Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > The First Breakfast

A Long Night

by annadb8goddess 0 reviews

Roy is furor. He's engaged to Kate and Riza gets drunk. Fun, happiness and a hangover ensue.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Characters: Cain Fury, Jean Havoc, Riza Hawkeye, Roy Mustang - Published: 2007-02-05 - Updated: 2007-02-06 - 2767 words

0Unrated

NOTE: I own nothing of FullMetal Alchemist. I wish i did but I don't.

He found Hawkeye at a hole-in-the-wall hick bar. It was a place that played old country songs about losing a lover or having to kill your horse or something like that.

She looked like a ten miles of bad road. Her usual strict hairstyle had chunks and Strands hanging down obscuring around her face and it looked like she hadn't washed it in a week. She was dressed in her military pants and her black undershirt while her military jacket was balled up on the floor at her feet. As Roy got closer he could see her eyes were red rimmed and blood shot. She had one arm lying on the bar and her head rested on her other hand. Her usually sharp, beautiful face was pale.

"Hawkeye?" he asked in disbelief.

Riza slowly looked over at him. When she recognized him she tried to stand and solute but she stumbled over her own feet. Fortunately she was able to grab the barstool before fell onto the floor. She tried again but failed.

"Damn it!" she cursed keeping her head down and not looking at him. Instead of acknowledging him like she had tried she just sat down on her barstool and ordered another beer. Roy cut off that order before the bartender could fill it.

"She's done." He told him, sitting to her left, the bartender just nodded and went on to serving other customers.

She mumbled a curse at him, then grabbed her bottle and nursed the last little bit of alcohol in it.

"Hmm, no more," She sighed as she stared into it at the bottom, "Figures." She started spinning it like a telescope and making faces like a five-year-old would. Which would have been funny if it hadn't been so sad. It tore Roy's heart to see the strong woman break down and drink herself into a stupor.

"Hawkeye what's gotten into you?" he asked her taking the bottle out of her hands.

"Hey that's mine!" she yelled at him trying to grab it back. Her breath had the sent of alcohol abuse. She lost her balance and almost fell to the floor again but Mustang caught her, "ops." She said softly giggling a little.

"Yeah ops." He sat her back upon the barstool and paid her tab,
"time to go Riza," this situation was so informal that it didn't bother him that he had used her first name. He took his general's arm, put it over his shoulder and started to lead her out of the bar.

They were in the parking lot before she realized they were leaving. Then she started to resist.

"No, I don't want to leave!" she slurred, trying to take her arm back and stumble back into the bar but Mustang wasn't going to allow that.

"Yes you do," her told her, "when you get over this that's the last place you'll want yourself to be."

"But I want another beer!" she whined still trying to get her arm back or head Mustang over there. Then her face looked like she had thought of an excellent thing, "we should do shots! Oh come on Mustang! We'll go and have fun and drink and party. It'd be so much fun!"

"No." 'Fun,' 'drink' and 'party' weren't in the general's vocabulary.

"Come on Havoc and Breeda and Falman did them with me, and-"

"Drank till they passed out. No Riza, I need to get you home."

Hawkeye crinkled her nose at him and finally succeeded at getting her arm back, "you go home, I'm going to go see my friends," she started to walk but stumbled again and fell to her knees and hands. She cursed and then started into giggle fits.

Roy let out a frustrated Breath. He knew Hawkeye had done this a hundred times for him but he didn't think he'd ever been this difficult.

"Alright, enough games, where do you live?" He realized that in all the years he'd known her he didn't know where her house was. Whenever She'd take him there to get him sobered he'd been to drunk or too hung over to remember.

"Uh, um, pft," she giggled some more and shrugged while she lay on the ground, "I can't remember! That's funny! I can't remember! Pft!"

He sighed. There were two things he could do. He could drop her off at the hospital, just incase she had alcohol poisoning or he could take her back to his place and see if she would sober up. If he took her to the hospital it would look like she was an alcoholic and the military had a bad enough reputation as it was about that kind of thing. Roy picked her back up and replaced her arm over his shoulder.

"Then you're going to my house."

"Owie!" She said looking at her free hand, "I hurt myself Roy!"

"Yes, you did," What could of happened that would make her act like this? Drinking alone at a bar instead of going to work? There was something really wrong with her.

She shook her hand as if the pain was water and could be shaken off, "It stings."

"It'll do that," he said as he opened the car and put her inside. A Song in the hick bar came drifting though to where they were.

"Hey I know that song!" she shrieked, " 'There's a tear in my beer cuss I'm crying for you dear...' "

She eventually got bored of the song and went back to studying her hands.

He sighed as he got into the car. Spending the night with his drunk General may be less wearing than spending three hours with his fiancée.

"Hey you want to see something cool?" she asked him before he could put the key's in the ignition. Hawkeye didn't use the word cool.

"Sure," How much could it really hurt?

He was proven that it could hurt quite a bit. Hawkeye reached down
into her hip holster and shot at the knot in a nearby tree. Though she missed her mark by an inch, she still hit the tree.
"Damn it! I had it but the stupid tree moved!"

Mustang grabbed the gun out of her hands. "No more of that! Give me the rest of them too!"

"No! They're mine! You can't have them!" she shouted, taking the holsters and putting them where he couldn't get at them.

"Hawkeye give them here." His tone threatened, "I'm not going to torch them or anything."

Wrong choice of words.

"No! I don't want them melted! They're mine!" she really was afraid that he would burn them. It was like she was stuck into the mindset of a child. How did you get a selfish child to give up her toys?

"I'm not going to do anything to them, I just want to see them." He told her, "you do have to share you know."

Riza snarled but handed them over, There where only three.
"I want to see them all Riza."

Hawkeye gave a big sigh and gave the last gun up. He carefully put them in the back seat when she wasn't looking.

"Hey where'd they go?" She demanded.

"Where'd what go?" He asked as he started up the car.

"You killed them!" She gasped, then she looked as if she might
cry, "Your so mean! You're evil!"

"Um, Hey look, uh, There's the Elrics!" He said pointing out on her side of the car. He could barely deal with the five-year-old Riza, he didn't think he could handle with a crying one.

"Where?" she asked forgetting all about her guns. She lifted her head and looked out the window. If only she'd pass out of something maybe they'd be fine but as long as she was awake Roy had his hands full.

She giggled again; "I forgot my jacket."

Roy Rolled his eyes, "I'll get it you just stay put." He jumped out of the car and ran to grab Riza's jacket. Then he ran back before she could find where he had hidden her guns.

Riza was sitting with her back straight and her hands in her lap. Her feet were moving like she was bored. He sat back down in the car and pulled out.

"I didn't move just like you said," she slurred, trying to lie on the expanse of the seat. "Am I a good girl?"

When did Hawkeye ever need his approval on weather she was a good or not?

"Yeah, you're a good girl." It was like talking to Elsicia, except Riza was more immature when she was drunk.

She was now lying across the seat staring at the roof. They didn't talk for a long time then she broke the silence.

"You're getting married huh?"

Roy was taken aback by the sudden randomness of this question.

"Yeah, I guess I am," his tone wasn't as joyful as he wanted it to be.

"You don't sound to that happy about it," She observed shaking her head.

He realized she was right. He had been when he had asked Kate, but now it seemed more like work than pleasure.

"I know if the man I loved asked me to marry him I'd be really happy." She told him, her voice seemed really far off, like she was daydreaming, "and I'd tell him yes, and he'd kiss me and I'd be the happiest woman ever."

Roy smiled. Hawkeye had never mentioned anything too personal to him before.

"Is that true?"

"Yep, but it's never going to happen. I'm gonna live alone. Just me, my doggie and my guns."

So her love must have left her. That had to be why she had been so
upset that she felt to the need to be at the bar.
"So who was the lucky man?" He asked out of curiosity

She shook her head. "Doesn't matter, he doesn't love me."

"How do you know?" he was just trying to pass the time now.

"He never told me, he never showed me. He showed other girls though. He brought them to his house and they wouldn't leave till late in the morning."

"I'm sorry," he apologized even though he really didn't know why.

"It's ok, I should be used to it by now," She slurred sadly.

"You stood by him when he did that?"

"Yeah, I always have, even when he was a bastard." she tilted her head that lay against the seat to look up at his face. "What's she like?"

"Who?" he asked, he had just been thinking about how many people who would've killed the man who made Hawkeye hurt like that, him included.

"Your bride to be?"

"We're here." He ended the conversation there, parking the car in his driveway.

Hawkeye slowly sat back up and stared at the house.
"That's not mine," she said really calmly.

"No, that house is mine, you forgot where yours is remember?" he asked going over to the other side.

"Pft, That was funny," she giggled a little as Roy pulled her from the car and led her into the house.

"You'll have to stay with me till you remember," Riza had pulled her arm away from Roy and was stumbling across the small living room. When she passed he smelt the stale alcohol on her clothes. Furry must have smelled it too, that's why he thought she had been there instead of work. He sighed as he realized He'd have to literally baby the one who always had babysat him. He'd have to clean her clothes and give her something else to wear while they were washing. Not to mention that she had to sleep some where. He really hadn't thought this through had he?

Hawkeye falling over again brought him out of his thoughts.
"I fell again." She said in a very kid's tone. The only thing that would probably heal her would be to sleep it off.

"You've got to stop that," He told her, picking her back up and walking her down the hall to his room. His house was almost barren except for the essentials for bachelors living, so he didn't have another place for her to sleep except for with him in his bed. He'd make sure nothing happened to her in her sleep. He'd known a few people to choke on their own vomit while they slept before.

Plopping on to Roy's bed, Riza looked around. "I want to sleep here."

"Good cause your going to have to," His next choice word choice would test Hawkeye's sobriety, "Undress."

Riza just shrugged and started taking off her shirt Mustang tugged it down again.

"Riza wait until I've got you something else to wear," A sober Riza would have told him to go to hell and slapped him. She wasn't anywhere near where she should be.

"Ok," she smiled and placed her hands in her lap again.

"Wait right here," Roy told her. He went to a built in shelf in his closet. It was half full of clothes women had left at his house. Most he couldn't remember which girl they had belonged to. He pulled out the shirt with the most cover (it's neck was still pretty low) and a pair of flannel pants.

When he turned around Hawkeye was no longer sitting up she was lying on her back with her feet still hanging off the bed. Her eyes were shutting.

"Riza, you need to change so we can wash your uniform," Mustang said pulling on her arms a bit.

"I don't care," she slurred not moving an inch, "I want to sleep."

"You can as soon as we get you ready." He told her, pulling her to a sitting position. She didn't help. He gave her the clothes, "are you going to do this or am I?"

"I don't care," that was becoming a common saying. Roy sighed; it looked like he'd have to risk the likely beating for giving her fresh clothes that she would undoubtedly appreciate in the morning.

"Alright, arms up." She did as she was told until Roy had her redressed in the clothes that he had.

"Can I sleep yet?" she asked, flopping back into the bed.

Mustang put her feet on the bed and under the old quilt. "Yeah, you can."

She closed her crimson-brown eyes and sighed.

As her lashes touched her cheeks she regained some of the beauty the alcohol had stolen from her. Roy had never really looked at her like this before. She hardly ever slept at the office unless they pulled all nighters and she was usually the one to wake him up. If things had been different, he probably would have asked her out on a date a long time ago.

He walked into his bathroom as he thought. Getting ready and dressed for sleep as well.

In a few months there wouldn't be any more dates, no more one-night stands. No more women asking for his phone numbers. Just
one woman would be in his life. Just Kate, Just Kate forever and ever, tills death do they part. So every day he would wake up and fall asleep to the grim face she always wore when sleeping. She was absolutely beautiful as long as she wasn't asleep. Not like Riza, she was angelic when she slept. or when she was dead drunk.
He shook his head he shouldn't be thinking like that when his wedding was in three months. Kate was the one he said he wanted to live with for the rest of his life. He said she was the one he wanted to have a family with. Suddenly he felt like he hadn't really meant any of it. He couldn't get rid of the feeling that the woman he'd been talking about was in the next room sleeping to her hangover.

Slowly he walked into his bedroom carefully getting into bed as to not wake the sleeping woman. As he lay next to her he realized two things. First was that she'd turned over to face him instead of the outside. And second was that she was most likely to be the last woman he slept with besides Kate. Literally speaking of course.

He turned his head to watch her sleep. He never really did that with any other woman. Just a few and usually he was too tired to try and commit their faces to memory, but Hawkeye was too beautiful not to.

Eventually he fell asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story