Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Ten

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalis is a merchant of death. Have a person causing a problem? She's the one to call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-18 - Updated: 2008-06-18 - 691 words

0Unrated
The months passed slowly, I tried to escape a couple of times but Piero had me watched and I didn’t get to far. Finally I was eight months pregnant, and I stopped trying to escape. I didn’t want anything happening to this child, it seemed like it was the only part of Peter I had left.
I had waited for weeks, for word on Peter, either that he was alive somewhere or that he had been killed. But I heard nothing, and I wondered what had happened to him, if I would ever know.

Then one night, I was sleeping in when a noise woke me up, I sat up and realized in horror that someone was raiding the island.
Even though the war had been getting worse on the outside, lulled by a false sense of security, Circe and Piero hadn’t bothered to post many guards around the island. Now it seemed that they were paying for that arrogance.
I got out of bed as quickly as my belly would allow me, listening in fear at the screams of the dying and I wondered where I could hide.
Suddenly the door burst open, and I screamed, cowering in fear in the corner of the room, weaponless, defenseless.
A man strode into the room and for a moment I couldn’t see his face.
Then he turned on a light and I stared in shock.
“Peter,” I whispered, and he hurried across the room, sweeping me into his arms.
“I found you,” he murmured, burying his face in my hair. “I finally have you in my arms again.”
I gently caressed his face, staring into his eyes.
“I’m sorry it took me so long,” he said.
“You came back for me,” I said, “that’s all that matters.”
He looked down at my round belly and smiled, caressing it gently.
“Come on,” he said softly, helping me up. “I’m getting you out of here.”
He picked me up and carried me out of the room.
“You found her,” a man said, hurrying up to us.
Peter nodded, “I’m taking her to the boat,” he said and the man nodded.
“We’re almost done here,” he said, then turned away.
I looked at Peter, “who are the people you’re with?” I asked softly and he smiled.
“Resistance fighters,” he said. “A mixture of humans, immortals and merchants of death.”
He looked at me, “we’ve decided to end this war our own way.”
I nodded when a sudden movement made me turn my head.
Piero suddenly came out of the shadows.
“Well, well,” he snarled, “the puny human returns.”
He smirked, “this time,” he said, “I’ll get to enjoy killing you.”
Peter set me gently on my feet.
“If anything happens to me,” he said, “run for the boat. They’ll take care of you.”
I nodded, watching in wide eyed fear as Peter and Piero circled each other.
Piero made the first move, bringing out a knife and stabbing at Peter with it.
“You forget,” he taunted, “I’m an immortal. Nothing can kill me, but you on the other hand can die.”
He swiped at Peter again, just missing.
Peter finally struck, he pulled a knife out of his coat and threw it at Piero, hitting him in the arm.
Piero bellowed in pain and anger, kicking out at Peter, catching him in the face.
I cried out as Peter was knocked down and Piero smirked at me.
“Get ready,” he said, then grasped the knife, yanking it out of his arm.
He moved forward to stab Peter with it, then looked up.
I turned, just in time to see the other resistance fighters come out of the palace.
I looked back and Piero had disappeared, leaving Peter alone, kneeling and bleeding on the ground.
I ran forward as quickly as I could, and knelt awkwardly next to Peter.
“Thank God you’re safe,” he said, putting his arms around me.
I didn’t say a word, I just closed my eyes, thankful that Piero had been interrupted when he had been.
Sign up to rate and review this story