Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Zyorious Scepter

Chapter 6

by Syrus 0 reviews

Violet and Harry and co. finally get to Hogwarts.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor - Characters: Draco, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Sirius - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-11 - Updated: 2007-01-11 - 3358 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6

When Violet opened her eyes, she found herself in a dark, dingy setting. She looked over to Sirius and noticed that he was wearing a large wizard's hat and had a thick, bushy beard. She gave him a quizzical look.

Did he look like that before we left? She thought.

He then led her to the bar where he told the bartender that he had reserved a room under the name Hygrippa.

Hygrippa? What is all this about? She thought.

When Sirius led her up to the room, he said, "I'm sure you have many questions you want answered. I'm pretty sure it's safe to ask them now."

"First of all, where are we?" she asked.

"We are in the wizard pub called the Leaky Cauldron in London." answered Sirius.

"Next, what's with your get up?" she asked amused, "I know you didn't look like that when we left..."

To her surprise, Sirius's face took on a serious expression.

"You're right. I didn't look like this when we left. To explain why I'm wearing these clothes, I first need to ask you a question. How much did your father tell you about me?"

Violet looked at him with concern and said, "Nothing...I didn't even know you were my uncle until yesterday..."

"Well, there actually is a reason for that...a good reason too...Violet, do you know why your father left England?" asked Sirius.

"No...but I always just assumed he didn't like it there..." said Violet.

"No, Violet...he and our mum and dad left because of me. I think it's time you learned about your father's and my past before you ask any other questions. Actually I think it may answer a lot. Well your father and I lived with our parents in a wizard village here in England. Your grandmother was a witch while your grandfather was a Muggle. Your grandmother went to the best school for witchcraft and wizardry here in London. The name of that school is Hogwarts. In fact, I went there as well when I was young and that's where I'm taking you. We all had a happy family life until Voldemort began to rise to power."

Violet shuddered when she heard the name Voldemort. It reminded her of the Death Eater she had encountered. Sirius continued.

"He committed deeds that we thought no human being would be capable of committing...but then again he had given up his humanity in his greed for power. He began to gather followers, people who wanted power or who were just too afraid to stand up to him. Soon after graduating from Hogwarts, I was personally aiding in the fight against him, alongside my friends James and Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, and one who I thought was a friend, Peter Pettigrew. Soon, I came to learn that Peter was working for Voldemort himself when I was betrayed by him and I was then accused of being in Voldemort's inner circle. Before I could do anything to defend myself, I was thrown into the wizard prison of Azkaban. This was a great shock to your father and our parents. They knew nothing of my fight against Voldemort and so they were left with no option but to believe that I had been in his inner circle. This shamed our parents so they gave up life in the wizarding world and moved to America to live like Muggles. But Voldemort did not stop there. He succeeded in killing James and Lily, but he failed in killing their infant son, Harry. Fourteen years ago, Harry caused Voldemort to fall from power, but now I fear he will be making a comeback. He is after the Zyorious Scepter, which will return his powers to what they used to be. That is why I brought you here. You and the Scepter will be safe at Hogwarts."

After hearing all of this, Violet was shocked. She had never expected a story like this.

"This is why I have to wear these clothes. Because people still think that I am a criminal. Until my name is cleared, I must travel like this." he said.

"But how is Hogwarts safer than Notalans?" asked Violet.

"Because of Headmaster Dumbledore. He's the only one that Voldemort ever feared." replied Sirius.

"Wow! I can't believe my dad didn't tell me any of this stuff! All he told me was that his mom was a witch, so that's why I am. Now I wish I knew more about the rest of my magical relatives..." said Violet.

"Maybe when all of this blows over, your dad and I can tell you all about them." said Sirius, smiling.

"Thanks." Violet said.

"Well, tomorrow we need to go to Diagon Alley to make sure you have all your necessary school supplies for Hogwarts. The Hogwarts year is about to begin." said Sirius

"Their year is just beginning!?! And what's Diagon Alley?" asked Violet.

Sirius smiled.

"Tomorrow will be an interesting day." said Sirius.

*

Harry and Hermione arrived at Platform 9 ¾, getting ready to board the Hogwarts Express.

"I hope we have everything..." Hermione said, checking her things for the fifth time.

"Come on Hermione! We've got to get on the train!" said Harry.

"Okay, okay...Hey look, there's Ron!" said Hermione, pointing behind Harry.

Ron finally caught up to them.

"Sorry guys...mum was taking forever to check if we all had everything we needed..." said Ron.

They all heard the train whistle blow.

"Let's go!" said Harry.

They all got on as quickly as they could and the train pulled away from the station.

*

"Sophia! Hurry up and get your trunk over here! I saved us a cabin!"

Sophia McArthur hurried to catch up to Cho Chang. Like Cho, Sophia was a 6th year and was in the Ravenclaw House. She was on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team as well. She was a beater. Also she was one of Cho's good friends.

"Sophia!!" Cho called again.

"I'm coming!" Sophia replied this time as she scrambled along with her trunk.

Suddenly a wheel of the trunk got caught in the carpeting and it fell over to its side. Nothing really scattered except one item that was really important to her: her dragon claw necklace. It slid across the floor and came to a stop at someone's feet. Before Sophia could retrieve it, that person picked up the necklace.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here...Miss McArthur seems to have dropped her precious necklace..."

Sophia gave the person a dirty look.

"Give it back, Draco!" she said.

Draco gave Sophia a smug look and smirked.

"Why do that when I could just give it to Headmaster Dumbledore and tell him where you acquired this exquisite artifact?" he said.

Anger flashed in Sophia's eyes.

"You wouldn't." she said softly and threateningly.

"Oh, wouldn't I?" Draco replied, hinting at a challenge.

"And conveniently you would leave out of the story how you are involved in this!" Sophia bit out angrily.

"Hah! That is an unnecessary part of the story for my use..." Draco said.

Before Sophia could reply, someone came up from behind her.

"Hey Malfoy! Give her back the necklace!"

She turned around. It was Fred Weasley. Draco gave Fred an appraising look, and snorted in disdain.

"A Weasley telling me what to do!?! Hah! Come back to me when you can actually afford such idiocy!" Draco spat out.

Fred narrowed his eyes. He drew his wand from inside his robe.

"You want to make something of this, Draco?" Fred said very threateningly, "And I would be careful if I were you. You don't seem to have your mindless muscle men with you today..."

Draco gave Fred a withering look.

"I don't want to waste my magic on you." Draco said maliciously as he turned to Sophia and handed her the necklace, " 'till another day Miss McArthur..."

With that, Draco stalked off into another car. Sophia turned to Fred and spoke.

"Thank you."

"No problem. Draco can be a real flobberworm sometimes...By the way, my name's Fred Weasley." said Fred, as he held out a hand for her to shake.

"Hey you're a beater for the Gryffindor team!" said Sophia, taking his hand, "I'm Sophia McArthur. I'm one of the beaters on the Ravenclaw team."

"Really? We have something in common then..." said Fred.

Suddenly someone burst into the car.

"Fred! You really have to see what Lee has brought with -" started George.

He suddenly stopped when he noticed Sophia.

"Hey George. This is Sophia. She's one of the Ravenclaw beaters." said Fred.

"Umm...hi." said George.

I wonder why I never noticed her before? thought George.

"Well it was nice to meet you both. I really need to get my stuff into my car..." said Sophia.

"Do you need any help?" asked Fred.

"No, no. I'll be fine. Hopefully I'll see you guys around..." she said with a smile.

She turned to Fred.

"And thank you again, Fred."

"It was no trouble, really." He said.

"Bye!" she said as she rolled her trunk into the next car.

George turned and looked at Fred very confused.

"Wait! What just happened here?" he asked.

"Nothing George. Nothing important..." Fred replied.

*

Harry, Hermione, and Ron found an empty cabin and sat down.

"Did you guys hear?!? Snape's not going to be our Potions teacher this year! Now we won't have house points cut from us for no reason! I'm actually looking forward to Potions now!" said Ron.

"I wonder where Snape could be? It seems a little odd he's not going to be teaching us this year." said Hermione.

"I think he's on some kind of mission for Dumbledore." said Harry.

"Well, I don't really care as long as he's not here." said Ron.

"Speaking of people who aren't here, how's Sirius doing?" asked Hermione.

"Sirius said he was alright in his last letter to me. I haven't heard from him in a very long time...I hope everything is going well with the mission Professor Lupin and he were on..." replied Harry.

Their conversation was interrupted by the food cart lady. Ron got his regular regimen of Chocolate Frogs while Harry and Hermione dared to get some of Bertie Botts every-flavor beans. They decided to share a bag because they both felt they could not handle a bag each on their own. Harry reached nervously into the bag and pulled one out. It was bright green.

"What do you think this one is flavored Hermione?" asked Harry.

"I have no idea...it could be lime, or it could be booger flavored...I really don't want to find out...you try it!" Hermione said.

Harry slowly and hesitantly brought the jelly bean to his mouth. He closed his eyes and scrunched his face up in anticipation. After a few tentative chews, he opened his eyes and smiled.

"So which one is it?" asked Hermione, very curious.

"It was green apple!" said Harry, "Now you have to try one!"

Harry handed the bag to Hermione. She reluctantly took it. Ron opened his 5th Chocolate Frog.

"Awww man! I got Agrippa again!!" said Ron, "I've got like four of him! At least I got one of Celtina Crest...I was looking for her card for a while..."

Harry and Hermione smiled at him. Then Harry gave Hermione an impatient look.

"Well? Come on!" said Harry to Hermione.

"Yeah! Harry ate one!" said Ron.

"Well, he got a good one! I'm probably going to get tripe or something..." Hermione complained.

"But it's all about risks, Hermione! You'll never get anywhere unless you take the good with the bad!" said Ron.

"What's with you spouting all of this philosophy all of a sudden, Ron?" Hermione said, raising an eyebrow.

"Hmm...I don't know...maybe something was in the Chocolate Frogs..." Ron said as he smelled one of the boxes.

Everyone burst out laughing.

"Alright, alright. Hearing you tell me philosophy is worth a Bertie Botts jelly bean..." said Hermione as she reached into the bag.

The one she pulled out was carnation pink.

"I really hope this is strawberry..." she said, already expecting the worst.

She popped it quickly into her mouth to get it over with. After a few chews, she immediately seemed as if she would lose her lunch (or rather her breakfast...) She nearly gagged as she swallowed. Harry and Ron were almost afraid to ask what flavor she got. They waited until her face returned to it's normal color to ask.

"So Hermione...what flavor was it?" Harry asked, smiling in spite of himself.

She turned to face him and gave him a nasty look.

"It was lotion. I hope you two are satisfied!" she said, annoyed, "I never have good luck with Bertie Botts!"

Both Harry and Ron laughed.

"Man, I've never had lotion before! What did it taste like?" asked Ron.

Hermione shifted her angry glare to Ron. But suddenly her expression changed. She smiled. She reached into the bag and took out two jelly beans that were identical to the one she ate.

"Well, why don't you two tell me! I happen to have some more right here." she said as she stuffed them in the unsuspecting boys' mouths.

She laughed vengefully as they reacted to the flavor similarly.

When Harry could finally speak without gagging, he said, "Why'd you do that?!?"

Hermione smiled and said, "Never mock a girl who had to eat a nasty Bertie Botts jelly bean!"

*

"Violet, check the list one more time. Are you sure you have everything you need?" Sirius asked.

Violet quickly surveyed all her new books, parchment, ink, quills, and other supplies she and Sirius had bought earlier. She looked at the list again.

"Yeah. I think I am set." she replied, "and Mr. Black..."

"Sirius, please. I find it rather awkward that my own niece is addressing me so formally..." Sirius said with a smile.

Violet back at him.

Hey he's not so bad...I can see why dad liked him so much... Violet thought.

"Sirius...thanks." said Violet.

Sirius just smiled in return. He checked his watch.

"Oh wow! We had better leave now! And we will need the help of a friend to get there." said Sirius.

"Who?" Violet asked, now very curious.

Sirius smiled again.

"You'll see." he said.

*

The Hogwarts Express finally reached its destination. Everyone had already changed into their robes on the train. Harry, Hermione, and Ron struggled to stay together as everyone hurriedly filed outside. They made their way to the carriages that would take them along with all the other upper year students to Hogwarts. The three got their own carriage. As Harry looked out of the window, he saw Hogwarts rising up from the distance. As the carriage passed through the large iron gates, Harry felt like he was coming home at last. Finally the ride was over. Everyone got out and walked up the great stone steps of the school. As they walked through the torch lit hall, they passed the first years nervously waiting to be sorted. Harry remembered how scared he was when he first got here. They all hurried to the Gryffindor table as the other students went to their respective house tables. The Sorting Ceremony was about to start. Everyone watched the first years walk anxiously into the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall followed them with the stool and the Sorting Hat. Then she passed the students and put down the stool where everyone could see it. She placed the hat on top of the stool and took a few steps backward. The hat began to sing.

Here again we gather together,

To learn what we forgot,

We find many worthwhile qualities in each other,

Because we're a hardy lot!

We look to our houses and we see,

Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, Gryffindor,

Houses of upstanding character and nobility,

Who could ask for anything more?

In Gryffindor dwell the brave of heart,

In Ravenclaw dwell the wise,

The hard workers of Hufflepuff also set themselves apart,

As does Slytherin who acquire their needs through cunning plots they devise.

Separate in our houses do these qualities go,

Each person brave or noble or true at that,

What house you belong in exactly I know,

Have no fear, because I'm the Sorting Hat!

The Great Hall erupted into cheers on the conclusion of the song. Then Professor McGonagall pulled out the name list from some unseen pocket in her robes and began to read.

"Allen, Christopher!"

A timid boy walked slowly up to the stool and sat down. The hat was placed on his head. Almost immediately the hat yelled, "HUFFLEPUFF!!" He excitedly took off the hat and joined his table amid the cheers he was receiving from his house. The hat continued similarly for the rest of the first years while everyone watched and cheered. Finally the Sorting was over. Dumbledore then stood up to have a few words.

"Before we get to eating, I'd like introduce our new Potions professor, Professor Nightshade. She is here substituting for Professor Snape since he has other business to attend to this year. In his absence, she will serve as the head of Slytherin house."

There were a few whispers of surprise around the hall from the people who did not hear of Snape being absent or who did not read their school letters very closely that informed them of this.

"I have one more bit of disturbing news to share with everyone. Due to the events involving our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the past few years, I have had great trouble finding someone brave enough to fill the post. I thought we had found one that could teach you many valuable lessons last year, but I was dreadfully mistaken."

Harry thought once again of the events of last year and visibly shuddered.

"So, for this year, Professor McGonagall has graciously offered to give Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons in addition to her own Transfiguration lessons, since these are times in which we need such lessons direly. Now let us concentrate on our feast, as this is not the time to dwell on bad events of the past with this food in front of us. Dig in!"

Lots of great food appeared as it always did on the empty plates in front of everyone. When everyone had eaten their fill of the wonderful food set in front of them, Professor Dumbledore stood up again to make a few last minute announcements. He cleared his throat and began to speak again.

"Most of us here have heard this many times before, but there are a few start of term notices I must give. First entrance to the forest at the edge of the grounds is completely forbidden to all pupils. Second, our caretaker Mr. Filch has asked me to remind all of you that there is to be no magic in the halls between classes. And last, but certainly not least, Quidditch tryouts will be held in the second week of the term. I encourage anyone who is interested in playing for their house team to contact Madame Hooch. And, I do encourage everyone to behave carefully and responsibly since the present is not as carefree as it was some years past. That is all! Now off to bed!"

Everyone got up and trudged to their dormitories, very full from the start of term feast. Harry and Ron said good bye to Hermione in the Common Room and went to their respective rooms. As Harry got under the covers, he was happy to be back to the world he belonged.

*

Fred lay awake in bed thinking about Sophia.

I wonder why I never noticed her before? he thought.

"Hey Fred! You still awake?" asked George in a hushed whisper.

"Yeah." Fred whispered back.

"That Sophia was something, wasn't she? But I wonder what was up with her and Draco, huh?" said George.

"Yeah..." Fred replied reflectively.

George said nothing more, apparently drifting off to sleep. Fred, on the other hand, did not. He lay awake and wondered.
Sign up to rate and review this story