Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > Shreya To Jinx

Two Schools

by Meiriona 0 reviews

Who is Jinx? How did she become what she is? Begins in her native India on her third birthday. Rated teen.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Jinx - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-02-11 - Updated: 2006-02-12 - 1771 words

0Unrated
Revised version of this chapter, becuase I didn't like the plotholes it left before. Thanks to those who pointed them out, hope I made this lackluster chapter a bit better this time around.
All characters copyright their respective owners. Plot elements created by author unless otherwise specified.
Hindu and Sanscrit spelled phoneticaly.
"So now what, I go to Kalkatta, the one place where a female can have divine visions? If you say so."
Jinx had a bundle containing a few blankets, two spare saris and all the money she had managed to scavenge from the wreckage. Using that, her own knowledge and her uncanny appearance, she managed her pilgrimage to Kalighat, the temple of Kali in the city now known as Calcutta. She took a place there where many other women served. It was not lavish, she served as any poor woman, but it was good. There she celebrated the Kali Puja, but as the ceremony was finished, she was taken from the temple by policemen. When she was taken into custody, Jinx was outraged.
"How DARE you treat me like a common Dacoit! I am a servant of Kali!" She removed the garlands of flowers from her hair, which had been plaited, and not cut for several years, so it cascaded down her back causing the men, British surely, to gasp at its hue. Jinx, despite being one fourth Brit herself, and fluent in English, the loyalty to her country caused the prejudice to form very early.
"I will not be confined like a criminal!" The men would hear nothing of it, and insisted they had proof of prostitution at the temple, in which she had been a part. Of course, there had been no such thing, but that never stopped them. Jinx hated the European cultures, no matter how much Guru had praised them, drilled their ways into her mind. It wasn†t natural, there was no respect for the full cycle.
"I was raised better than that, good sirs, if you would accept the word of a midwife that I am pure, I will submit to such examination from a woman." Unfortunately, this wasn†t enough; there had been trouble between the poor devotees and the Brahmin recently. Many of the women had been taken to assure things would calm down. Jinx, young and exotic as she was, was prime candidate to take as evidence of such a scheme.
Unfortunately, Jinx lost control after many accusations and taunts. She knew her family was Brahmin, she deserved much more respect. Outraged, she screamed, her power exploding from her body, bringing the building's walls down around her and the stunned officers. It was then it was decided that she was to be taken to America.
"There they have suitable containment for meta-humans such as her. They will rehabilitate her, perhaps she will even use her powers for good." They went on and on about how she could be out saving the world with proper training.
Hello, that†s what I've been doing! Before she knew it, Jinx was on a plane to California.
'Meta-human? I'm just as human as you. Maybe more so. Pigs.' Jinx spent the entire ride muttering insults in Hindustani, sometimes forcing herself to speak them in English. She knew very well that if she appeared to cling to her culture, they would take it from her. India had to remain her own, private.
"Welcome to Darkwave Prep, Jinx. We are very happy to have you with us; in fact we have a nice room all ready for you." A woman with bleach blonde hair and a skirt too short to be a belt was addressing her, bent over so everyone could see her implants.
"Let me guess, you made it pink?" Jinx was not impressed; she was ten years old, not five. She wasn't the oldest here, thank gods, but she was in the upper ages. No one there could be much more than thirteen. Looking around she noticed the perky slogans on the walls, the obscenely bight colored COSTUMES the kids wore. There was no other word for it; they were nothing like a proper garment. Capes and hoods and flashy gloves, not even the nice sundress style she had admired.
"Actually, its buttercup yellow."
"Got anything in gym mat grey?" Jinx shot back, amazed that her English was seemingly taken for granted. Hopefully they would have something dark or plain and soothing.
Of course not, she managed to get a room in a dull blue, after much wheedling. Darkwave was apparently a center for children with special abilities who had gone though traumatizing events. In theory she should fit right in. The problem was that she had to share her room with two other girls, who had a sickening obsession with Disney. Mena, who could project pictures on objects, was holed up in front of the VCR. Sasha, who could sense fear, was shouting at her about what movie to watch.
"Beauty and the beast!"
"Cinderella!"
"Beast!"
"Cindy!"
"BEAST!"
"CINDY!"
"Shut up." Jinx slammed her history book shut. "How about we watch something we haven†t already seen forty times this week."
Both of the girls stared at her as if she'd grown an extra head.
"Move over." Jinx pushed the feuding twerps out of her way and pulled out the first movie she did not recognize. If she had to sit through stupid American culture, she might as well see something new for a change.
"This one."
"Sleeping beauty? That one's so boring."
"Yeah"
Ignoring them completely, Jinx popped the tape in. After the complaining stopped, all three sat mesmerized for the whole movie. While the others were trying to make themselves a dress like Aurora, Jinx was fashioning a Maleficent headdress.
"Jinx, eww. Why do you want to be the creepy witch?"
"She's not creepy, she's cool"
"She's UGLY"

This continued for several hours, until Jinx went off to class wearing her new headgear. It clashed so much with her white sari, and she wasn†t allowed dye, that Jinx was eagerly awaiting her monthly outing. She would spend all her pocket money on a new dress. Maybe she could get something black, or deep purple. Whatever it was, she wanted it dark. Dark like Kali.

Once she got to the market, Jinx asked around the shops for help. A girl who must have been seventeen showed her a few magazines, introducing her to a style called 'Gothic Lolita' , which she fell in love with immediately. She got herself a cheap purple dress and boots, and realized that her headdress made her hair stand up, which looked very cool. She kept the cheap clothes for a few months until she could afford a few nicer ones that went better with her new Taurus hairstyle. Jinx focused a lot of her energy into fashion, because everyone else at the school was worrying about helping people. They even went so far as to pretend they were heroes or something, rushing around the grounds, saving imaginary kittens from trees.

It was a while before she got the change of scenery she wanted, and she was so glad to be away from the goody goodies of Darkwave. At lucky thirteen, she was transferred to a new group, the Hive Academy for Extraordinary Young People. Hopefully it would be a step up. The girls who smuggled her books from occult shops had only good things to say about it, so if they could be trusted, it would be good.

Day one in the Hive academy. Jinx was a bit nervous, the place was so big. And what if they expected her to go save the world or some such crap? 'I'm not one of those guys, I look out for myself. Justice my foot. Kali gives me my mission; I don't have time to save the world from itself.' But the headmistress's aid had assured her that she would fit right in. Clutching her books to her chest, she was escorted to her first class. History of Terror. What type of a school was this?
Puzzled, she walked into the room. It was a lecture hall, much as she expected. The class fell silent as she entered, staring and whispering. After a moment though, they went back to their chatter. Jinx observed the other students; they didn't look like superheroes, that was for sure. For one thing they all had better fashion sense. Was it an unwritten rule that to do 'good' you have to lose all common sense?

After a few moments, she was sure. "See, I nabbed it from right under that slug brain's nose." A rather short boy dressed in green was bragging, holding up a beautiful silver watch. "This'll be worth at least a new modem" The other boy, seeming much older than him, was grinning a bit foolishly. Seeing that the only empty seat was by the pair, Jinx made her way across the room, sitting down without a word.
"Hey, a newbie!" The short one seemed interested in bugging her. She should've known better than to sit in the front row. "What's your name? Cotton candy hair? Pink princess?"
The larger one clapped him over the shoulder. "Don't tease her; she's just a little girl. Don't want to make her cry."
They had to stuff their faces into each other†s shoulders to muffle the laughter. Jinx smiled, it wasn†t the rude teasing she had known before, and no one was throwing things or using strong curses. But they would know she wasn't that easy to pick on. Grinning broadly, Jinx sent out her powers. The chair the larger one was on collapsed. "Geez Mammoth, lay off the burgers next time."
"That wasn't me!"
"Right then, what was it?" still laughing, right until the backpack fizzled and sparked, shocking the goggle wearing boy.
"CRUD!"
"Aw MAN Gizmo, that was classic, who did that?"
Well, her turn to speak up. "Name's Jinx. Looks like you boys are out of luck, aren't you?"
Intros followed; Gizmo, Mammoth, See-More, Kyd Wykkyd, Billy Numerous, and Bumblebee. With a simple prank, she had been accepted. 'Looks like I'll be fitting in here just fine' Jinx mused, quite glad to fit in somewhere for a change. The students all seemed to share one major thought, they had to look out for number one.
Soon it was revealed that her charge of guarding the 'gem' might be made difficult. Even though she was in the same city, Raven was trying to make up for the damage she would inevitably cause. This would put them on opposing sides.
Sign up to rate and review this story