Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Nine

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death. Have a person whose a problem? She's the one to call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-16 - Updated: 2008-06-16 - 1154 words

0Unrated
Piero led me down a long hallway, until we finally reached an enormous ballroom. It was crowded with people, mostly immortal, but I saw a few humans, most turned to stare at us as we entered.
Circe came forward, smiling, and grasped my hand.
“Finally,” she said, “the guest of honor appears.”
I wanted to scream that I wasn’t here willingly, that I wanted no part of this. But instead I let her draw me forward, knowing that any kind of resistance would prove bad for Peter.
Piero smiled at Circe, pressing a possessive hand against my back, as we moved farther into the ballroom.
Almost as if our arrival was a cue, the music started and people began to dance.
Piero led me to a chair, and sat me down.
“I shall return to dance with you soon my dear,” he said, “I just have pressing buisness.”
He reached over and kissed me, as I stiffened, then he turned and disappeared.
Circe had disappeared too, and I wished I could get up and run, find Peter and escape. But I knew, even though it didn’t seem like it, I was being watched.
Jericho came out of the crowd and sat next to me.
“I know you must hate me Chalise,” he said quietly as I ignored him. “But not as much as I hate myself.”
I turned and stared at him in surprise.
“I made a mistake,” he said softly, looking around to make sure no one was listening.
“As much as I want peace,” he said, “I’ve let a madman take command over how to achieve it.”
He shook his head, “Piero is not a good man,” he said softly, “he does not want peace. Not like I do, he wants you, because he desires you in his bed. And he wants your child, so he can control it.”
He took my hands, looking around again.
“You love the human,” he said softly, “now I see, now I know that you two belong together.”
He quickly stood, drawing me up with him.
“Come,” he said, leading me through the ballroom. “Before they notice that you’re missing.”
He led me through a small door and down a hall, until he came to a large steel door.
“The entrance to the dungeon,” he said softly, “I bribed the guards to look the other way for a few minutes.”
Quickly he unlocked the door, and opened it, ushering me inside. We stepped into a long hallway, filled with doors, and Jericho hurried down it, until he came to the last one.
He unlocked it, and pushed the door open, going inside, as I followed him.
I gasped when I saw Peter, lying on the cot, badly beaten.
Quickly, I lifted my dress and hurried over, kneeling beside him.
“What have they done to you?” I whispered softly and he opened his eyes, smiling at me.
“Chalise,” he whispered, bringing a hand out to touch my face. “I must be dreaming.”
I shook my head, the tears in my eyes making him blurry.
“I’m here Peter,” I said, “to rescue you.”
Quickly I helped him up, and we started for the door.

“I knew I couldn’t trust you,” Piero said, standing in the hallway as we went out.
He smirked at Jericho, “you’re an old sentimental fool Jericho,” he said. “Unable to see the bigger picture.”
He looked at me, “she carries the solution to our problem,” he said softly, “and you were just going to let her and the human go?”
He shook his head, making a tsking noise.
“I’m afraid,” he said softly, suddenly bringing a gun up. “That you’ve become a problem Jericho.”
He fired the gun, hitting Jericho in the stomach, as I screamed.
Jericho looked down in horror, as the bullet spread, quickly devouring him. He fell to his knees, then looked at Piero.
“This is not how you obtain peace,” he gurgled, before falling over, dead.
Piero smirked, “no,” he said softly. “It’s how you obtain control.”
He looked at me, still holding the gun.
“Come here Chalise,” he said softly, the malice apparent in his voice.
Peter pulled me backwards, stepping in front of me, so that his body shielded mine.
“How noble,” Piero sneered, “the human is willing to give his life for you?”
He raised the gun.
“I have no idea what this would do if I shot a human with it,” he said quietly. “Maybe now is the time to find out.”
“No,” I said, stepping forward and turning to Peter. “I won’t let you die,” I said softly, touching his face. “Not when I can save you, I love you to much.”
I walked forward, to Piero, who grabbed my arm in an iron grip.
“Say goodbye to your human Chalise,” he said, “you’ll never see him again.”
I looked up at Piero and realized, that he would never let Peter live. Because he knew we were in love, knew that even with the true bond, he wouldn’t control my whole heart.
I knew then, what I had to do, and I kicked out, catching Piero in the groin. He gasped in surprise, letting go of my arm and dropping the gun, as he fell to his knees.
I quickly grabbed the gun, pressing it to my stomach.
“Let him go,” I said, “or I shoot.”
“Don’t be a fool,” Circe said, stepping forward and I shook my head.
“If any of you make another move,” I said, “I’ll pull the trigger.”
The guards, and Circe stepped back, as Piero struggled to get to his feet.
“I’ll only repeat myself one more time,” I said, cocking the gun. “Let him go.”
Piero nodded and the guards stepped aside, leaving a clear path to the door.
I looked at Peter.
“Go,” I said, “leave the island quickly.”
“No,” he said, “I won’t leave without you.”
I looked into his eyes, “I love you,” I said softly. “I’ll find you, I’ll come back to you, I promise.”
Peter nodded, knowing this was the only way. And quickly pushed past the guards, running for the door.
“Now,” I said to Piero, “we’re going to make sure, he gets off the island.”
Piero nodded, the anger evident in his eyes and walked forward with me. We followed Peter, as he reached the harbor, looking back at me.
I stood there, trying to look brave, willing the tears not to fall. Watching as he got on the boat that brought us to the island and left. Watched as he disappeared on the horizon.
I turned, looking at Piero, then handed him the gun.
“Now you’re mine,” he said, sounding smug.
I shook my head, “I’ll never be yours,” I said, before turning and walking back to the palace.
Sign up to rate and review this story