Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Day by day, week by week

Unlikely Protector

by Mirime 0 reviews

Rin gains an unlikely protector.

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Rin - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2008-03-06 - Updated: 2008-03-06 - 964 words

0Unrated
Week: 8

Prompt: When what you want doesn't happen, learn to want what does

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was easy to see him anytime she wanted. All she had to do was to fly over to his small group and watch him. She was finally free to do as she pleased, able to go wherever she wished, feel whatever she wanted. Naturally, she felt compelled to follow him as she had done so many times in her previous life.

And then there was the girl. His only weakness, though for a very long time all of his enemies were wrong as to the extent of his feelings, herself included. They thought her his property, more fragile than others and therefore more vulnerable to attack. Hurting her would mean hurting his pride and honour, nothing more, nothing less. Such a mistake on their part.

As Kagura observed Sesshoumaru and Rin, she didn't see an owner and a live toy. She didn't see a master and a servant and most of all, she didn't see a youkai and a human. What she saw... she wasn't sure. He cared for the little girl and she adored him. Her feelings were easy to understand. Few would remain unaffected by Sesshoumaru's appearance, strength and inherent grace. As for the girl...

She was cute, for a human child, that is. Certainly more adorable than Hakudoushi or the fox brat of Inuyasha's group. She felt things so deeply, not afraid to show her feelings and weaknesses. And she had such a good heart, so ready to forgive even those who attempted to hurt her. She forgave Kohaku and she even forgave Kagura. Naivety, some would scoff and call it a human foolishness. But maybe it was a spiritual strength yet unheard of, an ability to see good in the evil hearts. And that would help to explain how she came to be in Sesshoumaru's company when any other child would run away as fast as their legs would carry them.

Kagura let out a little laugh that carried as a light breeze. She was getting too involved in her thoughts. Her purpose here was different. When she decided to follow through with her idea, she was surprised at herself and her selflessness. But after witnessing Sesshoumaru's descent to Hell to save Rin and the aftermath of her second death, she knew this was something she had to do. The girl was above being precious to Sesshoumaru. It was as if Rin was the only thing that mattered to him. Hurting her wouldn't mean hurting his pride and honour. It would mean hurting him personally, something that was considered impossible. At least until the girl had come along.

At the time of her death, Kagura was overjoyed he came to see her and say goodbye. She thought that the compassion he showed her meant he could have felt something for her, no matter how weak those feelings were. Looking back at that moment, she realized that the compassion was all it was. There were no deeper feelings on his part. His emotions were reserved for the human child and even his passing kindness to the wind sorceress was born from those feelings.

How she wanted to hate the girl. But she couldn't, not after seeing the girl's sadness when Rin heard about her death. Rin wasn't Kagura's rival, or rather, Kagura would never be a rival to Rin, not even if the sorceress had lived. In the youkai's world, where genuine feelings were rare and reduced to caring for the closest family, sometimes not even that, having someone to care for you without any ulterior motive was so incredible and incomprehensible that you protected those who did.

In Kagura's mind, the equation was simple. Sesshoumaru cared for Rin. If the girl got hurt, he would get hurt. Kagura didn't want that. If she couldn't be the one he cared for, than she would make sure that no harm would come to the one holding his feelings. So she took to following the girl and looking after her, protecting her when Sesshoumaru wasn't there. Sure, there were the other three members of Sesshoumaru's entourage but they were hard-pressed to keep up with the little girl's energy. Besides, the two-headed dragon couldn't follow her to the small crevices and caves she loved to explore, the toad had a propensity for falling asleep or grumbling under his breath so much he forgot to watch out for the danger. And Kohaku was a boy. A boy who could take only so much interest in the various flowers Rin picked and who missed his sister so much that it hurt inside.

In the end, it was up to Kagura to look after the girl and keep her out of trouble. Wherever Rin went, the wind followed. If a youkai thought a little girl would make a fine meal, he found himself corrected by the blinding whirlwind appearing from nowhere and pushing him away. If Rin climbed up a tree to reach that delicious looking fruit dangling so temptingly at the end of the highest limb and than slipped and fell down, her fall was cushioned by the air itself, making it look as if she was floating down instead of falling. And if she had gone too far from the camp and lost her way, the wind was there to guide her safely back. The strangest thing about it all was the fact Rin always thanked her unseen protector.

"Thank you for scaring away the youkai."

"Thank you for catching Rin."

"Thank you for showing Rin the way."

She was truly a sweet child. No, Kagura wasn't entirely happy. But she was free and she could help the one important person in her life. Being content was enough for her.
Sign up to rate and review this story