Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Something's Wrong series

Return

by Anaknisatanas 0 reviews

Harry and Co return from the holidays

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Blaise Zabini,Harry,Poppy Pomfrey - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-14 - Updated: 2008-06-14 - 6030 words

0Unrated


RETURN

AN: reviews appreciated. I hope that people like the story so far.





The train ride back to Hogwarts was interesting. Ron, Hermione and Ginny grabbed a compartment together joined by Neville. All other Executive Council members except the Slytherins stopped in to say hi. Cho brought Mariettaby their compartment. The Ravenclaw was ashamed to meet anyone's eyes and Ginny glared furiously at the betrayer of the old DA.



"How was your Christmas Marietta?" Harry asked politely.



"It could have been better," Marietta glanced at Harry hesitantly. "I just wanted to apologize to you for last year, betraying the DA the way I did. I've learned things since then and I won't do something like that again."



"It's all right Marietta," Harry brushed off her apology. "Everything is over and done with from then."



"You were right about everything Harry," Mariettalooked down at her clasped hands. "I know now that the Ministry isn't doing much about You-Know-Who. I was wondering if you could re-start the DA, I'd like to learn to defend myself and others against Death Eaters."



Harry looked over at Hermione. The girl of the famed Golden Trio nodded and withdrew her wand. She cast several silencing spells and locking charms on the compartment before putting her wand away.



"Would you be willing to cast an oath that you won't betray us Marietta,"Harry studied the Seventh Year before him.



"I'll do whatever I need to do Harry," Mariettavowed.



Hermione pulled out the written contract she had prepared for the regular members of the Order. She wordlessly passed it to Mariettawho began to read through it. Finally she accepted the quill from Hermione and signed her name to it after repeating the short verbal part aloud. A soft blue glow surrounded her for a moment before fading.



"Good it worked," Cho said in relief. "I think that Justin and Ernie were going to stop by with Dorothy Owens and Nathan Collins so keep the parchment out for now."



"See you later Cho," Hermione called as Cho pulled Mariettafrom their compartment.



Ginny sat on the seat across from Harry with her arms folded across her chest and a frown on her face. It was clear that she was not pleased with Marietta joining their ranks.



"Did you have to let Marietta join?" Ginny petulantly complained.



"Gin she swore the oath and signed the parchment," Ron pointed out. "Plus I think that she was really sorry. We'll need all the support we can get at school."



"Ginny give her another chance," Neville added from beside Harry.



Nathan Collins, Dorothy Owens and Megan Jones from Hufflepuff were brought in and swore the oath and signed the parchment. Lisa Turpin from Ravenclaw was brought in by Terry Boot almost directly after the Hufflepuffs had cleared out. After a while Harry sent Neville out to locate Seamus and Dean. Their fellow dorm mates entered into the compartment and greeted each of them in turn before Harry and Ron explained abit about the Founders Order. Both Seamus and Dean were eager to join up and swore the oath and signed the parchment. Harry sent both of them to recruit other Gryffindors throughout the week.



Hermione herded everyone into changing into their school robes before the train had pulled into the station. Hedwig was let out of her cage but instead of flying off to the owlryshe remained on Harry's shoulder. The snowy owl basked in the attention her master gave her, cooing and occasionally nipping on his ear. Before they climbed into the carriages that would take them up to school Hedwig flew off to Hogwarts.



Harry rode up to the castle with Neville, Hannah and Ernie from Hufflepuff, and Su and Lisa from Ravenclaw. Talk was mostly about their Christmases and other idle chit chat rather than Order business. Harry did stress that they needed to keep their ears and eyes open for possible members and Voldemort supporters. Ernie passed out Chocolate Frogs to everyone and Harry gave the girls red licorice ropes. The carriage stopped near the front entrance of the castle and the students made their way inside to the Great Hall.



Hermione sat down beside Harry and Ron sat on the other side of the Muggleborn witch. She pulled out one of her ever present notebooks and thumbed through it. Ron glanced over her shoulder and had her make a note that they would need to go into the Forbidden Forestand convince the centaurs to aid them. Hermione was a bit reluctant to add that to their schedule that week but when Harry agreed with Ron she put it down on paper making a note to see if there were any books on centaurs. Harry told her not to worry about it because he had studied them over the summer.



The welcome back feast was full of laughter and ease as the students and staff stuffed their faces. Dobby, Harry's House Elf friend, had made sure to make plenty of Treacle Tart. After his third helping he sat back with acontented sigh.



"Where's Blaise?" Hermione whispered into his ear. "I haven't seen him at the Slytherin Table at all during the Feast. He's supposed to be here."



Harry sat up straight and his gaze fell on the Slytherins. Sure enough there was no sign of Blaise Zabini at their table. His stomach began to do nervous flips. He knew there was something wrong if Blaise was not there to give the required signal that things were going well.



"Cover for me guys, I'll see what I can find out," Harry said slipping away from the table without giving either Ron or Hermione much of a chance to protest.



Harry pulled out the Marauders Map and his father's Invisibility Cloak from his pockets. He pulled the Cloak over himself and activated the Map. Blaise's dot was in the dungeons, in an area that was rarely traversed by students, and his dot remained in the same place. Anxiously Harry quickly went down into the bowels of the school. He could see that he was getting closer to Blaise but there were no doors. When he was on the other side of the wall from Blaise he began searching for a hidden doorway. After poking around a few crevices in the stonework he pressed a bit of stone that gave way and with asharp click part of the wall slid back and to the side opening into a hidden room.



A huddled shape was lying on the floor. With aquiet 'Lumos!' to light up the space Harry could tell that it was Blaise and he had been beaten badly. From the looks of it someone had been going over him for at least a couple of days. Hurriedly Harry checked for a pulse and found a threadyone. He conjured a stretcher and moved the unconscious Slytherin onto it. Harry ran through the halls toward the Hospital Wing with the stretcher moving behind him.



"Madame Pomfrey!" Harry screamed when he entered the ward. "Madame Pomfreyhurry!"



The mediwitch poked her head out of her office and was about to reprimand Harry when she caught sight of the stretcher and the beaten body that lay upon it.



"Oh dear me," She breathed. "Quickly Mr. Potter place Mr. Zabini onto a bed. Careful now."



The mediwitch began her diagnostic spells.



"Grab me ablood replenisher potion and a heavy pain potion Mr. Potter," Madame Pomfrey snapped out directions. "And bring the bruise cream as well."



Having spent so much time in the infirmary Harry knew where Madame Pomfreykept her Potions. Quickly he grabbed the asked for potions and returned to the mediwitchesside. He helped her to pour them down Blaise's throat.



"Do you have any idea who did this Mr. Potter?" Poppy Pomfreyquestioned sternly.



"No ma'am,"Harry said. "Hopefully Blaise will be able to say who when he wakes up. Do you mind if I spend the night here? I don't feel good about leaving Blaise alone."



"Very well Mr. Potter," Poppy relented. "You may stay the night but I expect you to go to class in the morning."



"Of course Madame Pomfrey," Harry agreed.



Several hours after the Feast had ended Hermione and Ron came barreling into the infirmary. Ron was panting for breath and when Hermione caught sight of Harry sitting up in one of the beds she rushed over and gave him a quick hug.



"Where've you been mate?" Ron asked.



"I found Blaise," Harry spoke softly so as not to disturb the Slytherin in the next bed over. "He's been beaten, tortured for the past few days."



"Oh no,"Hermione looked worriedly at Harry. "So Nott found out he was spying?"



"It looks that way," Harry nodded. "But we won't know for certain until Blaise wakes up. He had three broken ribs and two cracked ones, broken right arm and hand, broken left leg, a concussion, blood loss from the cutting curse used on him over and over after healing it partway, bruises over sixty percent of his body and a broken nose. Madame Pomfreymended his nose, hand and arm pretty well but he'll be in the infirmary for the coming week probably."



"I'll let Draco know," Ron said. "Are you going to be ok mate?"



"I think so," Harry sighed. "I just feel so bad about asking him to spy and then having this happen."



"It's not your fault Harry," Hermione softly rubbed his shoulders. "He knew what he was doing. Professor Snape talked with him about his own spying on Voldemort. Blaiseknew what could happen. Get some sleep tonight. I'll have your books for you down at breakfast tomorrow."



"Thanks Mione," Harry gave the witch a rueful smile.



Ron and Hermione bid Harry a goodnight and left the hospital wing before Madame Pomfrey could throw them out for disturbing her patient. Harry continued to sit on his bed and stare at Blaise's still form. He watched the chest continue to rise and fall showing that Blaise was still alive even though he looked more than half dead. Madame Pomfrey came out of her office and checked over Blaise one last time.



"Can Itrust you to look after him tonight Harry?" Poppy asked the green eyed man.



"I'll look after him," Harry promised. "Are there any potions he needs to take tonight? Should I apply the salve again?"



"If his body tenses up that means he's probably in pain so give him a mild pain reliever," Poppy told him. "The bruise salve needs to be applied in another hour but I'll leave you to do that. If you'd like I can loan you a book on common healing techniques used during the war against Grindelwald."



"I'd like that," Harry smiled.



"Come with me then," Poppy turned and headed back to her office.



Harry slipped off his bed and followed the mediwitch. Her office was cluttered with parchments and books open here and there on various surfaces. Poppy began rooting through one stack of books on the edge of her desk and finally pulled a somewhat thick volume from under a few heavier books.



"Now Harry maybe you can explain to me why you continue to look at Mr. Zabiniwith an expression of guilt on your face?" Poppy's stern blue gaze bored into him.



"You won't tell anyone?" He sounded hesitant and lost.



"I've never told anyone anything that you've asked me to keep confidential Mr. Potter,"Poppy sniffed in offense. "I'm not about to start now. Not unless you were the one who did this to Mr. Zabini."



"I did though, in a way," Harry hurried to explain. "I asked him to spy on Theo Nott and his group of junior Death Eaters. They must have found out and were torturing him and beating him, probably for information. But we kept everything but the essentials from him in case something like this happened, I just never expected him to get caught before we pulled him out. I should never have let him spy for us."



"Harry, look at me," Poppy placed a hand under his chin and lifted up his head. "You did not do this to Mr. Zabini. He had achoice in his actions. What I want to know is why you felt it necessary to form your own group when the Headmaster already has a group opposing You-Know-Who."



"Dumbledore keeps things from me," Harry laughed bitterly. "He shouldn't. He should be training me but he barely does even that. How am I supposed to defeat Voldemort if I don't even have the training or the knowledge to attempt it?"



"Why do you think you have to kill You-Know-Who?" Poppy asked gently.



"Because of a stupid Prophecy!" Harry choked out. "It says that I'm the only one who can kill him and that it all comes down to me and him in the end. So I formed a group. I have Gryffindors, Slytherins, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs and even people who no longer go to Hogwarts or went to different schools."



"All right Harry," Poppy pulled a single dose vial from one of her large apron pockets. "This is a calming draught. I want you to take this before you go to bed, it will help you get to sleep. If you need anything let me know. I don't know what Albus is thinking but clearly he hasn't been, not when it comes to you. I know about your Muggle relatives and your scar. That's more than enough reason for me to keep my mouth shut about anything that you're up to."



"Thanks Poppy," Harry flashed her a weak grin. "I'll go and sit with Blaisenow and put the salve on him before I turn in for the night. You should get some sleep to. Quidditch practice starts again next week."



"I'm well aware of that Mr. Potter," Poppy snorted. "Especially because I can expect you to wind up here at least once this month from that brutal game."



Harry chuckled as he left the mediwitch's office. He trusted Poppy Pomfrey. She had known about the Dursley'sin his first year and had tried to inform the Headmaster with Harry's consent but the old man had not given her testimony much weight. He supposed it was surprising that he was not more put out with Dumbledore than he already was.



The Headmaster had manipulated his life in so many ways. Most of what the bad things that had happened to him had been because of those manipulations in one way or another. Harry had accepted being placed with the Dursley's. He could see how Dumbledore might consider them to be safer than with a Wizarding family since few of Voldemort's followers would be able to find him in the Muggle world. It still hurt that no one had bothered to check up on him in all the years that he had been with the Dursley's. Arabella Figg did not really count since she had no idea what went on inside the house.



Harry took the jar of bruise cream and pulled the sheet from Blaise'sbody. The bruises were still dark black and all over. He levitated Blaise from the bed and started on his legs; working the cream in gently after warming it in his hands as Poppy had taught him the year before. He noticed how tense Blaise's muscles were as he worked up Blaise'slegs and then to his midsection and back. Once he was finished with Blaise's face he went to the hospital wing's potion stores and removed a muscle relaxant and amild pain potion. He poured little bits into Blaise's slack mouth and stroked his throat to get the unconscious Slytherin to swallow it down. Gently he lowered Blaiseback onto the bed and covered him with a sheet and blanket before climbing into the next bed. Gratefully he swallowed the calming draught Poppy had given him and lay down to sleep.



Morning seemed to come too soon. Harry woke to the sounds of Poppy bustling around the hospital wing. Blaisewas still out like a light in the next bed. Harry sat up and ran a hand through his disheveled hair as he let out ajaw popping yawn.



"Good you're awake," Poppy said as she grabbed the jar of bruise cream from beside Blaise's bed. "You can help me apply another coat to Mr. Zabini before you take a shower and head down to breakfast. I believe that your friend Dobby left you a uniform on that chair over there."



"Looks like it," Harry climbed out of bed and began rubbing some of the cream in his hands to warm it. "I gave Blaisea muscle relaxant last night along with the mild pain potion. His muscles were really tight and tense when I was rubbing in the bruise cream."



"Glad you can think on your feet," Poppy nodded approvingly as they worked. "He should be waking up sometime this afternoon. I believe you have class withHagrid. If you wish you can leave his class early to come and check on Blaiseand be here when he wakes. I'll give you a note you can give to Hagrid."



"Thanks Poppy," Harry relaxed as they chatted over the Slytherins prone form.



Breakfast was normal if one could ignore the tension radiating from the Slytherin table. Draco Malfoy sat on one end of the table with Pansy and Daphne while Nott sat on the other surrounded by his faction. The other Slytherins were in between the two.



Classes were normal if one dismissed Nott trying to cast a cutting curse at Draco's back in the halls as they went to Charms class. And Millicent falling down the stairs because of a Jelly-Legs jinx from Pansy was not customary but it was fun to see. Nott and Harry glaring at each other all throughout Charms and Transfiguration was not too uncommon but Nott's veiled threats all during class was a new element. When it was time for Care of Magical Creatures Harry was only too relieved to have Madame Pomfrey's note to present to Hagrid.



The kind groundkeeper and Harry's first friend in the Wizarding World was only too happy to let his favorite student go from that days lesson to go to the hospital wing. Harry burst into the hospital wing red faced and out of breath since he had run all the way up from Hagrid's hut. MadamePomfrey merely tutted under her breath about his appearance but did not say anything when Harry settled himself into a chair to wait by Blaise's bedside.



After an hour of taking notes for his Charms essay beside the sleeping form of Blaise the Slytherin finally began to stir. Harry called for Madame Pomfreywho rushed over and waited for the Slytherin to open his eyes. Blaise groaned and cracked open his one eye that was not swollen.



"Who's there?" He rasped.



"You're in the hospital wing Blaise," Harry placed a hand on theSlytherin's shoulder. "We arrived back at the castle yesterday afternoon. When you weren't present during the Feast Iwent looking for you and found you. You'll be here for about a week."



"Harry, he knows," Blaise stuttered a bit over the words. "Caught me and had me for three days."



"I'm so sorry Blaise," Harry clenched his hand into afist. "I should have been here; I should have had a plan in case something like this happened."



"Its fine,"Blaise blinked slowly ignoring Madame Pomfrey who was running diagnostic spells on him. "I'll live. We never thought I'd get caught, thought there would be warning before it happened but there wasn't."



"Concentrate on getting better Blaise," Harry said. "We've started recruiting and have the executive council formed and running. Things should be ready soon."



"We have aweek," Blaise reminded Harry who merely rolled his eyes.



"Yes but we'll manage," Harry was hopeful. "We got seven members yesterday. Hermione and I will be swearing in at least that many tonight. Any insights to Slytherin?"



"Try Julian Hollings, he's a seventh year," Blaise replied with certainty. "Paul Moriarty, Queenie Smythe and Gabriella Dunstan from fifth year too."



"Good work Blaise," Harry patted the injured man on the shoulder. "I'm going to track down Draco and tell him those names. He's also planning to approach Emily Moon in fifth year as well."



"Forgot about her," Blaise gave a weak smile as he sagged against his pillows tiredly. "She's always so quiet. Good dueler though. Level head on her shoulders and all that."



"Mr. Potter I'm going to have to ask that you leave my patient to his rest," Madame Pomfrey insisted. "You make come back in the morning since Mr. Zabiniwill be dosed up with potions all through the night."



Harry gathered up his books and notes he had been working on. Madame Pomfreyhanded him a mild sleeping draught just in case he needed one. He waved farewell to Blaiseand headed down to the Great Hall for supper.



Afterwards Parvati and Padma Patil, Lavender Brown, Katie Bell, Jack Sloper. Andrew Kirke, Eloise Midgen and Kenneth Bundy met up with Harry and Hermione in the Room of Requirement. Each person swore the oath and signed the parchment bringing the total number up to fifteen. Tomorrow Harry hoped to have the five Slytherins Blaise had suggested take the oath and sign.



Back in the Gryffindor Common Room Hermione pulled Harry over to a secluded corner and kept away anyone wanting to discuss the Order with him while he worked on his homework. Hermione's long practiced glare used on people who interrupted her studying deterred everyone, and not even Ginny and Ron who were not phased by her glare came over to speak to Harry. All in all he had a productive evening and even had time for a quick game of chess with Ron where he ended up losing badly.



That morning before breakfast Harry hurried up to the owleryand sent Hedwig off with a letter to Narcissa. Draco's mother had been insistent that he write to her at least once aweek if not more often. Harry had never had anyone to write to before with regular consistency outside of Order business and he relished the thought of exchanging letters about nothing more important than the things he was learning in school and his day to day life. At the Gryffindor table Harry was approached by nearly six would be members of his Order who were interested in learning to 'defend' themselves against Dementors and Death Eaters.



It was surprising how well that rumor worked to see who might be interested in joining the Founders Order. His reputation of the DA last year and all the facts that had come out over the summer of the fight in the Department of Mysteries and his duel against Voldemort at the end of fourth year only helped to attract more interested people. Draco signaled Harry that he had received the message from the school owl and would speak to the Slytherins it mentioned. By the end of the day they had twenty-eight members not counting the executive council.



At the end of the week the Founders Order boasted a membership of roughly sixty. Harry felt it was time to make plans to appropriate the school from Dumbledore's control. The executive council along with Blaise who had just been released from the hospital wing that afternoon, met in the Room of Requirement after dinner. Dobby brought in plenty of desserts for everyone present before happily popping away to the kitchens.



"Everyone settle in and pay attention," Harry called the meeting to order. "We have sixty-three members in the Order now. It's time we started planning how to take the school from Dumbledore or how to move everyone to the Manor if need be."



"If we intend to take the school we'll need more Professors on our side," Roger pointed out. "Professor Snape is very useful but he's not enough."



"I think we should consider approaching Professor Flitwick," Cho set down her cup of tea. "He's not amember of Dumbledore's group and he'll at least listen to what we have to say without jumping to conclusions or judging us as children."



"He is very fair," Hermione added. "And a very good dueler and Charms Master."



"Who wants to approach him then?" Harry asked.



"I'm willing to," Pansy volunteered. "Susan and Su Li would you two come with me? If we have members of more than one house it will show him that we're serious about this and that we aren't letting past grudges divide us."



"Should we go Sunday?" Susan looked at the Slytherin witch. "Professor Flitwickhas office hours then. I'm sure that he'd be willing to ward his office if we tell him that we need to speak to him about something important."



"I can take care of any portraits who might spy on us to the Headmaster in his office,"Pansy smirked. "Mother felt it was worth knowing before I came to Hogwarts."



"Fine then," Harry decided. "You need to meet with Flitwick before dinner. I want one of you three to tell me how the meeting went and what he said. Have him swear a Wizards Oath to not tell anyone about what you discuss in his office. We can't afford to have word get back to Dumbledore before we're ready for him."



"Aye, aye mate," Seamus saluted.



Harry disregarded Seamus' mockery and pulled on his heavy black cloak. Draco and Hermione took over the meeting, splitting the executive council up among the regular members to help train them. Harry secured a knife in his boot and another at his side before placing his wand in his arm holster.



Hermione gave him a smile before he disappeared out the door. The sun was sinking fast as Harry headed outside and toward the Forbidden Forest. Smoke was coming up from the chimney of Hagrid's Hut. It appeared that no one else was outside in the cold evening. The Forest loomed dark ahead but Harry did not let that bother him as he slipped in among the trees taking care not to use his wand for light so that no one from the castle could see his position from the Forest.



The edges of the Forest were clear from most underbrush for which Harry was fervently thankful. He slowed down a few paces into the trees hoping that he would not trip too much until he was far enough in to use his wand to guide his path. Although he had not said anything to anyone he planned to visit the Acromantulas as well as the Centaurs. As he went deeper into the Forbidden Forest he could smell the dampness that was already gathered on the ground. After stumbling over a few upturned roots Harry finally felt that he was far enough into the Forest to risk a bit of light so he lit up the tip of his wand.



He did not expect to find the Centaurs. He expected the Centaurs to come to him. Sure enough he could hear something with hooves approaching closer to his position. Harry remained standing where he was, wand lit and held in a non-threatening gesture. Soon he was surrounded by four Centaurs, a spear pointed at his chest.



"Leave our Forestwizard!" Bane commanded. "If any of you or your kind return we shall slay you!"



"Certainly not the best way to begin negotiations," Harry pushed the sense of panic he felt bubbling to the surface aside. "We have things to discuss this night Seers of the Skies. Will you listen or foolishly turn your backs on your future?"



"Silence wizard!" Bane snarled stepping forward. "We want none of your kind here."



"Do not think that you can keep us all out," Harry warned his tone like ice. "The Dark Lord will come for you eventually and he will see you either enslaved like common mules or slaughtered like cattle."



"And you think you can offer us aid wizard child?" Bane glared at him with contempt. "Your kind has no honor."



"That is true for most of my kind," Harry acknowledged. "But I intend to do my best by you if you'll allow it. Perhaps you hold too much pride Bane, to hear my words, but your compatriots haven't said they wish me to stay silent."



"Hold Bane," Ronan, one of the more level-headed Centaurs held up a hand. "I would hear what Harry Potter wishes to say."



Bane stamped the ground in irritation but kept silent.



"You know Voldemort holds no love for your kind," Harry began drawing in a breath. "And you also know that the Ministry is the same. Dumbledore might respect you but he does little to help you. I have split from Dumbledore and together with others formed my own faction. We are going to fight against Voldemort but we also have plans to change the Wizarding World. We want to give rights to Goblins, Centaurs, Werewolves and Vampires. You are all intelligence creatures just as we humans are."



"And what rights would these be Harry Potter?" Ronan asked simply.



"For one we wish you to have your own representative on a Council in the government," Harry roughly outlined some of the ideas he and a few others on the executive council had come up with. "We also wish you to have a court to judge trespassers which would be mostly run by Centaurs but we also feel that some humans and Goblins and other creatures should sit on the judging panel. You would have Forests that are for you and yours and the ability to hold yearly or bi-monthly or however often you require, meetings between your leaders."



Ronan raised a brow in surprise, the only betrayal of his feeling. The things Harry had suggested were unheard of in Wizarding society.



"And what would you require of us wizard?" Bane demanded.



"Merely that you not aid Voldemort and his followers," Harry breathed a silent sigh of relief as the spear withdrew from his chest.



"We will consider your words Harry Potter," Ronan glanced up through the trees at the stars. "Come seek us again on the rising of the new moon."



"Might Irequest to stay a bit longer in the Forest?" Harry asked. "I intend to call upon Aragog, clan leader of the Acromantula."



"Seek him at your own risk Harry Potter," Ronan replied. "Know that he will listen to you if you speak true."



"Thank you for your words Ronan," Harry bowed his head. "May the skies remain clear and open to your gaze."



The Centaurs turned and melted away deeper into the Forest. Harry waited for several moments just savoring the fact that he was still breathing. His calculated risk had paid off. The stars were peeking out now as he hurried in the direction where the Acromantula's had their lair. He held back a shudder as he looked above him at the giant spiders in the trees. The clicks of their hungry pincers came to his ears as he drew down into the valley where Aragog lived.



Aragog, leader of the Arcomantulain the Forbidden Forest, was roused by his children's clicking and he came out of his lair. His eyes searched the ground and spotted Harry who moved slowly closer to the giant father of the Acromantula.



"Ah friend of Hagrid," Aragog came all the way out of his lair. "Do you not appreciate your own life?"



"I do Aragog," Harry stood straight. "But you owe me for killing your mortal foe in the Chamber of Secrets."



"I had wondered if you would speak of it," Aragog snapped his mighty pincers together. "You are bold friend of Hagrid. What boon do you ask of me for the favor you have done for my children and me?"



"Be friend to me as you are to Hagrid," Harry demanded with an assurance he did not feel.



"And if I could do better than that?" Aragog challenged.



"Friendship comes with its own price Aragog," Harry said. "I might want more but I don't need it so Iwon't ask more from you."



"Wise, friend of Hagrid," Aragogchuckled. "Come closer."



Nervously Harry walked forward. Aragog's children surrounded the clearing where their father lived. Their pincers clicked together as they watched.



"Hold out your hand friend of Hagrid," Aragoginstructed.



Harry, through force of will, stilled the trembling in his arms and held out his hand. Aragogbent his head down and one of his fangs scratched the back of Harry's hand. The venom caused the light wound to sting horribly for a brief moment while the numbing agents took affect.



"Drink of my milk friend of Hagrid," Aragogcommanded, venom dripping from a fang.



Warily Harry opened his mouth and felt some of the milky white venom slipped from Aragog's fang into his mouth. He swallowed the slightly bitter fluid and stepped back.



"We have exchanged life fluids now," Aragog explained. "As such you are bonded into my clan, friend of Hagrid. If you have need of me or my children you can call us through your mark, likewise we can call upon you for aid."



"Thank you Aragog," Harry's shoulders sagged in relief. "You can call me Harry."



"Farewell then Harry," Aragog rumbled. "One of my children will return you to the edge of the Forest."



Harry watched as the giant old spider back into his lair. One of Aragog'schildren came forward and Harry climbed onto its hairy back. The spider took off covering ground quickly. It paused near the edge of the Forestand Harry slid off its back. The spider gave a few sharp clicks and lifted one of its feet in a farewell gesture before gliding back into the inky blackness between the trees.



Pulling the heavy black cloak around him and holding securely to his wand Harry made his way back up to the castle. Entering the castle he sought the safety of the dungeons. Severus pulled him inside and locked the door behind him.



"Where is your Invisibility Cloak?" Severus growled as he stomped back over to the fire. "Someone could have seen you."



"I hugged the shadows," Harry shrugged half-heartedly as he removed the heavy black cloak from his shoulders. "Can I stay the night?"



Severus merely shot Harry an incredulous look before returning to marking essays. Harry simply shook his head and pulled out the sixth year potions text from the selves that held the current student books in his rooms. He settled on the rug before the fire and began reading. He must have dozed off for the next thing he was aware of was Severus prodding him gently in the shoulder to get up and get ready for bed. Harry showered quickly and changed into a pair of his pajamas before climbing into the huge bed next to Severus.



"I don't know why I bother," Severus glanced over at him as he burrowed under the covers. "You never get any work done here."



"Sure I do Sev," Harry yawned. "But I've had a busy night. I had to visit some Centaurs and giant spiders. Do you have any itching cream? This scratch is driving me crazy."



"Show me,"Severus commanded.



Harry held out his hand to the Potions Master. Severus peered closely at the scratch given to him by Aragog. Wandlessly he summoned a jar of salve and placed a bit over the mark.



"I got it from Aragog's fang," Harry explained Severus' unasked question. "Aragogis the leader of the Acromantula in the Forbidden Forest. And then after that he had me drink some of his venom from his fang and said we were bonded. If I ever need them I can call and they'll come, it works for them too. Neat, huh?"



Severus gave a weary sigh and sank back against his pillows not daring to answer. There was no point. Harry always managed something that should be impossible. The Gryffindor always had to do things that made Severus want to throttle him or lock him in a tower to keep him from doing anything else so foolish and risky. Instead he merely put out the candles and let Harry's calm steady breathing lull him to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story