Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > An Unexpected Birthday Present

The End of One Thing and the Beginning of Another

by awe-or-sympathy 0 reviews

A fan's golden birthday turns out to be more than she ever imagined when she attends a concert for Panic! At the Disco.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-07-19 - Updated: 2007-07-19 - 1062 words

0Unrated
Amanda's POV
Despite my constantly changing thoughts, I was still, more than anything, nervous as we sat there in silence. I had to say something. The only reason I was taking so long to sort out my thoughts was because I wanted my words to be extremely accurate. I didn't want to lie to him, not that anything I said would be a full out lie, it just might not be the truth entirely.

So when I finally spoke, I was just about trembling with nervousness. I managed to keep still as much as I could, and evidently, it worked because he didn't seem to notice. He didn't say anything, though, which gave me another reason to be nervous. Once I broke the looming silence that fell upon us once again, however, he seemed to snap out of whatever train of thought he had started and changed the subject to make me feel so much better about the whole thing.

"So, what now?" The smile on my face disproved the apprehensive tone in which I had spoken.

When we started talking, I was glad that things were settled, and what had happened before was put behind us. It was like a happy ending to a wonderful story that I never would have dreamed to be any more realistic. The only thing was that I didn't want it all to be over. Ryan would leave, and although we had way to keep in contact, we wouldn't get to see each other face-to-face for a very, very long time. And because of this, I tried my best to stay with him as long as I could and make the most of the time given to us (however "us" would have been defined at the time...)

We talked for a while, on a variety of subjects, but I wasn't sure how long exactly. It was amazing - as if I was talking to a friend I had known as a kid without talking to them for a week. The fact that we were almost perfect strangers didn't bother me whatsoever. And all the while, I managed to avoid the subjects of fame and age, because I knew that with those out of the way, we could both be at ease and comfortable in each others company.

I'll never forget how the whole thing got started. After the natural pause that occurred, I reached into my pocket and asked him a simple question: "Do you want some gum?"

He didn't refuse. "Winterfresh?" he asked when I saw his eyes glance down to the blue package in my hand. I smiled and nodded. And from there he went on explaining a myth he had heard about it which had made him reluctant to chew it until he was told otherwise. I gave him a bit of a life-lesson that I was almost sure he had heard before: not to believe everything he heard. But then again, it was just gum. From that simple subject, other stories, theories, kind words, smiles and laughter rang throughout the room.

We remained in casual positions on the carpeted floor all the while. I went with the usual and pulled my knees up to my chest with my arms loosely hugging them. It normally made me look insecure, but I kept my eyes on him while we conversed, taking in how he was sitting, too. With each change of subject, I noticed that he changed how his was sitting, but in a gradual way. First, he started out with his legs outstretched in front of him, his eyes partially watching his rotating ankle, as I had seen him do in a few videos on the internet when he was in an interview.

Once we had both opened up with our stories and opinions, it left and never came back, I figured because of the fact that it wasn't an interview at all. He wouldn't have to explain something that he had done to numerous magazines and TV shows in the past. The whole conversation could have been taken however we wanted it to. He didn't have to tell me the truth, or retell anything to me if he didn't want to. It wasn't like I was going to broadcast the whole scene word for word to the world. It was something that I would remember for as long as forever.

Ryan's POV
I couldn't even think of anyone to compare her to once we started talking. A simple piece of gum had started the entire conversation, but we ended up laughing and smiling the whole way through it. If I at all had to describe her in some way, I would have said that she had the most unexpected ways to make me laugh. Sometimes I don't even think she was trying to be humorous, but she was just cute like that. She reminded me of an adult who was still a kid at heart. And for all I knew, she could have been just that. I was polite enough not to ask, though. As a matter of fact, I was as polite as I could have been. I liked her enough to respect her and treat her nicely. It was nice to know that I had made a good friend who did the same thing in return.

Just as I was coming to the climax of the retelling of when Brendon had encountered his first Red Bull, there was a knock on the door. That was when all of the good energy that was once flowing plentifully through the room evaporated, and we exchanged looks of concern. Before I had the chance to call out to the person on the other side, Amanda did.

"Who is it?" she shouted. I hinted the annoyance in her voice, but didn't blame her for it. She had seemed to be intently interested in the story. There was no response. There was no noise of the door handle turning to open. There was only silence. My eyes turned away from her for a moment to stare at the door, then I looked back, considering that maybe whoever it was had left. But I had my mind set on the idea not to do anything until the person behind the door took action first, hoping that Amanda was thinking the same thing.

I didn't want to leave.
Sign up to rate and review this story