website(alone with pictures of me, pictures that i've drawn, fanfiction, wallpapers i've made... jsut stuff) so it would be worth your while to check it out
please r&r, critical feedback is appreciated
Sign up to rate and review this story