Categories > Original > Humor > Five Minute Soap Dish

Week 4

by johmichaels 0 reviews

Inside the club, Steve and a reluctant Nick try to pick up.

Category: Humor - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Published: 2007-01-21 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1035 words - Complete

0Unrated
Week 4

"So...which of you guys wants to dance?"
Nick and Steve looked over their shoulder at this girl. Neither bothered turning their bar stools around. Nick opened his mouth to say something but was stopped by a steady arm from Steve.
"Please don't," he said to his friend, before saying, "I don't think we're ready for a dance yet. Not drunk enough."
"Oh come on!" the girl insisted, "I won't take no for an answer."
Steve was about to get off his bar stool, when he was stopped by a restraining arm from Nick.
"How about "Fuck off and die you fat slut,"-is that an acceptable answer?"
The girl was momentarily shocked, but regained her resolve-"All I wanted was a dance? What's your problem?"
"Cancer, if you must know! Terminal too!" Nick shouted, "Now don't you feel pleased."
Aghast, the girl ran off. A grin appeared on Nick's face, and he returned to facing straight at the bar, pondering his lemon squash.
"You didn't need to say that."
"I though we had a deal, Steve. You hate me for what I say, and I hate you for what you do-perfect!"
"I could have picked her up!" Steve hissed.
"No you couldn't. She came with a group of friends-they wouldn't have let her leave on her own-especially in that state she'd need to be if she was going to share your bed. So, really, I saved you precious time in pretending to care about her, and even more precious money in drinks, hotel rooms, and outlandish lies. Tell me, how's your German television network going?"
"Der Stevenspiel? Ratings are solid."
The two just sat there for a short time, sipping their drinks.
"Come on! Let's do something. I didn't come here just to look at you mope!" Steve shouted.
"I didn't even want to come here-" Nick noticed his arm being pulled by Steve.
"We're going to speak to some girls, on some tables, and I won't take no for an answer," Steve insisted.
Nick grimaced, "Don't make me repeat the same line again!"
With a mighty tug, Nick came off his stool, and stumbled along. He attempted to pull away but decided it would look too silly for a young adult to be pulled along by another young adult. %Steve's eyes caught a table of four young asian girls.
"Brilliant-full steam ahead to same sweet oriental beauty!" Steve called, walking over swiftly to their table, with Nick reluctantly following, "I talk, you make me seem great in comparison."
"Yeah, because I've done that before," Nik said to receive a slight slap-slight enough to show Nik that Steve was kidding, but strong enough to show Steve had a hint of seriousness.
"Be good-don't try to make me look bad! I'm only going to tell you this once. Understand?"
Nick nodded and the pair continued towards the table.
"Sorry to disturb you girls, but Nick and I saw you sitting all alone like that, and we thought we had to come over and relieve that."
One of the girls smiled, raising one eyebrow, "You noticed us from across a crowded dance floor?"
"Well, yes, you are quite noticeable-don't put yourself down," Steve continued, "Plus I can sense isolation, I see auras."
The same girl responded, "There's four of us! How could we be alone?"
Steve shrugged, "Oh, you can feel alone in a room full of people, can't you? That longing gap between you and another person-it's that sense of aloneness that I'm here to fill."
The girl smiled, she was clearly enjoying Steve's company.
"What about your friend, does he speak?" another one of the girls asked.
Steve turned to see Nick was starring blankly at the girls, moving only slightly.
"Sure he does. Don't be shy, Nick," Steve gave Nick a non-too-subtle nudge.
After repeated nudge Nick let out a low ominous groan. All the girls began to stare in confusion and slight fear. Steve grinned nervously.
"He's just joking, aren't you Nick?"
"WOMAN!" Nick yelled out, making a leap for the girls, hands outstretched. Steve quickly grabbed onto his shirt, pulling him back from the terrified girls.
After an awkward pause one of the girls said, "We're going to go now."
"It was just a joke," Steve insisted, desperately, "A stupid joke my friend played."
"Sure, whatever. But you're still holding your friend, aren't you?"
Steve saw he was still grabbing hold of Nick's shirt, and Nick was pulling away, arms outstretched at the quickly departing girls.
"A joke, I swear," Steve said, but the girls soon left. He let go of Nick, "Why the hell did you do that? I totally was in there."
"I made you look good, didn't I? I mean, compared my character, resembling a sex offender, you were hot property," Nick explained, a wide grin on his face.
"I hate you."
"Yeah, well, me, Kelly and apparently Gia are the only people who'll put up with you, so get used to it."
Steve raised a hand, but stopped himself from hitting his friend.
"No! I'll see this as a challenge. There must be someone in this club who won't be scared off by your sex offender character," Steve muttered, mainly himself.
"There's the bouncer."
"Shut up Nick!" Steve hissed at his friend, his eyes monitoring the club, before his eyes finding a pair of girls, "Brilliant! Goth girls. Low self esteem combined with innate rebellious streak-they'll love you even more if you were a sex offender, especially if you link it somehow to a rebellion against the state. Half of them are bisexual, so even if you turn one off, I can probably swoop in and score with both of them. Definitely them, definitely. I'll get laid after all."
"I'll just have to think harder," Nick responded, "Or you could just tell me to leave."
"No!" Steve said, poking Nick in the chest, "I'm not giving you the satisfaction. I could screw anyone on my own-but with you around, that's a challenge. A challenge I will succeed at!"
The two guys walked towards the goth girls.
"Okay," Steve whispered, "Try and get the thin one to talk to me, and you keep the fat one busy."
Sign up to rate and review this story