Categories > Original > Humor > Five Minute Soap Dish

Week 25

by johmichaels 0 reviews

Kelly decides to have some fun of her own-at the expense of poor Mark.

Category: Humor - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-06-16 - Updated: 2007-06-17 - 969 words - Complete

0Unrated
Week 25

The party had calmed somewhat since the two guests had left. Steve, initially annoyed by Nick's actions, had calmed somewhat, and the two guys were hanging around the food table, laughing about the event. Meanwhile, Gia and Kelly had started to introduce themselves to each other's partners.
"Well, it was certainly a different dinner party then I've been to," Mark was saying to Kelly.
"It's a bit weird, but at least the food is nice," Kelly said, half eating the small ricotta and sweet potato frittata, "The last time I remember Nick preparing this much food...well he'd just been dumped. And he was taking it out on everyone."
"How so?"
"Salt. Lots of salt, in everything. Sweets especially. He wanted no one to have sugar that evening," Kelly explained, then something clicked, "How many other dinner parties have you gone to? I mean, I don't know anyone else who has dinner parties apart from Nick. At least, no one who invites women to them."
"Oh, my ex and I would have them all the time. Well, once every two months we'd find a reason to have one."
"Perhaps you could start having them again with Gia soon," Kelly said.
"Oh, can Gia cook?"
"She can learn. Look at her, she's young, perky, without the cynicism that seems to surround her. I think she'd give anything a shot. I mean, she gave you a shot didn't she?" Kelly explained, smiling at Mark's shocked expression, "Kidding. Seriously, if you can't make it past my gentle humour, you'll never survive Steve, or even worse, Nick. Or worse still, both of them together. You know, he thought you were a serial killer once."
"Who? Steve?"
"No, Nick. Steve didn't accept you existed for quite a while. I think he does now though."
"Um...'kay," Mark said, confused, "I'm not really sure what question to ask first."
"Go for the serial killer one."
"Oh....'kay. Er, why did Nick think I was a serial killer?"
"He was just reminding Gia that she didn't know much about you, specifically she didn't know your surname. And being a cynical bastard, he decided to immediately tell her the worse possible scenario. In the hopes that she'd learn more about you," Kelly explained.
"But that doesn't make sense. Just because she knows my surname, doesn't mean I'm a serial killer. I mean, I could have given her a false name or even if she knew my name, I might have never been caught, so she'd still..." Mark tailed off as he realised what he was saying, "Of course I'm not a serial killer."
Kelly rolled her eyes at him, "Hey, I believe you. But you...you seem to be in some doubts."
"No, I'm...but, seriously, I couldn't-let's change topics, okay?" Mark said, clearly having lost his cool, "So, we've now described Nick fairly well, what about Steve?"
"What's to say? He's a selfish prick, who sadly gets the job done and is somehow charming enough that I keep him on at the station. Plus Nick likes him."
"Really? Why?"
"Well, I've thought about this, and...I guess they have a common interest. They both like belittling others and taking pleasure in their misery. The only real difference is that Steve usually does this to make some sort of selfish gain. Nick just does it for fun. Truly, they're made for each other."
The last line struck Mark, who did a double take, "Made for each other? What do you mean? Like they're...partners?"
"Yeah-they're always doing stuff together. They've been together long before I met either of them."
Mark paused, "I think I'm getting a mixed message here, but just to be clear, are you telling me they're a couple? Like, in a relationship together?"
"No! No, no. Of course Steve's not," Kelly said as an instant reaction, until her mind came up with a better response, "He's bi. And Nick, definitely is."
"So, those two guys," Mark said, pointing at where Nick and Steve were still joking, "They're...."
"Lovers. It's sort of like a game between them. Steve feels desire for women, so goes after them, but Nick doesn't like it, so tries to break them up. Nice to watch from the sidelines."
Mark laughed lightly, "God, do I feel stupid."
"How so?"
"Well, when I believe you locked Gia and Steve in together, I was so worried that Steve had tried to move onto her. And even when I was talking to Gia, I was worried that there was something unspoken going on between her and Nick. And now...well, Nick definitely wouldn't want to, and Steve would probably be prevented from doing anything by Nick, right?"
"Oh definitely. I bet you absolutely harassed Gia over it," Kelly said.
"Oh yeah."
"And Steve too?"
"Well, not really, but I've kinda been avoiding him because-"
"Hey!" Kelly cut him off, "Don't do that! You'll just feel guilty. Look, they're both just on the other side of the room. Why don't you go and apologise to them."
Mark smiled at Kelly's suggestion, "Yes, yes I'll do that. Thanks Kelly."
Kelly had a wicked grin as he walked off, which was quickly dropped when he turned back to face her. "Y'know, when I first met you, I thought you were just trying to make a fool of me. Sadistic, and twisted like all the rest. But honestly, Kelly, you've really been one of the nicest people I met."
"Thanks," Kelly said with a smile. Mark returned it and then walked off to speak to Nick and Steve. When she was sure he was out of earshot, Kelly murmured, "Oh Mark, you beautiful, naïve boy; how little you know me."
She then went to pick up a glass of champagne, anticipating the show yet to come.
Sign up to rate and review this story