Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Choices of Life

55

by strange1 0 reviews

Willow faces a lot of choices. It all starts with what college she wants to go to. Plus, she and Oz haven't been clicking. And as she finds out, the older you get, the more choices there are. Alter...

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Anya, Buffy, Giles, Joyce Summers, Tara, Willow, Xander - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-07-30 - Updated: 2005-07-30 - 2204 words

0Unrated
The blond vampire looked around him. Five to one were not the greatest of odds even for a superior fighter like himself. Well, six to one if you counted his ex that at the moment was staring off into space. It was like she was envisioning the upcoming fight and him ending up dust.
Spike smiled to himself. When he was sane, he would have been making some smartass comment. And he wouldn't wait for the action to come to him. These five blokes would be just dust in the wind. But he wasn't himself yet. And he wondered how long it would be before he was.
No time to worry about that now. For two of the five vamps had launched their attack. Spike took one of it out of action by breaking its knee. It writhed on the ground in pain. The second vampire hesitated for a second. He tried to punch William the Bloody but his fist was caught. And the once bad old vampire crushed it with his right and pulled out a stake with his left. Soon, there were only four vampires.
Three of the four started to circle the blond vampire. The one with the broken knee tried to stand up. In one quick motion, Spike grabbed the vampire's shirt collar and pulled him up to him and had the wood of the stake through his heart. Soon, he was holding nothing but dust.
The three vampires stopped circling. They all looked at Drusilla who was still lost in space. They knew what they were supposed to do. But it wasn't as easy as they had thought that it was going to be.
The three converged at once. Spike waved his hands at them as if to say bring it on. All three of them launched themselves at him. That brought a smile to the vampire's face. With speed and grace, he pulled out the sword from his back. With a seemingly effortless flick, all three vampire's heads were rolling on the ground and then nothing but dust.
Drusilla finally snapped out of her trance that she had been in. She looked around to see ashes blowing in the wind. A little smile crept across her face. "I knew you'd win, Spike." There was a smile on that pale face. "It was just a test."
"A test?" Spike held a stake in his left hand, the sword in his right. "What in the bloody hell are you testing me for? To see if I'm as insane as you. Cause at the moment I seem pretty damn lucid. What are you up to, Dru?"
There was that insane laughter of the vampire's. "If I told you, it wouldn't be any fun." The smile on her face grew larger. "Now be a good boy and come along."
"Why in the bloody hell would I come with you?" Spike crossed his arms against his chest. "In case you hadn't noticed, I'm on the side of the good guys now."
Drusilla shook her head. "Exactly." That's when two vampires walked out of the shadows. They walked up behind Spike and shocked him with an electric prod. "Pleasant dreams, my sweet. The slayer won't be happy I've got her new toy."

Not just one gunshot, but a spray of bullets tore throughout Joyce Summers' bedroom. The window shattered with the bullets that had been intended for Buffy and Faith. Or was it everyone in that room besides the watchers.
Buffy was the first to recover. She did a leg sweep to the guy with the gun. The gun went off several more times, riddling the ceiling and shattering the light above. Glass sprayed down on the slayer but she ignored the little cuts and pain.
The gun in his hand was easily knocked out. "It's time to show you how we do things the slayer way." With one punch, the guy was out. But there were two others now standing with guns in their hands. Pointed down at her.
"That's quite enough, Miss Summers. We will get what we came for. We always do." Edward smiled big. He didn't have a gun trained on her, but he was still acting all brave.
That's when Faith took out both the operatives that were holding their guns on Buffy with a similar leg sweep as the blond slayer had previously done. She quickly grabbed both the guns that had been knocked loose. The cold steel felt strange in her hands. Guns were not what a slayer was used.
"I'm so not the one to handle these things." The rogue slayer turned and gave them to Giles. "You take them." She turned back to the operatives. "I prefer my fists and stakes to those things." She took a fighting stance as the two operatives regained their balance. She felt a familiar presence as Buffy came to stand beside her.
Edward glared at Giles who held both guns in his hands like it was the most natural thing in the world. "I've been well trained on how to use these things if you remember correctly." Giles smiled as he pointed both guns at the man.
"You know that we will keep sending men after her." Edward took a step towards Giles who cocked the gun. "You can't keep her from the council. We always get what we want. You should know that by now."
"Not really." Buffy smiled from ear to ear. "See, the way that I remember it was that Travers wanted a lapdog. I don't roll over and I don't play dead. I do what I want to. I fight the bad guys. But I do it the way that I want to. The council wanted me to do everything they wanted. But it didn't happen, now did it? So I'm thinking that you aren't going to get what you want this time either."
Faith put her hand on Buffy's shoulder. The two slayers looked each other in the eyes. "Look, B. I don't want to cause trouble. Maybe I should just go with them. It'll make things easier for you in the long run."
"Not gonna happen." Buffy smiled sweetly at her former enemy. "Only if you've given up on that whole wanting to do good thing. As long as you don't give up on that, I won't be giving up on you. Ever."
"I..." Faith trailed off. She had never had anyone believe in her like this. But would it be enough. "Thanks, B. I think it will be the thing that makes the difference."
Buffy turned back to the operatives. "I suggest that you get the hell out of here. Get out before us two slayers decide to open up a can of whoop ass on you. And give your bosses the message that they don't want to mess with these slayers. The same thing goes that I said back then. Til the next slayer is called, you guys don't have someone to kick around anymore."
Edward took a step forward. He stopped as soon as the bullet hit the floor where his foot was about to land. He looked over at Giles with a look of surprise on his face. "You've changed, Rupert. You used to be for the council. What happened?"
"I realized that there are some things that are more important then rules." Giles glanced at Buffy, pride clearly showing in his eyes. "There is such a thing as being a human being and caring about people." He turned his gaze back to Edward. "But that isn't a concept that you could ever grasp. You or the council will never know what it's like to actually care about the people that are chosen to die so young. It bloody well hurts. But it also makes the difference in the war. Why is that you think that Buffy has been the best slayer the council has ever known. And lasted the longest."
"Except for dying once." Edward smiled.
"Yes, she did that. But she overcame that as well." Giles sighed heavily. "Like I said, you and the council will never understand. And that's just a shame. Using someone is just plain wrong. And these are more then just slayers. They are human beings as well. Unlike the council and all its members."
"I suggest you leave now." Buffy's voice cracked a little as she spoke. Could it be she was choked up at the way that her former watcher and now friend had just spoken about her?
Edward shook his head. "Just know this..."
He was cutoff by Buffy. "That you'll be back. Always be watching our backs cause you guys are these bad ass types. Please. I get that stuff out of demons every day." She turned to Giles. "Do you think there is a connection?"
Giles smiled. "Could be. The demons we fight are so much like how the council wants to control you." He chuckled softly. "Just bloody hell get out of here."
They watched as the four conscious council members picked up the one that Buffy had knocked out. They walked out in silence. Buffy watched them from the top of the stairs to make sure that they had left. She returned to the disaster that had been her mother's bedroom. "Sorry about the mess, Mom."
Joyce looked around her. "I'm used to it Buffy. But there is something else going on. Oz. He's hurt. At the hospital. I think Willow could use you."
Buffy's eyes widened. "Faith, we can't risk you going out yet. So, stay here. Take care of mom for me. Giles?"
"I'll stay here as well. Go. Be with Willow." Giles hugged her before she took off with all her slayer speed.

Tara held on tightly to her everything. It was killing her to see the redhead going through all of this. And there was no way for her to take away any of the pain. Only to be there for her no matter what happened. And it looked bad.
"I'm sorry. But Mr. Osborne didn't survive the surgery." The doctor smiled sadly at her.
Willow almost collapsed to the floor. "Oz!" Her sobs were so great. She felt arms grab her and hold her. Sobs of pain racked her entire body. How could this be happening. How could the man that she had loved, that had awakened her, how could he be dead.
"Shhh. It's all right baby. I got you." Tara held her even tighter. Gentle kisses were placed up and down her neck. "I'll always be here for you. I'm sorry."
Xander and Anya just stood there watching. Watching two lovers comfort one another over one of the biggest things to hit the scoobies in years. A loss of one of their own.
Slowly, Tara managed to get her and Willow back to the chairs in the waiting room. She sat down and held on for dear life. The thought that it could be any of them that was no longer with them kept surging throughout her head.
And in Willow's. What would it be like if it had been Tara that had been killed. Could she have handled it? Would it send her over the edge and would she lose the control that was so tentative at best.
Buffy ran into the emergency room at that moment. She saw Anya and Xander standing next to each other, holding one another. Her eyes followed the path and she saw her best friend just crying and sobbing and in total pain. She knew in an instant what had happened.
"I'm so sorry." Buffy came up and sat next to Willow. She put a hand on the redhead's back. "Is there anything I can do for you? I really want to do anything that can help."
Willow finally pulled out of Tara's tight grip. "There's nothing that anyone can do. Oz sacrificed himself to save us. That's means a lot. He died a hero Buffy."
"Yeah." Buffy hugged her best friend. "Let's get you out of here. Xander, you got your car?" He nodded. "You'll be home in a jiffy. We'll clean up the place while you two just relax."

Buffy and the rest of the gang had been true to their word. The smashed door and all the other reminders of the showdown with Oz and his inner monster were now gone.
That left two lovers all alone. Tears had been spent and had stopped. It didn't mean there wouldn't be more tears. They were just done for now. For the ones that we love, there are always tears that remain.
The two young lovers were snuggled close in bed. Tara had her arms wrapped protectively around her everything. "Tara?" The blond smiled at her sweetly. "I need you. I know I said that I just wanted you to hold me, but I need you. Please."
Tara eyed her lover. "Are you sure?" Willow nodded and kissed her gently. "You know that whatever you want, you get." She kissed her. Kissed her like she never had before. And two women made love. To forget the pain, to know only love and pleasure. They held onto one another for dear life.
Sign up to rate and review this story